Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    It's not a double standard, it's just wrong on all accounts. If they actually did this yeah, they'd make a lot of money as you said but I bet they'd lose several million subscribers as it would be by far the biggest slap in the face they've ever done. They've promised updated models for YEARS and then to turn around and say we finally finished but you have to pay for them. Yeah..the sub drop would be massive and their shareholders would be PISSED.
    Let's be honest here. People wouldn't quit the game over it. They'd bitch and moan or a few days, but after people are buying it and it becomes the "norm" in game after a week or two, players will just accept it.

It happened with the sparkly horse, pets, and now the helms. History will repeat itself, as in people bitch for a few days and then noone cares. The same will happen when the xp bonus and lesser coins become a buyable item as well. People won't just quit the game they've invested 5+ years into just because Blizz is selling models that you don't even need which won't affect your game. Blizz knows this as well which is why like I said, it would be dumb not to sell models in the cash shop.
    Last edited by Chingylol; 2013-07-17 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozez View Post
    I agree, I think that blizzard should make all content they release to be bought. For example when they bring out patch 5.4 people can pay money for all the content that brings, and the people who don't want it don't have to!

//sarcasm
    A beginning for the idea of old expansion realms?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    New character models = cash shop

This isn't actually a bad idea, because only the people who WANT to have the new models for their toons can pick and choose which one. Everyone wins.

For example, I like my hunchback orc so wouldn't pay to have him updated, but I would definitely pay $15-25 dollars to have my human warrior updated with a new model. There's really no reason why Blizz SHOULDN'T do this. They make tons of money and only the people who want their toon to look different will purchase. Thoughts?
    New character models on the store is a bad thing, and don't think Blizzard would do so. New character models are a main content feature.
    New character skins on the store is okay for me, and I don't mind Blizzard charging for that. Now skins could be Mag'har, Dragonmaw, Fel Orc - would really more be a side content.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a terrible idea. I honestly can't stress that enough. If the vast majority of the player base has been wanting these new models for years, and Blizzard makes them only available in the Cash Shop, it will most likely cause Blizzard to lose tons of subscribers, and the only people who are dumb enough to actually buy them will be a very, very small minority. I really can't believe that you actually want this to happen. I'm at a loss for any more words.

While we're at it, why not make all updated graphics cost money. That would certainly be a genius choice on Blizzard's part, right guys? They'll practically be swimming in money while we're sheeping away at everything Blizzard tries to sell us. Everyone's happy!
    Last edited by elrot; 2013-07-17 at 08:38 PM.

Blizzard already charges us 15 bucks a month, plus the money we pay for expansions, and then of course there's the race/faction changes and server transfers. We pay for enough already, they are already treating it like a f2p game. Anyone who is suggesting that we pay for character models of all things is part of the reason Blizzard feels that it is ok for them to continue this shitty business model. And don't start with the "it's only cosmetic, it doesn't affect you" BS. We should be getting this content offered to us through in game means since we support them every month.
    non bias and mmos go together like nicholas cage and good movies.

Deleted
    Let's be honest here. People wouldn't quit the game over it. They'd bitch and moan or a few days, but after people are buying it and it becomes the "norm" in game after a week or two, players will just accept it.

It happened with the sparkly horse, pets, and now the helms. People bitch for a few days and then noone cares. The same will happen when the xp bonus and lesser coins become a buyable item as well. People won't just quit the game they've invested 5+ years into just because Blizz is selling models that you don't even need which won't affect your game. Blizz knows this as well which is why like I said, it would be dumb not to sell models in the cash shop.
    Tell that to bleeding subs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    New character models on the store is a bad thing, and don't think Blizzard would do so. New character models are a main content feature.
    New character skins on the store is okay for me, and I don't mind Blizzard charging for that. Now skins could be Mag'har, Dragonmaw, Fel Orc - would really more be a side content.
    I think this would be a decent cash shop addition (after a change in business model, but that's my personal opinion). Give the updated character models of the base designs for "free" in the game and have a selection of cosmetic skins such as Fel Orcs or Dark Iron dwarvesfor sale in the cash shop. Everyone's happy and Blizzard still get to laugh all the way to the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    It's not a double standard, it's just wrong on all accounts. If they actually did this yeah, they'd make a lot of money as you said but I bet they'd lose several million subscribers as it would be by far the biggest slap in the face they've ever done. They've promised updated models for YEARS and then to turn around and say we finally finished but you have to pay for them. Yeah..the sub drop would be massive and their shareholders would be PISSED.
    You have to break it down: What are player models? They are cosmetic things that people want because they like their character to look pretty - same as mounts or helms. It doesn't matter how "big" they are, they're still the same thing at the core. So why then are mounts and helms ok, but player models not?

Is it only because they've been "promised" that makes it different? Or is it because they're something that the majority of players actually want or feel they deserve?

I'm just trying to prove a point here.

Just strictly my opinion, but if they try and charge for new character models it will cost them money because subs will drop like a rock. While it may be purely cosmetic, I think in a ton of peoples minds it will be something that will force them to leave just on principal alone.

I don't think people realize just how many people are on that fence right now, just waiting for a reason to finally let them quit. Lots of us are around because we have a ton of years in the game, and nothing else is so awesome to pull us away. The last thing Blizzard needs to do is give people even more reason to finally not stick around.

The helms are something that a lot of people may not like, but they can at least just deal with it for some reason. I think being charged for new character models would be the proverbial straw.

let's all just continue to post this in every thread about it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    I think this would be a decent cash shop addition (after a change in business model, but that's my personal opinion). Give the updated character models of the base designs for "free" in the game and have a selection of cosmetic skins such as Fel Orcs or Dark Iron dwarvesfor sale in the cash shop. Everyone's happy and Blizzard still get to laugh all the way to the bank.
    I don't think Blizzard would be "laughing". It's still time to design external character skins for yourr character. The models, as said, the should and would be part of main content.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    You have to break it down: What are player models? They are cosmetic things that people want because they like their character to look pretty - same as mounts or helms. It doesn't matter how "big" they are, they're still the same thing at the core. So why then are mounts and helms ok, but player models not?

Is it only because they've been "promised" that makes it different? Or is it because they're something that the majority of players actually want or feel they deserve?

It's because they've been promised. I think they first talked about updated models at the end of the WOTLK and few expansions later and we still haven't seen them. Plus it's a great selling point for the next expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post

Progress sometimes passes old documents, sadly. We can't stop it, really.

And to the op you'd pay half the cost of a new mmo with no sub fee and outstanding graphics, to update one character's appearence in WoW?

Exactly. The game has changed since 2008 and micro transactions will soon be the norm for most MMO's. People have to accept it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeb View Post
    It's because they've been promised. I think they first talked about updated models at the end of the WOTLK and few expansions later and we still haven't seen them. Plus it's a great selling point for the next expansion.
    You forgot to add the fact that 3 character models are completed, as of what we know now. (No source, you scroll through thousands of tweets if you like).
    But we don't know how far they are, nor when they are.

And to the op you'd pay half the cost of a new mmo with no sub fee and outstanding graphics, to update one character's appearence in WoW?
    Yes, I would. I wouldn't pay more then 20- $25 for an updated character model. People will pay it. I mean, people are paying $15 for a helm..

10+ Year Old Account
    maby he actully meant it like "i dont want my model too be upgraded please dont do it" so he can actully choose if he gets upgraded or not

Exactly. The game has changed since 2008 and micro transactions will soon be the norm for most MMO's. People have to accept it.
    key point here is "subscription based games" if they got rid of the monthly access fee and did this, the response would be entirely different and cash store EXPECTED.

I personally feel the negative response has a lot to do with the game still being subscription based. if you want to do this, you make the game f2p at the same time. these things must coincede

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post

No, the new player models are cosmetic things players want so their character doesn't look shitty.

If you don't buy, say, the newest mount of mog piece, it doesn't change fuck all in your game. But if you don't buy the new models then you have to endure the crappy animations of the older races, as well as their completely outdated skins.

If they put the new models on the cash shop, they essentially give you a lesser product quality so you pay more to get something decent, rather than offering a good quality product with optional enhancements.