Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    Vitamin B12. One important stuff missing. Which you don't get from topsoil crops anymore because of processing methods. Hardly "a lot of important stuff".
    Do you know what vitamin B12 deficiency can do to you ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    And there it is. A vegan diet isn't complete, it's missing a lot of important stuff.
    imo bacon is the most important part of a vegan diet.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Guys, can we pretty lease keep this on topic to bacon and the restaurant in the OP?

This isn't the place for piling on vegetarians just cos you know a guy who didn't get all his vitamins or whatever.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

I don't really like it, usually too salty and greasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayona View Post
    If your ventalation system isnt good enough to get rid of the smell you shouldnt be in business. Also, the smell of bacon used to make me vomit. Seriously, when was the last time you walked by a KFC or Mcdonalds and from the outside you could smell it?
    I'm pretty sure several franchises intentionally try to make the area surrounding their businesses smell like the product they sell. I can definitely smell a Burger King restaurant from a block or two away, unless it's a location inside a mall. I live about a hundred yards from a McDonalds and occasionally outside in my backyard I smell either French Fries or McNuggets. Would not surprise me the slightest is this was an intentional method those franchises use to advertise their products to those in the local area - and seeing as how so many people like bacon, I'd be willing to guess these guys hopped on that train of thought too.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaynorth View Post
    I'm pretty sure several franchises intentionally try to make the area surrounding their businesses smell like the product they sell. I can definitely smell a Burger King restaurant from a block or two away, unless it's a location inside a mall. I live about a hundred yards from a McDonalds and occasionally outside in my backyard I smell either French Fries or McNuggets. Would not surprise me the slightest is this was an intentional method those franchises use to advertise their products to those in the local area - and seeing as how so many people like bacon, I'd be willing to guess these guys hopped on that train of thought too.
    Yes they do, intentionally. And not just the major franchises like BK or McD. I live in an area with many locally owned, independent, restaurants, and you'll get a full bouquet of food smells if you walk that street.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I like the taste of it in combination with other things but I can't eat just bacon alone on a plate. It's very heavy.

10+ Year Old Account
    To keep on topic - Bacon was good when I didn't know any better but now with a wealth of knowledge (i.e.: the internet) at my disposal, any health-conscious person would never eat bacon. Not pig bacon, turkey bacon, or fake bacon. It's all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    And there it is. A vegan diet isn't complete, it's missing a lot of important stuff.
    I'm missing lots of Vitamin D too which is generally taken in from the sun.

So obviously, whether I'm vegan, vegetarian, oco lacto vegetarian, pescetarian, fruitarian, or whatever diet it doesn't make a difference.

I'm still 'missing important nutrients' which can simply be taken in supplement form as I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    nature made you a fleash eater for a reason pal
    Incorrect. If nature made us flesh eaters we would have snapping jaws (like cats dogs etc.) and not teeth for grinding (like horses or primates)
    In the company of thieves, liars, beggars and whores
    I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon View Post
    Incorrect. If nature made us flesh eaters we would have snapping jaws (like cats dogs etc.) and not teeth for grinding (like horses or primates)
    I think his point was that if nature wanted you to be vegan, nature would have made you able to synthesize your own b12. You can't. Bacteria in cow intestines can. So we eat cows (or oysters, or fish, or whatever).

Also, I don't know why you say "any health-conscious would never eat bacon." Reasonable health-conscious people know that moderation is key, not strict limitations. Bacon all the time? Unhealthy. Bacon once or twice a month? Fine.

Edit: And no, I'm not against vegans because this: the bacteria that makes b12 in cows is basically a supplement, so I see no difference.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2013-07-12 at 06:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I think his point was that if nature wanted you to be vegan, nature would have made you able to synthesize your own b12. You can't. Bacteria in cow intestines can. So we eat cows (or oysters, or fish, or whatever).

Also, I don't know why you say "any health-conscious would never eat bacon." Reasonable health-conscious people know that moderation is key, not strict limitations. Bacon all the time? Unhealthy. Bacon once or twice a month? Fine.
    It's completely dependent on the individuals diet... If they have a high fat, high cholesterol diet then no, bacon should never be eaten unless they want to continue creating poor dieting habits.

If you were to even on on a sole nutrient basis for bacon, then even more so, someone would never eat it.

I suppose moderation for the average individual would be ideal. However, in today's modern world of consumerism, I'd wager to say that most people do not practice moderation in any aspect of their lives especially not food.
    In the company of thieves, liars, beggars and whores
    I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come.

Its decent, but I need it with something else to support it.

Great for general things like inn a pie, or whatever^^

Gonna have some bacon for dinner tommorow actually, gonna try do them inn the oven this time, cause last time that was really good ontop off a pizza, instead on the pan, where it can be abit hard to cook it right.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon View Post
    It's completely dependent on the individuals diet... If they have a high fat, high cholesterol diet then no, bacon should never be eaten unless they want to continue creating poor dieting habits.
    Right, that's a good point. My "moderation" point assumed you have an otherwise healthy diet, and occasionally go BACON NOM NOM NOM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Typical Canadian, being polite to your abuser. Stand up punch them in the face and say I am a Vegetarian and the meanest toughest mammals are all vegetarian. Sadly they also taste really good. (p.s. meanest mammals wild pigs, wild bovine, wild goats)
    Chimps are the meanest toughest animals, or a majority of any type of primate non human. They will beat the shit out of you and then eat you sometimes while you're still alive, eviscerating you. That's right not only do Chimps eat meat, they are cannibalistic. so def, vegetarians are not anywhere near the meanest or toughest.

OT: Bacon is delicious! But you know who doesn't like bacon...the 11th Doctor. And that is just heart breaking

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really like bacon but that is because I'm not a fan of red meat in general.

I think bacon's ok, but it is highly overrated.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Deleted
    I think the quality and source of the bacon is important, it's very different from country to country. One thing i've learnt is that bacon from the netherlands is nowhere enar as good as bacon in the UK!

If you need to supplement a diet, then you are not eating correctly. It is very simple. People become a vegetarian by choice. There has always been nuts, berries, veggies and fruit in our diet....BUT we also have always eaten meat. That is how our species developed. Agriculture was an afterthought long after meat was a primary part of our diet. If anything look at wheat...humans did not eat wheat until we started harvesting it through agriculture... we were not built to digest it but can accommodate it. Just look at people that are on a wheat/gluten free diet.

I love real bacon (not ham....or what Canadians call bacon.)....but as with anything.....in moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarG View Post
    I love real bacon (not ham....or what Canadians call bacon.)....but as with anything.....in moderation.
    Canadian bacon isn't bacon the US sense, which is made from pork belly. It also isn't ham, which is another specific part of a pig. It's usually made from pork loin. Very different. Tasty, but absolutely not the same thing as cured and smoked pork belly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Bacon is THE MOST VERSATILE piece of food-stuff..

It's great for breakfast..
    It's great for lunch..
    It's great for dinner..
    It's absolutely brilliant as a snack..
    It works wonders in cakes..
    It's a gastronomical stroke of genious in icecream..
    It can be used for both appetizers, main course and dessert..
    It can be eaten steaming hot and from the fridge..

Name ONE other food-stuff that can fill the role of bacon.... IT SIMPLY DOESN't exists..

I truely feel sorry for muslims and jews, as they cannot eat this wonderous food (no, turkey bacon IS NOT bacon!!!).
    Although I mostly agree, it is not entirely true what you say.

1. Garlic can fulfill every role mentioned.
    2. Many Jews and Muslims Love bacon. (hint I use to be Kosher)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Guys, can we pretty lease keep this on topic to bacon and the restaurant in the OP?

This isn't the place for piling on vegetarians just cos you know a guy who didn't get all his vitamins or whatever.
    The restaurant in question is in the Haight Ashbury district of San Fransisco, which is noted for being the Heart of the North American Hippy Movement during the late 1960's, it is also known as the Heart of the Modern Vegetarian and Vegan movements as well. So technically because of the location of the restaurant the chances are that all the people against it are Vegan is highly likely. So in reality this thread is about the defining difference between the Carnivore human and the Vegetarian Human. Sure most Humans are Omnivores, but many of the people who love bacon such as me, are as close to carnivore as possible. I eat only a small amount of vegetable matter and consume mostly meats with some breads. For me Bacon is Meat seasoning for use with meat.

Here is a bit of history of the neighborhood involved.
    http://www.extranomical.com/HTML_PAG...HT_ASHBURY.htm

And a recent article involving the restaurant.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...016827626.html

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowJester View Post
    Chimps are the meanest toughest animals, or a majority of any type of primate non human. They will beat the shit out of you and then eat you sometimes while you're still alive, eviscerating you. That's right not only do Chimps eat meat, they are cannibalistic. so def, vegetarians are not anywhere near the meanest or toughest.

OT: Bacon is delicious! But you know who doesn't like bacon...the 11th Doctor. And that is just heart breaking
    Actually the meanest animals are territorial Herbivores. Yes Primates such as chimps and humans can and do go to war, hunt and kill each other and even engage in things like cannibalism. the reality is Primates if they have plenty of food and are comfortable they become quite docile, ironically most predators are the same way, once they are content they feel no need to attack others for coming near. Where as large Herbivores even when content will attack any thing that enters their territory. Take a look at bees the Killer bee which is a hybrid of African and European Honey bees are Herbivore nectar drinkers. They will attack and kill any animal that enters range of their hive. Hippos, and wild oxen kill more Humans in Africa a year than carnivores kill humans across the globe. (yes Wild cows kill a ton of people every year).

10+ Year Old Account
    Bacon is good, but is way too overly hyped.