Page 1 of 2
LastLast

My love for GW2 is rekindled, but what's up with the motion sickness...?

I tried and discarded GW2 quite some time ago as a game not worth spending any time on considering the endgame. I also had a setup which wouldn't let me enjoy the game properly without fps drops and stutter. Lion's Arch was just a blur, to give you an idea.

However, 2 weeks ago I got a new i7 something-something processor and together with my already upgraded graphics card and all that jazz, GW2 has become a joy to play performance-wise! Since my account got hacked and my very first toon ruined by the hacker (leveled to 74), I decided to start over and switched home server. Now I have another, quite worrying problem...when I play for an extended amount of time, even just a fraction of what I spend in front of say the PS3-games or WoW or TS3, I get motion sick...le what? I can't relate it to anything but the game itself, and I have no idea what it is causing it. I have a faint memory of this being discussed when I was still keeping track of the game after release, but cannot remember if they ever figured out if it's a game issue or player issue...?

What can I do to stop this from happening? Even taking a 15 minute break every hour doesn't help, the motion sickness just builds up and blooms into a magnificent headache if I press on. Even after 30 minutes of moving and being in combat it'll start. I'll never reach 80 at this rate, that's for sure.

If that was my intent with the sig, then one could say it worked on you no? It's not though, you shouldn't make sweeping generalizations about strangers and their intentions like that ;d.

Thanks for the tip about the camera though, gonna try for a session and see if it does the trick.

Totally off topic, but I found the sig amusing. I'd perhaps remove the "How nice", and maybe highlight it by putting it in italics.

Never had a problem with motion sickness in GW2, but I haven't played it in a while, so I don't know. How's your frame rate?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Totally off topic, but I found the sig amusing. I'd perhaps remove the "How nice", and maybe highlight it by putting it in italics.

Never had a problem with motion sickness in GW2, but I haven't played it in a while, so I don't know. How's your frame rate?
    That's the point of the sig, I can' account for people feeling offended/targeted so...meh. :P

As for frame rate, it's 60. 50 can be in more populated areas, but it never feels "weird" on the eyes. What screen do you have? Mine is a regular square flatscreen. Someone whispered me in-game saying it might be due to that?

Deleted
    It's possible your resolution is causing it due to the screen size. I vaguely recall people having issues with motion sickness linked to their field of view on GW2. You could try adjusting the resolution to a wider ratio or failing that consider a different screen size altogether, ideally widescreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    PvE players are all entitled whiners who play ezmode stuff because anything else is beyond the limit of their abilities. Especially LFR and normal mode heroes.

WOAH, WOAH, don't get offended. Sheesh. Just making an amusing statement. =)
    Because other people running around is guaranteed difficulty! Also, WoW terms are bad, shoo.

* Waves hands

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I have a faint memory of this being discussed when I was still keeping track of the game after release, but cannot remember if they ever figured out if it's a game issue or player issue...?
    I remember the lack of a Field of View slider in the game options being mentioned around the time of the second Beta weekend event. Incorrectly set FoV may cause motion sickness.

What can I do to stop this from happening?
    Personally I cannot play with Post Processing turned on at any setting in Guild Wars 2; the over-kill bloom effect causes me to constantly squint my eyes, and leads to a headache after a period of time. If it is motion sickness you are experiencing, you could try adjusting the distance you sit from the monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had this problem with Half Life 2. It was the only game that nauseated me after 10 minutes. Changing the FoV didn't help at all. It could be one of those really random games that makes you nauseous. Try fiddling around the settings - your newly upgraded machine may cause some previously-unknown effect to mess with your brain. Try putting everything on lowest setting for example. I hope you find the cause.

Well, I turned down some settings, among those the Post processing and, knock on wood, it seems to have worked...I played for 50 minutes earlier, and did not feel anything weird at all. Thanks for the replies! <3.

PvE players are all entitled whiners who play ezmode stuff because anything else is beyond the limit of their abilities. Especially LFR and normal mode heroes.

WOAH, WOAH, don't get offended. Sheesh. Just making an amusing statement. =)
    I don't get offended, because I don't recognize myself in your statements...just food for thought there. .

Either way, just get over it and move on.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, you're not allowed to get offended because I said that I wasn't trying to offend you!
    Again. See above.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2013-07-30 at 03:03 AM.

How to create a giant bitchfest in 3 posts: The step-by-step walkthrough!

Seriously.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I turned down some settings, among those the Post processing and, knock on wood, it seems to have worked...I played for 50 minutes earlier, and did not feel anything weird at all. Thanks for the replies! <3.
    Glad you sorted it out! Let us know if it works for longer periods too, I'm curious to see if settings really did play a part.

Brilliant.
    "Hey, I made an insulting, sweeping generalization about you, and if that's offensive it's because it's true!"
    Don't bother mate, PvE'rs don't have the brain capacity to predict/understand how people will react. This is not an insult, just a statement to make other PvP'rs laugh!

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a lot of complaints about motion sickness at launch, I still don't see it. Then again I've played FPS games all my life at high sensitivity. I doubt there's much you can do about it except get used to it :3

Sort of funny that you mention motion sickness. I recently enabled the holo dragon wings on my character's backpiece but turned it off after a couple of days because the flapping of the wings was making me feel vaguely nauseous.

Well...it didn't sort things out long-term. After playing for 40 hours, going away and then coming back for a 50 minute session the problems came back. I guess I'll have to look at getting a new screen in the future, + get used to the "feel" of GW2 movement and such. Thanks for the replies though!

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Don't bother mate, PvE'rs don't have the brain capacity to predict/understand how people will react. This is not an insult, just a statement to make other PvP'rs laugh!
    And I'm sure it does, since it's a very common saying among pure pvpers.

You people are just trying to start drama. Don't be so overly sensitive would be my pro tip for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    The primary cause of motion sickness in GW2 was the incredibly low FoV (field of view) and ANet sort of addressed that in the final version by allowing you to zoom out a little bit further from your character. But it's still NOTHING compared to the sheer flexiblity of WoW's camera (especially zoom distance)...I still maintain WoW's camera+controls are easily some of the best that exist in any game, period.

GW2's camera is still a bit claustrophobic for my likes, I used to get headaches after like 30 mins...but after so many hours of playing I've simply got used to it. Disabling camera shake and enabling free camera helped, it completely stops the camera moving around without your input. Not going to disable Post Processing because that's where a lot of the effects come from, and I wouldn't be doing my GTX780 justice if everything wasn't maxed :P

I think they're not allowing further camera zoom to increase the "suspense" in PvP so you can't easily see what is around the corner or over the wall since many PvP maps have that aspect. Fair enough I guess.

Off topic, seriously, nothing pisses me off more in a game when developers fuck-up the FoV. Especially when porting console games to PC. Console gamers typically sit quite a distance away from their TV and it only takes a small portion of their vision (their peripherals are clear), so around 55-60 degrees FoV is fine for them.
    But PC gamers sit less than 2 feet away from their monitor, it takes up a FAR bigger portion of their vision and extends into their peripherals...they need at least 70-80 degrees FoV, preferably adjustible to 90-100 degrees.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    I think they're not allowing further camera zoom to increase the "suspense" in PvP so you can't easily see what is around the corner or over the wall since many PvP maps have that aspect.
    It has more to do with WvW siege balance. Viewhacks are quite "popular" for this very reason and make the notion of "fortress" laughable since you can just aim over the wall or hill that's put there on purpose.

Someone mentioned fov being a problem, you can check out this thread:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...nges-Beta-Test

Also you said you got a new PC, perhaps the frame rate being higher is whats getting you motion sick. Make sure that you have vsync enabled. Check what your frame rate is. Different people get motion sick at different Frames per second. So it would at least be a starting point

Might be slightly off topic: I have never felt motion sick or any kind of sickness (As in getting dizzy on a boat etc) in my life.
    What I have noticed however, extended playing of GW2 makes me extremely sleepy.
    Before you dismiss this as a troll/bash post, let me tell you that I love this game, it's just what I have experienced. Could this be this motion sickness people are talking about?
    Last edited by Marthenil; 2013-08-01 at 05:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Count_Satyros View Post
    Might be slightly off topic: I have never felt motion sick or any kind of sickness (As in getting dizzy on a boat etc) in my life.
    What I have noticed however, extended playing of GW2 makes me extremely sleepy.
    Before you dismiss this as a troll/bash post, let me tell you that I love this game, it's just what I have experienced. Could this be this motion sickness people are talking about?
    Motion sickness really covers a massive range of causes and symptoms.

You could be feeling sleepy simply as a by-product of your eyes and brain getting exhausted of all that movement, particle effects, colors, etc. GW2 is seriously effects-heavy if you have your settings turned up, especially if multiple people are on your screen (World encounters/Dungeons/WvW/PvP) and it becomes impossible to tell what the hell is going on past the explosions/rainbows. I'm glad they're rolling out a fix in the next patch it tones down the effects if a single enemy is being engaged by multiple people so you can at least spot the dodge cues.

Alternatively you could be experiencing a mild form of motion sickness, where your eyes/brain aren't exactly enjoying the experience (trying to shut down) but it's not bad enough to cause you headaches or nausea.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze