Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

25 Hc Dark Animus Tanking & Tips

Hello there,

My 25 man guild is going to start progressing on Dark Animus heroic today, and I thought I'd briefly ask here how people are handling the tanking & tank debuffs for Massive Golems and so forth.

Our tanks will most likely be Monk + Warr + either a Feral druid or DK (got plenty of dps DK's though our OT is away, are dps DK's viable as tanks in 25?)

Does it make sense to activate the two Massives at slightly different times in order to not have their abilities at the same time, or does that interfere with the tank debuffs / debuff reseting?

How do you find it easiest to reset the tank debuffs? And when do you do so?

Any other 25 heroic specific tips you might have?

Thank you for your inputs!

Edit: How do you deal with Anima fonts during the beginning when small golems are still being killed? Ie can't gather up yet and have the person run away / take a portal. Does anyone know the range on Anima Font?
    Last edited by mmoc94cac24f38; 2013-06-25 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Added a question

I've seen vids of people activating dark animus right away

Quote Originally Posted by Shiinji View Post
    I've seen vids of people activating dark animus right away
    On Heroic, he activates automatically when you pull.

Deleted
    Yeah it's not Dark Animus himself am wondering about, it's the Massive Golems

Watch your feet throughout the whole fight. Anima font WILL kill you quite easily, when you're tanking a golem. Even just one hit from a font. Then when you're just facing DA, font + jolt or any number of random AE during the fight will kill you.

Avoid that, and people randomly getting aggro off other people's robots.

Probably the two things that will wipe you the most. Oh, you'll wipe because one person dies, so, have fun with that :P

Deleted
    Any more usefull tips? ;d

DK tanks are pretty useful, as they can get rid of the explosive slam debuff at 2 stacks with anti magic shell(using when the third one is being cast) not needing a tank swap.

Deleted
    Thanks Zebuh, that's actually useful

As for fangless "watch your step" I was actually looking for something a bit more descriptive and practical than that
    We are indeed aware of how deadly Anima Fonts are, which is why it'd be nice to hear how people deal with them at the start of the encounter, before people can move around more freely. Outranging them seems a bit iffy considering the small adds positioning.

for my guild, we have 2 warrior tanks and 1 dk tank. 1 warrior and 1 dk each handle a massive while the 3rd warrior is on DA full time. generally speaking, the DK can reset his stacks himself so he's a non issue. however, whenever the warrior tanking the massive needs a reset, our DA tank will just taunt and just take a beating while that happens. from what i can tell, the extra damage from an extra golem really is not a big deal. that said, we have a healer dedicated to each tank and whenever the DA tank takes the massive, the healer that was assigned to heal the non DA tank switches over to that tank. sorry if that was confusing, couldn't think of better wording.

anima font is pretty easy. just side step it and back pedal, go forward, etc. there's plenty of room, don't sweat it.

make sure the tanks tanking the massives taunt golems of people that are getting swapped. it won't always wipe you to have a golem run across the room but it might mess up the amount of anima available for a given side which can mess up the enrage timer.

defensive/healing CDs MUST be prepared prior to pulling. interrupting jolts in theory will never kill anyone as long as they are topped off (it hits for 400k iirc and everyone has 500k+ hp at these gear levels). that said, matter swaps and anima fonts (which in a perfect world, no one ever gets hit by) will damage your raid randomly. try to spread your healing cds out while keeping in mind that tranq+divine hymn will be much weaker because chances the caster will get hit by anima font will channeling and die.

it took my guild 116 pulls to down it but in reality, it really should have only taken.. 50. the majority of our wipes were just stupid stuff from people getting tired (repeated anima font deaths, people running into explosive slam, rogue forgetting about anima ring)

good luck with the grind

edit: we 7 healed it our first night and still killed the boss with a minute on the enrage, so definitely feel free to 7 heal it if you think your dps is competent.

Deleted
    That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you!
    Now I'm certainly hoping our OT DK tank gets well soon.

We only did a few pulls yday, and they were with 6 healers and no DK tank (monk+warr+feral) so there are still adjustments to be made, clearly.
    Could a paladin tank get rid of the debuffs as well through bubble and whatnot?

Make sure the DK glyphs IBF. You want to IBF + AMS the first 3 stack and then use your remaining CD's (with maybe an ironbark to ensure the reset) on the next. You'll be able to have the same druid ironbark each time (1min CD). Repeat for the whole fight. The reason for this is that AMS has to absorb ALL the damage to reset the stacks, and if he gets hit by a font within AMS timer it won't reset. Just added security.

Deleted
    Noted, will pass onwards to our DK (and pala), cheers

Font isn't hard to dodge, but it's constant, and the effect is subtle. You can't focus too much on your meters/timers, cause the red on red is easy to lose track of :P

It's a small part of the fight, but it WILL kill people if they get hit, and one death typically means you're starting over on the next pull.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your DK might get into trouble resetting his stacks later in the fight, with alot of empower stacks going. Double stam trinkets, and otherwise stamina heavy gear is recommended to get as high AMS cap as possible. Try to figure out what tresholds needs what cooldowns.

Personally I can reset with only boneshield at 2 Empowers, after that I need externals or personals in addition. Glyphed IBF, unglyphed VB, DRW+Army become musts towards to end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    Font isn't hard to dodge, but it's constant, and the effect is subtle. You can't focus too much on your meters/timers, cause the red on red is easy to lose track of :P

It's a small part of the fight, but it WILL kill people if they get hit, and one death typically means you're starting over on the next pull.
    Don't remind me.. I'm looking forward to the 4th night tonight (He should die though!). But Font deaths are just so annoying.

And also if people activate a large by accident, nobody likes that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Don't remind me.. I'm looking forward to the 4th night tonight (He should die though!). But Font deaths are just so annoying.

And also if people activate a large by accident, nobody likes that.
    3rd night for us! Can't wait for the frustration to ensue lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puerto View Post
    3rd night for us! Can't wait for the frustration to ensue lol.
    Best of luck and may your frustration be shortlived.

just a few other tips i thought of randomly:

-our raid decided to specifically assign 2 healers to handle matter swap dispels. one of them would always call out who he was dispelling which in turn obviously meant the other would dispel the unnamed one. we only did this because healers would not handle dispels and we would have random deaths over and over and over. your raid might not be the same as mine, but it's an option to consider if you face matter swap deaths from lack of dispels.

-people who would be getting dispelled for swaps would run to a specified location (just behind DA for my group) before the time to dispel came (6/7 seconds for us). that way, we were our assigned matter swap soakers (locks, spriests) would be able to stand somewhere convenient and know safely that they will always be the chosen target. in addition, that let us set up portals between the middle meeting spot and the outside edge where our soakers were standing. you got swapped? right click the portal. bam. done. in case you're curious, we had our soakers stand above the stairs on the left and right sides of the room.

-we had 5 priests in our first kill. 3 healer, 2 shadow. we made our 2 shadow and 1 holy priest use halo after every even numbered jolt and our 2 disc halo after every odd numbered jolt. this made bringing the raid back up to full before the next jolt absolutely trivial. do note that this does not actually trivialize the mechanic however. while being topped off does in theory solve the whole issue with jolts, i personally think the most important part of handling them is having a raid wide mitigation CD ready for every jolt. (i think you need to have 9 groups of 3 min CDs and then they will be back up again for jolts 10-14). again, people will take random damage from fonts/swaps, it's just what makes the fight fun for healers i guess!

-there were pulls where our dk tank would mess up with resetting his stacks. not the biggest deal since our DA tank can just taunt the DK's add. never had a pull where our DA tank had to also tank both massives but i'd imagine that would require some chained mitigation CDs (ironbark, pain sup, life cocoon, GS?).

-make absolute certain every single raid member knows when each golem was supposed to die. we had people who were killing smalls we were saving until the 2nd siphon anima which would end up messing everything up. i cannot stress how important knowing how this fight goes is. it will literally determine the success of your raid.

-because it's so bloody important, i'm gonna say it again. MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN your raiders know what they're doing as far as the timings in killing the small golems. not sure about your strategy, but ours involved killing 2 smalls into 2 other smalls so they would be back up to 4 energy. and then those 2 would be killed into the massives at some point (i personally have all my timings written on a sticky note i keep on my desk so i can glance down at it for quick reference. i might just be nerdy like that though.)

-our healers would occasionally get interrupted by jolts every blue moon. a mistake but it happens after dozens of pulls for whatever reason. i'd personally advise calling out the jolts. "incoming jolt! (number)" the number is just to remind people to use their CDs if they were assigned one which can be helpful considering how freaking many of them you'll go through before DA dies.

-make sure you have healers assigned to hover a bit closer to your matter swap soakers so they get healed and don't die from swaps. if they die from swaps it kinda defeats the purpose of having them in the first place haha

Deleted
    Nice one Wombats, thanks a lot
    Am sure many of those pointers will prove handy for today's raid at Animus. Sadly we're only lucky to have 3 priests combined most of the time, a 4th is on trial currently, but will definitely try out Halo there. Last short tries we all (except our shadow) ran with cascade as it was what manaflask suggested.

I'm dreading the Anima Fonts already, I can see it being a giant pain in the ass as there are always those "woops, didnt see it" - people around.
    Oh well, here's to hoping!

Thanks again, that was great!