Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    Updated Player Model + Cash Shop = me go bye bye, they make atleast £200k from the EU subs, ALONE, in A MONTH, -IF NOT MORE- if their plan is to make WoW the game with the least amount of subs, this is the right way to do it, but as someone has mentioned, if it was a F2P game, then MAAAAYBE, but not if we're already paying £8.99 (about 12€ or $15)per month
    I don't think telling Blizzard they made enough money is a compelling argument against cash shops. In fact that is the best way to get Blizzard to completely ignore your opinion on the matter. Again I get why people are upset and again that's great but I still want an explanation as to who made this rule that micro transactions aren't allowed in subscription games. Who says and more importantly why?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Interesting reactions. I guess the whole "they're only cosmetic" line doesn't hold a lot of water.

The pro-cash shop crowd might want to remember this next time someone else gets annoyed at some new feature that isn't available in the game any other way.
    More likely, it would be a bit disheartening if something that's been promised, and perhaps worked on, for years, which has no offered alternatives going forwards, was stuck behind an additional fee.

That, compared to something Blizzard works on casually for a few months and then releases along with a slew of other features that occupy the same roll in game, which is what we have now.

So your musings would be more apt if Blizzard were releasing several different versions of new character models for free, while the set that was on the store just had the largest number of hair cuts and the shiniest teeth. In which case, it would seem pretty stupid to me to be incensed about some haircuts and shiny teeth.

This does not appear to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Peso View Post
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." We'll see in 2014 - 2015 where this'll take us.
    So in essence, you're claiming "slippery slope" and then not actually answering my question.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-07-17 at 11:27 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I'm not clamoring for new character models. I suppose I'd be a bit miffed if Blizzard made them store only (mainly because they said they had the intention of letting people do it for free,) but it IS purely a cosmetic change...
    A game wide cosmetic change that can potentially bring in new players or at least retain current players. Not even remotely close to being the same thing.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Every Pwny View Post
    If Blizzard decides to put it up on the cash shop, I'm sure there will be tons of people defending the decision. It would be disappointing to me though.
    Sadly after reading all the threads on mmochampion and the official forums I've come to notice there are more people for a cash shop then there are against it. Hell my server is flooded with those helms now.....all those complaints really showed blizz when everyone got a helm anyway.

Blizz knows where it's fans loyalties lie and they know just how many people will throw their money at the screen everytime a shiny new item shows up on the store. It would not surprise me in the least if character models go up, blizz knowing full well that more people will buy them for their mains and alts then there will be people complaining or quitting over it.

It really is sad just what has happened in the last month even just how thin the line blizz wants to walk between p2p and p2p with all the f2p attractions. As I said on the blizz forums and what I most likely got banned for when trying to knock sense into people defending it, you are blind as a bat if you think they will stop at transmog or xp pots, greed dictates once you have had a taste of the pie you will continue to want more and more(and that is exactly what blizz is doing now).

Quote Originally Posted by darkminaz View Post
    new char models were promised years ago .. but they were busy making cute fluffy pandas and aliens and barbie dolls :P
    well some high poly (or atleast a bit more high poly) models for your own char, woudn't realy hurt

paying for it sounds just retarded, it's not an option and it affects all players. i don't see a way you can "transmog" your char to look better .. (well you can change the game files .. lawl^^)

well i don't like paying for mounts/pets/etc and pay for the game .. just seems wrong to me somehow.
    Why is it wrong? Until this question can be answered intelligently and rationally none of you have any hope of gaining support for your position from other players much less changing Blizzard's course.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    More likely, it would be a bit disheartening if something that's been promised, and perhaps worked on, for years, which has no offered alternatives going forwards, was stuck behind an additional fee.

That, compared to something Blizzard works on casually for a few months and then releases along with a slew of other features that occupy the same roll in game, which is what we have now.

So your musings would be more apt if Blizzard were releasing several different versions of new character models for free, while the set that was on the store just had the largest number of hair cuts and the shiniest teeth.

This does not appear to be the case.

So in essence, you're claiming "slippery slope" and then not actually answering my question.
    Well you're getting into technical territory and so am I. Technically we are on a slippery slope right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigthumbb View Post
    Tell me OP, how would you feel about this idea?

When the next xpac ships, the entirety of the new continent will be untextured. All of the ground is a smooth, glossy silver/grey, all the trees are uncolored, black images. Annoying, maybe, but it's fine! Environment textures are entirely cosmetic anyway, it doesn't really matter. Environmental textures are available for $20 from the Blizzard store, though, for those who want it.

Sound absurd? Of course it does, and of course I'm exaggerating a bit to make a point. Like environmental textures, character models are more than just a cosmetic, they are part of the fundamental experience of the game, and they should be good, and they certainly shouldn't have to be paid extra for. If Blizzard has new models, they need to be available for free because they are a fundamental component of the game's aesthetic (while mounts, pets, and a few helms are not).
    So environmental textures and character models are fundemental parts of the game. Mounts and helms are not.
    So if we get untextured mounts and helms and had to pay extra for the textures that would be fine, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    A game wide cosmetic change that can potentially bring in new players or at least retain current players. Not even remotely close to being the same thing.
    I've said why I wouldn't personally be "outraged," however, I can understand why people would be. Most notably, see my post above.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    If you don't pay for the new models then you don't get to download the "new model" patch and every character in the game stays the same as it is now. Problem solved.
    No not problem solved. Updated character models aren't just about how players view their own characters but how they view the characters around them. It is a game wide change being made to update the look of the entire game beyond that of personal cosmetics. Allowing the use of old models defeats the entire purpose of updating them in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    So environmental textures and character models are fundemental parts of the game. Mounts and helms are not.
    So if we get untextured mounts and helms and had to pay extra for the textures that would be fine, right?
    That was more an exaggerated example to support the idea that there are limits to the "But it's only a cosmetic change" argument, which your own post here also supports. It was only intended to make that point in particular - obviously, that's not something Blizzard would ever actually do.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why is it wrong? Until this question can be answered intelligently and rationally none of you have any hope of gaining support for your position from other players much less changing Blizzard's course.
    Because we pay to play this game, there is nothing more that can justify the answer. They have never told us that our $15 a month is for nothing more than access to their servers, until they do so there are things that are expected or should even be guaranteed with our subscription. Character models is one of those things that we have known they have been working on them for years, they are something that either come with the subscription or they make this game f2p if they want to charge for them.

Everyone is going to want their models updated(unless the update for certain ones is terrible), knowing this is it right to be charged for something our sub money has been paying for when everyone is going to want the update?

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering how many times Blizzard has stated how expensive it is to redo all the old models, it only makes sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    No not problem solved. Updated character models aren't just about how players view their own characters but how they view the characters around them. It is a game wide change being made to update the look of the entire game beyond that of personal cosmetics. Allowing the use of old models defeats the entire purpose of updating them in the first place.
    Last I heard about it, Blizzard was going to allow players to use whichever models they preferred, whether new or old.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceirus View Post
    Ya OP, really smart idea. What's next you gotta pay a $1 per dungeon and $5 for a raid? Come on... Why should ANYONE have to pay so their characters don't have one giant block as a hand.
    Again "I shouldn't have to" isn't a compelling reason for Blizzard to not put certain things in the cash shop. Why aren't you fighting against having to pay a subscription? You already bought the game right? In fact why aren't you fighting against charging anything for games at all? While you may not want to pay for certain things that doesn't make it objectively wrong or bad and until players get this through their thick skulls and take a different tact with Blizzard nothing is going to change.

For me, I'd say that the only piece of this where the cash shop should come in is if you absolutely must keep the old model. Such as if people wanted to use the alpha female worgen, or just classic versions of the races which will receive updates. That makes more sense to me.

What am I paying them 15 dollars a month for?

Oh right, to release content.

Which includes new models.

Quote Originally Posted by Methusula View Post
    There isn't a magic answer here. The only real answer is money. They WILL lose subs if they put new models on the cash shop. You can bet your ass if they thought they could get away with it, we'd have gotten new characters years ago.
    Profit has NOTHING to do with why they delayed working on new character models. The simple fact of the matter is other thins took priority and things such as the Azeroth revamp took a significant amount of time. In fact were it not for that revamp I'm nearly certain we would have gotten the new models much earlier. As far as Blizzard "getting away with it" goes, it is their product, their vision, their call to make. They don't have to ask anyone permission to do anythin with their very own product. That attitude players have towards Blizzard along with the "I shouldn't have to" nonsense is the main reason why I don't see Blizzard changing course here with cash shops. Players are arguing the wrong issues.

I don't think you understand what I was trying to say. What if it's not a game wide change unless you actually buy it? You don't get to see the new models at all. Not on your own character, not on anyone else. No issue with consistency. No reason not to put them in the cash shop then.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverdare View Post
    "All I'm saying is that from a business stand point, there's no reason to not put updated models in the cash store. It would be foolish from a profit standpoint to not pass it up. They would make millions off it."

Sure they would make millions off of it, Though they will be losing millions from sub drops. Flat out this idea is not good for blizzard at all.
    Players quit over everything. Literally everything. It is nice to believe that Blizzard doesn't want to do things that make people quit but it is quite naive. Everything Blizzard does results in subscription loss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alesa View Post
    What is this, SWTOR?
    Not there just yet. Atleast our action bars are still free.
    Aye mate