10+ Year Old Account

Healer selection for ToT HC

Here I am, asking a bloody stupid question, but with a large roster 10-man guild knowing the best choices could yield better results.

Which of the healer combination, of which have to choose from, is best for the bosses listed below? Our initial plan is to 3 heal most of the listed bosses, but we could drop down to 2, if we lack the DPS.

The choice of healers
    • 3 resto druids
    • 1 resto shaman
    • 1 mw monk

Our general progression group roster:

• prot pala
    • guardian druid
    • hunter
    • shadowpriest
    • retri pala
    • warlock
    • ench. shaman
      • Lower geared DPS
        • arcane mage
        • ele shaman
        • arms warrior
    So for which healer combination would be best for (I know that you can have any combination and w/ bit practice make it work, but sometimes one wishes a simple solution )?

• Tortos
    • IQ
    • Prim
    • Meg
    • Council
    • Durumu
    • Twins
    • DA
    • Lei Shen
    I know that having a dpriest or hpala, would make things times easier, but there are none around when you need some.
    Last edited by Sonnillon; 2013-07-17 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Added some comas to make text more readable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnillon View Post
    Here I am, asking a bloody stupid question, but with a large roster 10-man guild knowing the best choices could yield better results.

Which of the healer combination of which have to choose from best for the bosses listed below? Our initial plan is to 3 heal most of the listed bosses, but we could drop down to 2, if we lack the DPS.

The choice of healers
    • 3 resto druids
    • 1 resto shaman
    • 1 mw monk

• prot pala
    • guardian druid
    • hunter
    • shadowpriest
    • retri pala
    • warlock
    • ench. shaman
      • Lower geared DPS
        • arcane mage
        • ele shaman
        • arms warrior
    So for which healer combination would be best for (I know that you can have any combination and w/ bit practice make it work, but sometimes one wishes a simple solution )?

• Tortos
    • IQ
    • Prim
    • Meg
    • Council
    • Durumu
    • Twins
    • DA
    • Lei Shen
    I know that having a dpriest or hpala, would make things times easier, but there are none around when you need some.
    Disc priests are really, really good... You should get one, even tho you said you don't have one

For all 2 heal fights:
    MW+Rdruid
    For all 3 heal MW+Rdruid+Shaman.

Thats what I would say, but we used Holy Pala+Disc/Resto druid for all fights.

Disc/MW/pally

Both disc and MW together can easily pump the same damage a DPS does, and when damage come... well, you have 3 healers. So you get 1 tank, 3 heals and 7 DPS in just 10 players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks Fyolo, but why you say mw+druid for 2 heal fight and not 2 druids? Or does mw offer more and better utility or just some variation to things?

Quote Originally Posted by Inthislzon View Post
    Disc/MW/pally
    Yes, yes mate. But as I said, we don't have nor will have a chance probably to get pala/disc.
    So we have a selection listed above.
    The choice of healers
    3 resto druids
    1 resto shaman
    1 mw monk
    Out which of what we have is the best combo for certain bosses...?
    Last edited by Sonnillon; 2013-07-17 at 01:30 PM.

Which of the healer combination, of which have to choose from, is best for the bosses listed below? Our initial plan is to 3 heal most of the listed bosses, but we could drop down to 2, if we lack the DPS.

The choice of healers
    • 3 resto druids
    • 1 resto shaman
    • 1 mw monk

• prot pala
    • guardian druid
    • hunter
    • shadowpriest
    • retri pala
    • warlock
    • ench. shaman
      • Lower geared DPS
        • arcane mage
        • ele shaman
        • arms warrior

• Tortos
    • IQ
    • Prim
    • Meg
    • Council
    • Durumu
    • Twins
    • DA
    • Lei Shen
    The general idea behind choosing healer comp is combining CDs that actually heal (also combining direct, hot, absorb would be very nice) and that reduces damage (x% damage reduced by certain ability, sometimes coming from your tanks or dps). If the incoming damage excesses the overall raw hps of your group (something that is quite common for heroic progression), the only way you can survive is to use damage reduction CDs.
    Since I did not play any healer class in this expansion, I cannot provide you details on that. Our 10man Heroic focused group (13/13 now) has disc (with shadow off-sepc), mw monk, and a restro shaman. MW monk has many niches and raid CD and good at both "dps while healing" and "moving while healing". Restro shaman has a lot of short but effective healing CDs that saved many of us.
    Last edited by frostmeteor; 2013-07-17 at 02:24 PM.

Thanks Fyolo, but why you say mw+druid for 2 heal fight and not 2 druids? Or does mw offer more and better utility or just some variation to things?
    If the player knows the class mistweavers are extremely strong healers. On top of that mistweavers are treated as melee by boss mechanics so they do not need to deal with being targeted by range only mechanics such as lightning orbs, frostbite, spears.

Also, speaking from experience, unless your shaman wants to reforge all out of mastery into crit for that one specific fight they are going to be the worst healer choice for heroic Tortos because of those crystal shields.

Megaera you will likely want to three heal and be sure the shaman is in there because healing rain is huge there. Otherwise the other fights can be either 2 or 3 healed based on strength of your healers but I would strongly advise some healer diversity. You can probably get away with double druid in a 3 healer setup but a 2 healer setup you should have two different classes so they can compliment each other with their strengths.
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 2013-07-17 at 02:06 PM.

Deleted
    I'd tell your Spriest to reroll Disc :P.

Problem with your healers is that only the shaman is "good" at tank healing yet his raid healing will suck if people don't stack up.

Anyhow, assuming all your healers are "equal" in skill I'd go with Shaman (tank healing) + MW Monk (raid healing) for 2 healer fights and add a druid for the 3 healer fights.

Number of healers:
    Tortos: 2
    IQ: 3 (can be 2 healed if your DPS is good)
    Prim: 3
    Meg: 3
    Council: 2
    Durumu: 2
    Twins: 3 (can be 2-healed, we just did 3 cuz we had our monk healer run celestials, our dps was good and having a 3rd healer for inferno was a good failsafe)
    DA: 3 (normal strat)
    Lei Shen: ?? not there yet

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    If the player knows the class mistweavers are extremely strong healers. On top of that mistweavers are treated as melee by boss mechanics so they do not need to deal with being targeted by range only mechanics such as lightning orbs, frostbite, spears.
    MW raid cooldown can be really powerful, plus they don't get targeted by boss mechanics (that only target range) and they have extreme mobility and a pretty good single-target cooldown (green absorb blob thing) plus they can take dish out a lot of DPS if needed. On our HC Garalon kill back then we only managed to get it due to the extra DPS our MW and Disc managed to add to the fight (think they did about 25~30M damage between the two of them).

Deleted
    Disc(if not druid)/MW + Shaman 3rd wheel
    Last edited by mmoc3f252392be; 2013-07-17 at 02:03 PM.

Yes, yes mate. But as I said, we don't have nor will have a chance probably to get pala/disc.
    So we have a selection listed above.
    Shamans can also DPS "decently" while resto specced, you'll lack atonement but could work as well. I'll go with MW/shaman (there are fights where healing requeriments are nonexistant at best) and adding a druid on 3-heal fights (both MW and shaman can DPS while there's no damage)

Also you DO have a priest. Have him/her respec disc and DPS full time. More often than not the loss on DPS means nothing compared to the gain on healing

Do a Druid + MW with Shaman being the switch.

You can 2 heal a lot of the fights, so really whichever way you go, ensure your switch heal/DPS is skilled at both.

Shamans are pretty sub par this tier except where you can stack up and heal your nuts off.

I'd use a druid / MW combo with the 3rd being the shaman when needed. I just *feel* like you get a better synergy with dru/MW than you do with dru/dru.

If I were you I'd try to 2 heal tortos. Druids excel at it since they normally do a huge chunk of overhealing and this now gets eaten up by the shell absorbs. It's a mechanic check more than a numbers check, as long as you take good care of the bat tank (the bats hurt ) its a gimme.

I'd advocate 3 healing all of the others on your list except lei shen. Get your weakest healer to learn to draw the constellations, that's what makes or breaks the fight. If you 3 heal you can't afford to have a dps running off to do it, you will likely bump up against the enrage timer.

I would say MW + Rdruid + Rdruid. Shaman sux this tier. You just stack enough for them to be good. The only fight I would take shaman instead of 2nd dudu is Megaera and council.

Tortos - 2 heal mw + dudu
    IQ - 2/3 heal with mw + 2x dudu
    Prim - 2/3 heal with mw + dudus (I would lean towards 2 heal)
    Meg - 3 heal with mw dudu shaman
    Council - 2/3 heal with mw dudu shaman
    Durumu - 3 heal with mw + 2x dudu
    Twins - 2/3 heal (you cant really stack and the mushrooms are just f...ing amazing on this fight) mw + 2x dudu
    DA - depends on tactic, without shields you will have very hard time. Tactics also differ here from 1 to 3 heals (mw is always 1st healer, 2nd/3rd should be dudu
    Lei Shen - 2 heal? mw + dudu

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Also, speaking from experience, unless your shaman wants to reforge all out of mastery into crit for that one specific fight they are going to be the worst healer choice for heroic Tortos because of those crystal shields.
    They should be reforged out of mastery anyway. If they aren't, then its time to get a new shaman. Even two healing H Tortos the HPS requirement per healer is extremely low so the complete worthlessness of shaman mastery on this fight is of little relevance. if you can two heal Jinohk and Ji'kun your healers won't have any trouble capping everyone's shields inbetween quake stomps.

Some fights will be better suited to resto druid/MW combo while others will work better for resto shaman/MW or resto shaman/druid, of your available choices I would default to the players with the greatest skill, the difference in raid comp from your choices available won't make a significant difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Our shaman is "almost" reforged out of mastery. But generally as I understood, rshamans are decent for fights where people have the chance to stay close to each other?

Thank you for the possible suggestions. I do believe it will make easier to put the group together.

I do agree that it is not that hard to 2 heal Tortos (tried him last night), w/ mw/rdruid, but that fight need loads of things worked out and most of those are not healing related ^^. We 2 heal Jinrokh/Horridon, 3 heal Ji-kun.

generally as I understood, rshamans are decent for fights where people have the chance to stay close to each other?
    They are strong under stacked situations such as phase 4 iron qon, kazrajins discharge. magaera rampage, consorts nuclear inferno, but they also excel at triage healing and pumping out a lot of hps on a single target. Frostbite on H council for example, where high intensity single target output is required.