Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Old Gods and the loss of appeal.

( tl;dr read the last line for the question. I've also tried to avoid some spoilers but go full at it in the posts. )

In Vanilla, there was a certain degree of mystery about the Old Gods. We saw glimpses of what they were capable of doing across the zones. Quests and NPCs would have us have breadcrumbs towards who and what they exactly were. World of Warcraft at this stage was in a fresh time for forging its lore. It had many stories and things to follow from WC3, but WoW began to take its own course for story-telling.

There was an eerie feeling with the Old God story-line. The Lovecraft-inspired baddies made things a lot more complex. Sanity and influence over the mind is a very deep topic, a little heavier than what the usual 'go slay ten boars and save a city' kinda deal. How they were so weaved into Azeroth and sealed there, unable to fully be killed without causing damage to the very planet.

We fought C'thun. We heard his creepy whispers to players.

BC took us into a different route. Not entirely focusing on the Old God story-line. But soon enough. WoTLK came.

Yogg-Saron's plot was wider spread into the questing zones. Ranging from saronite's origin into the open corruption we saw in Grizzly Hills, we as the players were drawn into something deep and terrible. Ulduar reflected this perfectly. Where as AQ rightfully felt like a temple of power, of worship for C'thun the players instead were brought into a prison-like scenario. The deeper we went into Ulduar the more we saw how the Titans tried to contain Yogg-Saron.

Cata hits. The black dragon flight and Deathwing himself are all victims of the Old Gods. We battle against cultists and travel to the Elemental lands of the Old God's lieutenants. Dragonblight falls into corruption and we hints of another named Old God here in Dragon Soul. It's almost too much to take in at once. The zone revamps in certain old-world areas also reflect this.

Then we here with that named Old God and further corruption. But something is lacking. Somewhere and somehow the who mystery, the whole terror of these things got a bit too stale. We're being given another set of breadcrumbs for suggesting the black forest. Yet another thing lurking below. But it's gotten tiring. Has the Old God corruption or story-line in general lost its appealing touch? Granted, I'm happy we are being told some origins. It just feels like the story has been done too many times and too open about it as well.

Are you pleased with the Old Gods and the corruption stories we have now? Has it gotten better or worse would you say?
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

I'm interested in the Old Gods still I'm just sick of them corrupting people/things and making them into bad guys. I think Pandaria is doing a good job so far, the old god is dead but we're still getting back story and Garrosh is going to use their power without being corrupted supposedly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsoney View Post
    I'm interested in the Old Gods still I'm just sick of them corrupting people/things and making them into bad guys. I think Pandaria is doing a good job so far, the old god is dead but we're still getting back story and Garrosh is going to use their power without being corrupted supposedly.
    Supposedly. I know it's been stated Garrosh isn't 'corrupt' but... It's very hard to think of him has anything but corrupted.

Yeah I agree, I hope they really drive the point in that he is using the power on his own accord.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsoney View Post
    Yeah I agree, I hope they really drive the point in that he is using the power on his own accord.
    After seeing what they let Gorehowl become, I'd be very surprised if he wasn't just foaming at the mouth going 'MOOOOORE POOOOWER RAGWRGAWRFB FOR THE TRUE HORDE'.

Deleted
    i think the difference with garrosh is that he decided himself that he will become corrupt by an old god, whereas other stories have the person slowly being corrupted against their will.

but to answer your question, i am always looking forward to more news and lore on old gods and welcome it at any time.

10+ Year Old Account
    We've dealt with the old gods for three expansions.

Time to give them a rest for a while.

If you want to ask what "hurt" the old gods appearance-wise, it was Cataclysm. Deathwing, a previously masterful schemer and all around extremely powerful individual and supposed "villain" of the expansion is resolved to being some crazed old god lackey with the personality of any Saturday morning cartoon henchman. Then we deal with the Twilight's cult EVERYWHERE; a group with almost zero personality with shapeless, formless ranks with no real goal in mind other than doing bad stuff. And all of these cartoonish entities are supposedly serving one of the most powerful and sinister forces on all of Azeroth?

And think of what we had seen of the old gods prior to Cataclysm... the slow, subtle realization of their broad corruption, the layers up layers of their schemes, and the abject power they had merely via their indirect influence. And then look at Cataclysm... the old gods straight-up TRY to destroy the world, but then fail almost utterly and completely.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanzlee View Post
    i think the difference with garrosh is that he decided himself that he will become corrupt by an old god, whereas other stories have the person slowly being corrupted against their will.

but to answer your question, i am always looking forward to more news and lore on old gods and welcome it at any time.
    I suppose that's true. Unless we maybe count Cho'gall?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you ask me, Cata/MoP ruined the Old Gods by turning them from this mystery force that if released would destroy Azeroth into this half-destroyed force of has-beens that can't even hold a dragon together let alone conquer Azeroth.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I did think that MoP did it more subtle then Cata, maybe ppl have theories again. Cata was too much in my mind, we were so close to N'zoth, yet so far away, without really learning anything. I love anything Lovecraft, but I want things more subtle, like they did ulduar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

If you want to ask what "hurt" the old gods appearance-wise, it was Cataclysm. Deathwing, a previously masterful schemer and all around extremely powerful individual and supposed "villain" of the expansion is resolved to being some crazed old god lackey with the personality of any Saturday morning cartoon henchman. Then we deal with the Twilight's cult EVERYWHERE; a group with almost zero personality with shapeless, formless ranks with no real goal in mind other than doing bad stuff. And all of these cartoonish entities are supposedly serving one of the most powerful and sinister forces on all of Azeroth?

And think of what we had seen of the old gods prior to Cataclysm... the slow, subtle realization of their broad corruption, the layers up layers of their schemes, and the abject power they had merely via their indirect influence. And then look at Cataclysm... the old gods straight-up TRY to destroy the world, but then fail almost utterly and completely.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head for what Cata rubbed me so wrong for the Old God plot. It's a shame too. We got nothing decent on N'zoth.

The old gods are generic big bads who all have the same personality, which is that of a boiled potato. Even the legion has better personalities for christ sake.

They are already way overdone and Blizzard should really focus the games attention elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    If you ask me, Cata/MoP ruined the Old Gods by turning them from this mystery force that if released would destroy Azeroth into this half-destroyed force of has-beens that can't even hold a dragon together let alone conquer Azeroth.
    I'm in agreement with these two.

I would like an expansion without direct old god involvement.

But it is highly unlikely.

I would like either no old god involvement or full on war with them. I feel like blizzard keeps dabbling into them but never really puts any potential towards them and it's all created a sour taste of emptiness and being repeated. I would love to "kill" an old god and his whole army, but fight his entire being, no matter how big it is.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The difference with Garrosh is he OPENLY ACCEPTS and is responsible for his own corruption. Instead of the whispers slowly driving the victim mad.

That, I am perfectly fine with.

Cataclysm I think set Old God lore back. We just got sick of it, it was everywhere and without any Old God interaction. We got all of the lore shoved down our throats and no payoff.

10+ Year Old Account
    they were never meant to be a direct force.... cata made them and gave them the tools to not be all that scary........

i mean deathwing was just ROAR! he was not even interesting despite his lore! The cultists were a joke other than cho'gall. They could have done so much more, but failed to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find them boring as hell. We can't kill them like any other antagonist, so we basically spank them when they get uppity and put them in timeout. They've got no personality or depth to them and in a world of contrived references, the only one more obvious is Harrison Jones (who would probably be a better antagonist).
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Didn't they retcon it to say that old gods are intergalactic beings rather than native to azeroth?

In b4 sargeras is actually a minion of N'zoth

Though it would be kinda cool if the nathrezim were worshipping an old god, and that old god is the source of fel energy, which ultimately led sargeras down this path.
    Last edited by Wazooty; 2013-07-24 at 02:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazooty View Post
    Didn't they retcon it to say that old gods are intergalactic beings rather than native to azeroth?

In b4 sargeras is actually a minion of N'zoth

Though it would be kinda cool if the nathrezim were worshipping an old god, and that old god is the source of fel energy.
    I don't think I've seen anything official on that line.

Although I definitely prefer YS's story to N'zoth and Y'Shaarj. YS is freaking awesome.