Processor Upgrade Help.

OK, so since most of you guys seem to know alot more about computers than myself I felt that this was a good place to ask a question. Specifically can you upgrade a Phenom Processor to a Phenom II without changing the motherboard? I am asking because I am still using a Phenom 9550 that I got when I made this computer 7ish years ago. As I do not have enough money to get a whole new computer I was wondering if getting a Phenom 2 Callisto (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16819103680) would be worth the money for the performance gain, and if it would in fact work. I did some research and it found that apparently some Phenom II's can be used in an AM2 socket, but I could not find a definitive answer to if this particular model would function.

If anyone know's how to check the motherboard model as well, I could just look up compatible processors... I cannot remember what I am using since I got it in a package deal with the processor I am currently using.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a little confused, since the Phenom 9550 (Unless theres one that isnt the Phenom X4 9550) is only ~4 years old, and is pretty much as good as the Phenom X2 550. You wont see much of a performance difference. I imagine you might be confusing with another CPU, but regardless of that, I honestly wouldn't waste the money on an outdated socket. I would save up some money and either upgrade to an intel, or wait until the new AMD cpu's come out... soonish(?) and see if a new AM3 socket would be worthwhile
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-06-28 at 03:00 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

OK... I have an original Phenom x4 9550 according to CPU-Z, I know this computer is 6 years old as I built it myself for college in August of 2007. Anyways you think that upgrading from 2.2 to 3.1 Ghz would not be a worthwhile improvement? Also I did some digging and manged to get my motherboard model as well, according to the manufactures site it will support AM3 processors. (http://www.foxconnchannel.com/Produc...U=en-us0000402) However most are over $200 when they are first released so I would be getting an older model regardless. I am also starting to think the processor may be dying as I am getting slow performance degradation, eg games that ran fine when the computer was new sometimes have FPS/loading issues now. Windows in general seems to be slowing down as well, and reformatting/re installing did not help much.
    Last edited by Zergin8r; 2013-06-28 at 03:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly can't find anything remotely promising about that board. I would honestly recommend not upgrading the CPU on that, as I can't even tell what it's power design is for CPU support, and Foxconn doesn't even list it either. I would save up a little more money and make a proper upgrade, instead of halfing it now.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

OK thank you I guess I will just have to replay some of my older games over the next few years until I can get a more stable income.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergin8r View Post
    OK thank you I guess I will just have to replay some of my older games over the next few years until I can get a more stable income.
    Really all you ought to need is a cpu and motherboard. Do you think it'll actually take you a 'few years' to scrounge up another $150?

Yes, since I injured my back at work, and now am living quite frugally on government support. I literally have about $10 left over a month after bills/food if nothing else requires money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then you need to re-evaluate your need for a computer (sell it.) and an internet connection.

$10 a month profit is a problem.

Well.. it was around $300 but the company I worked for went bankrupt so I had to start paying for my own treatments since the health plan I had no longer exists, I have had no response from the government on these new costs. Also... I do not have a television, and my parents were able to pay for my internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't want to sound callous, but if people are paying your bills because you can't at the moment, I don't think now is the right time to be looking at computer upgrades.

Yeah... I thought of that as well I was just wondering if it was worth it if I was able to get the money which would be in around 3 months.