Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

When are low level dungeons challenging?

Greetings, community. I have decided to power level a Druid. I am currently rolling him as a DPS, but I want to heal when I get to level 90. Is there any point in leveling where dungeons are challenging enough that a healer will actually need to have a constant input, instead of just healing once every 15 seconds? TBC dungeons, Cataclysm dungeons, MoP dungeons? What would you say gives a healer a challenge?
    I. Like. To. Kill. Things.
    For Pony!

A group with low DPS and the tank being non-tank specced. Was tanking on my retri paladin where the group's DPS was bad and the healer had something to do instead of waiting.
    Rufflesaurus <Huhuholics> Tarren Mill EU

If perhaps you are with one of those retarded people who thinks they will make an alt, but only have cloth heirlooms just for the exp buff.

But overall, it's pretty easy anyway, no point making low level dungeons tough, they will just put off potential new/inexperienced players.

You could pretty much rock an oomkin spec till mop and heal the dungeons no prob. As stated above if you have a bad tank or bad dps it might be more challenging in cata dungeons. Everything else is pretty much a faceroll.

The only way to really have a nice challenge as a healer is to queue for dungeons at the low end of the LFD level span. Try to avoid heirlooms, too. Even better? Find a tank buddy who is willing to do the same. My experience was leveling a Paladin with my shaman friend on a different server. From about 30 to 75 we wore greens or outdated blues only and only ran dungeons when they were orange or red. Quite a fun time.

If you go that route, I recommend rounding the group out with low levels and trying a 45 minute baron run like the old days. You'll find out that the trash will hurt you when your tank is vulnerable to crushing blows and dps aren't very effective against enemies 4-5 levels above. After a few near wipes in my premade group, we beat the timer with about 7 minutes. Places to watch out for? Ghoul packs, wandering gargoyles (they like to pull the caster groups), and pulling bosses with trash.

10+ Year Old Account
    ~2006.....
    "Brevity is...wit"

Deleted
    Find a Time machine. Travel... 2005-2008. Enjoy experience.

None of the low level dungeons are difficult. The difficulty will depend on the players you are grouped with. That includes both horrible tanks where the DPS pull aggro and overconfident tanks who pull too much (and the DPS pull aggro). Etc.

Do what i do. As the healer just pull 4 packs of mobs and see how your group reacts to this. This makes healing a bit more challenging at the lower levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    It really depends on the tank, and the rest of the group for that matter. If the dps are retards who dps the wrong targets and constantly takes aggro etc you'll be healing a lot, even on low levels.

The healing scaling makes your hot ticks heal for 1/3 of people heath, and Regrowth is spammable Lay on Hands. It starts to change around Cata dungeons and Cata heroics (can even wipe on them, quite a few people not knowing tactics). And then MoP heroics if you don't get single overgeared player, otherwise it's again faceroll due to how fast things die.

Basically faceroll all the way up. Been leveling a tank Monk, at level 69 right now and so far I could tank literally every instance without a healer at all. Between my avoidance, absorbs and self heals I can pull 2-3 groups of mobs and take less than 2000 total damage right now, considering I have 12k health I'm really not in any issue of dying even in Wrath dungeons. It'll get harder in MoP dungeons I'm assuming, but I expect everything before that to be completely faceroll unless you take all your gear off. But if you do that in a random group you're just going to get kicked for making things take longer than they need to.

10+ Year Old Account
    TBC and Cataclysm 5 mans are the toughest.

If you're a tank with Heirlooms, no Dungeon will really be that difficult. I think the only one that gave me a little trouble was Dire Maul, but you generally skip that anyway.

Dire Maul has a couple places that are slightly hard to heal. Mostly because tanks are used to pulling 2-3 packs and the mobs have fears etc.

Some of the early Cata bosses also have mechanics where if people don't understand them they will get 1 shoted.

But otherwise not really, I recently leveled a warrior with a healer friend and I could stay alive through second wind when they had to go afk etc.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Jacob6875 <=== Check out my Youtube Channel !!

Quote Originally Posted by Stockers View Post
    If perhaps you are with one of those retarded people who thinks they will make an alt, but only have cloth heirlooms just for the exp buff.

But overall, it's pretty easy anyway, no point making low level dungeons tough, they will just put off potential new/inexperienced players.
    What's wrong with wearing cloth heirlooms on a restor alt?

On topic, no, low level dungeons are faceroll. I leveled a druid restor a few days ago, most of the time I was in cat form doing damage, since there was no need in healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pisholina View Post
    Greetings, community. I have decided to power level a Druid. I am currently rolling him as a DPS, but I want to heal when I get to level 90. Is there any point in leveling where dungeons are challenging enough that a healer will actually need to have a constant input, instead of just healing once every 15 seconds? TBC dungeons, Cataclysm dungeons, MoP dungeons? What would you say gives a healer a challenge?
    Dungeons never were challenging, even in vanila. It's just people were new to the game and did not know what to do.

When I leveled my main I did not know how to tank and all mobs were on healer/dps all the time. We had problems killing pretty much every pack.
    When I leveled my holypaly alt two years later, in tbc, we were able to 3-man lowlevel dungeons without tank at all - hunter was tanking with his pet.

It's pretty easy to "go back in time". There is plenty of free tbc/vanilla servers in the internet. They are not ideal, but numbers are about to be correct and skills are working they way they worked in vanilla/tbc. Get your friends and try to level an alt on such server. You'll see that the game was never really hard on low levels.

lvl60 and level70 dungeons were pretty decent though. You even had to use cc from time to time. Not in raid gear, obviously.

And last advice - there is no single reason to level dps druid. You do 3-5 times more dps as a tank, usually from 60 to 80% of party dps. You get instant queues and you can run the dungeon with the speed that is most suitable to you - you don't have to wait for anyone.
    And don't listen to weeklings saying that you can't tank in cloth boa gear, you can. Ask healer to pull his hands out of his ass and start doing his job. The fact that he is used to cast one healing spell once per 5-10 seconds does not mean that he should not learn to heal properly. Good healers keep "cloth" tank alive and overdps half of the party in the same time.

I solo-tanked all the dungeons 1-85... as a Disc Priest.

You should have no issue.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    Dungeons never were challenging, even in vanila. It's just people were new to the game and did not know what to do.

When I leveled my main I did not know how to tank and all mobs were on healer/dps all the time. We had problems killing pretty much every pack.
    When I leveled my holypaly alt two years later, in tbc, we were able to 3-man lowlevel dungeons without tank at all - hunter was tanking with his pet.

It's pretty easy to "go back in time". There is plenty of free tbc/vanilla servers in the internet. They are not ideal, but numbers are about to be correct and skills are working they way they worked in vanilla/tbc. Get your friends and try to level an alt on such server. You'll see that the game was never really hard on low levels.

lvl60 and level70 dungeons were pretty decent though. You even had to use cc from time to time. Not in raid gear, obviously.

And last advice - there is no single reason to level dps druid. You do 3-5 times more dps as a tank, usually from 60 to 80% of party dps. You get instant queues and you can run the dungeon with the speed that is most suitable to you - you don't have to wait for anyone.
    And don't listen to weeklings saying that you can't tank in cloth boa gear, you can. Ask healer to pull his hands out of his ass and start doing his job. The fact that he is used to cast one healing spell once per 5-10 seconds does not mean that he should not learn to heal properly. Good healers keep "cloth" tank alive and overdps half of the party in the same time.
    I was just asking when I should try healing, not look for a vanilla private server. Thanks for the input though.
    I. Like. To. Kill. Things.
    For Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by Stockers View Post

Just for the hell of it once, I tanked a low level (I think it was about a level 40-ish, I can't remember which.) dungeon as a Prot Pally wearing cloth (not even heirloom cloth). It didn't even make a difference :x