Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hammer is always useful when you are clumped every now and then for at least 10 seconds, the most common fights being:

magaera - every rampage (at least every second, depending on how quick you kill the adds
    tortos - every bats
    jinrokh (well, only normal mode) - every storm
    Iron Qon - P1 and 4 when you are stacked
    and for trash.

Prism is especially useful when you are not clumped, but need some aoe heal quickly

jinrokh hc - after every static burst (the only HC I know so far )
    tortos - after every stomp
    jikun - quills
    durumu - maze phase (you are clumped, but you are moving -> hammer = bad)
    primordius - all throughout the fight, everyone is spread out and moving
    animus - after jolt
    twins - in P2 when people are dodging the waves
    lei shen - pretty much all the time except for the transition phases.

other than that, when in doubt, prism. reason being - it still works when people are clumped, but hammer doesn't work when they are not. and with high vengeance, it crits for up to 450k on a single player (=> roughly 200k non crit). which is a damn lot.

execution sentence is only useful when you don't give a damn about aoe heal at all and you want to buff your dps.
    Last edited by xebtria; 2013-06-14 at 09:39 AM.

Will argue against hammer on IQ, simply because it's not up enough in the last phase (only 1 in 3 smashes) versus every smash for HPr. But the fight is pretty trivial anyhow, so you can make a case for both I suppose.

I will also aruge against HPr on Tortos, simply because 1) it won't splash heal enough, and 2) LH is up for every "call turtles" (until 20%) to provide a snare. Usually good for Bat damage too.

But yeah, only fights I use LH:
    1) Council - great for cleaving when Sul and Malakk are stacked (and when Marli or Kaz come in range), AND good CD for melee when bursting on empowered Kaz
    2) Tortos - As above, good snare.
    3) Meg - Dem rampages.

Everything else, I find I get better use from HPr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

I would assume during progression that if should be used off cooldown unless large amounts of damage are incoming. In that case if should be saved to help healers.

Quote Originally Posted by Choob View Post
    I would assume during progression that if should be used off cooldown unless large amounts of damage are incoming. In that case if should be saved to help healers.
    It should most certainly not be used off cooldown on progression. It should be used situationally. When isn't there a large amount of damage incoming during progression?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xebtria View Post
    lei shen - pretty much all the time except for the transition phases.
    actually it's awesome even in transition for add handling/minor healing

and to add my 2cents, i used prism on most progression(hc) fights(exceptions being qon,magera with LH and tortos with ES)
    nowadays i'm too lazy to switch talents when not mandatory so i run with prism pretty much all the time - it's always useful

When you are low health and healers have no mana

Infracted. Please post constructively that adds value. ~Fhi
    Last edited by Fhi; 2013-06-17 at 10:20 PM.

Deleted
    We just cleared HC Consorts, and I actually found LH really useful there.
    Primarily in the first phase, when we had to deal with the adds.
    But it was also somewhat helpful later in healing the Infernos,
    especially since we had to eat the first with CDs typically.

he didnt ask which one more fun , he want to know which one can help more

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hossam View Post
    he didnt ask which one more fun , he want to know which one can help more
    I yet fail to find the word "fun" in the whole thread, or any hint to it.
    So... I'm certainly confused.

I have a macro that targets myself, casts the Holy Prism, then re-targets my last target.
    That way I give myself a quick heal and then have snap-aggro up to 5 bad guys around me.
    I'm a fan of it.
    Raiders of the Lost Ark (Cael) is recruiting! Add me to your RealID list (Battle Tag: Fredgalielin#6654)! Looking for raiders for 2 nights a week. Flasks, Food & guild repairs on raid night. Help with gems, enchants & crafted gear!

Deleted
    I've read the recommendations to use LH as a snare on Tortos, but was under-whelmed when I tried it. The snare effect did not seem very marked or long lasting, and sometimes I was too preoccupied with bats to focus on keeping on eye out for incoming turtles.

Conversely, I do find Holy Prism great for initial targeting of the bats. I'm not sure if it is longer range than J or AS, but it feels as if it is usable sooner. It only aggros one, but orients me in the right direction (I use a targeting macro) so I can use HW and Cons to get the rest.

Prism is 40 yards. Most other stuff we have is 30. So it's good for long fangs acting as well as all the valid things already mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by sandspally View Post
    I have a macro that targets myself, casts the Holy Prism, then re-targets my last target.
    That way I give myself a quick heal and then have snap-aggro up to 5 bad guys around me.
    I'm a fan of it.
    I'd suggest a macro with a modifier, so that you can cast it at the enemy target for the big damage and splash heal (for bosses), or hit shift/ctrl/etc and it auto casts at you for the bigger heal and splash damage. The splash healing is far more useful on ST fights, whereas the AOE dmg is great for adds/trash, so this makes it a nice, compact package.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    I've read the recommendations to use LH as a snare on Tortos, but was under-whelmed when I tried it. The snare effect did not seem very marked or long lasting, and sometimes I was too preoccupied with bats to focus on keeping on eye out for incoming turtles.

Conversely, I do find Holy Prism great for initial targeting of the bats. I'm not sure if it is longer range than J or AS, but it feels as if it is usable sooner. It only aggros one, but orients me in the right direction (I use a targeting macro) so I can use HW and Cons to get the rest.
    The snare is only 2sec, applied as often as they are in range, so it usually only gives ~4-5 seconds of snaring on the turtles, depending on where you place it. I drop it right by his face, seems to work well. It's on a 1min CD (same as Call Turtle), so it's pretty easy to time/watch: "if it's coming off CD, throw it at his face". It also coincides with ~60-70% of bats, which is nice.

HPr I find terribly lackluster here, as it can only hit a max of 5 bats. However, the aggro of HPr is nice, as it's currently buggy and will aggro all mobs around the primary target (when cast at a hostile), even if they are neutral. So, with it's 40y range, it IS a good way to piss off the bats early. Do note that with moderate veng levels, LH and BH/passive healing aggro will also do the job 9.5 times out of 10. But def use what works for you.
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    20k and counting...

Personally I've always seen HPr as the better talent for Prots in almost every fight, bar the odd circumstantial encounter, ie Ra-Den, LS & Mag. At least for progression, ES is the clear outright DPS increase for boosting rankings.

Do you guys tend to use Holy Prism with a macro or something to determine if it's used on yourself or on your target? I've been experimenting with it for fights where I don't need LH, but I'm not sure if I should want to use it on myself for a better self heal or on my target for less healing to more people.

Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    Do you guys tend to use Holy Prism with a macro or something to determine if it's used on yourself or on your target? I've been experimenting with it for fights where I don't need LH, but I'm not sure if I should want to use it on myself for a better self heal or on my target for less healing to more people.
    Is there one enemy target? Shoot the enemy.
    Is there one enemy target and I am dying? Shoot the enemy and man up.
    Is there more than one enemy target? Is one of those more important to kill? Shoot it at that enemy.
    Is there more than one enemy target? Are they all just getting cleaved? Splash it.
    Is there more than one enemy target and I am dying? Shoot the enemy and man up.

I don't think I've ever used HPr to try and snipe a heal on someone in a raid setting. If some one (or ones) are low, I just shoot the boss and it splashes at them all. If someone is REALLY low, that's why we have LOH. The only times I'd think to use HPr as a DPS splash in a raid setting, it's usually MORE beneficial to just shoot the focus target and help cover some heals (like P3 HC LS to clean up adds/balls, for example).

The only time I really ever use a self-casted HPr is when I'm soloing stuff like Dino's for bones or something. Otherwise, the extra damage works better and the heal is still pretty stout. You could make a case for self-casting for splash to get snap-aggro on adds or something I guess, but that's pretty niche and rarely an issue in a raid setting.
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    I use it especially for Tortos, because with the Holy Prism i can get the initial Aggro of the Bats when they appear.

Its much easier to handle them for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    Is there one enemy target? Shoot the enemy.
    Is there one enemy target and I am dying? Shoot the enemy and man up.
    Is there more than one enemy target? Is one of those more important to kill? Shoot it at that enemy.
    Is there more than one enemy target? Are they all just getting cleaved? Splash it.
    Is there more than one enemy target and I am dying? Shoot the enemy and man up.

I don't think I've ever used HPr to try and snipe a heal on someone in a raid setting. If some one (or ones) are low, I just shoot the boss and it splashes at them all. If someone is REALLY low, that's why we have LOH. The only times I'd think to use HPr as a DPS splash in a raid setting, it's usually MORE beneficial to just shoot the focus target and help cover some heals (like P3 HC LS to clean up adds/balls, for example).

The only time I really ever use a self-casted HPr is when I'm soloing stuff like Dino's for bones or something. Otherwise, the extra damage works better and the heal is still pretty stout. You could make a case for self-casting for splash to get snap-aggro on adds or something I guess, but that's pretty niche and rarely an issue in a raid setting.
    I'd say that in that case it's best to splash it.
    But personally i go by the :
    Do i want to make it easier on healers ? Shoot the enemy
    Do i want to slightly scumbag dps ? Splash

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    I'd say that in that case it's best to splash it.
    I'd say that's an option, but considering the vast amount of ways we have to not die, you're basically self targetting for a slightly bigger heal on you, versus hostile targetting for 4x heals to raid AND a heal to yourself.

But personally i go by the :
    Do i want to make it easier on healers ? Shoot the enemy
    Do i want to slightly scumbag dps ? Splash
    That's accurate as well, and/or related to my point above.
    20k and counting...

Have to agree with Nairobi, there's a very small niche for when you actually want to use HPr on yourself & I mean VERY small, even with Tortos HC I'd still rather use it on Tortos to help top off my shell shield before the bats arrive, also gives a bit extra healing aggro if they're spawning.
    Yes I use HPr instead of LH on Tortos but that's because the CD of LH doesn't intertwine well with the CD on bats.