Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is Enchanting as bad as it seems?

I've recently swapped main raiding characters. My previous one is on another realm and was my only Enchanter. I was planning on leveling up my Monk's enchanting to replace my missing profession, but I'm wondering if I made a mistake. There's really no easy way to level enchanting currently, is there? I either have to bite the bullet and buy all my mats (which is probably going to just murder my savings) or run old dungeons, farm for greens and D/E them. Either way is a HUGE gold or time sink (respectively).

Any ideas on how to make leveling my Enchanting up any easier, or am I pretty much facing a long and expensive road to 600?

10+ Year Old Account
    Or buy greens of the appropriate level and DE them. But... how is this different from leveling any crafting profession from 0-600 when you're 90? You either have to farm the mats or buy the mats. Farming in enchanting just means either farming dungeons or farming the AH for the right level of gear to DE.

Quote Originally Posted by Relix View Post
    I've recently swapped main raiding characters. My previous one is on another realm and was my only Enchanter. I was planning on leveling up my Monk's enchanting to replace my missing profession, but I'm wondering if I made a mistake. There's really no easy way to level enchanting currently, is there? I either have to bite the bullet and buy all my mats (which is probably going to just murder my savings) or run old dungeons, farm for greens and D/E them. Either way is a HUGE gold or time sink (respectively).

Any ideas on how to make leveling my Enchanting up any easier, or am I pretty much facing a long and expensive road to 600?
    Do you have any alts on the same server as your enchanter with other professions?

If you have a blacksmith or leatherworker it can sometimes be better to gather or buy the mats by the buttload, craft the hell out of stuff and send it all over to the enchanter.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Level with tailoring. De all you make.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Shattering crystals is usually cheaper than buying the dusts or essences. When you get to Wrath, run Naxx and shatter all the crystals for loads of dust.

Well... tailoring can get you greens from cloth drops that you can then DE. Or you can buy cheap greens or farm for them from various dungeons you can solo. but yeah, it sucks to level

At least it's not engineering or blacksmithing... oh god... the THORIUM.... WHY!!!!!!!! (and fel iron, and cobalt and obsidium but mostly cobalt)

Nah, it's not that bad. The 225-300 is the worst IMO. Nether Essences are rather obnoxious to come by. Just farm level appropriate instances for a ton of greens. It goes faster than you think.

If you're leveling a new character, tailoring is a great profession to level it with. If your character is already 90, I wouldn't bother.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it's that bad really, i leveled it to max, then dropped it for tailoring as i wanted to fly around on a carpet for a few months lol, then leveled it to max again, it didn't seem that bad, not compared to engineering anyway lol, Best way is to either use some of your gold and buy items to DE, or level another prof with it and DE the items you make

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    But... how is this different from leveling any crafting profession from 0-600 when you're 90? You either have to farm the mats or buy the mats. Farming in enchanting just means either farming dungeons or farming the AH for the right level of gear to DE.
    There's not even a comparison. To farm herbs, ore, or even leather, all you have to do is fly around mindlessly looking for little yellow dots and right click, or mass kill little creatures and skin them. To farm a dungeon for DE mats it doesn't take a TON of time, but all the running, looting, vendoring the 95% of useless stuff you'll pick up, running out, resetting, doing it over. Oh wait, I've done a dungeon too many times and am locked out for a while? In the end it you may leave a dungeon with several greens or blues, but not enough to do much with. Honestly, at this point, it's got to be the worst profession to level.

---------- Post added 2013-06-26 at 12:18 PM ----------

All in all, already seeing some good suggestions. Apologize for my pessimism, it's just been looking like this huge daunting task. As I am going to be leveling a 2nd crafting profession as well it will probably help. Unless I decided to go Alchemy. Can't D/E pots

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jazen View Post
    Level with tailoring. De all you make.
    This is a good idea. Maybe you can combine the levelling of the two professions, even on different characters. It should be more cost-effective to supply your disenchanting with items made from cloth.

It's honestly not even that bad to just buy the majority of the mats to level it from the AH unless your server is dead. Cost me like 6k to do mine and it paid for itself ridiculously quickly when I was done.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's not even a comparison. To farm herbs, ore, or even leather, all you have to do is fly around mindlessly looking for little yellow dots and right click, or mass kill little creatures and skin them. To farm a dungeon for DE mats it doesn't take a TON of time, but all the running, looting, vendoring the 95% of useless stuff you'll pick up, running out, resetting, doing it over. Oh wait, I've done a dungeon too many times and am locked out for a while? In the end it you may leave a dungeon with several greens or blues, but not enough to do much with. Honestly, at this point, it's got to be the worst profession to level.

It's time. Or money. You can spend money to save time or vice versa. And, come on. Gold is stupidly easy to make. Spend 10k to level enchanting.

Deleted
    tbh, the 8-12k that it costs to lvl enchanting these days...12k is nothing at most...like nothing...its a great proff imo so no its not as bad as it seems

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    craft stuff with tailoring and DE, Silk Cloth levels will probably be the most annoying to do

Deleted
    what clevin said or the ones who are suggesting tailoring. If you are 90 then how can this be a problem? Some things require a teeny tiny bit of effort. Really not that hard to level although depending on your server then I wouldnt hold your hopes up for enchanting to be a great moneymaker ay this stage in the expansion. A lot of profitability went out of the market in mop. You dont even need those crafting professions just get guildies to make stuff for you.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    if you are on a low-pop server you can sell an "Enchant Cloak - Superior Critial Strike" for 4-500g, that's quite profitable because most of people don't know the mats required and will buy anything :P

I've decided to go Enchanting/Tailoring. Didn't really want tailoring necessarily, but I don't have one yet and it's making it easier as they level fairly close together.

I've decided to go Enchanting/Tailoring. Didn't really want tailoring necessarily, but I don't have one yet and it's making it easier as they level fairly close together.
    Yep, with that combo, run dungeons, get cloth and greens, make stuff with Tailoring, D/E anything that doesn't sell well for xmog purposes.

Deleted
    Let me help you out a bit mate. Unless you're on a low pop realm this is the fastest way to level tailoring/enchanting combo:

- linen: AH, dirt cheap
    - wool: AH, dirt cheap, or Stormwind Stockades as ally (can do as Horde, just a little messy if you get ganked)
    - silk: the most expensive. I always just run Scarlet Monastery till I have enough. Used to prefer old SM, yielded more cloth (due to layout and mobs)
    - mageweave: Stratholme
    - runecloth: AH, if expensive Hellfire Ramparts
    - netherweave: AH, dirt cheap
    - frostweave: 2nd longest to farm for due to quantity needed - farm in Icecrown, large area west of The Fleshwerks. There's plenty of clustered groups of mobs
    - embersilk: Deepholm, Verlok Stand. Even with increased spawn timer for mobs, very fast farming
    - windwool: AH (if below 20g/stack), Mistfall Village (if the daily is up) or Krasarang Wilds, southernmost island

I've leveled tailoring 5-6 times so far and this is the fastest way to do it that I've found. It takes me 6-7 hours in total to achieve 1-600.

Off topic: having leveled every profession never buying mats at AH, alchemy is by far the easiest (takes me 2 hours max). Leatherworking on the other hand makes me wanna shoot myself in the foot and slam my head on the desk. Especially 225-300, that is the distilled nightmare of WoW professions.

Quote Originally Posted by mezmer1411 View Post

Off topic: having leveled every profession never buying mats at AH, alchemy is by far the easiest (takes me 2 hours max). Leatherworking on the other hand makes me wanna shoot myself in the foot and slam my head on the desk. Especially 225-300, that is the distilled nightmare of WoW professions.
    Seriously, thank you for this. Really appreciate this input a lot. On the subject of not using the AH, but really leveling professions I COMPLETELY AGREE on LW. That's the WORST profession out there to try and farm mats for. Heavy leather? Shoot me now.