View Poll Results: What type of effect would a cash shop have on the North American market?

Voters
113. This poll is closed
  • Positive

37 32.74%
  • Negative

76 67.26%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have way more money then time, so I would love a way to buy xp boosts and lesser charms.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

Remove monthly fee if youre going to add a cash shop blizzard. Stop milking

10+ Year Old Account
    a cash shop would just be another addition to a sinking ship. but it'll make a crap ton of money!
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    People have principles
    Which aren't being challenged at all. So far it just looks like a short cut allowing ppl to purchase things for the already existing internet shop without tabbing out.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deadllbolt View Post
    you forgot to include the correct answer, which is no effect.
    Not sure if serious...

You can't possibly believe a cash shop would have Z E R O effect on the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Weightlifter View Post
    Dem Murricans forgot that Europe exists too?
    If EU wants a poll, let them make one. The EU market is not my concern as I do not live there, and my opinion in their market would be both unnecessary and unsubstantiated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    Source for it only being released in Asia?
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-game-payments

There is 31 pages of people screaming about it being released in the Asian markets.
    Last edited by -Superman-; 2013-07-12 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shedeo View Post
    Why? Its not pay2win so what does it matter?
    Its the principle of offering in game advantages via real life money whilst it's on a subscription base

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone bothered to ask how it would effect Asia?

We already have a store selling in-game pets/mounts.
    What you are describing is simply an in-game interface.
    No effect whatsoever, since it is offering nothing new in itself.
    The items being sold are what we need to question, and with only a single example so far we cannot judge that fairly.

It is simply an interface in-game for the already existing store, what part of that do people not get.

Mogu Runes are limited by the weekly quest, and even without a boost or effort-free gain of Lesser Charms I am already gathering way more of those than I can possibly convert on the weekly quest.

XP boosts are only useful prior to level cap, which for most characters will be a tiny portion of their time played.
    Those are nothing to worry about since their impact is short-lived and offers no power advantage over another player, only making levelling a bit faster.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-07-12 at 03:09 PM.

First off I think it will have a negative and positive effect on the game and me personally I think blizzard adding a ingame cash shop that works F2p/B2p mmo's without a f2p setup or at lease a p2p/f2p setup is a really bad form of double dipping.

Second I find it funny that some people are ok with blizzard doing it but god forbid a f2p mmo comes out and dose the same thing they get called "Pay 2 Win and Greedy"

And Finally we will know more soon I hope and see how this plays out. Not to get people yelling at me I have been saying it for awhile but I think blizzard is starting to lay the ground work down to go ether P2P+F2P or 100% f2p+Xpac cost's.

It will be interesting to watch I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    We already have a store selling in-game pets/mounts.
    What you are describing is simply an in-game interface.
    No effect whatsoever, since it is offering nothing new in itself.
    The items being sold are what we need to question, and with only a single example so far we cannot judge that fairly.

It is simply an interface in-game for the already existing store, what part of that do people not get.
    Pets and mounts is one thing cosmetic gear and boosts is another.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Which aren't being challenged at all. So far it just looks like a short cut allowing ppl to purchase things for the already existing internet shop without tabbing out.
    The idea of a subscription model game using an in game store to offer in game advantages is disgusting to me and to many other players. If WoW went F2P i'd happily see it, but until then no way

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jaber2 View Post
    Anyone bothered to ask how it would effect Asia?
    Asia has their own thread going on.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-game-payments

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    First off I think it will have a negative and positive effect on the game and me personally I think blizzard adding a ingame cash shop that works F2p/B2p mmo's without a f2p setup or at lease a p2p/f2p setup is a really bad form of double dipping.

Second I find it funny that some people are ok with blizzard doing it but god forbid a f2p mmo comes out and dose the same thing they get called "Pay 2 Win and Greedy"

And Finally we will know more soon I hope and see how this plays out. Not to get people yelling at me I have been saying it for awhile but I think blizzard is starting to lay the ground work down to go ether P2P+F2P or 100% f2p+Xpac cost's.

It will be interesting to watch I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Pets and mounts is one thing cosmetic gear and boosts is another.
    Yes, but what impact does an xp boost and a lesser charm boost actually have ?
    Neither increase power, levelling isnt exactly hard as it is for the majority of players not constrained by the internet cafe model.
    Mogu Runes conversion from lesser charms is limited by a weekly quest, which means there is no impact to a boost to the lesser charms acquisition.
    Only if the conversion was unlimited, or consderably higher with a weekly cap being unrealistic to meet though normal play could there be any reason to be concerned. Neither are currently or likely to be the case in the future.
    Where has there been a mention of cosmetic gear, and given that multiple other games have sold skins/outfits really what is wrong with that ?
    Race /faction changes as an already existing option have far more of an impact than cosmetic gear would.

Now certainly the "double-dipping" argument is worth discussing, but the presence of the store in offering an in-game interface for an already existing store is simply being twisted by people who are yelling about it being something else entirely.

Nothing being sold so far, or being hinted at is as horrible or as game-breaking as people make them out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    The idea of a subscription model game using an in game store to offer in game advantages is disgusting to me and to many other players. If WoW went F2P i'd happily see it, but until then no way
    And what advantages are those ?
    Keeps being thrown around with nobody actually able to provide any reasons.
    Players have already recruited random people for the sake of Recruit a Friend or Scroll of Ressurection.
    Really are XP boosts harmful or selling power ? No.
    Their presence in a F2P title does not make them selling power, so why should their presence in WoW suddenly make them very different ?
    It doesn't.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-07-12 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Yes, but what impact does an xp boost and a lesser charm boost actually have ?
    Neither increase power, levelling isnt exactly hard as it is.
    Mogu Runes conversion from lesser charms is limited by a weekly quest, which means there is no impact to a boost to the lesser charms acquisition.
    Only if the conversion was unlimited, or consderably higher with a weekly cap being unrealistic to meet though normal play could there be any reason to be concerned. Neither are currently or likely to be the case in the future.
    Where has there been a mention of cosmetic gear, and given that multiple other games have sold skins/outfits really what is wrong with that ?

Now certainly the "double-dipping" argument is worth discussing, but the presence of the store in offering an in-game interface for an already existing store is simply being twisted by people who are yelling about it being something else entirely.

Nothing being sold so far, or being hinted at is as horrible or as game-breaking as people make them out to be.

And what advantages are those ?
    Keeps being thrown around with nobody actually able to provide any reasons.
    Players have already recruited random people for the sake of Recruit a Friend or Scroll of Ressurection.
    Really are XP boosts harmful or seling power ? No.
    Their presence in a F2P title does not make them selling power, so why should their presence in WoW suddenly make them very different ?
    It doesn't.
    I'm not saying that it dose make it P2w so don't take it that way and I am not subbed at this time so it dose not effect me ether way and if I was subbed it still wouldn't effect me.

My personal beef with it is like I said its a bad form of Double Dipping. If your going to start doing the cash shop setup like how F2p MMO's do it then you need to go ether F2p or P2p/F2p or B2p. To me its just super greedy I never liked the cost of server transfers and character transfers and this is just the icing on the cake to that.

I don't believe its P2W in anyway shape or form and like you said people can do the Recruit a friend/Scroll of ress and get the same benefit's.

Its more of a wait and see what they will do but if they make a cash shop like how F2p/B2p mmo's do it then they need to go with the same sub plan as well.

Its like I said I think this will have both a Positive and Negative effect on the game.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Heres a question for you guys: If they launched the cash store at the same time as MoP do you think blizzard would still had hotfixed the lesser charms weekly quest (from 90 needed to 50)? Even if we domt see any major changes as soon as they launch the cash shop it might change blizzards decisions in future expansions

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    Its the principle of offering in game advantages via real life money whilst it's on a subscription base
    If someone pays the normal subscription fee to play the game for 1 month and that person then goes to the cash shop to buy a 100% exp boost at the cost of a monthly subscription fee he is essentially just paying 200% in subscription. Lets say that person would normally take 1 month to level a new character to level 90 now only takes 2 weeks, but the price in real life currency for that level 90 is exactly the same, the only thing he gained was more time in his life outside wow to do other things.

There is no principle to be held in this matter, he just relatively pays the same as you to get to the same part of the game that the basic subscription covers aka the new endgame material.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sisk View Post
    If someone pays the normal subscription fee to play the game for 1 month and that person then goes to the cash shop to buy a 100% exp boost at the cost of a monthly subscription fee he is essentially just paying 200% in subscription. Lets say that person would normally take 1 month to level a new character to level 90 now only takes 2 weeks, but the price in real life currency for that level 90 is exactly the same, the only thing he gained was more time in his life outside wow to do other things.

There is no principle to be held in this matter, he just relatively pays the same as you to get to the same part of the game that the basic subscription covers aka the new endgame material.
    This is a very logical assessment. It will, however, be met with resistance by the gamers who think players should get no advantage of any kind and play the game the same way THEY play it. They will say things like "work hard" and "they should have to earn it". I agree with your post, but there are others who fail to understand the value in choice and the freedom to have those choices.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    The only correct answer is: We don't know.

There is no info yet what will be in the store. What will be there at the start, what it will be expanded to. Every judgement is clouded by either hate for this feature or praise for this feature. Oh yeah..and by the fact that I suppose there are no market anylysts, game designers or otherwise econonomocally savvy people participating in the talk.

All guesswork and opinion
    Everything we state is going to be speculation. That is the purpose of the thread. Also, just as an aside... your "Location" states you are: In your thread - aggrevating you. You might want to swap that e with an a

10+ Year Old Account
    why should someone get to pay $$$ for additional benefits?
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Thanks Much appreciated...
    No worries. I love the quote, but I just wanted to let you know before someone else was less than polite about it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    why should someone get to pay $$$ for additional benefits?
    Why shouldn't they?

The cash shop will sell as much as Blizzard feels it can get away with in the west without causing a mass exodus. They are starting out very cautiously with charms but everyone with a brain knows that selling charms is only an experimental beginning.

I wouldn't have too much faith in Blizzard. They did recently create, approve and support the greediest game design that was D3.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    The cash shop will sell as much as Blizzard feels it can get away with in the west without causing a mass exodus. They are starting out very cautiously with charms but everyone with a brain knows that selling charms is only an experimental beginning.

I wouldn't have too much faith in Blizzard. They did recently create, approve and support the greediest game design that was D3.
    D3 and the RMAH was driven by a player-created demand which existed back in D2.
    Sure blizzard did capitalise on it, but people are quick to forget that it only exists because in D2 players did pay real money for items from other 3rd parties where there was far less control over the outcome.
    Players made the problem, and then as usual whine about it.

As demonstrated by this poll, which is simply not offering fair options.

Unless blizzard sell some really screwed up items on the shop, then it will have no negative impact.
    It will have no impact on players with no interest in purchasing the items, and the two described items so far simply do not have the impact players seem to think they do.
    Heirlooms, RAF, SoR already cheat or trivialise much of the process, so it is not like another option is going to be harmful, and one not yet confirmed to be in the markets with the traditional subscription.

The elixir buff lasts 1 hour, and the elixir itself stacks upto 20 times in a given inventory slot.
    What that means is that you can pick and choose when to use it for maximum effect, such as when entering a dungeon but not while questing typically.
    It simply will not be realistic to double your levelling speed, or get anything close to that.
    And cost-wise an extra months subscription will likely cost less than trying to get a months-worth of extra xp.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-07-12 at 05:53 PM.