Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    Well they already allowed the game to be ridiculous the moment they released those golden mounts and the whole town looked golden and you couldn't see shit. Wouldn't put it past them with their apparent money hunger they have right now. (but I doubt it).
    Because that never ever happened before when a new popular mount was implemented and everyone and their mother had one right? Remember that derpy looking bird from the Hyjal dailies? Cities were flooded with the damn things and it wasn't a cash shop item. It isn't a result of "money hunger" it is because people like using whatever the new mounts are whether they are bought in a cash shop or obtained in game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elementalkin View Post
    It's called a different point of view. He even asked you for your thoughts, but you probably skimmed through it and missed that part.
    I don't think you understand the concept of devil's advocate.

If Blizzard decides to put it up on the cash shop, I'm sure there will be tons of people defending the decision. It would be disappointing to me though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    New character models = cash shop

This isn't actually a bad idea, because only the people who WANT to have the new models for their toons can pick and choose which one. Everyone wins.

For example, I like my hunchback orc so wouldn't pay to have him updated, but I would definitely pay $15-25 dollars to have my human warrior updated with a new model. There's really no reason why Blizz SHOULDN'T do this. They make tons of money and only the people who want their toon to look different will purchase. Thoughts?
    I don't think it is a terrible idea on paper. But people are already having a complete fit over the transmog cash shop items, I don't even want to think about the shit storm this would cause.

I am pretty sure Blizz has already said they are working on a way to make sure people don't feel alienated by the new models, they want your character to still be your character. They could possibly leave the old in and just add the new ones. The problem with having both the new and old in the game is the amount of textures, there would be twice as many.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    It has nothing to do with PR and everything to do with their goals. The goal of new character models is making all models look more consistent and doing anything that results in some people using old models such as charging for it isn't going to achieve that. It is that simple.
    Except that

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Blizzard has said they intend for people to keep the old models if they so wish, as people might have grown attached to them or simply don't like the new models.
    so that makes your only point invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    I find this thread insulting. How is it even rational for us to pay something apart from subscription for something we are "promised" for all those years?
    Where were were "promised"? We were never promised them. Just told they are working on them slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    let's all just continue to post this in every thread about it
    <snip > ARTICLE FOUND HERE http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...ld-of-Warcraft
    It's really convenient how you left out the last line:

When it was suggested micro-transactions might make it easier for casual gamers to maintain pace with more serious players, Pardo said, "They aren't going to be the ones spending the money."

Anyone who can read the entire article can figure out that it is referring to selling in game items that would give advantages over other places. Exactly what has been sold that gives players an advantage over others? Their mount/pet count? Their heads being sparkly and shiny?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    let's all just continue to post this in every thread about it
    <snip > ARTICLE FOUND HERE http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...ld-of-Warcraft
    It's really convenient how you left out the last line:

When it was suggested micro-transactions might make it easier for casual gamers to maintain pace with more serious players, Pardo said, "They aren't going to be the ones spending the money."

Anyone who can read the entire article can figure out that it is referring to selling in game items that would give advantages over other places. Exactly what has been sold that gives players an advantage over others? Their mount/pet count? Their heads being sparkly and shiny?
    Last edited by Lucetia; 2013-07-17 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Markred View Post
    they really should lock all of these threads,its starting to be annoying having like 20 threads on one topic. PS blizzard wouldent do that,they arnt idiots. They know they can make money from Transmog items that wont affect everyone. but when it comes to new models that everyone wants, its different.
    I said it before and I will say it again, the entire purpose of threads like this are to distract people from actual constructive discussion. For the sake of argument if the OP is being sincere then he picked the worst possible example to use to make his point.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorua View Post
    The OP's trolling guys. There's no one possibly this stupid on earth. Can we get a mod to shut down this train wreck?
    I just don't understand how someone enjoys making such a thread and read other peoples replies to it... maybe he ran out of money for his WoW subscription?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    so that makes your only point invalid.

Indeed. I don't have the blue quote on hand, but nothing Blizzard has said leads me to believe they wanted to unilaterally change everyone's old models. To my best recollection, they seemed to be more in favor of allowing people to choose between both, and were considering letting people update their old toons' models for free.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

...Or...they could just give you the option of keeping your old model for free. Don't know why you're actually asking Blizzard for another way for them to get your money

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    That is all well and good but again part of why Blizzard is updating character models is to make them all more consistent with each other. Putting them in the cash shop runs counter to that as it would result in a mish mash of wildly different looking models making the game overall look worse than it did before the update. It just isn't going to happen. Now that isn't to say they won't put some additional options for the new character models in the cash shop which I think is likely but the actual updated models themselves will be free.

- - - Updated - - -

And mods need to start banning for this nonsense. The industry has changed and Blizzard has to change with it or get left behind. That is all there is to it.
    So you're saying if the USA changes they should not follow their constitution anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    You don't understand his post? He's trying to make the point that people should be ok with models in the shop, because they are ok with transmog gear in the shop, because it's just cosmetic and so are models, but he knows people will be against models in the shop. Therefore he can prove that the cash shop is not only bad if it offers P2W items, but some items that are only cosmetic, like models, shouldn't be there either according to most people. He is clearly against the transmog items as well. Damn, I can't believe I actually have to explain this. You do know what a devil's advocate is, right?
    The problem is having the new character models in the cash shop defeats the entire reason Blizzard is updating them in the first place. If the OP is sincere then I understand his point I truly do. The problem is Blizzard just simply isn't going to do something to update the look of the game in an attempt to keep players and possibly get more and then do something to prevent some players from having the new models. It isn't just about what your personal character looks like it is how ALL of them look and the game having a unified look and feel.

Deleted
    Everybody wins.. riiight? I for on have never bought a single item from any cash shop of any game and I never will. This is why I avoid f2p and p2w games and stick with sub based ones because paying the monthly sub should get you everything, right? It's one thing to change the payment model to f2p and then implement the cash shop but what they're doing now is double tipping.

If they actually do this, I'd say nobody wins. They'd lose more money from quitters and players would be unhappy too having to either pay for something like this or having to go without if they refuse to pay. Also you make it sound like this would be ok because they're selling the helmets now. Well, even selling helmets there is not ok but it's a calculated risk they seem to be willing to take. Guess we'll see how it turns out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peso View Post
    So you're saying if the USA changes they should not follow their constitution anymore?
    Where did Blizzard say they wouldn't sell cosmetic stuff?

Find me the quote in which they say "we will not sell cosmetic items ever."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Where did Blizzard say they wouldn't sell cosmetic stuff?

Find me the quote in which they say "we will not sell cosmetic items ever."
    I don't think an experience potion is cosmetic unless it gives off a scent somehow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peso View Post
    I don't think an experience potion is cosmetic unless it gives off a scent somehow.
    To my knowledge they haven't actually started selling that yet.

And what about recruit a friend/scroll of resurrection? Those are technically "sold" services, are they not? The only thing exchanging hands is money...
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Interesting reactions. I guess the whole "they're only cosmetic" line doesn't hold a lot of water.

The pro-cash shop crowd might want to remember this next time someone else gets annoyed at some new feature that isn't available in the game any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonWuzHear View Post
    It's understood that our subscription goes towards content being developed. The items on the store is technically content that is being developed. So in a sense, it's as if Blizz is "double-dipping". That's where these people are coming from!

On the old WoW website it had a FAQ that explained the purpose of the subscription, in that it helped Blizzard maintain servers and helped produce patches.

Here's a list of game marketing models in reception from players, 1 being the best reception:
    1. Free game, free everything (non-existant really)
    2. Free game, pay for certain vanities
    3. Free game, pay 2 win
    4. Pay for game, free everything
    5. Pay for game, pay for downloadable content
    6. Free game, subscriptions, free content
    7. Pay for game, pay for subscriptions, free content
    8. Pay for game, pay for subscriptions, pay for cosmetic content <--- where WoW is at now
    9. Pay for game, pay for subscriptions, pay to win. (non-existant too)
    Yeah yeah yeah yeah. Heard it all before but answers NONE of my questions. I understand players dislike micro transactions but I'm asking for an explanation for not only why players consider it wrong but also why they think their arbitrary rules are anything but a construct of their own making or why they think any company should listen to their business advice? Continually spouting off the "I shouldn't have to" party line accomplishes nothing. We get it. You don't want to pay extra. Great. But why is paying for extra things bad or wrong? If micro transactions are bad and evil then why aren't subscriptions? All I ever see if people flying off the handle whenever cash shops come up but never actually elaborate on why they are bad other than to say games didn't use to do it before. Well games didn't always have a subscription either. It is hypocrisy of the highest order and if people are serious about trying to convince Blizzard to decide against a cash shop they are going to have to do a hell of a lot more than spam their "my way or the highway" posts.

To my knowledge they haven't actually started selling that yet.

And what about recruit a friend/scroll of resurrection? Those are technically "sold" services, are they not? The only thing exchanging hands is money...
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." We'll see in 2014 - 2015 where this'll take us.

Tell me OP, how would you feel about this idea?

When the next xpac ships, the entirety of the new continent will be untextured. All of the ground is a smooth, glossy silver/grey, all the trees are uncolored, black images. Annoying, maybe, but it's fine! Environment textures are entirely cosmetic anyway, it doesn't really matter. Environmental textures are available for $20 from the Blizzard store, though, for those who want it.

Sound absurd? Of course it does, and of course I'm exaggerating a bit to make a point. Like environmental textures, character models are more than just a cosmetic, they are part of the fundamental experience of the game, and they should be good, and they certainly shouldn't have to be paid extra for. If Blizzard has new models, they need to be available for free because they are a fundamental component of the game's aesthetic (while mounts, pets, and a few helms are not).

That said, it would be nice if the old models were still available for those who wanted them, as long as no one has to pay for the new models, or pay to keep the old ones. I don't know how practical/possible that would be for Blizzard, but I'd like to see it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    New character models = cash shop

This isn't actually a bad idea, because only the people who WANT to have the new models for their toons can pick and choose which one. Everyone wins.

For example, I like my hunchback orc so wouldn't pay to have him updated, but I would definitely pay $15-25 dollars to have my human warrior updated with a new model. There's really no reason why Blizz SHOULDN'T do this. They make tons of money and only the people who want their toon to look different will purchase. Thoughts?
    Would you pay 15-25 dollars each to get your night elf, blood elf, and tauren upgraded too? That seems like a lot for one race.

I mean, the big reason why they shouldn't do it is because it stabs a lot of people who're paying a sub fee on the grounds that they're going to come forward with new features (both cosmetic and not) on a regular basis.

Not only that, but things like these cash-shop helms haven't had ~10 months of hype up behind them.

If nothing else, it'd cost them money to implement a system to unlock it through the store, test it, and then train CS to troubleshoot it. Or they can throw it in a patch and call it a day. (and watch subs rise as people log in to check out the changes.)