10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, it is just a 'Fins hat, so I really don't care. I don't understand why everyone has their knickers in a twist over it, it isn't like it is a NY Giants or a Dallas Cowboys hat, or in the same division. Hell, the 'Fins aren't even in the same conference.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

10+ Year Old Account
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...harbaugh-spat/

Harbs might have a different opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...harbaugh-spat/

Harbs might have a different opinion.
    Yeah, but

In fact, in 2000, when Harbaugh played for the Chargers, he got angry at Jim Trotter, then a San Diego Union-Tribune reporter, for showing up at Chargers practice wearing a 49ers sweatshirt. Harbaugh said it was “pathetic” that Trotter would wear such a shirt, and he refused to answer any of Trotter’s questions.
    So fuck Harbaugh for being stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Yeah, but

So fuck Harbaugh for being stupid.
    For not predicting the future?

It shows he was passionate for his team at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    For not predicting the future?

It shows he was passionate for his team at the time.
    "You can't speak to me because you're not wearing my team on your body" is basically what that is saying. I have a Florida Gator hat. If I ever go to college, I'l wear the fuck out of it, and not give a crap what anyone thinks. Stupid is an understatement. It's not passion for your team, it's just...stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    "You can't speak to me because you're not wearing my team on your body" is basically what that is saying.
    no it isn't
    if you want to talk about "being stupid", addressing what people are "basically" "saying" instead of what they are actually saying is always a good first step in that direction

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    no it isn't
    if you want to talk about "being stupid", addressing what people are "basically" "saying" instead of what they are actually saying is always a good first step in that direction
    “I don’t talk to anybody in a San Francisco 49ers shirt.” He didn't "basically say it", he exactly said it.

And again, not even the same conference. It's incredibly stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Pretty horrible photoshop right there, you can actually see the outlining all the way around his head lol...
    You can clearly see how stupid you are

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Radux; 2013-07-07 at 05:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I took the opportunity on this gloriously warm sunday to spend the day inside and do some mock drafts on ESPN. The results were....interesting.

It's quite odd, but you pick only those players you feel are the best thing you can pick at that time, so by the time it's done you feel pretty good about the team you've created. It's only when you start comparing your team to other's in your draft that you start to wonder just how succesful you've been. I mean there's always going to be teams you feel like you've done much better as, but I've not done a single draft that didn't have me go "I'd rather have had that team, actually, then the one I drafted myself."

After doing this enough times to be familiar with the tools on ESPN, and trying some basic strategies, I think I'm okay to do this. I think I'm okay enough at this to at least do a decent draft, but the whole "setting up your team/switch players on bye weeks, or when they are injured/get players from the waiver wire and keep a good bench" thing I'm still highly doubtful. But then again half the fun is in learning how that works, and how to best take advantage of mistakes others make (like you will undoubtedly do with mine )

All in all a pretty well spent Sunday afternoon. I hope we can get enough posters together for this league, so we can make it happen. Few questions though.

How many people do we need to get this league going? 8-12 posters, I'm thinking? Less then 8 will make our teams too powerful, and too few teams to have much of a head to head competition. More then 12 and teams get low on decent players, and we might not be able to play every other team there is.

How will it actually work? We have weekly head to head matches, but how are those set up, and is that all there is to the season? How many weeks do we actually play?

10+ Year Old Account
    “I don’t talk to anybody in a San Francisco 49ers shirt.” He didn't "basically say it", he exactly said it.
    he didn't make any mention of Chargers apparel

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    It's quite odd, but you pick only those players you feel are the best thing you can pick at that time, so by the time it's done you feel pretty good about the team you've created. It's only when you start comparing your team to other's in your draft that you start to wonder just how succesful you've been. I mean there's always going to be teams you feel like you've done much better as, but I've not done a single draft that didn't have me go "I'd rather have had that team, actually, then the one I drafted myself."
    Yep, that's how you'll feel. Especially a couple or three weeks into the season, when you realize that your running back sucks (screw you Micheal Turner) and you have TWO of them active at a time.

Each week you go head-to-head with another person's team. Far as I know, this is selected randomly. In the last two or so weeks in the regular season, is when the playoffs are, and the person who sets up the whole thing decides how many people make it to the playoffs, before the season starts.

I think last year we had twelve, but you can do it with less. The NBA league we did here, we only had like seven or so, and our teams were stacked like hell. I don't see any issue getting enough people for it again this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, that's how you'll feel. Especially a couple or three weeks into the season, when you realize that your running back sucks (screw you Micheal Turner) and you have TWO of them active at a time.

Each week you go head-to-head with another person's team. Far as I know, this is selected randomly. In the last two or so weeks in the regular season, is when the playoffs are, and the person who sets up the whole thing decides how many people make it to the playoffs, before the season starts.

I think last year we had twelve, but you can do it with less. The NBA league we did here, we only had like seven or so, and our teams were stacked like hell. I don't see any issue getting enough people for it again this year.
    Yeah in the drafts I did running back seemed to always be in short supply (good ones that is) and I was happiest with the 2 drafts where I went early and got the best choices of running backs (Including one where I went first and snagged AP, Frank Gore & Stevan Ridley)

Those playoffs sound interesting. I wondered what they meant by that in this format, but I think I get it now. You play several weeks head to head, and then in the later weeks you play head to head among the few that went on top in the first part of the season. Seems like a cool idea. You could get those playoffs done in about 3 weeks I reckon. Final with 2, Conference with 4 and Divisional with 8 teams. Head to head, winner goes through.

So 3 weeks of playoffs, 13 weeks of league or something? That probably means you'll play a team more then once though, so how would that be balanced?

10+ Year Old Account
    "You can't speak to me because you're not wearing my team on your body" is basically what that is saying. I have a Florida Gator hat. If I ever go to college, I'l wear the fuck out of it, and not give a crap what anyone thinks. Stupid is an understatement. It's not passion for your team, it's just...stupid.
    There is a huge difference. Those guys are getting paid millions.

Also, I realize nobody had taken up the role of leading the fantasy team. Is there anybody that wants to that is maybe more experienced? If not I need to start planning some things.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a huge difference. Those guys are getting paid millions.

Also, I realize nobody had taken up the role of leading the fantasy team. Is there anybody that wants to that is maybe more experienced? If not I need to start planning some things.
    I've never ran one. If I recall, Conscript did it last year.

10+ Year Old Account
    fantasy football isn't quite on my radar yet

10+ Year Old Account
    So a little something a source within the league talked about: There's a sort-of idea to prevent players without the academic grades to go to the scouting combine

It's July, and news is extremely slow at the moment, so I get why it's news now, but this seems like a terrible idea. The NFL at large won't give a hoot about your grades if you can play the game. So I think this would just devalue the combine, put more importance in other channels of scouting, and accomplish nothing in terms of getting football players to pay attention to their education. Just a stupid idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    God damn I'm getting tired of this no news stretch.

Richard Sherman hosted his charity softball game which had people like T.O. and the replacement ref that called Golden Tates touchdown in the GB game. Tate won MVP of the softball game and Russell Wilson's team won.

I'm also hearing word that Victor Cruz may have finally signed a contract with the Giants. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ne-year-deals/

Pretty good move by the Giants honestly.

I tend to think 10 teams is an ideal number for a fantasy league. Twelve is doable but the free agent market tends to be pretty nonexistent after the first week or two.

I run a cash league with friends and family or I'd volunteer to get this one going. That on top of being back in school, working, my kid, and potentially DMing a D&D game soon should effectively suck up any time I may have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright I'll just do it. It'll be a 10 team non ppr probably. Last year it was 12 and there was no free agency.

Gonna keep it like last years besides team number. I'll put up a thread mid August with sign ups and such. Draft probably happening after final roster cuts. If you think thats too late, well last year we didn't even get a sign up thread until well after the roster cuts. So we'll be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright I'll just do it. It'll be a 10 team non ppr probably. Last year it was 12 and there was no free agency.

Gonna keep it like last years besides team number. I'll put up a thread mid August with sign ups and such. Draft probably happening after final roster cuts. If you think thats too late, well last year we didn't even get a sign up thread until well after the roster cuts. So we'll be fine.
    I PM'ed conscript to ask if he was interested in doing it, but if you feel up to setting it up then perfect. I've been using ESPN for my mock drafts, have you any idea which site you will use? I'd like to see their stuff in action so I'm accustomed to where I need to look for information and such.