Deleted

DA tanking Jinrohk 10 n

So I've been thinking about asking my guild to let me have a go at tanking jinrohk on one of our farm nights but I'm not sure if it's viable. I have three questions regarding this.

1: Crit immunity. Seeing as I won't have any kind of crit immunity is it likely he'll just one shot my face off?

2: Focused lightning. I'm not sure how this mechanic works in terms of targetting. Obviously it doesn't target the tanks but is this based on threat or some other underlying factor that would result it me possible taking a focused lightning as I'm tanking?

3: Thundering throw. Similar question as before. Is thundering throw based on the bosses threat table?

I'm sitting at around 750k hp using go sac soul link so have a nice health pool.

Also as far as talents go which tier 1 talent would be worth picking up? I'm thinking soul leech wouldn't be worth it due to the boss eating up my absorbs before I could build up a nice shield so maybe Dark Regen (for the extra bonus healing during high damage phases) might be nice?

Any input would be welcomed even if it's "this aint gonna work you nub"

Deleted
    All i know the answer to is 3, yes, he throws the one on top of the threat table.

I don't believe you can taunt bosses in DA form? I tried it on LFR Iron Qon and he was immune to the soulshatter taunt. Different in non-LFR?
    Brewmaster Icy-Veins Guide Writer

DA's taunt is the same thing as a pet's growl "taunt"; it won't work on anything that is boss-level. The only fights where DA tanking is really viable is a solo tank fight (spirit kings, etc) because you will not be able to taunt off of the other tank when you need to.
    Warlock Soloing & Progress | FC: 4141-3143-3405 | Metang, Mawile, and Klefki

Quote Originally Posted by jaymzkerten View Post
    DA's taunt is the same thing as a pet's growl "taunt"; it won't work on anything that is boss-level. The only fights where DA tanking is really viable is a solo tank fight (spirit kings, etc) because you will not be able to taunt off of the other tank when you need to.
    It's really frustrating that the only thing that is keeping DA tanking from being a thing are artificial limits placed specifically so we can't. : /

Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    It's really frustrating that the only thing that is keeping DA tanking from being a thing are artificial limits placed specifically so we can't. : /
    I'm right there with you on that. One thing im holding out for is turning warlocks into fullblown tanks in demo spec.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I'm right there with you on that. One thing im holding out for is turning warlocks into fullblown tanks in demo spec.
    Personally prefer a 4th spec for warlock tanks myself, much more likely.

Sadly, the only way you could possibly tank a fight would be if you are using a strategy to one tank it- and even then you would be strugging with threat over dps, ect. Of course, providing that you could generate enough threat to outthreat the highest dps, you would be able to 1 tank most 2 tank fights using yourself and voidwalker, and managing your threat so that you can pulloff voidwalker, and the voidwalker can pull off you when needed, akin to how tank swaps in Vanilla worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Deleted
    Hmmm that's really disappointing.

How come I've managed to tank and hold threat on bosses in heroics with friends from my guild? Is it only raid bosses that can't be taunted?

ugh tank warlocks would end up like monks, totally overpowered embarrassing other tanks, soaking up huge hits for vengeance and making the dps look like a bunch of idiots doing 1/3rd of his dps. it'd take a real lot of work to fix them up other than just simple taunts without them suddenly being THE goto tank.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ItcheeBeard View Post
    Hmmm that's really disappointing.

How come I've managed to tank and hold threat on bosses in heroics with friends from my guild? Is it only raid bosses that can't be taunted?
    5man heroics can't really be compared with anything, my ele shaman can happily solo them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    ugh tank warlocks would end up like monks, totally overpowered embarrassing other tanks, soaking up huge hits for vengeance and making the dps look like a bunch of idiots doing 1/3rd of his dps. it'd take a real lot of work to fix them up other than just simple taunts without them suddenly being THE goto tank.

- - - Updated - - -

5man heroics can't really be compared with anything, my ele shaman can happily solo them all.
    A lot of boss 1 tank strats require bubbling of the tank, without a viable taunt it'd take a hot minute for a DA tank to build back up.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

First off I'd like to say good luck if you get to try it out, sounds fun! For the taunt swap issue I would use some gateway shenanigans have your offtank keep 100% uptime on the port debuff while your tanking and vice-versa (throws might get interesting) but if you can handle that it should be doable. PS: don't underestimate the healing boost you get from Soul Link with your voidlord being able to recieve beacon and direct healing is pretty damn OP.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    A lot of boss 1 tank strats require bubbling of the tank, without a viable taunt it'd take a hot minute for a DA tank to build back up.
    Bubbling or Hand of Protection does not kill your threat, you will simply not have aggro whilst it is up. As soon as the bubble is gone and you fill the criteria of getting aggro (110% more than the person currently having aggro if you're melee, 130% is you're ranged) you'll get aggro back. Your threat stays the same thru the entire ordeal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post

Sadly, the only way you could possibly tank a fight would be if you are using a strategy to one tank it- and even then you would be strugging with threat over dps, ect. Of course, providing that you could generate enough threat to outthreat the highest dps, you would be able to 1 tank most 2 tank fights using yourself and voidwalker, and managing your threat so that you can pulloff voidwalker, and the voidwalker can pull off you when needed, akin to how tank swaps in Vanilla worked.
    The second tank can use demonic gateway to fade threat on to you for tank swaps. It's clunky but works.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlox View Post
    Bubbling or Hand of Protection does not kill your threat, you will simply not have aggro whilst it is up. As soon as the bubble is gone and you fill the criteria of getting aggro (110% more than the person currently having aggro if you're melee, 130% is you're ranged) you'll get aggro back. Your threat stays the same thru the entire ordeal.
    Hand of Salv. Yes, it still exists.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you wanna tank something, hc ji-kun nest guardians are very tankable with DA glyph, at least in 10 man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    If you wanna tank something, hc ji-kun nest guardians are very tankable with DA glyph, at least in 10 man.
    Nest Guardians can easily be tanked with Voildwalker/Voidlord + Soul Link.

Heck, last week I didn't even bother and our ranged group just face tanked the guardian with no problems.