Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help with my Arms warrior or should I roll to something else

Hello there!
    I've been looking and reading at the many posts here on the forums, especially a warrior since I've been one from day one when I started WoW a long time ago. I moved from a low pop server to a higher one now and luckily through hard work, I was able to get my warrior to ilvl of 506/7. stormrage/Angelba/simple This is my armory to make it easier for folks.
    I'm writing this because I'm in need of making my arms warrior viable for raiding. I have been trying to get into PuGs on Stormrage for ToT and I cannot get into any groups. Should I just switch to fury since all i really care for is PvE? Or maybe it's time to give up warrior and roll with the FoTm?
    I don't know how to do logs so I am sorry I cannot provide you that info. Thanks for any advice or help you can give!

I remember reading on here, arms is the lowest DPS spec in the game at the moment, so your best bet is to probably go fury, which is middle of the pack. Ill see if i can find the post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure how we can help you here, you don't really ask any direct questions!
    Your gemming and reforging is fine, nothing wrong there. If we could get some numbers in form of a picture of your recount/skada after a raid/instance/dummy or something so we can see what you actually do. Arms is good at lower crit and ilevels, so there shouldn't be any output issues that way, but arms is tricky if you're not familiar with it.

---------- Post added 2013-06-28 at 01:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Greeneye7 View Post
    I remember reading on here, arms is the lowest DPS spec in the game at the moment, so your best bet is to probably go fury, which is middle of the pack. Ill see if i can find the post.
    At end game gear, arms is one of the lowest, yes. But he's at 506 ilvl, and arms is pretty good then compared to fury.
    Fog the Proven Assailant
    <The Internet People>
    Stormrage EU
    Stream Twitter WeakAuras - discontinued

As mentioned by Serago, there's little info to go on. And to me, it seems more like it'd be an issue with your rotation and prioritizing as opposed to your gear (providing you have the correct gemming and such). Many people don't like the Arms playstyle, but it can be fun if you can get it down. It does take a good bit of time however to reach that level of proficiency.

Deleted
    OP's armory

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...gelba/advanced

---------- Post added 2013-06-28 at 02:06 PM ----------

your gear seems good enough to go for fury. i'm waiting for 20% crit unbuffed myself, so I have 50% raidbuffed for BT.

As others have said, you haven't given a lot to go off on. I would say stick with arms because fury is a 180 degree playstyle from the arms button mash way, and anyone not ready for that will definitely not do as well as they would playing arms averagely. Let me help with what I can though -

1. Looking at your gear, try to get a helm (Possibly 486 would be good enough, but don't quote me on that, so to be safe I would try to get a 496/502 helm) that has a meta socket in it. Meta is huge and not having that hurts you.

2. You can reforge out of some hit as well. Use the addon Reforgelite to help you reforge without having to mess with that stuff by yourself. It's very useful.

3. I see you are using tier 14 gloves. If possible, try to get another piece of tier 14 (legs might be easiest if you can procure them from Sha of Anger) and use it. 2 piece t14 is huge for arms and you wouldn't replace that with LFR/valor items. If you get 522s 2 piece t15 though from Nalak, definitely use that over t14.

4. I'm not sure what you are going to spend your valor on next, but I highly recommend upgrading your current weapon to 2/2. That should be a far better use of that 500 valor than anything else you could spend it on honestly.

Other than those points, I would say if you don't think you are doing well, it most likely has to do with how you are doing your rotation at that point. Going to need more info there to help you out.

By the way - from one warrior pugger to another - you are going to have a very frustrating time. Melee are just not very wanted in most pugs and warriors happen to be the bottom of the bottom especially if you are arms (because of the rep it has). You will have a far better time trying to join a guild and doing ToT that way than trying to find a pug easily and often as a warrior. If that's not to your liking, you might be better off rolling a FotM class; range are always in high demand especially if you play a mage or warlock.
    Last edited by Dawnrage; 2013-06-28 at 01:23 PM.

Dawnrage that's just armory not being up to date yet, all 516 helms have a meta+blue socket since some hot fix 2 or 3 weeks ago

Oh sorry that I was vague. I want to improve my damage-I tend to burst up to about 130K or so but then i drop to 76k dps. I took a screen shot to show you my damage. I recently got some new gear so I will see if that improves it. mm81/AngelBaez52/ScreenShot2013-06-28at20945PM.png-I cannot post links but I added this from photobucket so i do not know if you folks can find that. Thanks for the help and I hope Im not being too vague now. I want pointers to fix my arms dos any/or tips. If not I would like to hear your opinion of maybe I should move away from arms and try something else for a melee dps class. I love melees so it's something that i enjoy doing.

Deleted
    When do you drop from 130k to 76k dps, outside of your cooldowns? On the dummy? On any boss in particular?

Can't handle your picture/link (it's not photobucket.com/user/mm81/AngelBaez52/ScreenShot2013-06-28at20945PM.png ) os i can't comment on that.

I play arms myself, but fury skyrockets in damage when you obtain raiding gear (-> reaching 100% crit with BT raidbuffed with proccs) and both setboni also favor fury imho, so prepare to get used to it (at least until 5.4, then arms should be able to compete at least on aoe heavy fights).

Quote Originally Posted by klausistklaus View Post
    When do you drop from 130k to 76k dps, outside of your cooldowns? On the dummy? On any boss in particular?

Can't handle your picture/link (it's not photobucket.com/user/mm81/AngelBaez52/ScreenShot2013-06-28at20945PM.png ) os i can't comment on that.

I play arms myself, but fury skyrockets in damage when you obtain raiding gear (-> reaching 100% crit with BT raidbuffed with proccs) and both setboni also favor fury imho, so prepare to get used to it (at least until 5.4, then arms should be able to compete at least on aoe heavy fights).
    After cooldowns i drop to 76K and this was on a dummy. Sorry I cannot post links yet because of the weird posting limitations I have on here but it is supposed to be a photobucket link to the image.

Angel; good morning. I apologize I haven't noticed this thread earlier. I should start paying more attention over here....

Anyway... with in regards to your post I'll try and lend my help. First of all, my main is an Arms Warrior. You can find my armory here: Carlottà. You may notice that I, too, am on Stormrage. I'd be happy to run some dungeons / test dummies / LFR's with you to really look at your performance and output.

However... going off just what I see here I would take a guess that the reason you're dipping so low is your rage management. Burst is OK but the key to Arms is rage management. In Fury, you're rotating on a 6-14 playstyle; 6 seconds of absolute burst (Colossus Smash) and 14 seconds of rage saving for the next 6 second window. Arms is not like this; you have to manage your rage on a more balanced scale.

With this in mind here is my ideal rotation and equivalent rage pools and you can determine any similarities / differences based on your own play:

• Colossus Smash
    • Mortal Strike
    • Execute
    • Dragon Roar
    • Slam / Overpower (Depending on available rage)
    • Heroic Strike

The rage pool abilities (Slam / Overpower) have a unique priority. If you are, say, above 40 rage I would use Slam. (This is especially true if you are within your Recklessness / Skull Banner window). The reason being is that Overpower already has a 60% chance to critically hit and Slam is the heavier hitter anyway; use the crit buffs on Slam.

With this, however, you do not want to neglect Overpower as it reduces the CD of Mortal Strike. Keeping both of these in mind I try to balance out a 1:2 ratio of Slam:Overpower per Mortal Strike. Typically what happens is Slam is used followed by 1 - 2 Overpowers to get Mortal Strike back up.

Keeping this mindset should allow a steady flow of rage coming and going during your rotation. There will be times that you're at the low end (less than 10) and there may be times where you're really, really full on rage and, at this point, you can throw in Heroic Strike (It's off the GCD; 30 rage; nice rage dump coupled with Slam). Once you're back to the 15 - 30 rage area you can go back to a more steady rotation.

I hope this helps; if you need any clarification please feel free to ask. For further guidance you can also check out my Arms "guide" over on Icy Veins if you haven't done so yet. It may (or may not) prove useful. 5.3 Arms Warrior: The Other DPS Spec Also, feel free to hit me up in game if need be. I'll be glad to help there, too, as I said.

Thanks a ton for the feedback and help. Sorry it took a while to reply. I got some new gear and my dps has jumped up a bit, not as high as I want it to be but it's decent. Warriors really don't feel as beast as I remember when I started playing but I'll just enjoy it for the meantime. Now that I am at ilvl 515, should I make the switch to fury?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelknight52 View Post
    Thanks a ton for the feedback and help. Sorry it took a while to reply. I got some new gear and my dps has jumped up a bit, not as high as I want it to be but it's decent. Warriors really don't feel as beast as I remember when I started playing but I'll just enjoy it for the meantime. Now that I am at ilvl 515, should I make the switch to fury?
    from what I can tell, Fury vs Arms is less a case of "how high is my itemlevel?" and more a case of "how high is my crit with mastery reforges and 2 weapons?"

if you have 25-30% crit unbuffed in fury with 2 weapons, it's worth it. but if you have shit itemized weapons and armor, you should try and get some crit gear first.

Depends on your weaps and crit. I would do a hard switch to fury at 27ish unbuffed crit til then stay arms with 522 weaps you should be doing decent dmg

My suggestion is that you should make the switch to fury earlier rather than later since you need time to get used to the play style.

download an add on called ovale spell priority and use that as your rotation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just go Fury and read the Fury sticky on this forum which has all the info you need, Arms in ToT is really only competitive on one fight being Council and Fury wins single target or mass AoE. Follow the guide and spend some time on the dummies until you have the rotation/priority system down without even having to think about it.

Priority for most PUG leaders is to find tanks/healers > dps with full exp > rdps > mdps. Unfortunately you are a mdps class who falls middle of the pack when it comes to DPS and utility. The simple fact is they need tanks, healers and rdps to be able to clear ToT and Iron Qon is the only boss which could be considered as being easier with a mdps soak group.

If you only want to play Warrior dps then do your best to stand out otherwise swap to Prot and tank or reroll a range to get into PUGs with ease.

Hey there, Thank you so much for your replies! I've gotten my warrior to do about 85k dps now with my gear after using my cooldowns. I think I am gonna reroll especially after today-I was in LFR and had a 504 ilvl Ret Paladin beat me in dps. Arms is dead for pie and I feel like my warrior is just bland-nothing useful. I might go prot on him for the rest of this patch, but right now Im thinking of switching to a melee with more oomph and purpose.

I'm sorry to hear you've come to this decision. I personally feel that Arms can do just fine in most situations (25man heroics with BiS aside), but there's an amount of time that needs to be spent to really nail down how the spec plays to bring it up to the levels that can compete with others. I can easily compete with or do better than other similarly geared Fury warrior, as well as hitting top five or top three on the meters. But I've also been playing Arms since the old days, so I have a lot of practice. Then there's some days that the RNG gods simply aren't in my favor and my numbers fall short.

What it really boils down to, is play the game for the game and the content. Worry about the numbers another time (if at all). At the end of the day, if the boss is dead, then you did your job, and that's all that should matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maxalyss View Post
    download an add on called ovale spell priority and use that as your rotation.
    Only if you are such a terrible player you can't do DPS any other way.