Poll: WHAT IS ED. SNOWDEN?

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Personally, I think it was courageous for what he did because well he will never be coming home again because of it. I think he could have easily voiced his dissatisfaction is a different manner. To anyone that thought our government would not put out the widest net possible to make gain intelligence on any threat to the US, then you do not realize the extent of the threat against us. It is not like this an isolated threat where they can target their intelligence. I agree it is a bit scary and they used to also get info on other countries, but we are living in a different world now with the internet and global communications. Obviously there needs to be a check, but if we check what intelligence they can obtain we need to be okay with the worst case scenarios. It is a difficult decision to balance privacy concerns with security when the stacks are so high on either side; obviously we do not want a police state or another attack like Boston. We as voters have to decide how far the government can go; obviously with the lack of outrage at home (nothing like the protests in Egypt) Americans as a whole seem okay with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    John Oliver from the Daily Show summed it up best for me:

I think you're misunderstanding the perceived problem here, Mr. President: No one is saying that you broke any laws. We're just saying it's a little bit weird that you didn't have to.
    http://theweek.com/article/index/245...hit-on-the-nsa

10+ Year Old Account
    Snowden is naive if he thinks that going public will change anything.
    Fact is: The Government of ANY country out there, DOESN'T GIVE A FLYING INTERCOURSE about the little guy.
    They never have and they never will. Governments are there to abide by corporate interests while maintaining the illusion of choice a.k.a. "Democracy" so the little guy won't act up.

Deleted
    I wouldn't go as far as praising him as a hero, but he did what was right.

Deleted
    At the very least he is brave, but I like to think of him as a freedom fighter.

If he had such huge problems with what was going on, he should have used the system to "blow the whistle" there are tons of politicians that would have taken his side and investigated the various programs in question.

He decided to take a bunch of Classified material to other countries and spout off his mouth to a foreign press service. Interestingly enough, the countries he's applying asylum in have a even worse history of spying and acting against its own civilians I.E. China, Russia...etc etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Snowden is naive if he thinks that going public will change anything.
    Fact is: The Government of ANY country out there, DOESN'T GIVE A FLYING INTERCOURSE about the little guy.
    They never have and they never will. Governments are there to abide by corporate interests while maintaining the illusion of choice a.k.a. "Democracy" so the little guy won't act up.
    Umm.... illusion? Maybe if this was a tyranny I'd believe that.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post

He decided to take a bunch of Classified material to other countries and spout off his mouth to a foreign press service. Interestingly enough, the countries he's applying asylum in have a even worse history of spying and acting against its own civilians I.E. China, Russia...etc etc.
    And we both know why that is. He is living his life like he's back on the Ars Technica forum, arguing a point. Case in point, he calls Russia a "defender of the defenless today", a day after they posthumously convict actual anti-corruption crusader Sergei Magnitsky for tax evasion (just like all of Putin's political enemies). Magnitsky was likely beaten to death in prison.

Edward Snowden is light years beyond self-parody at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    And we both know why that is. He is living his life like he's back on the Ars Technica forum, arguing a point. Case in point, he calls Russia a "defender of the defenless today", a day after they posthumously convict actual anti-corruption crusader Sergei Magnitsky for tax evasion (just like all of Putin's political enemies). Magnitsky was likely beaten to death in prison.

Edward Snowden is light years beyond self-parody at this point.
    The only thing he has accomplished is making himself a HUGE target, not only for foreign intelligence services, but our own operatives as well.

One day he's going to end up with a .38 to the back of his head, or some cyanide in his drink.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 9Royalwolf6 View Post
    He is a hero but the thing is that i prefer less freedom for safety. And without internet control we are not that safe.
    And how do you know your government always has your best interest at heart?

OT, I wouldn't call him a hero, but I do believe he did the right thing, for the most part. I'm not okay with the governments of the world having everyone's info under the pretense of stopping terrorism. As if the most dangerous terrorists would discuss their plans on skype. They might catch the occasional one, but this is way more about keeping tabs on the people. Maybe for well intended purposes right now, but once they have all that info... well, they say power corrupts, and information is power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Umm.... illusion? Maybe if this was a tyranny I'd believe that.
    Yes political choice is an Illusion so our brains accept the programming of the matrix. :P
    BTW: As a German: Seeing how you Americans live it pretty much looks like paranoid tyranny from over here.

Because for the people that pull the strings it's irrelevant whether the republicans or democrats win and it's analog in Germany where parties "CDU" & "SPD" both essentially do what lobbyists wants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Yes political choice is an Illusion so our brains accept the programming of the matrix. :P
    BTW: As a German: Seeing how you Americans live it pretty much looks like paranoid tyranny from over here.

Because for the people that pull the strings it' irrelevant whether the republicans or democrats win and it's analog in Germany where parties "CDU" & "SPD" both essentially do what lobbyists wants.

Look I'm not fond of the spying shit but just cause the government is ok with it doesn't mean the people are.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    The only thing he has accomplished is making himself a HUGE target, not only for foreign intelligence services, but our own operatives as well.

One day he's going to end up with a .38 to the back of his head, or some cyanide in his drink.
    Or an unfortunate Automobile accident.

Those Russian drivers are CRAZY! That's why everyone has dash cams. Except for the one that's going to ram his car into a freezing river.

10+ Year Old Account

Those Russian drivers are CRAZY! That's why everyone has dash cams. Except for the one that's going to ram his car into a freezing river.
    And then we blame James Bond for his death >.>

Warrior-Magi

i prefer less freedom for safety.
    This is a horrible mentality that anyone could have with their priorities. You should NEVER give up freedoms for safety.

...One of the worst things you could say.

you voted option 1: you're a modern and sane being
    you voted option 2: you're a brainwashed american citizen
    you voted option 3: you should start having an own opinion

10+ Year Old Account

The Russians are going to resurrect Ted Kennedy to kill Edward Snowden?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigface View Post
    This is the worst mentality anyone could have with their priorities. You should NEVER give up freedoms for safety.

...One of the worst things you could say.
    If you believe this as fully as you declare, join an Amish community or get paid entirely under the table. That's the only way a portion of your pay isn't put into Social Security, as to offer you long term economic safety in exchange for short term economic freedom (because you have no choice but to pay it).

It's exactly the same thing. So long as Social Security exists, so long as ANY compulsory social safety net exists, you're giving up freedom for safety.

But that's a nuanced argument and human beings don't do nuance well. So let's shoot out quotes from founding fathers and framers and call it an argument. Let's ignore all the terrible ideas they had too (like Hamilton's for a President-For-Life with legislative power, that he argued in the Federalist papers and at the Constitutional Convention at length). Let's ignore the Social Democracy that surrounds us and pretend we never give up any amount of freedom for a little security. Let's be red-white-and-blue blooded, cartoon Patriots!!!!!!!

Because all of it is entirely real.... right?

i prefer less freedom for safety
    that's exactly what the US wants you to believe. it's like the "berlin wall": it was built to protect the people of the DDR from the outside evils. it never was intended to lock up the people living there. at least that's what the authorities told their people...

don't believe everything your government tells you! be a critical thinker!

Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    The Russians are going to resurrect Ted Kennedy to kill Edward Snowden?!
    Sometimes (often times) Putin tries really hard to act like Lex Luthor, so don't put it past him. Metallo-Kennedy will probably have a Kryptonite Heart too. You know... just in case.