avoiding burnout

I've played WoW for 5 to 6 years on and off, with maybe a total of a year of combined unsubbed time throughout. i was always a diehard pvp'er and didn't dabble in pve too too much up until MoP. when MoP came out i decided to get into PvE more and i'm currently doing 10m raiding 3 times a week, while pvp'ing on the side occasionally. i have 7 90s, 5 of which are in full tyrannical, and 2 that i PvE with (sig, and a 525 lock i stopped playing from boredom)

i recently started getting REALLY burnt out from the game, and decided to open up guild wars 2 which i bought at release and maybe played 3 hours. i got to max level, and already i already see myself not wanting to invest the time into the game.

i find myself doing dailies occasionally, and old content every now and then for transmog (really only BT now, as i have pretty much what i want) and for mounts. other than that, i log in to raid and that's about it

i was just wondering what you guys do to keep the game interesting for you, or ways that someone who is growing apart from the game can inject some excitement back into it

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't play so much. Only log on when you feel like doing something. Trying to get everything done on all those characters all the time is why you're burnt out now.

I have six 90s but only two are full tyrannical, one of those I pretty much stopped playing after I got the gear, the other one I do RBGs a few times a week with my guild for a rating push. A third 90 on a different server was made for achievement and rare hunting and I do LFR on her each week. That's about it, the other 90s don't even get played right now.

I'm leveling a new alt just for fun because it's something I've never leveled before. I enjoy pet battles, etc. Just mix it up and you won't get as bored!

If you truly have grown apart from it, maybe it's time to move on.

Step 1 - only play what you want. If you don't want to do dailies - don't. If you don't want to do LFR - the don't. Things like that.
    Step 2 - only play when you want. If you don't want to raid at a certain time - don't. Things like that.

Take some time to think about what you really want to do. Not what the average person thinks they "need to do".

If you still find yourself getting bored, then maybe it's time for a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    Don't play so much. Only log on when you feel like doing something. Trying to get everything done on all those characters all the time is why you're burnt out now.
    well i don't do all those things on all my toons anymore, i should have clarified. i rarely log in on 6/7 of my toons anymore. the only toon i'm playing now is my hunter, and i do dailies for the 50 coins (one day of the week usually) and transmog runs only on him. i've slowly one by one lost the desire to play the toons, and i'm reaching that point on my hunter as well. when i switched from my lock to my hunter to pve things were great, but now with gearing and progression slowing down its really lost its appeal

I have been playing only about 3 Years, So I find lots of things to do in WoW thats not the current Expansion/Patch Progression.
    Such as soloing old Dungeon/Raids for Achievements or Transmog gear, Grinding mats or Shards for Legendary Weapons, Grinding old Dailies to Exalted, Collecting Mounts/Pets.
    Most time Im spending at the moment is level my alts to max Level then hitting the old Raids for Xmog

But thats all PvE stuff. PvPers can burn out of things to do faster than PvErs...since its only the same sort of thing over and over again...Bgs, Duels and Arenas. My Mate is a hardcore Pvper, does nothing other than that. He burns out of that fast and quits WoW often after hes fully geared.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cashzilla View Post
    well i don't do all those things on all my toons anymore, i should have clarified. i rarely log in on 6/7 of my toons anymore. the only toon i'm playing now is my hunter, and i do dailies for the 50 coins (one day of the week usually) and transmog runs only on him. i've slowly one by one lost the desire to play the toons, and i'm reaching that point on my hunter as well. when i switched from my lock to my hunter to pve things were great, but now with gearing and progression slowing down its really lost its appeal
    It happens to all of us, I think. I've reached that point many times before, sometimes there are just lulls when you don't want to play as much and would rather just do something else. It's perfectly okay to go play another game, there's tons of F2P games right now you could easily pick up and check out and come back to WoW if you feel like it. Or pick up a hobby outside gaming.

For some people it helps to only play that one character...if you have only done PvE on him, get him PvP gear...or try out pet battling, achievement hunting, rare hunting.

You're also on my server so feel free to message me some time if you're looking to meet new people (characters are in my signature links). I know, especially if you read trade chat sometimes the server community can seem like a cesspool but not everyone is bad. :P

I've played intermittently ever since Vanilla WoW; I'd play for 4 months then quit for 4 months, and so on. But it was during WotLK that I got really burned out for some reason. I guess I did too much PvE for the first time in my life, I've always been a PvPer; I started raiding like mad, trying to get achievements, running heroics. I stopped playing before Cataclysm came out and I had never any desire to touch the game from that moment on.

Right now im kinda considering buying MoP and resubbing for 1 month.

So yeah, my advice would be go easy with the PvE! It's boring and addicting at the same time. PvP always kept the game fresh for me.
    Eredar lord of the trifling Gnome.

Deleted
    Like others have said, just do what you want to be doing, which is how I play.

I usually end up going through phases for a week or two, and then doing something else. Sometimes I'll level an alt for a while, but i often get bored of that quickly, and sometimes i do old dailies on my main to build up reps i dont have, then a couple weeks later ill switch to one of my cap alts and spend a week just getting them geared.

Right now im spending most of my time just running all my 90s through old dungeons/raids for a chance at the rare mount drops

Really Just find what you want from WoW (Any certain Gear, Achievements, Mounts/Pets, Weapons etc) and plan to work on that. Make a Goal if you find yourself bored, or burned out from your normal WoW activities.

Deleted
    Spilt your time between several games, i have always had one "main game" that i play and then filler games, for example :

DoW Main - CoD 4, WoW, Fifa filler

WoW Main - CoD 4, Fifa Filler

TF2 Main - WoW, Civ 4, Fifa filler

Dota 2 main, Civ 5, fifa, WoW, SC2 Filler

The "main game" cycle normally last me about 2 years with several different filler games.

Google the term "burnout". Whatever you read about it, it will basically tell you two things:

a) Stop yourself/others from forcing you to do things
    b) Take a break

It applies to all kinds of burnouts in life.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only sign on to raid a few nights a week, other than that I'm not online.
    In the company of thieves, liars, beggars and whores
    I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come.

If the game stops being interesting, stop playing it.
    If you continue playing despite the fact that you find it uninteresting, I think you may have a habit...

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    If the game stops being interesting, stop playing it.
    If you continue playing despite the fact that you find it uninteresting, I think you may have a habit...
    did you even read my post?

i haven't been online since wednesday. it's not a matter of me sitting in front of my computer with WoW open staring into nothing and being uninterested. it's a game i've enjoyed for MANY years, and it's something that i've invested a lot of time into and it has value to me. it's like a dying relationship in which you try what you can to make it work. same thought process, just trying to find suggestions to light a spark
    Last edited by cashzilla; 2013-07-15 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cashzilla View Post
    did you even read my post?

i haven't been online since wednesday. it's not a matter of me sitting in front of my computer with WoW open staring into nothing and being uninterested. it's a game i've enjoyed for MANY years, and it's something that i've invested a lot of time into and it has value to me. it's like a dying relationship in which you try what you can to make it work. same thought process, just trying to find suggestions to light a spark
    I did read your post, and I am of the opinion that it's the wrong way to go about it. If you cannot find that enjoyment any more, then stop doing it.

Deleted
    Ive been playing for 3 years now and i havent got burnt out,i have always enjoyed the game and always found something to do , and with flexi raiding coming in next patch, i dont think im gonna be unsubbing anytime soon