Ji'kun 10HC Nest Guardian tanking

Have any of you successfully tanked the Ji'kun nest guardians with a nontraditional tank - warlock, hunter turtle, rogue, enhance shaman, etc? Do you have any tips or tricks or suggestions on how best to do it?

Signed, a lazy prot paladin who doesn't want to do nests.

One of the reasons to tank the nests is to get the feed the young buff to increase your dps. I'm not sure you gain anything by trying to do some quirky strat.

Well, what we'd gain is that I can be lazy and stay on the main platform practicing my rotation. This is all in support of me avoiding work.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    One of the reasons to tank the nests is to get the feed the young buff to increase your dps. I'm not sure you gain anything by trying to do some quirky strat.
    Well, if they could get a dps to tank it and then grab the buff, it would increase overall raid dps by a greater amount. Unless the tank is doing more than a dps
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

I pity your raid group.

Warning; Post more constructively. (Sonnillon)
    Last edited by Sonnillon; 2013-07-12 at 12:42 PM.

Should really just have your tanks learn to fly but I suppose maybe a DK going Blood Pres. or Warrior going Prot Stance may work I dont know though have never tried it should just do it the normal way.

Deleted
    Are you farming or working on progress?
    If you're working on progress, then have a real tank go there.. the guardian just hits too hard on the dps, and the healers will need their mana and cooldowns for quills etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirri View Post
    I pity your raid group.
    And exactly this too ... saying you don't wanna do it, but just want to be lazy, jeez.

I've had our warlock and rogue pop cooldowns to do it before and usually they survive.

But I really don't see what the issue is. When my group does it, the starting tank will go down for nest 2, fly up for nest 4, and go back down for nest 8. The other tank never even has to do nests at all.

Our logs have the Nest Guardians meleeing a real tank for about 100k.

So probably 150k on a dpser. And any CDs used to help mitigate would have to be on a ~60s CD in order to be used on the second downstairs & then back up to use on the first upstairs (I see 90s between the deaths of the first two nest guardians on my logs). I have seen a warlock tank one nest guardian, but I also saw the same warlock die on the nest guardian following.

Which really comes down to "how good are your nest healers?"

Considering the tanks only need to go to the middle nest downstairs & the first nest upstairs, which is hardly a demanding schedule, it seems like it's just asking for trouble for no good purpose. You can do these fights in all sorts of oddball ways - I've also seen H-Ji-Kun two healed - but it doesn't mean it's a good idea if you're aiming for low-risk smooth kills.

From experience a MW monk have no issues healing anybody that tanks the guardian while they are both on the platform. blackout kicks cleave does large amount of healing keeping anyone alive while doing big dps to speed up clearing the platform. We reguarly two heal the fight (disc + monk) and the only danger is the quills shortly after 6th nest (the one above ji kun) which we deal by killing those nests quickly enough and then we all jump down immedietly and I blow revival mid-air to heal everyone. Though I dont really see the point of not having a second tank going to the nest and doing this fight with 1 tank only sounds pretty hard

A non traditional tank is ill-suited to substitute for the simple fact it's doubtful they can survive incoming damage from tanking and the large amount of raid damage via quills.

If you're not comfortable tanking maybe you should consider dealing damage, tanking heroic encounters is not for the faint of heart.

OK, so what I'm hearing is that I'm a loser, a warlock can tank a single nest with cooldowns, I'm a horrible person, nobody has tried any other non-tankish tanks, and I should probably quit World of Warcraft because I'm so terrible.

Fair assessment? Sorry to bother you guys with my lameishness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninotchka View Post
    Well, what we'd gain is that I can be lazy and stay on the main platform practicing my rotation. This is all in support of me avoiding work.
    Warlock with pet can do all the nest guardian tanking, but there is some need for healing as well, although nothing extreme. This way the two tanks can stay on the main platform, experiencing normal mode with bigger numbers, alttab, etc.

You probably shouldn't be doing hardmodes if your goal is to be as lazy as possible. That being said, my buddies guild uses a demo lock tank on the nest guardians I believe, because their tanks aren't smart enough to get to platforms at the right time -.-

15+ Year Old Account
    I did manage to tank a nest as affliction lock when one of our tanks got confused and didn't jump down. I just popped all my defensive cooldowns and I was fine. Wouldn't recommend it though.

I think you can technically do it but with lots of defensive cds because guardians hit very hard so it ends up not being worth it.

Have any of you successfully tanked the Ji'kun nest guardians with a nontraditional tank - warlock, hunter turtle, rogue, enhance shaman, etc? Do you have any tips or tricks or suggestions on how best to do it?

Signed, a lazy prot paladin who doesn't want to do nests.
    Then you shouldn't be doing heroic raid content. Honestly, if I was in your guild and you had that attitude I would be looking to replace you.

Do you fail at jumping and are afraid of embarrassing yourself? I'm just confused why you wouldnt want to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    Then you shouldn't be doing heroic raid content. Honestly, if I was in your guild and you had that attitude I would be looking to replace you.

Do you fail at jumping and are afraid of embarrassing yourself? I'm just confused why you wouldnt want to do it.

im a raid leader as well as a tank and i pretty much feel the exact same way, try going back to normally if you want to be lazy it's a harsh truth but it sounds like you wont make the cut in harder encounters than jumping on a nest and tanking an add.

Hrm ... with around 600k health, my Sacrificial Pact gives me an absorb shield of around 600k ... taking into account the health it costs to make the shield, I'd have around 1.05 million effective health ... and that's not counting my Soul Leech shield, which also goes up to my total health ...

So, in theory a Warlock with my gear level (534 equipped) could have an effective health of ~1.65 million every 60 seconds.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Hrm ... with around 600k health, my Sacrificial Pact gives me an absorb shield of around 600k ... taking into account the health it costs to make the shield, I'd have around 1.05 million effective health ... and that's not counting my Soul Leech shield, which also goes up to my total health ...

So, in theory a Warlock with my gear level (534 equipped) could have an effective health of ~1.65 million every 60 seconds.
    You might have forgotten about this small little thing called quills.