Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by madassa648 View Post
    You're not a special snowflake who has something uber unique and can stand around outside the AH showing it off now. Oh well. Moving on.
    That's what I hear from most of the "But it isn't REALLY legendary!" crowd. What is it, then? An uncommon? An epic? It isn't rare, but the item quality is classified as legendary. Rarity and quality are 2 different thing and don't always go hand in hand.

Depends on how you look at the game.

When I play through WoW, I look at it as -MY- character is the one that completed the quests and killed the bosses and is the one refereed to when "the adventurer" gets refereed to in quests or lore.

If I see somebody else hanging around in a questing zone...well, he's just "some guy that's hanging around". Likewise, when my character got his 5.3 cloak, -MY- character is Wrathion's champion, and is the one that got the Celestial blessed cloak. Those other people I see in Stormwind? Nope, they didn't get it, because -I- did.

Legendary means the item is just that. It DOES NOT mean "exclusive to a few". I really don't get why the game needs to have stuff feel exclusive, its a game for fun, not a tool to make you feel special.

This design is so much better as it means we all get to experience the storyline. I was a bit annoyed when I did the 1st stage of the Firelands legendary, for example, which was really cool!...but then I realized that unless I came back much later, I was going to miss out on experiencing the cool story stuff. (If you're going to claim every single person in your raid team was able to have the legendary fully farmed up before Dragonsoul, I'll show you a person that's lying)

Same for Fangs of the father. Reading about it just isn't the same as playing it. Hell, as my main is a Warrior, I felt a little put out that Wrathion had no history with my toon, because of the design of the Legendary. Now when Wrathion pops up again in future xpacs, we all know who he is. Not just peeps like us (face it, the fact that you come to a WoW forum means you probabaly care enough to bother reading up on stuff like the Dragonsoul legendary), but all the "normal" players too.

AT the end of the day, you just need to approach stuff like the WoW storyline from a single player approach. Your character did all the things, killed all the bosses. The raids? That wasn't every wow player ever, that was "you and your friends".

At the end of the day, no matter how hard something is made, there is always going to be someone else who achieves it. And then the next patch comes along and nobody cares about whatever it was you did anymore.
    Last edited by Icaras; 2013-07-31 at 08:52 AM.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    What I'm trying to say is: Blizzard absolutely ruined legendary items, in my eyes. It used to feel epic when you could go all like "FU Ragnaros, now I got your weapon! HA!".
    It was not legendary when you got it from sheer dumb luck.
    Dropped legendaries could be received for a fraction of the effort someone else puts in, who should by right be way more worthy of it.
    People add a meaning to rarity where there isn't one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    What?

By Sunwell, everyone that could wield Glaives in my raid comp had them. Same with TFury and Sulf by the time we finished BWL.

The good guilds that stuck together like mine considered it a normal part of getting best in slot.
    I call bullshit on TFury by the time you ended BWL, just no way. It took my guild over one year to get a single binding, there is no way you got all your tanks, fury warrs and rogues all these drops.

Liar.

Even trying to compare the effort those old legendaries required to the cloak, proves how dumb you are.

I got my mainhand warglaive at my 1st illidan kill in 2008 it felt so god damn legendary but the sad part is that i got offhand 4 years later february 2012 so ye pure luck is not rly what should define legendary items , on the other hand i still love the warglaives and i still get to use them in raid once a hour with the mirror image item u take from rare mobs in pandaria.

Now i rng is bad in order to get legendary if u have to wait 4ever to get them but then again the current system is not good either is actually horrible that u can /afk in lfr and get the same item like any1 else who actually works for it .
    Imo blizzard should make legendary as a raid quest so that the entire raid works towards 1-2 legendary items that give raid wide buffs or help the raid in a way not to make u epeen more on reccount

15+ Year Old Account
    Everyone has it? Please.

You have NO IDEA how many people out there don't have the Meta gem yet, much less the cloak. There are still people without the 500stat gem. Next time you enter a ToT LFR or PUG, ask around how others are, you'll be surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing that makes an item legendary is the colour of its item quality. (That being orange.)

Some were drops from raid bosses. Some were quests. Some were a combination of quests and raid boss drops.
    The fact that the legendary in MoP is attainable by virtually anyone (given enough time and effort) does not break this trend, because given enough time and effort, you could have any of the other legendaries in large quantity too.

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO, not everyone has a piece of legendary. Alot of my friends who played the game since vanilla don't.
    I think its a very nice gesture to actually allow their players to finally be able to own one. They didnt have to do it.
    In fact, it is easier to just make another class based Legendary and call it a day.
    I don't own any legendaries, won't be owning the cloak, but I appreciate what they are doing. ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by Batmoonn View Post
    im very happy with never receiving a legendary. But on the other hand , imagine being the only person on the server with it ?
    Imagine the more real reality of you being the only person on the server without it!

Quote Originally Posted by madassa648 View Post
    You're not a special snowflake who has something uber unique and can stand around outside the AH showing it off now. Oh well. Moving on.
    You can now pretend to be one and stop being jeaulous of someone having better and more rare virtual items.

Next expansion you will get legendaries for killing one mob. Don't start complaining then.

Deleted
    I like the current design actually. It rewards players who have invested quite some time into it over the full expansion, and that Celestial Challenge may be a block for people in LFR gear.

Tbh I also liked the Dragonwrath/Fangs design, where as a guild you help a guy getting the legendary, but the problem with that is always the major guild drama that ensues over who you give it too. There is always people gonna be very disappointed over "not being the chosen one."

The 1% drop rate things were just stupid imho.

15+ Year Old Account
    There was nothing fun about getting my first Binding of the Windseeker in early 2008 and my second one in mid 2012, farming almost every week.
    In that time I saw several Death Knights who already got Thunderfury.

I started farming for Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros in 2007, I finally got the Eye of Sulfuras in December 2012.
    In that time I also saw several Death Knights with Sulfuras.

That's not legendary, it's tedious RNG.

The new system takes a large amount of luck out of the process and allows anyone willing to put in the dedication to get the rewards.

Legendary doesn't mean rare, it means important piece of lore.

• The sword wielded by Thunderaan
    • The mace wielded by Ragnaros
    • The Blades wielded by Illidian
    • The staff wielded by Medivh
    • The axe forged to match Frostmourne
    • The favors of the last of the Black Dragonflight.
    • Admittedly Thori'dal, the Stars' Fury is a bit of a black sheep.

Please stop using the "it's legendary so it should be rare" excuse, if being legendary was about the number of them, then they should be server-unique.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Everyone has legendary in diablo 3 yet its still legendary.

Point is, you don't get to define it.
    No but Blizzard does. Not so long ago one of blues pointed how Legendaries would get to common if they would allow them to get transmogrified. The current state of those cloaks goes directly against what Blizzard said through blues. The argument OP bases it on is exactly what blues said. What's your take on that reader of this post?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blutelf View Post
    Legendary does not have to be unique though. I can understand that you maybe want it to be, but in that case there is also a very high risk that you will never get one. Are you happy with that?
    You will never get it only if you stop trying to get it. If it is possible to get it, then you can get it if you put in whatever it takes to get it. At the end the question is: Are you willing to whatever it takes to get it?
    Last edited by mmocac96309fe0; 2013-07-31 at 09:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The item is more powerful than items of the same slot of epic quality. The item takes some luck, grinding (sigils, secrets, runestones, reputation, test of valor) to obtain. The item takes quite some time to obtain (the aforementioned grinds that span all the content patches of this expansion). The item has you take a personal challenge that no one can help you with (you can argue this one is easy, but that'll heavily depend on how skilled you are AND how much you overgear the challenge).

It seems to me this item fills all the pre-requesites to be a legendary. Legendary is an item quality, it defines power, not rarity. This legendary will be more common than previous legendaries, that's a given (at least I think it will, I haven't seen that many people outside of raiding guilds with cloaks though, so I'm just guessing). Another aspect of a legendary item is lore. Out of all the legendaries in the game to this day, only one didn't fulfill the lore part: Thori'dal. That one legendary is, truly, the single worst legendary ever in this game. Oh sure, you had to take the monumental effort of beating Kil'jaeden to have a chance at obtaining one. But if you were good enough for that... then what? It was inferior to the Golden Bow of Quel'thalas. It was no more than a stat stick for rogues. Not only that, but the lore surrounding it? Non-existant. It was literally crapped out of nowhere. It was hard to obtain, but that's about it. Yet... it was still a legendary item. Why? That's the quality it was given.

Rarity and prestige don't make a legendary at all. Perhaps they did in Classic. Perhaps even Glaives could be said to be rare, although by Sunwell release they were kinda all over the place (you wouldn't see them as much as the cloak though, since 1) they were a random drop and only one person could take them at a time, and 2) only two classes out of 9 could use them at the time, not to mention that they were a set, so if RNG hated you, you'd walk around with half of the set for ages). The item's relative power compared to others of the same type, the fact that the item's quality actually is superior, and the lore surrounding it make it far more defining than "oh lulz, it's rare so it's a worthy legendary".
    Last edited by Adramalech; 2013-07-31 at 09:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

The only thing that MoP legendary lacks in comparison to other legendaries is guild drama. You could raid with people for literally years... and then bam! first legendary goes not to him aaaaaaaaand here goes the shitstorm, he and his friends, which is half of the guild, leave guild. Or, as always, officers' lootwhoring. "Dude, you'll get your staff, sure... after I, my wife Mary, my granny aaaand my dog will get theirs". Or, the stupidest ever decision of giving a class legendary, which leaded to eight raiders became angry and cancelled sub at the moment patch gone live. Oh thank you, thank you, dear Blizzard, that finally everyone has the same chances to obtain yellow item as everybody.
    Also. Topicstarter, you don't realise that the very core of the game has changed since first implementation of the Sulfuras legendary, do you? People ARE NOT INTERESTED ANYMORE in gathering legendary items for other people - for those who obtain legendary and immediately leave and transfer, for lootwhoring officers, for wives, granddads, GM's tax officers, and all other. People are interested in obtaining something by themselves. So please, stop your special snowflaking, you're just the same person as any of other 7.7 mil players.
    Last edited by l33t; 2013-07-31 at 09:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmoonn View Post
    im very happy with never receiving a legendary. But on the other hand , imagine being the only person on the server with it ?
    imagine that terribad player who got glaives, because they basically slept with their guild leader, and that's why they got them...who died every fight, spread parasites, yada yada...
    while you outdps them, with less gear because you aren't good at sucking(yes literally and as a pun)
    never got them...now imagine 5 years down the line...still trying for offhand...and never getting it.

legendary items went to idiots all the time.

but yes..in wotlk...daggers were to easy to get so not counting them, i rerolled because i was annoyed, made him my bank alt, and got the daggers on him
    dierwolf-darkspear (i xfered with boa's to my horde server Emerald Dream, then i rerolled dierwolf as a nelf so farm herbs in freya's room <3 extra vanishes to make mobs despawn)

and this item...has taken the entire expansion to get, that feels legendary enough to me.

it's exclusivity on the other hand is what is in question, but it is definitely legendary.

other people mentioning you don't get to define what legendary means, that it's legendary because of how strong it is, or simply because it's color are all right also

but it taking the entire expansion to get, definitely gives bonus points in my books, while catching up has been made a bit easier, people who have been working on the questchain, have been doing it THE ENTIRE EXPANSION, no other legendary competes with that.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Deleted
    Not everyone will have it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Not everyone will have it.
    my alts sure won't lol, to much effort to raise alts up this time around, as an altoholic it annoys me, catching up on 9 other toons is to much effort....maybe...just maybe... one other toon...but honestly none of my other toons are at that point...3 of them have about 15-30 powers, and 1-5 wisdoms...then valor grind on dps chars...ugh...much much easier to stick with just my main, my tank, the beautiful Hakujaden.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Having luck is also not legendary. Blizzard just needs to make the quest parts very hard (not hard because 100 rare drops, hard because you have to solo very difficult encounters). Then only good players will get it.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

my alts sure won't lol, to much effort to raise alts up this time around, as an altoholic it annoys me, catching up on 9 other toons is to much effort....maybe...just maybe... one other toon...but honestly none of my other toons are at that point...3 of them have about 15-30 powers, and 1-5 wisdoms...then valor grind on dps chars...ugh...much much easier to stick with just my main, my tank, the beautiful Hakujaden.
    First time that I see people thinking If they can reach more than one current legendary item with some alts.
    Maybe I only saw that in one man from a hardcore guild that raided 5 hours everyday, but I never seen that from "normal" people playing WoW.

Times are changing ~#~