Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    No idea where that thought comes from. Less nigthfall procs does mean less shards to play with, but with more targets there's plenty of chance to drain one for full shards back, so I doubt that'd be much of a problem.

Also not sure how much of a benefit it will be to 2 target. The copying part will help some, but you also loose shards where you could normally have 2 corruptions ticking.
    The proc chance is doubled so its the same

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ykza View Post
    The proc chance is doubled so its the same
    Oh, of course, D'oh!

So it's down to how much advantage you can get by using SS to copy dots over. I'll let the math minds figure that out.

I'm sure in the long run so long as you are copying full or near-full duration dots over to a second target it will be a dps gain (obviously copying over the previously mentioned near expiration dots will be a waste), however the concern I have is with the new wording on nightfall. It states that it will only proc on your most recently applied corruption, so if you apply it to a second target, and then the target dies, does that mean you now have to go back to your first target and recast corruption to continue getting procs? One would assume you aren't applying dots to a second target that is at 1% but you never know what circumstances might cause you to have the second one end preemptively.
    Last edited by jaymzkerten; 2013-07-03 at 07:54 PM.
    Warlock Soloing & Progress | FC: 4141-3143-3405 | Metang, Mawile, and Klefki

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    No idea where that thought comes from. Less nigthfall procs does mean less shards to play with, but with more targets there's plenty of chance to drain one for full shards back, so I doubt that'd be much of a problem.
    That depends on them dying at a regular-enough rate - our initial "SB:SOC everything and then use nightfall procs to SB:SS everything" ability will be cut down quite a bit.

Not really sure WHY they feel the need to nerf affliction AOE / multidotting so much, destruction is already far better at it and on long lasting adds demo with UVOLS is much more potent. Curious as to if this is them gutting multidotting so that they can increase the power of dots again (since multidotting was the reason to keep them weak), but I'm far too jaded to expect anything in return for the nerfs.

The 6 second duration on SS baffles me too, why is that needed?

so what if my intended soul swap exhale target has 5 seconds of UA left, i exhale my (UVLS) dots onto my exhale target, will the duration be combined or will the duration of my exhale ua take over
    Cabana Pie Chart Twitch

The duration of the exhaled dots are used.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I don't think there's been any actual change to seed of corruption other than to its tooltip, which now shows the damage remaining to trigger it, instead of the total damage needed. It certainly still takes more than 1346 damage to detonate it.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymzkerten View Post
    I'm sure in the long run so long as you are copying full or near-full duration dots over to a second target it will be a dps gain (obviously copying over the previously mentioned near expiration dots will be a waste), however the concern I have is with the new wording on nightfall. It states that it will only proc on your most recently applied corruption, so if you apply it to a second target, and then the target dies, does that mean you now have to go back to your first target and recast corruption to continue getting procs? One would assume you aren't applying dots to a second target that is at 1% but you never know what circumstances might cause you to have the second one end preemptively.
    Based on the wording one could presume, perhaps incorrectly, that if the 2nd target dies, your initial Corruption then is the "most recently applied Corruption". I could see it being buggy as hell in this regard, tho, ugh
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Based on the wording one could presume, perhaps incorrectly, that if the 2nd target dies, your initial Corruption then is the "most recently applied Corruption". I could see it being buggy as hell in this regard, tho, ugh
    If it's strictly looking at the most recent applied, and then doesn't count at all if that is removed, we're gonna have a lot extra to look after in PvP.

Doesn't the Corruption tick caused by Malefic Grasp also have the chance to proc Nightfall? So does this change to Nightfall mean we have to channel MF on the target with the latest applied Corruption to increase the chance to gain shards?

Quote Originally Posted by luckydevours View Post
    Doesn't the Corruption tick caused by Malefic Grasp also have the chance to proc Nightfall? So does this change to Nightfall mean we have to channel MF on the target with the latest applied Corruption to increase the chance to gain shards?
    Probably. That's what it seems to imply to me.

With the soul swap change you'll probably want to do something like below when you want to put dots up for an extended period of time.

@off-target cast SB:SS
    @off-target cast SS
    @main-target cast SS:Exhale

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by luckydevours View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post

With the soul swap change you'll probably want to do something like below when you want to put dots up for an extended period of time.

@off-target cast SS
    Gah, that's going to be an annoyance.

@off-target cast SS
    Ugh. ugh ugh ugh ugh. Big quality of life nerf here : /
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

This is probably going to get me yelled at a lot since our RL always tells us to STOP DPS suddenly and now I have no way to remove my dots. He always calls me out on it on mums if I don't pull them. Maybe there will be a glyph to make SS pull dots instead of copy (reverse of live?)

@off-target cast SS
    Ugh no ty just remove sb:ss and MEGA buff dots

Quote Originally Posted by kenshinag View Post
    This is probably going to get me yelled at a lot since our RL always tells us to STOP DPS suddenly and now I have no way to remove my dots. He always calls me out on it on mums if I don't pull them. Maybe there will be a glyph to make SS pull dots instead of copy (reverse of live?)
    Better yet, gives you an excuse to leave em ticking.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    Ugh no ty just remove sb:ss and MEGA buff dots
    Actually this would be my solution to make Affliction being fun again - at least for me:
    • Remove Soulburn: Soul Swap
    • Increase damage of DoTs
    • Reduce damage of Malefic Grasp and Drain Soul
    • Make Seed of Corruption explode faster to obtain some kind of multi-target burst

Basically how it has been before ...

Edit: I just realized you can combine my suggestions with the new PTR version of Soul Swap: Just add Soul Shards as a cost to it and you would have an alternative to spend them besides Haunt and you could refrain from adding a cooldown without multi-dotting becoming to strong again.
    Last edited by luckydevours; 2013-07-03 at 10:48 PM.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    ...as if I wasn't bad enough at Affliction as it is... :/

I get the impression Blizzard is earnestly doing their best to improve Affliction's playability, but has no idea how to go about doing it. I strongly suggest people who are better at the spec than me (read "everybody") make constructive comments like these in the "official" PTR threads for Warlocks, along with any suggestions that might align with GC's stated goals (e.g. shifting damage from MG to DoTs).

Meanwhile I guess I need to do a PTR copy and find a target dummy. Sounds like Destruction's toast.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

Time to learn demo..........Destro/affy are looking pretty bad next patch.

I tested the new SS and it doesn't apply a full dot duration (base duration). Instead of their full duration, SS: Exale, apply the remaining time of swaped dots. Seems it won't do so and blizz will fix it.

sry for my english

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feelsgood View Post
    I tested the new SS and it doesn't apply a full dot duration (base duration). Instead of their full duration, SS: Exale, apply the remaining time of swaped dots. Seems it won't do so and blizz will fix it.

sry for my english
    It's precisely how it should behave.