Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Content is content, whether you care for it or not. Considering the disparity in quality between the Tier 16 sets and these new Pet Store Helms, it's not unlikely that Blizzard has moved all of their best artists to designing Pet Store-exclusive content indefinitely.
    I highly doubt that, and your comment is another example of people overreacting.

Honestly, I think all of the helmets look like shit.

The helmets of the tiers sets for Siege look much better.

See that? I just proved Art is Subjective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Then that's their cup of tea, but it's not real "development".

Making your character look cool is one of the quests toward level 90. After that, getting the best stat gear you can is what develops your character truly.
    uhh I'm sorry? "real development?" Are you the authority of what players consider "real development?"
    Also, I thought most players don't raid and still don't even raid with LFR?

So... what are you talking about? Seems like you're cornered.

Quote Originally Posted by neanoa View Post
    You're ignorant if you think it'll stop at purely cosmetic stuff. You'll be seeing different sort of buffs to ingame currencies soon enough. Be that honor, conquest, valor, justice, charms - you name it.

I unsubbed today, been playing since early 2006 - and this is where I get off. It's the principle and the lack of integrity on Blizzard's side - not the current content.
    exactly, while I may not like several directions they are headed in specific areas; the raiding is top notch, and content cycles fastest they've ever consistently performed (even if you find the mid tier patches lackluster).

It is also a fallacy that if they make more money, that money goes back into WoW. WoW funds stuff like Titan, Hearthstone, D3, and all of the other various projects, and the company as a whole. Just because they make a few extra bucks on the store, doesn't mean that money is funneled into in-game content for you to enjoy.

While I may not like the helms, it is the prospect that every other company that does this, is a free to play game. It reeks of the levels of greed EA has shown in the past.

If you think they 'need' this to make up for lost subs, then you don't realize the income subs bring. Let's say it is around 3 million EU/US subs, that is more than a billion a year. If you can't budget for fast quality production on a billion a year, including xpacs, patches, bug fixes, customer service, maintenance, etc ... then you have a problem. SWtOR cost what? around 200 million to produce from scratch including a ton of out-of-house voice acting? In sub fees alone they make enough to make 5 SWtORs a YEAR ... and that is with an underestimated real sub number. Now add in charging a premium for xpacs, all the character and guild services, pets and mounts. I think the sparkle pony made 50 million the first 24 hours.

They make enough off of pets and mounts, to create entire new IPs. Think about it. Now think about how that money -is not- funneled back into WoW.

Now think of every time they give you an excuse for something and say limitations, x OR y. Now, different teams, different projects ... but at some point that breaks down, when you involve coders, artists, etc in various projects everywhere. The in game store adds nothing to gameplay, it is purely an easier way to make money ... it is a reason for a company to exist on the public market (you could be private and not be all about greed and max profits, while still making a profit; or be a non-profit organization where all the profit is funneled back into the company in improvements). But once you ignore good will towards the hands that feed you, they will eventually stop nurturing you.

Every turn they make ... is to make profit. When smaller companies offer more, for less ... it becomes an issue. Rift, always had free transfers. They had an amazing content cycle. They did it all with fewer subs, lower income. The went F2P, offer you everything but the new 'souls' (4, 1 each class), and still offer free transfers.

If you begin to just accept it, it becomes the norm. Just like microtransactions, day 1 dlc, intrusive drm, etc. If you don't speak up, you encourage ... when it comes to bad or consumer-insulting business practices. When all you care about is how big in the black you are ... you lose sight of what is truly important, and what makes a company great ... providing excellent product, service, and respect for your customer ... and word of mouth is free, and more valuable than any advert.

Blizzard has every right to do what they are doing; but if you can't understand why some people don't thing it is the 'right' thing to do ... you lack empathy, understanding, and possibly the intelligence to see things outside your tunnel vision. Putting on your blinders doesn't really eliminate the stuff you don't allow yourself to see.

What is essentially happening, imo, is Blizzard is testing the waters of how far they can go on the saying 'have your cake and eat it too'; but that rarely works out positive for the one attempting it (charging real money AH cuts on the RMAH, lol).

Quote Originally Posted by DrSteveBrule View Post
    uhh I'm sorry? "real development?" Are you the authority of what players consider "real development?"
    Also, I thought most players don't raid and still don't even raid with LFR?

So... what are you talking about? Seems like you're cornered.
    No, I'm simply stating my opinion just like you are.

And..cornered into what? 0_o

Most players, according to Blizzard, do LFR. Honestly if they took it out of the game, they'd hemorrage subscribers I think. The casual type of player has become a MASSIVE sect of those who play the game.

I'm sorry but I just fail to see the huge issue with the item shop. It's for cosmetic stuff that, in my opinion, doesn't truly progress your character's strength/power in the slightest.

And they will never, ever sell gear with stats on it. Mark my words.

Because of that, I just can't see the problem with it. I'm sorry but I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSwirl View Post
    This is akin to saying that you pay your cable provider $50 a month for your cable box, and then have pay additional money to actually watch any channels.

Your $15 a month pays for content. Blizzard asking for more money for content on top what you already pay is not acceptable. I think most people who actually are bother by this concept already quit the game some time ago. If the people who are left are not bother by being gouged...well you should be.
    Pretty sure there's lots of addons for cable so that's a terrible analogy. You get the bulk of the 'content' for your subscription price, but if you want the NFL sunday ticket, that's extra.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftech View Post
    No, its not. Its like paying your cable company 50 bucks a month for your cable box and then having a store where you can buy a skin for the cable boxes UI to make it prettier.
    Exactly.

Where's the outcry about car dealers charging more for floor matts or different paint?

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Actually... they are >_> The model is about upgrading how they look. That is sort of the epitome of cosmetic.

And Blizzard won't put them in the store. You'd have to be quite dense to believe they would.
    I bet if I tried, I could go back and find similar quotes from people saying 'Blizzard will never put xmog gear in the store, you'd have to be quite dense to think so' when the sparkle pony was first added. They'll also never add dual spec, the same race to both factions, allow transfers from PvE to PvP, etc. Times change.

Quote Originally Posted by boboistina View Post
    As long as it doesnt give anyone an advantage in either PvE or PvP and is just for vanity stuff, i'm fine with blizzard store.
    While I'm "fine" with it, (in so much as I care very so little one way or the other) I do think they should still make really cool looking mounts and armor for the actual content, too, and not just the REALLY cool models and such for people who pay a little extra.

I'm not saying they're OBLIGATED to, don't twist my words folks! I'm just saying I feel that they should.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daagar View Post
    I am going to laugh when Blizzard puts the promised new character models in the Store. All the Store defenders won't be able to complain, because character models are just cosmetic, right?
    They'll probably buy them. Gamers are the most easily fleeced people on earth. Consider: Millions upon millions of people pay for XBOX Live. And defend it. I've seen people defend that it should cost extra, even.

I bet if I tried, I could go back and find similar quotes from people saying 'Blizzard will never put xmog gear in the store, you'd have to be quite dense to think so' when the sparkle pony was first added. They'll also never add dual spec, the same race to both factions, allow transfers from PvE to PvP, etc. Times change.
    Yeah but even if times change, no successful Free to Play game sells gear with stats on it. We've seen stores pop up more and more over the years in more and more games.

It was only a matter of time until Blizzard had a cosmetic store.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    I highly doubt that, and your comment is another example of people overreacting.

Honestly, I think all of the helmets look like shit.

The helmets of the tiers sets for Siege look much better.

See that? I just proved Art is Subjective.
    Art is subject; the level of quality put into these items, however, is not. The T16 sets has some atrocious texture-work, whereas these helms have tech I didn't even think WoW could handle.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as it doesnt give anyone an advantage in either PvE or PvP and is just for vanity stuff, i'm fine with blizzard store.
    Pretty much this. Heck, even if they sell EXP boosts i don't care really. I enjoy my leveling. I think some people don't seem to understand the concept of vanity items...

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Pretty sure there's lots of addons for cable so that's a terrible analogy. You get the bulk of the 'content' for your subscription price, but if you want the NFL sunday ticket, that's extra.
    Yep. Get a basic Sky package and see how many channels are restricted.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am going to laugh when Blizzard puts the promised new character models in the Store. All the Store defenders won't be able to complain, because character models are just cosmetic, right?
    Don't be silly, Blizzard isn't stupid. Plus, they'd have to make the models retardedly good for me to even CARE if they do make it for sale.

I bet if I tried, I could go back and find similar quotes from people saying 'Blizzard will never put xmog gear in the store, you'd have to be quite dense to think so' when the sparkle pony was first added.
    Okay, enough. You're completely bullshitting now, want to know why?

Transmog was added late Cataclysm. The Astral Steed was added mid-Wrath of the Lich King.

Stop lying please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSwirl View Post
    This is akin to saying that you pay your cable provider $50 a month for your cable box, and then have pay additional money to actually watch any channels.

Your $15 a month pays for content. Blizzard asking for more money for content on top what you already pay is not acceptable. I think most people who actually are bother by this concept already quit the game some time ago. If the people who are left are not bother by being gouged...well you should be.
    Uh... Vanity items aren't content. It's not like you're going to have to buy items to allow you to raid or use RDF...

10+ Year Old Account
    Forget the store bit, I'm more concerned that you don't see player models as cosmetic to be honest.

Times do change. As has the game. The problem is players being unable to adapt to change. This store is most likely getting started now so the eventual transition to F2P is super smooth.
    I doubt they're planning to transition to F2P honestly... maybe it's put in so that there's the OPTION in the far future, but I don't see them doing it lets say... within the next 2-3 years. Hell, if they lose 1 million players a year, they can sustain P2P for... probably 6+ years. An MMO with 1 million+ player is very sustainable on P2P

Every single item in the store is and will always be 100% optional. It's not mandatory, it won't make your dps, tanking or heals any better at end game content. If people want to get upset because they think it's "horrible" Blizzard is selling transmog gear, so be it, but it's no different than any of the stuff in their store.

Here's the thing about people though. They get upset over the the "next hot topic" in this game, but as we all know, give it a little bit of time, it will cool down and everyone will move on to the next thing they don't think is "fair". I don't mean to be rude in any way, but that is what happens.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly. It's just sad and lame to see some nice mounts getting ruined as they just give them away. I'd rather have them as a low drop rate or a looong grind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, I'm not saying it will happen right away. I just mean they are laying the groundwork basically. Have people get used to it and get it integrated into the game so it's easier to flip the game over to F2P when the time comes.
    Yeah, maybe. But a vanity item store is something I've been ok with forever. Quite a few games do it F2P or P2P. I think people should be overjoyed because it caters to the "special snowflakes" who have been complaining nonstop that they can't look different from others since all the gear is "easy to acquire"... Guess you can't satisfy them...

Forget the store bit, I'm more concerned that you don't see player models as cosmetic to be honest.
    Hmm... you misread what I posted, or I didn't explain clearly. I absolutely see players models as cosmetic. I also see them as highly desired by a large segment of the playerbase. I also foresee a HUGE outcry if they were to end up putting the new models in the store rather than a part of a patch/expansion, and those that defend the store today as "well, it is only cosmetic" having a harder time defending the decision.

As for Durando - yes, the timeline doesn't match up. That wasn't the point of the comment - the point was that it is silly to call someone 'dense' saying Blizzard won't do something when we've seen many times that they will go back on _their own_ words.
    Last edited by Daagar; 2013-07-13 at 07:11 PM.