Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Just started GW2, pretty disappointment so far. possible to get some pointers?

Like the title said. I just started PLAYING GW2. So far all I have done is lvl a couple of characters to 10-12 before I got bored.

First thing. I often find myself w/o any quests to do, and I'm forced to wait on events to happen so I can level to do more quests. Is it really supposed to be like this? Having to just sit and wait for things to happen is mainly the only reason I got bored.

Is there anything else to do?
    Pvp is not an option, mainly because I don't like to do PVP before I really understand how the game works, even yet play my own class properly.
    also, no big fan of farming. Farming is something I would consider doing when I actually got a pretty nice overview on the game, know what to do and so on. Having to farm in such a low level because you don't have any quest or storyline to follow due to the fact that I'm forced to wait for events or something similiar is nothing but a huge disappointment

Sorry about the crappy English, as you can see not my mother tongue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was never really impressed by GW2 myself. All I can remember from 20-30 was doing professions to get exp.
    And besides that, I just never really liked the game but I guess it's all personal preference *Shrug*

Stood in the Fire ArMeD_SuRvIvOr's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I find myself in the same position. It's kinda... dull? I dunno how to put it. I tried PvP too, but I got a full set of gear and got leveled up temporarily when I got into a battleground or w/e they are called in GW2... what's the drive to gear up in this game then? Got instantly bored. I dunno how to keep myself attached to this game really.
    Really sucks if they start to limit their vision for an expansion just to get the next one out faster.
    BLOOD DPS. Never forget. Still campaigning to get you back, babe.

Hearts are designed to be the 'filler' zone content between events while leveling.

Also, try speaking to scouts whenever you reach a new area. They provide visual and helpful information about what's going on in their vicinity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uninstall, it's not a very good game. I highly recommend World of Warcraft, it's the greatest game ever created.

Really GW2 is all about exploring. You wander around in the zones finding the different 'quest hubs' and doing the stuff there/near there. It's a totally different experience from the typical questing. If you can't get into that then yeah the games not going to be very fun. I lvl'd a few toons in GW2 and I don't remember having to travel around a lot, basiclly I was able to stay in the 'human' zones and just lvl to cap on those. But it is very possible to travel to the different lands and do quests/events there for xp.

The game has a very heavy emphasis on exploration. If you can embrace that then it's easy. If you can't well... you'll probably have a bad time.

There is always some form of Champion / Event / Rare Spawn or something going on in the zone you're in, so just ask in /map for what is happening, and you'll soon find yourself with plenty to do.

The game is nothing like World of Warcraft, don't rush the leveling process because that is literally the most exciting and adventurous part of the Guild Wars PvE. Of course there is plenty to do at 80, no doubt, but Guild Wars is much more of a PvP game, then a PvE Game. There are no raids like those in WoW, and you must remember you're not staring at your U.I. like in WoW.

You don't ever need to farm, or gather anything to level, but it is a nice little trickle of experience overtime. If you're running out of things to do, it is probably just because you've not learnt enough about the Map, to know where to look for exciting events.

However, Guild Wars is not for everyone. WoW has very much set in stone the mindset of some individuals as to what an MMO should be like, and Guild Wars is just not the same. It takes time to get used too, it really does, but if you stick with it, and play it full time like you would WoW, I guarantee within a month, you'll be hooked!

Edit; I've not reached level 80 yet, I'm only around 59 or something, but I've also only done about 25% of the world map. I've done a dungeon or two as well, but there is just SO much to do, so many events, quests, stories, and just little adventures that the game really feels like a living breathing world, unlike WoW where once you out-level a zone, you'll never go back.

tried talking to scouts when coming to a new area. but it's so..boring. looks like such an amazing game. But I just can't talk myself into spending so much time waiting. doing crafting and so on when I just want to experience the game.

Such a shame things like that is a turn off for more people that have tried it from after what I've heard so far, for something that could be such an amazing game...

Deleted
    Those 'quests' are now hearts. Only the difference is you can choose to do them or leave them be. You're not forced to do them.
    Exploring is one of the ways to level your character. Also lately we've got websites with timers to see when bosses and dragons are supposed to land, and on wiki you can find where chain events are happening.

There is a ton to do. You can craft, do WvW, explore, finish jumping puzzles or dungeons. And that's not even half of it.
    Also joining a guild can help you to find the better sides of the game.

Hope this helps you a bit. All I can say is 'don't give up' since I do agree that leveling is kind of boring.

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterAU View Post
    Uninstall, it's not a very good game. I highly recommend World of Warcraft, it's the greatest game ever created.
    asked about pointers. Please don't bring up unrelated topics. Allready played WOW for several years, still do. Just got bored of it. Looking for something new. GW2 looked like a great game to try out. Just the leveling experience ruined it.

You don't need to wait on events. GW2 emphasizes a lot on exploration, where you find the "Heart" events on the map and clear those out. Farming is minimal, in fact mob farming is discouraged in GW2 because there's diminishing returns on the drop rate after a certain amount of kills.

Personally I found my favorite parts in GW2 were the skill challenges, platforming sections, and mini dungeons. The combat isn't particularly engaging, but the game is worth exploring. If you're really into end game raiding you won't find that in GW2, PvE content is generally 5 man dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbleed View Post
    Those 'quests' are now hearts. Only the difference is you can choose to do them or leave them be. You're not forced to do them.
    Exploring is one of the ways to level your character. Also lately we've got websites with times to see when bosses and dragons are supposed to land, and on wiki you can find where chain events are happening.

There is a ton to do. You can craft, do WvW, explore, finish jumping puzzles or dungeons.
    Also joining a guild can help you to find the better sides of the game.

Hope this helps you a bit. All I can say is 'don't give up' since I do agree that leveling is kind of boring.
    The questing thing is actually the part I like. The exploring part not so much due to that everytime I barely set my foot out of the questing zones without backtracking I get killed by higher level mobs most of the time. So I'm mainly back to farming.

- - - Updated - - -

Mainly, the part that get's me bored. is the fact that I often have nothing to do. exploring is fun, but not rewarding. also, you do explore if you just follow quests, talk to scouts and so on. But you don't get enough XP to keep on lvling without waiting, and then wait some more for events to happen.

The waiting part kinda ruin the experience.

Yeah I was disappointed as well. It's sad because I actually loved exploring that game and the art was incredible, but the gameplay itself wasn't my bag.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Games Fine. I just go where my Friends go.. and that right now's actually a little tough - But all in all, GW2 serves it's purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Yeah I was disappointed as well. It's sad because I actually loved exploring that game and the art was incredible, but the gameplay itself wasn't my bag.
    yeah, I feel the same. such a shame really, seems like an amazing game. well, off to find something else I guess.

Not sure why you are having such difficulty.. some people just don't know how to play this game it seems.. it's a little different. I would go from heart to heart while doing any events in between I happened to come across I would also gather all the resources I saw (they provide exp too) I would 100% complete each zone so that was a bit of extra XP as well then I would usually do my story quest. I never had any problems and I was usually always down leveled.

Hearts events resources fully explore map story mode or go to another races starting zone etc.. impossible to be under leveled if you go do other lower level zones you skipped

10+ Year Old Account
    The only "Quests" in the game are the heart events. I haven't played in a while but I leveled 1-80 almost 100% from exploring zones. I think I did about 1 hour of WvWvW before 80. The only times I remember having any trouble at all was from 17-20 I felt like things were out leveling me and I couldn't find anything else my level. I think that is when I did WvWvW. Secondly was from 70-75 but there were non stop event farm groups in the 70-75 zone for Karma and I leveled very quickly with them. Then I realized that 70-80 snow zone existed and leveled the rest there easily. If I did it again I would probably do much more pvp though, as I feel that PvP is the core of the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by axaklelie View Post
    The questing thing is actually the part I like. The exploring part not so much due to that everytime I barely set my foot out of the questing zones without backtracking I get killed by higher level mobs most of the time. So I'm mainly back to farming.

- - - Updated - - -

Mainly, the part that get's me bored. is the fact that I often have nothing to do. exploring is fun, but not rewarding. also, you do explore if you just follow quests, talk to scouts and so on. But you don't get enough XP to keep on lvling without waiting, and then wait some more for events to happen.

The waiting part kinda ruin the experience.
    You can try going into other starting area's. When you go to Lions Arch you're able to enter the other starting zones. You've got the Charr, Asura, Norn, Sylvari and Human starter zones. Have you tried this yet?

Farming is only useful when you're 80, in dungeons or around in Orr (lvl 80 area) - or at least, what I'd recommend. The chances you get rares in a starter area are pretty much zero.
    I guess you have to get trough the nasty part for a bit, but once you're past that, and got the hang of it, I'm sure you'll be able to enjoy the better parts of GW2. It took me a small week to find out there's more than just leveling =)
    Last edited by mmocd7e9667945; 2013-07-26 at 09:42 PM.

Get out of the WoW mindset.

Explore, do a variety of things. It's not a race to max level. Cool content is in every zone. There's no quest tracker in the game because it's not that sort of game.

Quote Originally Posted by axaklelie View Post
    tried talking to scouts when coming to a new area. but it's so..boring. looks like such an amazing game. But I just can't talk myself into spending so much time waiting
    The game isn't about rushing though, which is the main point you're missing. If you're not going to watch the Vista cut scenes, listen to the scouts, or sit through the NPC chats in towns, then I wouldn't bother with Guild Wars, because that is what it is about.

Taking your time in a real vibrant and living world, rather then; "Go get me 973,837,837 pig asses"