Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I agree with most of what you said, but this is very wrong. Blizzard makes more money than it could ever spend creating content for WoW.

You need to realize that WoW generates unfathomable profit, a very small part of which goes to the WoW budget. You need to realize that almost all of the money that WoW generates funds an enormous corporation that has little to do with the game itself.
    Should be ending soon since Vivendi wants to give Blizzard the 61% share they have. The only issue is that they are taking with them 5billion$ and Blizzard will still owe them another 400million $ AFTER that...

Rough estimates were putting Asian realms at ~3mil players in 2011 but let's say it's only 1mil and Western wow has 7.6mil active subs:
    That would mean 114000000/month or 74100000/month after taxes. Best case scenario and with spending 0 money it would take blizzard what? 5-6months to be on 0... let's say close to 1 year or 1 and a half years in real world before they will start actually earning money back.

Deleted
    Well we play WoW to have fun, which means hunting fun items or mounts for most, as you all know the raid playerbase is like 500k ppl out of LFR (If that) so the rest 8 million or so ppl do what? Do LFR and hunt old items/new ones from CM mode gear/old raids and hunt down cool looking mounts. Now if half of the next mounts/gear introduced are Ca$h $hop items then that means you ruined the ppl's fun in the game by 50%. Many may use the store now but do you really think everyone will buy every little thing? There is a limit to how much one will spend. Finally there is one more thing made from that, less quality content in game because... why would you buy something ugly when you can get pretty stuff in game, I'm pretty sure it will be the other way around with ugly/reharshed stuff in game and unique cool looking mounts in store. We can already see the trend with t16/s14.

Most sets are ugly (of course pvp never had really that many nice sets anyway) but t16 is seriously horrible, nearly no class tier resembles what they really are, Paladin tier for example looks like a walking furnace lol... there are like 4-5 tier sets/season sets that are decent out of 22. And please don't start the "good looks is subjective" crap. Most ppl have been negative about them, both ppl in forums and all ppl I know in game. Just because we don't bow our heads and just say "Oh look so cool looking!" and critisize the armor sets for a game we love to play doesn't mean we have a bad taste or that we hate blizzard.

Also if you ask me why I haven't quit this game, I'm sorry but I've already did, I just feel the need to contribute to the discussions for a game that keeps getting more and more rotten... and here I thought that MoP was brilliant but then blizzard ruined it with their new sparkling cash shop...

edit - I bet corrupted ashbringer/transmogging legendaries will be a store feature! Don't be surprised if it happens! :O
    Last edited by mmoc2a7830ed1a; 2013-07-14 at 09:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eager to say, but if the latter was adding those items to old raid bosses with 1%, I think it would've worked differently.
    Not by using store.

P.S.: I DC about store, I won't buy anything from there because I don't want to.
    I play the game not for some horns out of my char's head, and as for transmogs, It's better to use BC style items instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If something is bothering you and you are completely free to leave at any point but you choose to stay... it's not really bothering you now is it? It would be a bad business move not to get as much profit as you can out of your business wouldn't it?
    Same thing as with Apple iPhones, they get away with selling basically grossly overpriced paper weights but people buy them and enjoy them. Why can't people enjoy what they want even if they are milked like there's no tomorrow? Doesn't affect YOU now does it?
    Where did i say i mind it? I say good luck to them. They will make plenty from this new store. It does kinda effect every player tho. When they got the janitor to design the new tier sets and moved proper art assets onto making stuff you have to buy it effects the entire player base.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenia View Post
    Well we play WoW to have fun, which means hunting fun items or mounts for most, as you all know the raid playerbase is like 500k ppl out of LFR (If that) so the rest 8 million or so ppl do what? Do LFR and hunt old items/new ones from CM mode gear/old raids and hunt down cool looking mounts. Now if half of the next mounts/gear introduced are Ca$h $hop items then that means you ruined the ppl's fun in the game by 50%. Many may use the store now but do you really think everyone will buy every little thing? There is a limit to how much one will spend.
    I'm not tremendously sure what you think you're getting at here, but... "raiding and PvP" are not the only ways to acquire mounts and gear. Save for a very scant few, they haven't removed any of the old mounts or old item sets "befitting" of effort doable by players that aren't at max level.

Finally there is one more thing made from that, less quality content in game because... why would you buy something ugly when you can get pretty stuff in game, I'm pretty sure it will be the other way around with ugly/reharshed stuff in game and unique cool looking mounts in store. We can already see the trend with t16/s14.
    I've no major complaints with the new PvP tier. Some of the sets look fantastic. And how exactly do three freakin' helms placate a supposedly "all around horrible" tier? Are you going to wear that helm in every item slot?

Most sets are ugly (of course pvp never had really that many nice sets anyway) but t16 is seriously horrible, nearly no class tier resembles what they really are, Paladin tier for example looks like a walking furnace lol... there are like 4-5 tier sets/season sets that are decent out of 22. And please don't start the "good looks is subjective" crap. Most ppl have been negative about them, both ppl in forums and all ppl I know in game.

Just because we don't bow our heads and just say "Oh look so cool looking!" and critisize the armor sets for a game we love to play doesn't mean we have a bad taste or that we hate blizzard.
    Accusing them of "greed and badness" because of one tier that doesn't look that great is the baseless point that needs crushing. There have been bad tiers throughout WoW's history.

Also if you ask me why I haven't quit this game, I'm sorry but I've already did, I just feel the need to contribute to the discussions for a game that keeps getting more and more rotten... and here I thought that MoP was brilliant but then blizzard ruined it with their new sparkling cash shop...
    New? What in the hell are you talking about? They've been pumping out for-cash items since Burning Crusade.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Where did i say i mind it? I say good luck to them. They will make plenty from this new store. It does kinda effect every player tho. When they got the janitor to design the new tier sets and moved proper art assets onto making stuff you have to buy it effects the entire player base.
    According to whom? The PvP sets look fine. The new SoO mounts look fine. Hell, the new engineering mount is probably the single most amazing mount I've seen in-game.

You're also forgetting that these helms were datamined back before 5.2 had even been released. Is throne of thunder now suddenly "lacking in artistic splendor" because of this revelation?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myzou View Post
    I've already cancelled my account.

Pretty simple really. Once they see how many people are leaving over this, I severely doubt those things will stick around.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. The unabashed solipsism of the players furious about cosmetic items in the Blizzard Store is simultaneously hilarious and startling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Yay, another new and totally original thread about the Blizzard store. We totally haven't seen 20+ new topics about this today or anything.

Also, you don't work at Blizz, ergo you don't know what those resources were for. Just because the models were datamined and the person who did it assumed as much doesn't make it fact.

So the next time you decide to make a topic, don't state conjecture as fact. Thank you.

P.S. Its Blizzard's game and well within their right to sell whatever they damn well please there. It takes a special kind of idiot to think otherwise.
    And you think this thread is original? It basically says "shut up peasants!" My thread was entirely different.

You know what the consensus was on the helmets, or would you have me believe you and others made transmog-helm threads before this announcement? News this summer and before were about legendary items we were going to get, in case you have been asleep?

Neither op in this particular thread nor you would ever work at public relations since you don't understand basic economics, it's all about maintaining a good public image regardless or not whether you feel you have to explain something or not. To be stubborn is to childishly put up a wall against customers. Considering this is the biggest uproar in a long time, and Blizz has lost tons of subs, yeah I think this case really really merits some explaination.

Oh, and reported for language.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I'm not tremendously sure what you think you're getting at here, but... "raiding and PvP" are not the only ways to acquire mounts and gear. Save for a very scant few, they haven't removed any of the old mounts or old item sets "befitting" of effort doable by players that aren't at max level.

I've no major complaints with the new PvP tier. Some of the sets look fantastic. And how exactly do three freakin' helms placate a supposedly "all around horrible" tier? Are you going to wear that helm in every item slot?

Accusing them of "greed and badness" because of one tier that doesn't look that great is the baseless point that needs crushing. There have been bad tiers throughout WoW's history.

New? What in the hell are you talking about? They've been pumping out for-cash items since Burning Crusade.
    First of all, just because there are other ways in the game to get cool looking mounts that doesn't mean they won't give ugly ones there too in order to promote their cash shop mounts.

About the helm... you aren't as naive as to think that this will be the only piece of transmog gear they will sell? Tbh I like only one out of these 3 helms (the ice one).
    They will create a lot of awesome looking sets in the future for the cash shop.

There might have been bad tiers through the wow history but there is a "reason" to make them look ugly now as they can promote their store stuff as looks are something that doesn't offer any advantage (so same way the mounts do).

I mean new in a different way. This is a new "ingame store" in case you haven't read, go back to the starting page and do it. I was fine with 1-2 mounts every expansion before that BUT good looking gear, more mounts, maybe more pets and cool looking vanity items (like the iron warhorse hitching post which I was really looking forward to) will be added to it essentially halving the amount of cool things that could be in the game. If you deny this then you defend blindly Blizzard. Sorry :| but it's the truth. You can't deny they are trying to rip us off. It's the only game that will offer lots of cool stuff/boosts through a cash shop ON TOP of a subscription AND no reward for the subscribers (like cartel coins/loyalty Swtor/Rift give respectively AND THEY ARE F2P WITH RESTRICTIONS ONLY). Now WoW follows all the negatives they did without any positives... how is that not selfish?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post
    And you think this thread is original? It basically says "shut up peasants!" My thread was entirely different.

You know what the consensus was on the helmets, or would you have me believe you and others made transmog-helm threads before this announcement? News this summer and before were about legendary items we were going to get, in case you have been asleep?

Neither op in this particular thread nor you would ever work at public relations since you don't understand basic economics, it's all about maintaining a good public image regardless or not whether you feel you have to explain something or not. To be stubborn is to childishly put up a wall against customers. Considering this is the biggest uproar in a long time, and Blizz has lost tons of subs, yeah I think this case really really merits some explaination.

Oh, and reported for language.
    Blizzard gets an uproar about EVERYTHING they do.

They got an uproar about the sparklepony. Nothing happened.

They got an uproar about the Guardian cub supposedly crashing the WoW economy. Nothing happened.

They got an uproar about people being able to "pay to win" pet battles, because OBVIOUSLY the Blizz store pets would be the best, right? Yeeeahh... Nothing happened.

And now they're getting an uproar about some freakin' transmog helms. What do you want to guess is going to happen? My money is on... nothing.

Blizzard's sub problems aren't related to a freakin' cash shop in which they can sell cosmetic fluff, as I'd wager a very large portion of the audience playing this game doesn't actually care about such things.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-07-14 at 10:14 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    At the heart of this debate lies the rather annoying assumption on the part of some people that because they pay their subscription fee every month, they get to dictate to Blizzard how they should budget and allocate their resources. It's really like every other thing you pay a subscription for: If you subscribe to a magazine or a pay web site like the New York Times, you don't get to tell the editors which articles to write. And if they produce ancillary works like books you don't get them for free either.

Anyone can pretend that because they're a paying customer they are like little mini-CEO's but they aren't now and never have been. The pretense that people imagine they are is amusing but purely fantasy.
    For me personally it has very little to do with these particular items they are putting onto the store and more to do with concerns on where this will lead down the line. Seems a lot of people are okay with these items going up for sale, I'm not overly fuzzed either, but at what point do they reroute resources that was meant to go into the game into items for the store? Mounts, Pets, Transmog gear now, what is next?

Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    Should be ending soon since Vivendi wants to give Blizzard the 61% share they have. The only issue is that they are taking with them 5billion$ and Blizzard will still owe them another 400million $ AFTER that...
    That's not entirely true. First of all it concerns Activision Blizzard not just Blizzard, secondly what its about is the fact Vivendi are in need of money and are supposedly considering siphoning money out of Activision. As of yet they haven't done anything so remains to be seen what will happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenia View Post
    First of all, just because there are other ways in the game to get cool looking mounts that doesn't mean they won't give ugly ones there too in order to promote their cash shop mounts.
    Luckily, it isn't an "either-or" decision. And they've been releasing plenty of new, cool, obtainable-in-game, mounts with each patch as well.

About the helm... you aren't as naive as to think that this will be the only piece of transmog gear they will sell? Tbh I like only one out of these 3 helms (the ice one).
    They will create a lot of awesome looking sets in the future for the cash shop.
    Seeing as it took them about two and a half patches to actually get these into the game from the point at which they were actually datamined... I don't think it'll be a huge problem.

There might have been bad tiers through the wow history but there is a "reason" to make them look ugly now as they can promote their store stuff as looks are something that doesn't offer any advantage (so same way the mounts do).
    Did they stop making cool mounts after they started selling mounts on the pet store?

I mean new in a different way. This is a new "ingame store" in case you haven't read, go back to the starting page and do it. I was fine with 1-2 mounts every expansion before that BUT good looking gear, more mounts, maybe more pets and cool looking vanity items (like the iron warhorse hitching post which I was really looking forward to) will be added to it essentially halving the amount of cool things that could be in the game.
    The things wouldn't have been made... AT ALL. They weren't created to just sit in the game files until someone thought up a use for them. In fact, these things are probably developed very, very slowly, as they don't have to be released on any sort of schedule. Unlike things like tier gear, tier mounts, and things that come out with each new patch.

If you deny this then you defend blindly Blizzard. Sorry :| but it's the truth. You can't deny they are trying to rip us off.
    Then they aren't doing a very good job, because they aren't getting a cent from me for any of these new items.

It's the only game that will offer lots of cool stuff/boosts through a cash shop ON TOP of a subscription AND no reward for the subscribers (like cartel coins/loyalty Swtor/Rift give respectively AND THEY ARE F2P WITH RESTRICTIONS ONLY). Now WoW follows all the negatives they did without any positives... how is that not selfish?
    Because you don't have to buy any of this shit? It hasn't affected the availability of anything in game to ANY degree to which you can actually prove beyond "well I think this tier looks kind of bad," and doesn't enable anyone else to jump ahead of you or take your role in progression or PvP.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Blizzard gets an uproar about EVERYTHING they do.

They got an uproar about the sparklepony. Nothing happened.
    Except that its irrelevant whether its an uproar or not, public relations is to explain everything. I wonder the age and or professions of the people who are sooo against Blizzard acting like companies do, by explaining their products. Do you care to explain how it would hurt you in any way for Blizzard to explain their move? Which they will eventualy in some way, but considering loss of tons of subs n this being an uproar, it makes sense to say something, now.

Sparklepony didn't effect gameplay, charms effect gameplay in that someone has to farm charms and someone else can get them instantly from shop. That is a huge difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post
    Except that its irrelevant whether its an uproar or not, public relations is to explain everything. I wonder the age and or professions of the people who are sooo against Blizzard acting like companies do, by explaining their products. Do you care to explain how it would hurt you in any way for Blizzard to explain their move? Which they will eventualy in some way, but considering loss of tons of subs n this being an uproar, it makes sense to say something, now.
    Sure, Blizzard should explain what they do.

But to expect people to settle for ANY explanation is something that's not likely to happen. People have already committed to hating the helms for nonexistent reasons (just like they committed to hating all those other items,) and giving a existent explanation is not going to sway them from hating something they're already so gosh darn committed to hating.

Sparklepony didn't effect gameplay, charms effect gameplay in that someone has to farm charms and someone else can get them instantly from shop. That is a huge difference.
    Selling the charms sounds stupid to me for a few reasons... one, charms aren't hard to obtain... you can thank tryhard whiners for complaining about them anyway... ("Oh, pet battles are too hard and dailies take too long! But we want this completely optional bonus anyway!") and two, you'd just have to keep buying them anyway... And they don't even guarantee you anything.

That represents a trend I'm far more worried about... Blizzard caving to people that think anything you CAN do is something you HAVE to do, and if they can't do it following the path of least resistance, they have to incessantly whine until it's handed to them via one... If someone is willing to put in more effort than you, you're DAMN RIGHT they deserve a shot at better rewards. This goes for daily reps, charms, LFR to fill in slots... If they're taking the initiative to put in more effort, than they should be rewarded for the extra effort they put in.

Hell, that's something I'd say is ACTUALLY leading to sub losses. Not this whole "OMG they're selling helmets" bullcrap.

But I digress...
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-07-14 at 10:36 AM.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    For me this is the end of the road. Blizzard is doing well with the game. Have millions of players. Ask for monthly subscription. On top of this also the main source of income what is meant for Free To Play. And the power to release content in parts. (Throne of Thunder wings one every 2 or 3 weeks). The game is to much controlled by its creators. Moving along to see what other MMO's are coming out. Never the less. World of warcraft if still a hell of a game if you can see through these things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    The only invalid nonsense is the people who try to aggresively enforce their "I don't care"-point of view unto other customers who don't agree with the extent to which the item store is being taken NOW -and- the extent to which it might be taken in the future.
    "might be taken in the future, but hasn't shown any sign of it in the nearly 5 years that it's been working"

So it goes from being a reasonable "might" to a irrational "might"

I'll cut off most of your wall of text because it boils down to:

"people like nice things not just tier gear and people shouldn't have to pay for these nice things"

Which I kind of agree with, mogs and stuff are pretty popular, but what makes you think people are entitled to things because they like it?

Just because you want something doesn't mean you get to have it..

You orignally said something about these being quest rewards, well what if they were and you could only get them via heroic achievements? Most of the people here (me included) would never see them.

I'd argue adding it to the shop actually makes it more available to people than if they added it to the game as something like the old style legendaries.

To pick on your last few bits though:

A. Recent tier- and geardesign being really subpar. The potential risk that only item-shop gear will get the quality and design people want.
    Subjective, there's always complaining when new tiers are released and how people don't like how it looks.

B. The potential of the itemshop being taken even further, the risk of it eventually selling other items (of higher quality) which previously were achievable by playing the game.
    Claiming to know the future...

C. The fact that it's extremely unconventional for subscription based MMOs to use itemshops, something F2P games usually get criticized for.
    unconventional = bad now? and F2P games are criticized for pay to win, where the "free" items you get are worse than the "paid" items you buy so if you never spend a penny you can't compete....this isn't that at all.

D. The potential risk that this are steps towards WoW being made F2P. There is plenty of people who have expressed their dislike for the game going F2P, but they apparently are too dense to connect the dots and see when steps are being made towards that direction.
    Leap of faith....the first pet didn't make the game free to play, neither did the first mount and neither will the first head mogs.

They're extras designed for people who buy things and there has to be enough of them or they wouldn't make them in the first place.

You make 1 good point, people like how things look it's why people go back to old content to get just the right look or mount.....years after they were released, so if these items (like trasmog gear now) became available years later for minimum effort you'd be OK with them being in the shop now?

Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    The Blizzard store is not a slippery slope, it is a smart business move to bring in more money for the company. The more resources Blizzard has, the more content they can develop and the better off we are as players.
    The item store implementation has nothing to do with getting funding for higher quality content. A company can make money but dont try to make up reasons on how Blizzard is doing this for the greater good. They like money and at the moment there are a lot of people who are willing to give it to them for cosmetic items.
    Pretend this is a amazing sig with my character holding an legendary.

Deleted
    Charms are hard to obtain, it requires patience, the act of farming is not hard, it's the patience that wears off when you do it on your main and then you have to do it on ur shaman, ur hunter, ur monk, ur dr00d, ur mage, ur warlock, etc. we are talking about hundreds of charms each week. Not just 50...

My idea was on my thread, before it got closed down, that it should work like weekly valor cap today, after 1000 valor you get a buff that earns xtra valorz on other chars, so they could just do the same thing for those goddamn charms and don't have to sell them through store. Buff->Store. Well, if u have 2 other chars, but if you have many more like me, then store-charms would make sense but my point was that it should be with a condition, you could only use charms-potion-thingie if you had capped charms for the week and gotten a weekly buff from it. It won't effect gameplay against others since you have already done it normally farm on ur main n now fill out on ur alts. But to go from zero to cap on ur main by buying charms-potion-thingy with no condiditions in place whatsoever while others who have less irl monies have to FARM for charms, that directly effects gameplay, and is unfairz.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballfro View Post
    Why are you so hell bent on a company, one in which I like very much, make a profit off of me? If im going to spend my money I feel much better about spending it on a company in which I enjoy their products. Anyone else feel like telling me im evil for giving them my money.... MY money?
    They are already making a profit. They can do it without destroying the game and turning it into a giant money sink like other P2W games. This was not the WoW I started playing 8 years ago.

The game industry needs to stop with this DLC, micro transaction BS. When I pay, I pay once and that's it. It's like half way through a movie the usher comes bugging you for cash.

As long as Blizzard still provide awesome look tier sets and mounts available ingame without me having to pay addtional money, I don't see a problem with selling cosmetic items in their store.

Oh wait...

Deleted
    I'm ok with the store, at least until they start making it "Pay to win" - aka, you can buy the best equipment and abilities with your own money. Hopefully that'll never happen! For now, though, I'm completely fine with the vanity items.