Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Patch 5.4 - What to stock up?

So, I have been playing since Vanilla but I was never really into gold but I am now working on farming it up. What type of things should people be stocking up on for 5.4? I farm Windwool Cloth, Spirits of Harmony, Ore, Exotic Leather, Enchanting Mats etc.

I know obviously Living Steel is the big one however I only have one toon with Enchanting/Tailoring
    Cloth doesn't seem like a big help since there is a literal fuck ton of it and I'm on Illidan
    Spirits of Harmony are probably going to be useless so I've been using it to buy and AH Golden Lotus.

What are you guys stocking up?

10+ Year Old Account
    gems and chanting mats , new raid - new gear that needs to be gemmed and enchanted

just living steel and golden lotus for flasks. But that is not to sell later, just to buy them now when they are cheap to use later.

Unless you play on a low pop server, there are going to be a lot of people thinking about this also.. so it never really works. Just buy your enchants, gems, LS and flasks now when they are cheap... but there probably won´t be much of a windfall to try to sell them later.. Happens every time on my server with gems.. as soon as a new raid hits, there are 10,000 people who have been saving gems who all try to dump them at the same time.

Our guild has been stocking up on 300 food or the mats to make 300 food because they are ingredients for the new Noodle Carts which give the food buff for an hour

Living steel

Trust me those are gonna be like gold dust

Also sha crystals and enchanting mats for all the new gear that people will enchanting

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    And from where do you have this information? Lots of people claim this but no one I asked so far has shown something like a breakdown that evidently assures there will be more new Items which require Living steel on demand than old Items requiring Living steel no longer on demand.
    There is a new mount that requires 30 Living Steel, two pets that require 15 Living Steel. Check all the "Dat Sky Golem" posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Marionette View Post
    There is a new mount that requires 30 Living Steel, two pets that require 15 Living Steel. Check all the "Dat Sky Golem" posts.
    I hear everyone that wants the mount is going to buy 30 living steel bars the day of the patch

And from where do you have this information? Lots of people claim this but no one I asked so far has shown something like a breakdown that evidently assures there will be more new Items which require Living steel on demand than old Items requiring Living steel no longer on demand.

Enchanting mats I believe but the sha crystal tip is way speculative and I would advise everybody not to touch these.
    The other items like Ghost Iron or Golden Lotus which people speculate on can still be sold vor a noteworthy amount even if the predictoins fail you are facing a minor loss only. Sha Crystals on the other hand may completely plummet, we're talking 60 Gold here.
    Why do you think Sha's are going to fall?
    Last edited by usiris; 2013-08-04 at 02:09 AM.

Trillium for the balanced trillium daily cd

Quote Originally Posted by Marionette View Post
    Every logical person will buy em now when its cheaper. And then it wont even rise for a month, and in that month people will create said 30steel if they havnt

Quote Originally Posted by usiris View Post
    I hear everyone that wants the mount is going to buy 30 living steel bars the day of the patch
    No, but even if people stock up, the demand will be higher than the supply -- sending prices through the roof. The only thing that could hurt this is if they decrease the amount of living steel needed for the mount, or not release the mount at all (which is also highly likely).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by artem123 View Post
    Every logical person will buy em now when its cheaper.
    Right. And people who make money off the AH make it from people who are not logical. Most people do not know this mount is coming. When it becomes available advertising, flying around in game...the Living Steel won't be able to be kept on the AH.

To the OP: Unless there is some loot pinata in 5.4 that hands out epics besides the new raid, enchanting mats and gems aren't going to be a big seller. The lack of new 5 mans really hurts the gem and enchant market.
    Last edited by ablib; 2013-08-04 at 02:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This, while sarcasticly put, is the truth of it.

It's like the trillium bars for the legendary questline, the run on those never happened either, cause the demand was so spread out and people had plenty of time to get the trillium ready. The Living Steel is more limited, and I suspect there'll be a tiny price rise because of scarcity of ore and lack of enough cooldowns, but it's not going to be a paradise for Transmute Alchemists to charge rediculous amounts of gold for the Living Steel they have/make.

OT: I stacked cloth bolts and GI bars for personal use, cause I know prices will go up slightly and I can buy the stuff cheaper right now. It's also a convenience thing where I just prepared all my shit so I just have to have my banker send my toons the ready made mats once every few days and I can concentrate on doing the fun stuff in 5.4, and not be looking for cheap ore and smelting bars or making bolts of cloth. Means I spend the least possible time on my daily cooldowns and can have fun then, where I'm bored and looking for things to do right now anyway.

For reselling it will depend on the server, but Ghost Iron ore is a safe bet to have. JC will need more of it for the gems in new gear, Engineers will need it for bars for the cooldown they get. Alchemists will need it to turn into trillium bars that they turn into Living Steel and trillium bars they sell on to Blacksmiths, who need the trillium bars for their cooldown each day.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    No, but even if people stock up, the demand will be higher than the supply -- sending prices through the roof. The only thing that could hurt this is if they decrease the amount of living steel needed for the mount, or not release the mount at all (which is also highly likely).

- - - Updated - - -

Right. And people who make money off the AH make it from people who are not logical. Most people do not know this mount is coming. When it becomes available advertising, flying around in game...the Living Steel won't be able to be kept on the AH.

To the OP: Unless there is some loot pinata in 5.4 that hands out epics besides the new raid, enchanting mats and gems aren't going to be a big seller. The lack of new 5 mans really hurts the gem and enchant market.

Point 1: I know that price will increase, however I expect most that want the mount day 1 will have the mats before the patch. And most people that dont know about it that want it will wait till the price of Living Steel to lower before buying.

Point 2: See point 1.

Point 3: No faction requirement on epic items from launch factions.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I have a very trollish personality ^_^
    Last edited by usiris; 2013-08-04 at 02:34 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Im stacking up Living Steel for people wanting to craft their Sky Claw
    And general ench mats
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Point 1: I know that price will increase, however I expect most that want the mount day 1 will have the mats before the patch. And most people that dont know about it that want it will wait till the price of Living Steel to lower before buying.

Point 2: See point 1.

Point 3: No faction requirement on epic items from launch factions.

I have a very trollish personality ^_^

We'll have to wait and see I guess. I expect at least a 50% increase in Living Steel, if not 100% for at least 1 week. I'm rarely wrong with in game economies, but we can leave it at that.

I don't expect launch faction gear that is 80 item levels lower than current tier to be in high demand for gems and enchants. When ICC came out, people weren't gemming and enchanting their level 200 epics. Same with Dragon Soul.

There has to be 5 mans with the new raid to increase demand. When ICC + the 3 5 mans were released, gems went nuts. When the trolloics were released, nothing happened because the gear was worse than the current tier gear. Firelands same thing. If only 1 raid is released, the gear acquisition is too low to build a demand (unlike spamming new heroics). When Dragon Soul came out gems nearly quadrupled. Dragon Soul + the heroics + gear with double or triple gem slots, plus they killed a major botting program that made ore super scarce that patch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post

It's like the trillium bars for the legendary questline, the run on those never happened either,

No, it did happen. For a two week period, on average the price of Trillium increased 25% in NA, and almost doubled in the EU.

https://theunderminejournal.com/item.php?item=72095

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you think Sha's are going to fall?
    It always does the last tier of an expansion, due to there being 2 (or 3) previous tiers of useless gear to DE.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    tier2 will get an elder charm change probably (or a complete downgrade of mogu stone into charms with increased roll rate), keeping the price of Sha Crystals low

You gotta remember a huge huge amount of the wow playerbase Dont read forums or blue posts

Most wont even know what the sky golem is untill they see one for themselves then it will be a huge huge run on the AH for Living steel

Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    You gotta remember a huge huge amount of the wow playerbase Dont read forums or blue posts

Most wont even know what the sky golem is untill they see one for themselves then it will be a huge huge run on the AH for Living steel
    on my server people are already trying to get people to reserve theirs. Also the mount takes 30 days worth of engineering cooldowns so people have plenty of time before the first one is even made

Enchanting mats I believe but the sha crystal tip is way speculative and I would advise everybody not to touch these.
    The other items like Ghost Iron or Golden Lotus which people speculate on can still be sold vor a noteworthy amount even if the predictoins fail you are facing a minor loss only. Sha Crystals on the other hand may completely plummet, we're talking 60 Gold here.

also belt buckles
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

Enchanting mats should go up a bit, not hypnotic dust crazy though.

We'll have to wait and see I guess. I expect at least a 50% increase in Living Steel, if not 100% for at least 1 week. I'm rarely wrong with in game economies, but we can leave it at that.

I don't expect launch faction gear that is 80 item levels lower than current tier to be in high demand for gems and enchants. When ICC came out, people weren't gemming and enchanting their level 200 epics. Same with Dragon Soul.

There has to be 5 mans with the new raid to increase demand. When ICC + the 3 5 mans were released, gems went nuts. When the trolloics were released, nothing happened because the gear was worse than the current tier gear. Firelands same thing. If only 1 raid is released, the gear acquisition is too low to build a demand (unlike spamming new heroics). When Dragon Soul came out gems nearly quadrupled. Dragon Soul + the heroics + gear with double or triple gem slots, plus they killed a major botting program that made ore super scarce that patch.
    100% for a week seems fair, I'd be more keen on 50% but 100% isnt out of my perspective. If you really want to play the "I'm almost never wrong" game, I can as well.

There are massive issues with your analogy between wrath, cata and MoP.
    1. There are not factions that you can freely buy epics from without rep.
    2. There is no TOC this x-pack: TOC was pretty much a normalizer, once you hit 80, you could just get badges and get 245 gear instantly.
    3. cata largely had the same system; you needed to be at certain rep points with the raid faction for gear(looking at firelands). Also with firelands, you had to do a massive amount of work from dailies to obtain any gear.
    4. The reason you saw a massive spike in dragon soul is because we had several areas which to obtain new gear for alts as well as mains(of casuals)
    5. Because of the instances in DS, people didnt have to go back, it was easy to get new/upgraded gear. We have raid finder this x-pack, which you need to go through a linear system to get to the most current.

People see this as an alt unfriendly expansion. They have to do a lot of work to be able to get into the first raid finder, this will help them significantly.

No, it did happen. For a two week period, on average the price of Trillium increased 25% in NA, and almost doubled in the EU.

https://theunderminejournal.com/item.php?item=72095
    I wasn't aware ~3 days is now equal to 2 weeks.

...living steel also increased in value, hmm wonder if there was any correlation....nnnnaaaaaaa

It always does the last tier of an expansion, due to there being 2 (or 3) previous tiers of useless gear to DE.
    I was more interested in Fincher's thoughts...but ok....
    Last edited by usiris; 2013-08-04 at 04:36 PM.