Holy priest Mastery vs Int Math needed

I see Holy priests end game anywhere from 28% - 36%+ Mastery. Some have more int gems and some more mastery. I have not found a good sim or math that really says which is better, what time one becomes to much or better. There was an old post on the match back in cata. Has anyone done the math on MoP?

Without diving into my Sim's you shouldnt be gemming pure mastery, are you talking about hybrid gems in red sockets?

Generally Mastery scales our heals less than Int would, in terms of HPS/HPM--- int, of course, also scales Echo of Light given that the base heal will be bigger. (so your echo is a % of a larger heal).

Unless you want to run a full simcraft, take a look at http://www.healadinne.com/HealCalc/healcalc.html and look at the individual 1000 point rating changes, for the spells you are interested in after importing your own character.

I have 28% mastery, i gem red - int and mastery, green spirit and mastery, int and spirit whatever gem i use it always has mastery on it but i combined it with int spirit / mastery and some blue gems with just spirit ii seem to do okay so far so good. I have 23k int

Holy priest mastery only increases your EoL not your actual heal applied like disc. B/c Holy priest already have a larger portion of EoL going into overheal most fights I would say from logic that INT>MASTERY point for point. Secondary second stat budgeting ofc for gems is double, but even then you have to think of throughput vs overhealing.

Just to give you an idea my holy priest is sitting at 22% mastery and 43k spell power (25k int) unbuffed (with inner fire). My EoL averages around 66% overhealing, so I try to grab int always over mastery where possible.
    Last edited by Nottatank; 2013-07-18 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by derevka View Post
    Without diving into my Sim's you shouldnt be gemming pure mastery, are you talking about hybrid gems in red sockets?

Generally Mastery scales our heals less than Int would, in terms of HPS/HPM--- int, of course, also scales Echo of Light given that the base heal will be bigger. (so your echo is a % of a larger heal).

Unless you want to run a full simcraft, take a look at http://www.healadinne.com/HealCalc/healcalc.html and look at the individual 1000 point rating changes, for the spells you are interested in after importing your own character.
    Took me a minute to figure out how to use this site. First, click the Filters section at the top and check only holy priest. Then, hover over a spell and look at the little table on the right. It will populate will values based on onHover.

I'm seeing mastery vary from 0.5 - 0.55 or so. Int varies from 1.1 - 1.3 or so.

Therefore, Int is more than twice as effective as mastery.
    Last edited by Manhands; 2013-07-18 at 08:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nottatank View Post
    Holy priest mastery only increases your EoL not your actual heal applied like disc. B/c Holy priest already have a larger portion of EoL going into overheal most fights I would say from logic that INT>MASTERY point for point. Secondary second stat budgeting ofc for gems is double, but even then you have to think of throughput vs overhealing.

Just to give you an idea my holy priest is sitting at 22% mastery and 43k spell power (25k int) unbuffed (with inner fire). My EoL averages around 66% overhealing, so I try to grab int always over mastery where possible.
    Echo of Light forms a significant part of my overall healing, and is often my top heal on progression fights. So it may only scale with that HoT, but it's a powerful little HoT that adds up.

@OP: I wouldn't gem pure Mastery in any case. I prefer hybrid gems, and generally go for Int/Mastery, Spirit/Mastery, or something similar. But, I'm also balancing a Disc Spec on the same gear, so my gems are a bit wonky.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

From what I found most spells are

Int 1.29
    Mastery .77
    Crit .72

I took out 4% mastery I had to much of due to stacking and picked up more int. Lets see how it changes in the real world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstorm View Post
    From what I found most spells are

Int 1.29
    Mastery .77
    Crit .72

I took out 4% mastery I had to much of due to stacking and picked up more int. Lets see how it changes in the real world.
    This is generally the best way to look at things. Try it out for yourself, test it out, and see where it leaves you.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama