Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

How Do You Feel About Steam Client?

Personally I've never really had a good experience with Steam. There's always been something that's been bugging me or not working.

Here's just a short list of problems I've had with Steam:

-Lag
    -The client is clunky and needs to be redesigned, imo.
    -Sometimes the download speed of games has been so slow it can't even be considered decent by todays standards and no I can assure you this is not cause of my connection.
    - The fact that Steam HAS to run in the background at all times to play any games is just ridiculous.

And now, today, I just can't seem to be able to purchase a couple of games. With the Steam Summer sale I was hoping I could pick 1-2 games up but that doesn't seem to be a possibility. All I get as a message is this, which seems to be complete bullshit.

"Your purchase has not been completed. Your credit card information has been declined by your credit card company.

Note that in some cases, your credit card company may put a 'hold' on funds in your account, but you will not be charged. After correcting any errors in the information displayed below, please try your purchase again."

"An unexpected error has occurred. Your purchase has not been completed.
    Please contact Steam Support."

Now is it just me or is Steam completely fucking useless? I just can't put into words how much I hate the client.

/end of rant
    Last edited by fromis; 2013-07-12 at 12:24 AM.

Deleted
    Never had a bad experience with Steam. Also their customer service has gone above and beyond their duty and my user agreement to help out, multiple times.

Edit; and never had a purchase failure, only problems I have with the client is connection issues at times, but that's on my IP and not Steam involved.

Can't say I've had any of these issues since like 2008.

10+ Year Old Account
    i like steam, but not their customer service really, never had a good experience with them.

but steam is great for sales!
    dragonmaw - EU

Perhaps it's just things on your end making it a bad experience. I've personally never had any problems. DL speed is always fast, good interface, good CS, and sales are awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    My last issue was their security breach, like 4-5 years ago, had my CC info stolen and sold / given away- but my card provider managed to lock it up before anything happened.

Try Origin, then complain.

I got the same error today when trying to pay for Dragon Age: Origins with my credit card, switched to paypal instead and it worked just fine. It's worth a shot.

Other than that, I rarely experience any issues with steam and I'm overall pretty content with it. It's definitely the best DRM out there in my experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

10+ Year Old Account
    I could never complain about steam, especially as an Aussie. The prices are usually half retail even before sales... Have not had a purchase issue yet, and the 2 reasons I have had to contact customer service were resolved fairly quickly and with no hassle.

Steam is shit compared to what exactly? They do what they do better than anyone. As for client issues I've never really had them, it might be a hardware/location issue. If you don't like that style of service though then don't use it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Take into account that you're trying to use steam under it's heaviest load, because of the sale. Considering that, I think it's actually holding up pretty well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joathen View Post
    The funny thing is I've never had a problem with Origin... Granted I've only played two games on it (ME3 and SimCity).

I don't like either. The only reason I use Steam is because I would be stupid not to take advantage of the sales.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    The funny thing is I've never had a problem with Origin... Granted I've only played two games on it (ME3 and SimCity).

I don't like either. The only reason I use Steam is because I would be stupid not to take advantage of the sales.
    I've had the issue of having my game list being empty on Origin, despite several complete reinstallations. Somehow, clicking on "Install game" in battlelog fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post

The sales really are the best reason for steam. I don't mind steam, my one issue is how they love passing the buck. They blame everything on game developers, like Disciples 2 which they still sell but is unable to be used consistently in windows 7 (only need to open it multiple times and change pc resolution to make it run).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    I've had the issue of having my game list being empty on Origin, despite several complete reinstallations. Somehow, clicking on "Install game" in battlelog fixed it.
    Origin has me and my Canadian CC banned because they hate China. They refuse to accept Chinese IPs placing orders, and even reversed one order of mine for SWTOR because I logged in on swtor.com and logged in with my VPN off one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkey One View Post
    Steam is shit compared to what exactly? They do what they do better than anyone. As for client issues I've never really had them, it might be a hardware/location issue. If you don't like that style of service though then don't use it.
    Why do you feel like I need to make a comparison? Imo a client this widely used shouldn't have so many problems if you ask me. But I could ofc be alone thinking this way.
    No, it's not a "hardware/location issue" either since I live in Sweden with a decent rig and 100/10mbit/s connection. None of that should be the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    Take into account that you're trying to use steam under it's heaviest load, because of the sale. Considering that, I think it's actually holding up pretty well.
    Considering it's almost 03.00 over here in Europe I doubt the servers are under the heaviest load since I believe EU/US don't share servers.
    Last edited by fromis; 2013-07-12 at 12:56 AM.

I have never run into issues such as this. I also have no issue with Steam running in the background, since you can tell it to go offline and it uses a very small amount of system resources and no bandwidth while doing so.

I sympathize with your difficulties, but can't really agree with you.

Deleted
    0 issues. Their CS was fine the one time I needed to use it.

I'm not even having any trouble accessing the sales right now as some are so *shrug*

It does what I need it to do, the only thing I don't like about it is that it installs updates for games without asking but I'm sure I can toggle a setting for that somewhere.

Never had an issue with steam, I usually use Paypal to pay.

Regarding the Download speed, it literally uses every ounce of internet to download. If i do anything else while steam is downloading, 99% of the time it doesnt work. Steam trys to finish first.

The client is a little laggy, but I love it aesthetically. I've never really had issue with it, either.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    I have never run into issues such as this. I also have no issue with Steam running in the background, since you can tell it to go offline and it uses a very small amount of system resources and no bandwidth while doing so.

I sympathize with your difficulties, but can't really agree with you.
    Sure I suppose that's one way to avoid having it in the background. But the thing is I've been playing some Dota2 before and with Steam running in the background I can't bind certain keybindings etc, such as shift-(insert key). Which I realise is a MINOR inconvinience at most. Still annoying though.

10+ Year Old Account
    3 Reasons I hate the Steam Client.

1. Ads, because they are annoying pop ups that I get after quitting TF2 and other games.

2. I hate that I can't just double click my skse loader for Skyrim without first booting up Steam. I hate that extra boot up time for features that I dont use, that shouldnt have to be used to play the game.

3. I hate how they set up Steam Cloud. I installed a mod for Skyrim that broke the game, the Steam cloud loaded it into the cloud, so when I reinstalled, it didnt fix it. Yet there is no option for me to delete my data that is in their cloud. I have to contact them and wait days for customer support. How hard is it to add a delete cloud files option next to the delete local files option!

- - - Updated - - -

About what in comparison? I don't get pop up ads on Origin. It still has to load up, but I dont notice it taking longer then Steam. Never had a problem installing games from it, or loading games off back up storage. I have never contacted their customer support, but then I havent had to.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.