lucky day, got both spark and tortos shield, now sitting at whopping 20.248 haste

Deleted
    On the subject of expertise... Ive been down at around 10-11% for awhile now as i prefered the extra haste I gained from it and miss now and then didn't bother me but I assume being at the expertise hard cap would be a dps increase? obviously RNG could lead to you do some more dps now and then if you have a fight without a lot of misses etc

Most high end top guilds with paladin tanks go to 15% expertise, obviously i'm not at their level but was curious to see if anyone could shed some light on why they don't drop some more expertise?

Also dunno if you've discussed it but I assume the dps strength cloak will be the one to take over the tanking one? the legendary one that is

Deleted
    Haste is most likely a bigger dps increase over expertise. Cant remember how that was, but if I do not recall correctly haste is always a dps increase over expertise (presuming you have soft cap). If that is wrong expertise still only pulls ahead when you reach close to haste cap.

Cant remember the exact numbers on this as it was so long since I checked this.

My personal opinion is dps cloak > tank cloak

Deleted
    Solo tanking durumu hc 25 - do I need clemency, or can I take US? Do I stand in phase beams still?

Deleted
    Whatever the gain you may have, I would never ever trade predictability of HP generator. As tanks, we need the planning and capacity to say : ok, this attack is coming then, I need X HP for it and have Y seconds to get them.
    Go for the hard cap 15%expertise and 7.5%hit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    Solo tanking durumu hc 25 - do I need clemency, or can I take US? Do I stand in phase beams still?
    US for sure, better in all ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by metasaigneur View Post
    Whatever the gain you may have, I would never ever trade predictability of HP generator. As tanks, we need the planning and capacity to say : ok, this attack is coming then, I need X HP for it and have Y seconds to get them.
    Go for the hard cap 15%expertise and 7.5%hit.
    Going below expertise cap does not eliminate reliability. If you can bank your HoPo properly you will not notice any difference in reliability while gaining dps, hps, hopo and absorbs from SS.

If you choose not to go below exp cap, fine, but you got to understand those that do it in terms of min-maxing their character. Going below exp cap gives better throughput (unless you are very very close to haste cap) and the difference in reliability is just non-existant if you use your SotR properly.
    Last edited by mmoc4d8e5d065a; 2013-07-07 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    Why would you stand in beams with 24 other people to handle them °_°

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Going below expertise cap does not eliminate reliability. If you can bank your HoPo properly you will not notice any difference in reliability while gaining dps, hps, hopo and absorbs from SS.
    Well it does somehow reduce reliability if what you're aiming for is to have 2 ShoR back to back and on fights like Ra-dan you want those reliably and often.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Going below expertise cap does not eliminate reliability. If you can bank your HoPo properly you will not notice any diference in reliability while gaining dps, hps, hopo and absorbs from SS.
    If you can bank, yes. But that means the window between 2 "needed" SotR is long enough and you are reducing SotR uptime on autoattacks.
    Maybe I am really talking about some major picture I don't understand, but even if the probability of missing a SotR for a triple puncture/snapping bite is one in a million, I won't take the risk to cause a wipe. A matter of opinion and style maybe, call it what you want

For instance on HDurumu, I don't bank HP, I use SotR for Hardstare and a SotR+Wogs for boss white attacks, Wogs being here to clear the unstoppable bleeding that clears @100%HP (I am raiding 10man and we 2heal it, that's why). Thanks to DivPurp, I can bank from time to time, but I certainly do not sit on 2+HP the whole fight.

Again, maybe I am doing something very wrong in my approach, feel free to give your insight, I'm eager to improve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, maybe I am doing something very wrong in my approach, feel free to give your insight, I'm eager to improve.
    You're going on the assumption that you're trading equal points of one for equal points of the other. If you're trading like 1% expertise for maybe 20 haste then it's obviously not worth it but if in your gear setup you could gain like 200 haste for maybe 100 expertise, maybe it's worth it. I had a situation in my gear the other day where I could drop 0.6% expertise and gain 0.3% haste. It's not always an equal trade and you've gota take that into account (can't remember actual stat numbers, only LFR though so the gear don't matter! Soon to be replaced)

Even then there's a certain amount of personal preference, looking at some of the haste numbers people appear to have nowadays, they're approaching 50% which if I remember from ages ago was seen as some kinda point where it starts to lose value? I'm not 100% sure. Either way, only you can choose what you want and if your stats are that high anyway then the % of points that you're changing/losing is lower than otherwise so will have a smaller difference. Unless it involves some kind of cap, but if you weren't at or going to reach that anyway then it's just a curve rather than a complete flattening/drop off.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    Well it does somehow reduce reliability if what you're aiming for is to have 2 ShoR back to back and on fights like Ra-dan you want those reliably and often.
    Judgment is 100% hit anyway (with 7.5% hit), if you need 2 back to back SotRs, just make sure you have 5 HoPo and judgment available, that is 100% guaranteed back to back SotR.

If you can bank, yes. But that means the window between 2 "needed" SotR is long enough and you are reducing SotR uptime on autoattacks.
    Maybe I am really talking about some major picture I don't understand, but even if the probability of missing a SotR for a triple puncture/snapping bite is one in a million, I won't take the risk to cause a wipe. A matter of opinion and style maybe, call it what you want
    The chance to miss a tripple puncture / snapping bite / hard stare etc is 0 unless you misplay your holy power.

I feel like you are mixing together banking HoPo and overcapping HoPo. Just because you wait a bit until using your SotR (i.e. not always using it at 3 HoPo) does not mean you can not use SotR for white hits aswell.

If I know there is a spell that I need to have SotR for (puncture, talon rake etc), then of course I make sure to have 3 HoPo ready for that, preferably 6 HoPo for a back to back SotR. If I dont need it, then I just use SotR on 3 stacks.

I have been running below expertise cap since 5.0 and I have never had a death because of it, never even a sligthest problem. Only once since 5.0 have I actually been negatively effected by a parry enough for me to actually notice me, that was one time when I played badly with my HoPo causing me to only have 2 HoPo after getting a parry, which forced me to use a smaller CD instead. Did not die, just had to 'waste' a CD. After that I started using my HoPo good since before that I was just randomly using it at 3 all the time. Never had a problem since.

Also, while you say you would never risk that one in a million death. You do realise that going expertise is not only gain? You get slower SS ticks and SoI heals. How do you know that the points you put in expertise instead of haste, wont mean that a SS tick or SoI heal comes 0.01 seconds to late because you did not have enough haste. That extra haste actually saves your life too. Now not saying this is usual, but it needs to taken into consideration.

While it is of course a matter of taste, and I understand the people that go for hardcap expertise, if I do not go for expertise hard cap over haste, I gain more dps, hps, aps and HoPo. I min-max my character more and get a bigger yield and a higher potential with my character from it. All it takes from me is just planning ahead knowing that a CS could get parried so if I got 3 HoPo and there is 6 seconds left to a tripple puncture, I probably should not use SotR just yet because I could get parried on a CS during the next cycle

Deleted
    I see both your points. I guess it just feels wrong to me not to hardcap even if arguments can be made it's not that vital, just different
    For me, reducing my expertise cap would only gain me mastery, not haste. But I have been amazingly lucky with coins.

Didn't remember about the judgment thing, so there's that. I feel dumb forgetting some obvious things I used to know ^^

Thanks for the food for thought

Deleted
    [QUOTE=Nillo;21680888]Why would you stand in beams with 24 other people to handle them °_°

vengence

[QUOTE=rawhammer;21682089]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    Why would you stand in beams with 24 other people to handle them °_°

vengence
    On 25H you won't notice it, since you're going to be taking considerably more damage from the boss.

TBH the only fight where i felt it was worth hard capping exp was dark animus where i wanted to have a guarantee that every single one of my HoP generators will result in a SotR.
    Haven't seen any other fight that was dangerous enough

on higher gear levels there's no really haste-expertise trade. I have haste on most of my gear, on any other piece one of the stats is reforged into haste. and still i can hard cap expertise and have extra hit, which i can't get rid of. now it becomes expertise-mastery trade, which i don't really care about.

One's man terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by zloitima View Post
    on higher gear levels there's no really haste-expertise trade. I have haste on most of my gear, on any other piece one of the stats is reforged into haste. and still i can hard cap expertise and have extra hit, which i can't get rid of. now it becomes expertise-mastery trade, which i don't really care about.
    Also noticed that, esp with the legendary cloak.

15+ Year Old Account
    Guys, I am wondering something (Hopefully I am in the right thread, but I guess so).

The trend is to achieve 90+% uptime on sacred shield and ~60ish+% uptime on shotr (well, it's not a trend, it's what you are supposed to do as a protadin). I think I can manage the Sacred shield uptime (with the help of Thecks Weak aura for that), but I'm still a bit lackluster with the Shotr uptime. I'll do my best, but I usually end up around 40% uptime, which is definitely ... "open for improvement". Since I know the theory and I have the gear (527, around 15k haste, hit/exp capped, although I might switch to hit->haste->exp again), I figured I must be pressing the wrong buttons. but... I guess it's not that I don't do what I'm supposed to do because I don't know any better, it might be because I have a screwed up interface, and especially, key bindings and where-the-hell-is-the-shit-placed-on-the-screen.

http://i.imm.io/1bA4j.png

soo... this is the bottom center of my screen. my chat is left of that, my raidframe is right of that and my debuff/buff trackers as well as theck's sacred shield weak aura is more or less above that. the casting bars are over their respective frames. in general I like it, because it is all pretty compact at the bottom, which leaves the room around my character free so I see what is going on in the fight.

you can see the key bindings, at least at the upper row. I already have switched it a little bit... my HoW is now at the Middle mouse ("B3"), my Sacred Shield is at "^", and my lvl 90 talent is at "G". my sprint (lvl 15 talent) is a modifier at "B5" (currently pressed, w/o modifier it is word of glory there). The macro for hammer of wrath is a mouseover macro, mostly done for the spirits at council, so I need a keybind for that - and I can't use mousebuttons for that. the macros for the normal attacks are just macros who add a "/startattack" to ensure I'm always attacking.

so the question is... how are you having your keys bound? do you have any tips what I could do better? maybe even rearranging the bars to somewhere else? I really have the feeling I could improve it to help me perform better, but I don't know where and how...
    The problem I have is... I cant use much of the buttons. I need Q and E for strafing (I am just used to it, I often tried to use those additionally, but... no, this habit won't go away). I need R for whisper replies. I need C for my charscreen and V for my nameplates, as well as X to sit down (although X is a very hard button to press for me anyways. B, H and 7+ are too far away, Z is already a compromize, because I don't press the hammer too often. So I'm pretty much limited to 1-6, TFGZY^ for buttons + my three mouse buttons (middle and two sides).

(N0 on the very bottom right is my inspect button on Num0)

Open for any tips. Or just show me what how you have organized your buttons, and I'll try to get some inspiration from it.
    -xeb

Quote Originally Posted by zloitima View Post
    Yeah, this is the big part of why I sit at 15%; there's really no other haste to gain, and I don't value mastery above Exp til I'm at 15%, so it becomes a non-issue once the ilvl inflates. Forese it being even moreso next tier.

Quote Originally Posted by xebtria View Post
    you can see the key bindings, at least at the upper row. I already have switched it a little bit... my HoW is now at the Middle mouse ("B3"), my Sacred Shield is at "^", and my lvl 90 talent is at "G". my sprint (lvl 15 talent) is a modifier at "B5" (currently pressed, w/o modifier it is word of glory there). The macro for hammer of wrath is a mouseover macro, mostly done for the spirits at council, so I need a keybind for that - and I can't use mousebuttons for that. the macros for the normal attacks are just macros who add a "/startattack" to ensure I'm always attacking.

so the question is... how are you having your keys bound? do you have any tips what I could do better? maybe even rearranging the bars to somewhere else? I really have the feeling I could improve it to help me perform better, but I don't know where and how...
    The problem I have is... I cant use much of the buttons. I need Q and E for strafing (I am just used to it, I often tried to use those additionally, but... no, this habit won't go away). I need R for whisper replies. I need C for my charscreen and V for my nameplates, as well as X to sit down (although X is a very hard button to press for me anyways. B, H and 7+ are too far away, Z is already a compromize, because I don't press the hammer too often. So I'm pretty much limited to 1-6, TFGZY^ for buttons + my three mouse buttons (middle and two sides).

(N0 on the very bottom right is my inspect button on Num0)

Open for any tips. Or just show me what how you have organized your buttons, and I'll try to get some inspiration from it.
    -xeb
    Note that I don't think anyone will see massive improvements in uptimes/APM from a UI overhaul, especially not at first (given that changing keybinds means relearning muscle memory). You may get better responses from the UI thread, but I'll try and chime in.

I use WASD for movement still (never liked ESDF) so most of my keys are bound to no further "east" than 5/t/g/b. Also use a Naga, so I have a lot bound on there.

Bar1
    1 - Judge
    2 - CS
    3 - HotR
    4 - ShotR
    5 - HoW
    S1 - Varies (focus J, or HA if I'm using it)
    S2 - Cons
    S3 - AD
    S4 - GoAK
    S5 - FoL
    V - DivProt
    Bar2
    + - Mount
    ` - FoJ/HoJ
    SZ - Holy Wrath
    Z - Taunt
    C - Blind
    X - Wings
    R - Rebuke
    F - Freedom
    B - Bubble/cancelaura
    G - EMFH
    Y - LoH
    Bar3
    Mouse4 - AS
    Mouse5 - t90
    Mouse6 - Devo
    MW up - SS
    MW down - WOG

Those 3 are stacked on each other in the bottom/middle of my screen with frames around each side (with focus, target/targettarget, etc) with castbars above and buffs/debuffs below. It gives nice symmetry (IMO) and keept things ordered and compact. I know it's largely personal preference, but your stuff is scattered all over in that screenshot.

I have another bar thats at low opacity on the right, that I have things bound to on the mouse: BoP, Salv, Engi boots/cape, Speed of Light, HoPur, Turn Evil, and things like Battle Horn, Dagger, Rod of Ambershaping, and other engi stuff/toys. They're all on mouse binds 6-12/extra buttons, since theyre situational.

Also bound Extra Action Button to Middle click.

Just prioritize your binds (like, do you really need an inspect button?) and don't be afraid to change your "game" binds to favor your "spell" binds. Since B is bubble for me, Shift-B is backpack/bags. Since C is Blind, Shift-C is now character pane. R is Rebuke, so Shift-R is Whisper. Mousewheels are used for SS/WOG, so I use Shift-MW for camera changes, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    Yeah, this is the big part of why I sit at 15%; there's really no other haste to gain, and I don't value mastery above Exp til I'm at 15%, so it becomes a non-issue once the ilvl inflates. Forese it being even moreso next tier.
    Well again, nobody is advocating not to go for 15 exp. The only grey area is wether to go haste>15 exp or 15 exp > haste, if you can reach 15 exp without costing you any haste, well then it is a no-brainer.

And yes, this is becoming a non-issue anymore, this was much larger issue in T14, and now in T16 it is most likely gonna be non-existant. I expect the threads popping up in T16 gonna be about mastery vs stam vs avoidance vs crit.

I bound my ShotR on Naga-like Logitech, button 4. also Cons on mouse side too
    1-AS
    2-CS
    3-J
    4-HoR
    5-Holy Wrath
    6-Lvl 90

What I found helpful is setting up OmniCC, so that it will show numbers for cooldowns less than 1 sec. On default it's 2 sec I believe.

One's man terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.