How to make your own UI?

I am pretty new to WoW, and haven't yet made my own UI, but I really would like to, so my question is, where do you start?

- Which programs/addons to download

And from then on is it just to go on my character and start designing?

Hope to get some good advice and not too much flame :P

Re: Make your own UI?

I would recommend starting with Bongos to customize your action bars. Once you've placed your action bars in a comfortable spot, I'd move to unit frames and get Pitbull. After that, you've got a whole slew of things to fiddle around with, including buffs, cooldowns, chat frames, etc.

I'd recommend that you start one addon at a time, to ease confusion. Good luck!

Blizzard unitframes are, in my opinion, very bad, so I always change them first. I use X-Perl; they look good and you can easily customize them as you want.

When that fixed, I'd get SCT addon and FuBar. I like watching things like my mp5 regen, pet dmg and heals, and I dont like "Blizzards way" to show that. FuBar lets you use a FuAddon that shows experience, location and what I need of options for other addons.

On some chars, I get Bartender3 addon to get new actionbar layouts, but mostly I use Blizzard bars.

My UI.

You could try download WowAceDownloader. It shows alot of Ace addons in a list and you can just pick what you want and extremely easy install them.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze
    Blizzard unitframes are, in my opinion, very bad, so I always change them first. I use X-Perl; they look good and you can easily customize them as you want.

When that fixed, I'd get SCT addon and FuBar. I like watching things like my mp5 regen, pet dmg and heals, and I dont like "Blizzards way" to show that. FuBar lets you use a FuAddon that shows experience, location and what I need of options for other addons.

On some chars, I get Bartender3 addon to get new actionbar layouts, but mostly I use Blizzard bars.

My UI.

You could try download WowAceDownloader. It shows alot of Ace addons in a list and you can just pick what you want and extremely easy install them.
    I'd get bartender4 instead of bartender 3 for easier configuration and less cpu/memory usage. And I would definitely get StatBlocks/Fortress instead of fubar seeing as fubar uses an abandoned framework called Rock.

However if you are running a superhighend computer you can ignore my advice.

Re: How to make your own UI?

Thanks for all the good advices, I will start something out soon =)

First of all, you make a concept plan. Draw a sketch , figure out where you want the different elements.

The basic elements you want:

Player (Yourself)
    Target
    Target of Target
    Castbar
    Chat
    Minimap
    Abilities and Consumables (Spells, Attacks, Potions, etc.)
    Pet (warlock/hunter)
    Stances (paladin,warrior,deathknight)

When it's done, it's time to go addon shopping.
    This thread list all the modders choice addons, for creating your own UI http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=8949.0

Basicly, modders choice means it's the most editable addons on the marked.
    Typical you can do with these:

Pitbull (Player,Target,ToT,Pet)
    Quartz (Castbar)
    KgPanels (Background Textures and Panels)
    Chinchilla (Minimap)
    Bartender (Abilities/Potions)

And bang! time to start working. You'll need to spend some hours days on learning the addons, but as with all learning, it's a one time thing.

Just put the nessary time in it, and don't be affraid to ask for help on a forum if nessary -- but please, TRY first. Nobody like a person who haven't spend 5 minutes trying himself.

Creating textures yourself can also be a option, if you're good at photoshop.
    But I'll leave that to someone else to explain, since I suck at creating art.

Some examples by me (on my own, or friends characters):

http://web27190.web08.talkactive.net.../priestui3.jpg
    http://web27190.web08.talkactive.net...lypowernew.jpg
    http://web27190.web08.talkactive.net.../heiganlol.jpg
    http://web27190.web08.talkactive.net..._ui_redone.jpg
    http://web27190.web08.talkactive.net...iorui_june.jpg

I would recommend a shared media addon for fonts and textures, tons of options. GrizzlySharedMedia imo.

Basically what Nezoia said with a small addition.

Figure out what exactly you want. If all you want is a shiny looking interface, then you are probably best off by simply downloading one of the popular designs.

If however, you are looking to improve your gameplay, not by looking at a beautiful interface but a functional one (not to imply the two don't go well together) then figure out what kind of functionality you want and start with that.
    Also, make sure you don't overload yourself with options and information. As general guidelines (subjective opinion) a good interface should do the following:

1. Provide an intuitive layout that is easy on your eyes. Basically that means place stuff depending on where your eyes are at any given time and avoid screaming and too many different colors.

2. Provide information you need when you need it. Do not fall for the common unitframe options trap. Most Unit Frame addons, especially pitbull, offer you a gazillion options of what you can display. Make sure you display only what you need. For instance, what good is a PvP Icon on Raidframes? In a BG everyone is flagged. In a normal raid, you just don't care. Many people have both, classcoloring and classicons. Why?

3. Minimize clutter information. Do you really need everyone's cooldowns, or just the ones that matter?

4. Keep a decent amount of viewspace

5. Keep the number of different fonts and colors to a minimum. You want to *see* information, not decypher it. Classcolors already take up many slots. Make sure you do not add too many more to the list your brain has to keep track of.

6. Provide exactly the amount of visible actionbuttons *you* need and not a single one less. Many people seem to design by an overall look and just place as many action buttons as they can fit within that design. Do not do that. Figure out how many buttons you need (visible ones) and design the rest around that. You can easily make do with more if you have the spare room, but you simply cannot do with less.

7. Last but definately not least: design the interface FOR YOURSELF. Way to many people out there design stuningly beautiful interfaces that are great in screenshots and simply suck in action. Posting a screenshot of your work and getting good feedback and praises is nice, but it's you who has to play with that interface everyday. Make sure it suits your needs and yours only. If someone else happens to have the same needs, great, but don't let it be a factor in the decisions you make.

Have fun designing. Once your hooked, it's hard to let go. You've been warned.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Volcano View Post
    I am pretty new to WoW, and haven't yet made my own UI, but I really would like to, so my question is, where do you start?

- Which programs/addons to download

And from then on is it just to go on my character and start designing?

Hope to get some good advice and not too much flame :P

start with your action bars (i use dominos)
    get your unit frames pimped ( pitbull4)
    some class addons ( look on curse.Com)
    addon that cant be missed : deadly boss mods (old raids etc incl always comes in handy)
    profession addon

if you want a complete startup to play with use tukui or elvui but building yourself learns you alot and when shit happens you know where to look

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaskade View Post
    I would recommend starting with Bongos to customize your action bars. Once you've placed your action bars in a comfortable spot, I'd move to unit frames and get Pitbull. After that, you've got a whole slew of things to fiddle around with, including buffs, cooldowns, chat frames, etc.

I'd recommend that you start one addon at a time, to ease confusion. Good luck!
    bongos is no longer up to date?

Deleted
    5 years and a day. Is that a new record for necroing a thread?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldarian View Post
    start with your action bars (i use dominos)
    get your unit frames pimped ( pitbull4)
    some class addons ( look on curse.Com)
    addon that cant be missed : deadly boss mods (old raids etc incl always comes in handy)
    profession addon

if you want a complete startup to play with use tukui or elvui but building yourself learns you alot and when shit happens you know where to look

- - - Updated - - -

bongos is no longer up to date?
    You might find a lot in this thread, not up to date. Sorry, but if you look at last post from 2008 - this thread just got a necro. Though, if the information is still of use for people, then I don't see a problem. But I think MMO-Champion is against necro'ing - not sure though.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenxion78 View Post
    5 years and a day. Is that a new record for necroing a thread?
    Sure is the highest time difference I've seen.