Page 49 of 97 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Misleading title.... This is still not confirmed. I would be fine if things were left around where they are at now and adjusted going forward. Although the numbers look big, I am happy where they are at.

I would absolutely love to see the item squish happen, although what GC said kind of worried me.

The bit about receiving a "buff" whenever entering an older raid in order to be able to solo it - I fear that will be a bit awkward; similar to the Icecrown Citadel buffs where you felt weak when exiting the dungeon without that giant buff.. Maybe a debuff for the raids would be a bit more suitable in this regard?

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    See the smart people have been saying all along that it wouldn't have any impact on soloing old content, and today Blizz confirmed that. All this worry over nothing.
    Blizzard saying "It won't impact soloing old content" is different than it, in reality, not impacting soloing old content. I simply don't believe it is possible for it to have 0 impact. Perhaps a small impact, but not zero impact.

Deleted
    I want the squish to happen, but not stupid instance buffs please. The character should have the same power wherever it might be.

EDIT: I don't care about soloing abilities in the slightest and they should not matter in this discussion. People can group up for transmogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Megara View Post
    I want the squish to happen, but not stupid instance buffs please. The character should have the same power wherever it might be.

EDIT: I don't care about soloing abilities in the slightest and they should not matter in this discussion. People can group up for transmogs.
    Taking away an option/playstyle is almost never a good thing. I personally hope that a lot of old bosses become much-much harder than they are now. Hell I can 1 shot half the bosses in MC, which required 40 people. (well, not so much "required" but you get the point). But a solution to that problem would be player adjustable difficulty level for old instances with extra rewards at higher difficulties (which I'd loooove).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Does this mean that every few expansions they'll squish ilvl?
    If they did it for MoP, they wouldn't have to do it again until 7.x or 8.x. That's 5-7 years until another squish is needed. WoW is only 9 years old. More long term than doing a cosmetic change that doesn't actually address the issues with exponential growth.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    Squish is useless, because it just delays the inevitable. Numbers will get out of hand again. Regular squishs inc?
    Maybe? With the squish we had planned for MoP, we wouldn't need to do it again for 2-3 expansions. Every 1 might feel weird. (Source)
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
    So, I keep hearing the terms "exponential" and "linear" used, with it generally being said that Blizzard has made "exponential" inflations with each expansion. I guess my question is simply: why? Was there something that particularly motivated them to inflate numbers exponentially instead of linearly in the first place?
    They wanted each new tier to be a significant upgrade over the previous one so people wouldn't run around in old gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlimist View Post
    Indeed, I do get compliments on the DPS a lot of the time lol. But, I still hate to see the crazy high numbers. I mean, I hit normally with my Eclipsed wrath for 100k+. That's stupid imo.
    imo it makes sense. It shows that our characters have grown over the course of the game. If we still would be at something like 10-15k DPS, upgrades hardly matter, who cares when that amazing upgrade that's 2 tiers ahead gives you an extra 100 DPS on the 15k you already do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    They wanted each new tier to be a significant upgrade over the previous one so people wouldn't run around in old gear.
    Indeed, they don't want people do run into MSV/HOF/ToES with their full T13 set still equipped.

Quote Originally Posted by El Plastico View Post
    The pro squish crowd is determined to destroy what's left of wow. Regress our characters back to level 70, man i just hate it. I wish i quit this game at the end of cataclysm.
    You should quit and take a math class.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
    So, I keep hearing the terms "exponential" and "linear" used, with it generally being said that Blizzard has made "exponential" inflations with each expansion. I guess my question is simply: why? Was there something that particularly motivated them to inflate numbers exponentially instead of linearly in the first place?
    Many occasions an often quoted number is that for something to really feel more powerful it has to grow at least 10%. So let's say you want a 20% power growth between tiers to really feel the impact:

TIER LINEAR(increase%) EXPO(increase%)
    1 100 100
    2 120(20) 120(20)
    3 140(16.67) 144(20)
    5 180(12.5) 207(20)
    10 280(7.7) 516(20)
    15 380(5.56) 1284(20)

so this is the problem. You need exponential growth within a live expansion, however exponential growth is not sustainable. We are already hitting some number problems, which can be dealt with up to a point, but not much longer. The solution is to squish old content to linear, while keeping the live expansion exponential.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last edited by dryankem; 2013-08-01 at 05:29 PM.

Deleted
    I don't think people quite get how this works. Everything is in a database, all weapons, NPCs, PCs, spells, etc... All someone needs to do is go into the database and apply a 10% reduction.
    That's not a squish , that's the Megadamage solution. You can't fix a exponential grow problem with a flat X% reduction .

Squish is transforming an exponential progresion in a liniar one. Go take math lessons.

It's quite interesting how the people who don't understand math , and don't understand what will really happen , complain that the other guys "don't understand".

Last edited by mmoc1e4c5b7903; 2013-07-31 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    You should quit and take a math class.
    Indeed. Extending the chart we got clearly shows it's level 80.

Quote Originally Posted by dryankem View Post
    I don't think people quite get how this works. Everything is in a database, all weapons, NPCs, PCs, spells, etc... All someone needs to do is go into the database and apply a 10% reduction.
    It's not a 10% reduction, though. The reduction percentage will vary depending on the level of the gear.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

when will people get it through their brains that blizzard does not usually ever by principle take away game content. so they would never take away soloing old content after this many years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Buffing level capped players when they enter old content is the dumbest thing i've ever seen blizzard propose. I mean come on, if you need a buff to do a level 60 instance something is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dryankem View Post
    I don't think people quite get how this works. Everything is in a database, all weapons, NPCs, PCs, spells, etc... All someone needs to do is go into the database and apply a 10% reduction. They could even select certain aspects (ie everything from BC gets a 10% reduction, everything from wrath 15%, everything from cata 20%).

What they are not going to do is lower the stats on gear only as nothing will be level appropriate anymore and people will no longer be able to do the dungeons or quest in the areas that they need to.

Item squish is a visual thing ONLY and everything will remain as it is now just with stats displaying lower, the only benefit if they lower progressively forward is that sword you got at level 60 might last you longer than it use to. The only issue is they may have a spell that causes issues due to the change.
    visual squish wouldn't make any sense. Real squish have real performance-related benefits. But it is quite easy to display your 200 dmg pyroblast crit as a 200M SUPERCRIT!!!...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolascancer View Post
    when will people get it through their brains that blizzard does not usually ever by principle take away game content.
    Well, you never know . The FUN POLICE is working hard there in their quest to nerf any fun skill and activity.
    In the name of a so called "Balance".

Quote Originally Posted by El Plastico View Post
    Buffing level capped players when they enter old content is the dumbest thing i've ever seen blizzard propose. I mean come on, if you need a buff to do a level 60 instance something is wrong.
    This is already happening in ICC. Do you purposely turn buff off for ICC when you attempt to solo it? I don't see what the big deal is with getting buffed when you enter into any raid.

Besides, you need buffs to solo level 60 instance even now. Gears are buffs to your character to make your char stronger. Or do you solo MC by taking off all armor and remove all buffs?
    their moving their table over their
    they're moving they're table over they're
    there moving there table over there

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wow2011 View Post
    This is already happening in ICC. Do you purposely turn buff off for ICC when you attempt to solo it? I don't see what the big deal is with getting buffed when you enter into any raid.

Besides, you need buffs to solo level 60 instance even now. Gears are buffs to your character to make your char stronger. Or do you solo MC by taking off all armor and remove all buffs?
    I quit soloing old content when they took the big profits out of it. I will concede the point though, as i wouldn't turn off the buff if i did go in three to solo it for some reason.

The title of the thread should be changed. The Item squish is not confirmed, far from it.

I personally think this is a step in the right direction, there is no reason or benefit to be hitting 1-3m choas bolts ect, would be cool to see 1,000 or 10,000 be a big number, also if you guys are to go through with this maybe give gear something that will let you hit higher level mobs, and hit lower level mobs harder if that makes any sence so while leveling when you say ding from level 34 to 35 you feel your damage increase on the monsters you were attacking at 34, GL and i hope this go's through!