Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sOvrn View Post
    I seriously hope you never run a business in your life. There's something called goodwill - and it has its limits.

Seriously, I can't believe you would voluntarily shove all that down our throats. Have some standards for the quality of the product, ffs.

EDIT: Upon thinking about it further, the "sparkly horse,pets, and helms" are all just bonus features- nothing SO ESSENTIAL as your character model. I don't think you're realizing the leap you are proposing but you're trying to compare apples to oranges and it just isn't working.
    And what standard would that be? While I don't agree character models in the cash shop make sense and I have stated why I'm still baffled as to why players insist there is some sort of 'standard" as to how business models in mmos work. There is no super secret rule book stating it is a cardinal sin for subscription based mmos to charge for micro transactions. I understand people don't like the concept and again that's great, but why? Again I have yet to hear any sort of compelling reason as to why micro transactions can't be done in subscription based mmos and if you are going to bring up standards then you have already lost the argument before it even starts because it IS standard now and has been for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Neither of which impacts your ability to get through content in this game. Not even a slight amount

It is 100% a visual / vanity issue. So if the cash shop is good enough for xmog gear and mounts, it's good enough for character models too.
    There is a distinction here that needs to be made. Can they justify new models in the cash shop? Yes. Should they do it? Fuck no. Just because they could put them up there, and some genius poster made a thread about it, doesn't mean it's a good idea. It would seriously alienate a huge portion of the player base.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darmalus View Post
    I don't think this would ever happen. Think about all the NPCs that use player models. Can you imagine old models and new models in the same crowd? It'd be silly. All the old models are gonna have to get updated, with maybe a few "throwbacks" in choice locations (like the Alpha model humans in Old Hillsbrad), and that includes the players.

It would be bad for the game aesthetically and bad for player perception of Blizzard itself.

I just hope they offer free recustomization. Who knows what my poor characters will look like after the computer auto-updates them.

Blizzard has said they intend for people to keep the old models if they so wish, as people might have grown attached to them or simply don't like the new models.

They also said they intend to let people update their old characters for free (probably,) as opposed to having to pay for re-customization.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    And what standard would that be? While I don't agree character models in the cash shop make sense and I have stated why I'm still baffled as to why players insist there is some sort of 'standard" as to how business models in mmos work. There is no super secret rule book stating it is a cardinal sin for subscription based mmos to charge for micro transactions. I understand people don't like the concept and again that's great, but why? Again I have yet to hear any sort of compelling reason as to why micro transactions can't be done in subscription based mmos and if you are going to bring up standards then you have already lost the argument before it even starts because it IS standard now and has been for quite a while.
    There isn't a magic answer here. The only real answer is money. They WILL lose subs if they put new models on the cash shop. You can bet your ass if they thought they could get away with it, we'd have gotten new characters years ago.

"All I'm saying is that from a business stand point, there's no reason to not put updated models in the cash store. It would be foolish from a profit standpoint to not pass it up. They would make millions off it."

Sure they would make millions off of it, Though they will be losing millions from sub drops. Flat out this idea is not good for blizzard at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonWuzHear View Post
    I honestly think that OP made this thread just to prove a point that just because something is purely cosmetic, doesn't mean that it should be on the cash shop. He proved that point very well !

My hope is that the cash shop will grow enough to take the place of the subscription model... At the same time I worry that leading up to the F2P model will be too rocky. WoW will probably become F2P once Blizzard releases their next MMO.
    The OP would have a point were it not for the fact that Blizzard is updating the models to make the game look more consistent. I don't care what players want or think quite honestly because that isn't even remotely the point here. If he wants to make a point he needs to pick a better example because this one is absolutely moronic.

The outrage would be overwhelming. How long have they been talking about/promising new character models?

Oh, surprise guys, we totally have those new models - AVAILABLE NOW IN THE CASH SHOP!

/riot

Quote Originally Posted by Zorua View Post
    The OP's trolling guys. There's no one possibly this stupid on earth. Can we get a mod to shut down this train wreck?

OP's not trolling, he's proving a point. People say they don't care if the shop only offers cosmetic items; however, OP can prove that there's at least one instance of cosmetic content that people can all agree is stupid to pay for. He's proving that their is no fine line between good cash shop practice, everyone has their own limits.

I agree !

Lets put raids in the cash shop too. Get attuned to Heroic SoO for $4.99 only !

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    New character models = cash shop

This isn't actually a bad idea, because only the people who WANT to have the new models for their toons can pick and choose which one. Everyone wins.

For example, I like my hunchback orc so wouldn't pay to have him updated, but I would definitely pay $15-25 dollars to have my human warrior updated with a new model. There's really no reason why Blizz SHOULDN'T do this. They make tons of money and only the people who want their toon to look different will purchase. Thoughts?
    Pretty sure all orcs are supposed to be hunchback even if it was due some unnaturall cause. I remember Thrall being an exception, don't remember why though...maybe because he was raised and trained by humans?

Quote Originally Posted by Peeb View Post
    Yes, I sure hope they release everything in next expansion with Vanilla-quality textures. Want better looking enemies? 20 bucks. Do the trees look like they were taken from the Minecraft? Another 20 bucks please. It's 100% visual so fuck you, better get that credit card of yours.
    There in no point in arguing this because it isn't going to happen. I'm fine with a discussion on what Blizzard may or may not charge for in the coming years but stupid crap like this isn't exactly going to get you any support and just reinforces the fact that those who are so morally outraged and righteously indignant over the cash shop don't really seem to know why they dislike it nor are they seemingly capable of even articulating it beyond hyperbole and fear mongering.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    New pet and mount models seem to always end up on the blizzstore first and maybe appear in game sometime later.
    And? People who pay get it first. So what? No really this is a serious question and I want an answer.

So. What?

Who does this hurt? How does it hurt the game? I'm talking real damages here not the delicate sensibilities of those who are butthurt over profit.

Considering that one helm costs 12€, full updated model would cost atleast 70-80€. That would be a fair price. After all, it does make you look better, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Methusula View Post
    There isn't a magic answer here. The only real answer is money. They WILL lose subs if they put new models on the cash shop. You can bet your ass if they thought they could get away with it, we'd have gotten new characters years ago.
    Judging by this website, i'm sure they can get away with anything and get an army of apologists anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dejec1989 View Post
    You know this big thing we have been talking about for ages? well we were thinking and have decided that just giving to you as part of your sub or as an exp perk was just too generous, so were going to charge £10 per skin to unlock, after that you can upgrade with new hair styles and skin colours and eyes just for an extra £2 per item per race, enjoy........

Hell to the Fucking no.....
    GC said it was something entirely new. Blizzard store has been around for quite a while and implementing it within the game itself wouldn't make it new. Also Blizzard has already discussed selling transmog and other cosmetic items long before now so again no, it isn't new.

I dont know if anyone else has said this(scrolled through and didnt see it). But a MAJOR difference between the mounts/pets/transmog gear and character models is options. There are literally hundreds of different mounts/pets/transmog gear in the game to pick from, there is only 1 character model to choose from. Dont want a massively out dated character model? To damn bad, pony up the dough or deal with it... screw that.

Quote Originally Posted by me8998 View Post
    It's not going to happen. They know it would be PR suicide.
    It has nothing to do with PR and everything to do with their goals. The goal of new character models is making all models look more consistent and doing anything that results in some people using old models such as charging for it isn't going to achieve that. It is that simple.

I'm honestly surprised to see so many people legitimately excited for the WoW cash shop growth. I figured people would have more common sense, really. What do you think is going to happen when Blizzard sees that they can get away with putting more and more content that should be accessible in-game on the cash shop? They're going to push those boundaries, and there's not been a whole lot feedback from the playerbase indicating that they're about to hit a limit any time soon. Blizzard sees this as an opportunity to double dip (or triple dip, if you include the trading cards) into peoples' wallets, and people are just holding them open for them.

You'll notice I said "content that should be accessible in-game." I said that because that is the fundamental reason people still supported the subscription model. In a market that is almost completely converted to free-to-play or buy-to-play with cash shops, I've seen hundreds, if not thousands, of posts from people saying they stick to WoW because they don't have a cash shop, so all of the content (gear, mounts, pets, everything) could be achieved in-game. That's not the case anymore. Blizzard is actively creating content with the specific goal of hiding it behind a paywall, on top of the subscription fee. And people who so adamantly decried other games for doing this are now cheering Blizzard on as they do it. Don't get me wrong, I don't see a problem with Blizzard implementing something like this specifically in regions that don't pay the subscription fee. But they should at least give subscription-paying players the option to buy those items with gold in-game.

Of course I am pretty much expecting a deluge of spite towards me for saying all this, with such responses as "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T PAY INTO IT SIMPLE AS THAT." Well, first off, I'm one step ahead of you. I've already frozen my account, which truth be told I've been meaning to for a while now. I just don't play enough to warrant paying anymore, but this whole cash shop thing convinced me to flip the switch for good. Second, the whole "if you don't like it, don't buy it" thing doesn't really work as well as you'd think, especially when it comes to the gaming community at large. The gaming consumer base is pretty devoid of informed consumers, and most informed consumers are often shot down when speaking up by a barrage of "gamer entitlement" name-calling.

I got a bit off track I think, so I'll just say this last: it won't stop at transmog helms, experience boosters, or lesser charm packs. Blizzard used to be adamantly against any microtransactions. But then they saw the profit that was to be had in it. And now that gravy train is rolling and can't be stopped. And the whole time, the majority of the people paying their subscription fees like good little customers won't see a single thing wrong with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow... there are ppl here that actually want to PAY MONEY to get what SHOULD be included in the sub fees... I was OK with the pets that were for charity... even bought the Panda when it came out because u know... charity... but unless they donate like 90% of the money they get from cash shop to charity I'm against it for as long as sub fees are still 15$/month.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    People are horribly underestimating the amount of coding needed to split the client into old models and new models based solely on which account paid for them.
    And not even acknowledging Blizzard's main reason for updating them in the first place: consistency.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    New character models = cash shop

This isn't actually a bad idea, because only the people who WANT to have the new models for their toons can pick and choose which one. Everyone wins.

For example, I like my hunchback orc so wouldn't pay to have him updated, but I would definitely pay $15-25 dollars to have my human warrior updated with a new model. There's really no reason why Blizz SHOULDN'T do this. They make tons of money and only the people who want their toon to look different will purchase. Thoughts?
    Everyone wins... hmmm ok? I only win if I get it for free.

Anyway...