Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I prefer Skada because Recount has less options and over the years I've used them both, Recount is generally less stable. Both do their job quite well, though.
    "I realized it is the struggle itself that is the most important. We must strive to be more than we are. It does not matter that we will never reach our ultimate goal. The effort yields its own rewards." -Data

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    Eh, WoL is used to measure yourself against others all across the world, so it will always be considered the most accurate and it's the only one that matters in all honesty. Skada is usually the closest to it, so in terms of in game addons, I think most people will agree that Skada wins.
    What part about "provide proof (steps to reproduce). Otherwise you're just making up numbers." didn't you understand?
    People in this very thread claim the exact opposite (Recount being more in-line with WoL), yet neither side provides any prove. Noone needs these posts.

If you have nothing to contribute, just post nothing at all in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use both Skada and Recount but prefer Skada. Recount still does not track all the Brewmaster heals.

Deleted
    Been using recount for so many years so I'm sticking with it

15+ Year Old Account
    Since ultraxion in DS our guild banned recount as too many people were lagging out and getting fps lag with it on, AU internet doesn't have the upload bandwidth for recounts feature bloat.
    Skada is very light weight and doesn't kill you pc when there is alot of dmg/healing going out at once.

Recounts has a few more options, but since I switched over in ICC I haven't looked back.

Imo recount is for lfr players that don't know better and skada is for raiders
    Last edited by soulyouth; 2013-07-07 at 01:11 PM.
    Sig by Safhira

Deleted
    They are both accurate and good, but do things a bit differently.

Both are limited by combat log. Everything that doesn't show up there isn't logged (too far away, phased out, etc.)

Recount does sync between players provided they share the same version, which makes damage appear identical between players at the cost of more bandwith.
    Recount also measures DPS by damage per active time, which means if a player does absolutely nothing with no dots ticking, recount stops recording for a moment.

Skada does not sync, but is far more lightweight. Less memory and far less CPU usage.
    Skada measures DPS by damage per fight time. It simply divides the damage done by the seconds the player was alive and in combat.

damage done is logged identical between the two.
    World of Logs uses both DPS methods by DPS -> Recount and DPS(e) -> Skada.

---

As far as heals and absorbs go I'm not too sure. Could very well be that some count absorb as heal and some doesn't, but that really is highly irrelevant since you have to be able to properly read healing logs anyway before you can make any judge.

--

In terms of UI, recount logs more data in terms of variety. Which player got hit how often with how much damage from that one specific ability that the one specific add did? Recount does that, Skada does not. But then again, Skada is more resource efficient than recount because of that.

TL;DR: Skada is more efficient, Recount logs more things. Personally I use World of Logs to get insight, and Skada to get quick lightweight information.
    Last edited by mmoc1f853858c0; 2013-07-07 at 01:19 PM.

Deleted
    Didn't like Skada before but I decided to give it a go mid T14 and I've never looked back. Numbers are accurate, doesn't give me LUA errors all the time like Recount did and it takes up a lot less memory so yeah, Skada is great for me.

Used recount for many years, switched to Skada when stampede seemed to be screwing everything up on some fights. Never looked back. My desktop system could brute force through recount's immense bloat, but when I was traveling my laptop suffered with it. Now I just use skada on both.

Deleted
    Whoever uses world of logs will know that Skada is a lot more accurate than recount. Skada's numbers are almost identical to WoL's "effective DPS" which is what actually counts. Basically recount does not count the amount of time you spend doing nothing in a fight (moving, dying) as doing zero DPS, afaik it is as if they never existed, while skada does and always divides the amount of damage you did by the amount of time the fight took.

My info might be outdated though since I stopped using recount in early cataclysm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by soulyouth View Post
    AU internet doesn't have the upload bandwidth for recounts feature bloat.
    Upload bandwidth has no effect on Recount whatsoever, and vice versa.

You could also use worldoflogs as an alternative. I have my own account and often log certain boss fights and LFR for when I'm experimenting something and want the data to not just be of a temporary manner.

I'm surprised by the lack of people that do this - it's extremely helpful when you're comparing things.

I swapped to Skada when we're progressing on Lei Shen HC. On the pull, with 1 or 2 stampedes I'd be frozen for at least 10s, then back to normal (because of Recount).
    If I paused it, everything went smooth.

I don't really analyze healing but when it comes to damage they both have some stuff the other doesn't.

Recount let's you see which spells player X used on mob Y. Skada only tells you the damage that player X did on mob Y.
    Recount uses way more memory, and I believe that's because it has the option to show up graphs, that I never used.
    Skada interface is WAY more easier to understand than Recount, since it doesn't have all those check boxes.
    If there's a dot with the same name as a cast spell (ex Pyroblast), Skada puts them all together while Recount separates them ( Pyroblast and Pyroblast(dot) ).
    Skada has a death log.

Overall, I just prefer Skada.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugru View Post
    Upload bandwidth has no effect on Recount whatsoever, and vice versa.
    American with no idea how 3rd world Australian internet is.

This is about average for most of au

When ppl dc on pull 100% of the time with recount on and people start to lag out as dmg ramps up but, it magicaly never happens again with recount off or sync unticked, yeh it's not that at all.
    Last edited by soulyouth; 2013-07-07 at 01:55 PM.
    Sig by Safhira

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by soulyouth View Post
    American with no idea how 3rd world Australian internet is.

This is about average for most of au

When ppl dc on pull 100% of the time with recount on and people start to lag out as dmg ramps up but, it magicaly never happens again with recount off or sync unticked, yeh it's not that at all.
    You're misunderstanding. Recount does not use your network connection. At all. Well, that's not entirely accurate - it does use bandwidth when you download it from Curse or wherever you got it. After that it has no effect on your network whatsoever. People are "lagging out" because their systems are unable to handle the CPU load. My guess is they're using some ancient computers because even my iMac that I bought in 2008 can handle the CPU load of all of my add ons with no trouble.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valaras View Post
    Whoever uses world of logs will know that Skada is a lot more accurate than recount. Skada's numbers are almost identical to WoL's "effective DPS" which is what actually counts. Basically recount does not count the amount of time you spend doing nothing in a fight (moving, dying) as doing zero DPS, afaik it is as if they never existed, while skada does and always divides the amount of damage you did by the amount of time the fight took.

My info might be outdated though since I stopped using recount in early cataclysm.
    WoL's regular DPS is what counts, not DPS(e).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ugru View Post
    You're misunderstanding. Recount does not use your network connection.
    Syncing uses your network connection.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    It's been so long since I used Recount I forgot about syncing. Still, the bandwidth used is absolutely minuscule.

Deleted
    Wrooong. What counts is the damage done.
    DPS is simply a measurement of how well you could be doing in similiar circumstances. Here you can debate whether DPS or DPS(e) is right, because DPS is the theoretical number that you would be doing if you had no down time, whereas DPS(e) is what you actually did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    What's the point to have 2 windows open?
    A lot of people like to have both dps and healing showing at the same time.

Recount is a bigger resource hog, causes LUA errors and has been at the root of massive FPS drop issues on multiple raid bosses.

More and more people are switching to skada everyday. I never hear of people switching from skada to recount though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ccKep View Post
    What part about "provide proof (steps to reproduce). Otherwise you're just making up numbers." didn't you understand?
    People in this very thread claim the exact opposite (Recount being more in-line with WoL), yet neither side provides any prove. Noone needs these posts.

If you have nothing to contribute, just post nothing at all in my opinion.
    If you have a basic understanding of how they both work, then I'm sure you can make the connection yourself. Recount takes your dps in terms of the damage you did per second while you were dpsing. Skada takes into account your active time in terms of the fight, so if you took a break in the middle of the fight, your dps would be lower than it would be if you were using recount. WoL uses effective dps or dps (e) to determine rankings, which is what Skada tracks. Effective dps is of course more important than the dps you did while you were playing, because it doesn't matter if you did 500k dps in the first 20 seconds and then died, because you didn't contribute very much to the group.

Now, if you want actual proof? Well, I'm not going to go around busting my ass to explain something that is pretty simple to understand. Recount = dps and Skada = dps (e)

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

WoL's DPS (e) is what is used to determine whether you ranked or not, SO actually you've got it backwards.