Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

In game store wide open for credit card Fraud

THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT IF YOU LIKE THE IN GAME STORE OR IF YOU AGREE WITH It OR NOT

So the in game lets you make purchases in game with the credit card you have on file. Now Correct me if I am wrong but that would make it really easy for a hacked account to lets say use your credit card to buy stuff like the guardian cub.

Did blizzard overlook how this could easily turn into credit card fraud?

What do you guys think?

I think they should at least ask to confirm the last 3 digits on the back of the card called the CSV
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-08-06 at 06:37 PM.

as i remember you can only buy the bag of charms and the BoA exp potion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Editos View Post
    I thought they were going to allow you to buy anything sold in the store?

I don't know how their in-game store works, but why would they keep your card info in a file? They already have it stored into your account info.

Edit: Apparently I failed at reading. Anyway, there should be some kind of verification. If it's not on the PTR yet, there will be one for sure
    Last edited by Joperman; 2013-08-06 at 06:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that's a problem with any system that allows for stored credit card information. I wouldn't say the in-game store is particularly vulnerable. As well, I've never been able to buy anything through battle.net that hasn't required me to use my credit card's verification code (on the back)...I would expect the store to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Asag View Post
    I thought they were going to allow you to buy anything sold in the store?
    So you made a rage post about what you "thought" instead of actually reading up and getting the facts?

THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT IF YOU LIKE THE IN GAME STORE OR IF YOU AGREE WITH It OR NOT

So the in game lets you make purchases in game with the credit card you have on file. Now Correct me if I am wrong but that would make it really easy for a hacked account to lets say use your credit card to buy stuff like the guardian cub.

What do you guys think?

I think they should at least ask to confirm the last 3 digits on the back of the card called the CSV
    You can only buy charms and the exp potion, however I doubt blizzard would make it that simple as they're not idiots.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty710 View Post
    So you made a rage post about what you "thought" instead of actually reading up and getting the facts?
    Thanks for not adding anything constructive to the post besides making a post to bitch about my post. There is no rage thread here and they said the store would make it easier for people to purchase in game stuff in game. I do not recall them saying it would just be X items

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Well that's a problem with any system that allows for stored credit card information. I wouldn't say the in-game store is particularly vulnerable. As well, I've never been able to buy anything through battle.net that hasn't required me to use my credit card's verification code (on the back)...I would expect the store to do the same.
    Agreed and I would hope they would do the same thing with the in game store

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    You can only buy charms and the exp potion, however I doubt blizzard would make it that simple as they're not idiots.
    Yea.....They did say it would be easier for people to buy stuff in game. They never said it would just be charms and a xp pot

Pretty sure Blizzard is going to implement its own internal currency before upgrading the in-game store. Same with other games with in-game cash transactions, like Planetside 2 or MechWarrior Online.

So you buy, say, 1000 Blizzcoins for 15 dollars. Those 1000 Blizzcoins are stored in your Store Wallet and spent in lieu of cash when you want to buy an item from within the game itself. Want an XP Flask? That'll be 150 Blizzcoins, please!
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

It will probably have a similiar security system as Diablo 3 has with the Real Money Auction House.

I'm pretty sure you will be required to have an authenticator attached to your account. Maybe also the Battle.net SMS protection.

Yes, but can't they also go to the website and buy the stuff? If they have the password they could just log in there and buy the stuff.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If it's anything like D3 it will require SMS protect, and also you'll have to enter your card's 3-4 digit security code when making purchases from a new IP.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Editos View Post
    That's the start, they'll add more.

10+ Year Old Account

What do you guys think?

This isn't really much worse than what people already do with the regular store.

Buy code with credit card. Offer code in-game for gold. Get gold, give code.

Cancel credit card payment.

Bad guy still has gold; good guy loses whatever mount or pet he got with that code.

The end.

So, that said, if your credit card info is stolen, you too can cancel the payment that the hacker made with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on how it is implemented.

Also depends on what it applies to. If it's only for the xp potions and charms, it is sorta a nonissue since hackers aren't going to care about that stuff. The guardian cub, if available, might be a risk since it can result in increased gold.

But for all we know it will ask for some verification.

So it sorta depends.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Also depends on what it applies to. If it's only for the xp potions and charms, it is sorta a nonissue since hackers aren't going to care about that stuff. The guardian cub, if available, might be a risk since it can result in increased gold.
    But how much? If hackers get enough accounts compromised they'd just drive down the price and make the cubs more worthless than they are.

Yea.....They did say it would be easier for people to buy stuff in game. They never said it would just be charms and a xp pot
    They never said easier, they said more convenient, which is true considering you now have access to the Blizzard store through an in-game interface so you don't have to open your browser, go to the Blizzard store, log-in to your Blizzard account, etc... You can just click the store icon from within WoW and voila!

As someone already said, this is no more subject to fraud than any other electronic purchasing method, and Blizzard has a good idea and some experience at keeping electronic information secure. So I'm not all that worried.

How can you claim it's wide open to fraud when you have no idea how it will be implemented? Talk about freaking out over a feature that hasn't even been tested yet!

People really need to stop all of the nonsense.

Deleted
    "Blizzard uses and saves credit card data so they're going to be open for fraud"

"Company A uses and saves credit card data so they're going to be open for fraud"

"Company X uses and saves credit card data so they're going to be open for fraud"

Anything which uses credit cards is open to fraud, can't target blizzard automatically. To be fair they have more protection than most other companies if you take authentication into consideration.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriss View Post
    This isn't really much worse than what people already do with the regular store.

Buy code with credit card. Offer code in-game for gold. Get gold, give code.

Cancel credit card payment.

Bad guy still has gold; good guy loses whatever mount or pet he got with that code.

The end.
    That's a different issue than what is being discussed here. This is more of a "hey, if your WoW account is stolen, now they also have free reign to buy shit on the Blizzard store with your money, too" concern.

Yeah you can do a charge back or report your card stolen, but that's a real hassle and it would suck if you had to do that just because someone else played your video game without your permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    But how much? If hackers get enough accounts compromised they'd just drive down the price and make the cubs more worthless than they are.
    *shrug* The point is that it's the only item on the store right now that would actually be even remotely appealing for people to buy on stolen accounts. I don't think there is much risk of hackers buying you a sparklepony you didn't want, but they might use your credit card to buy some guardian cubs, even if they only sell for beans.

I'm sure they will probably require a verification code or authenticator code or SMS or something so I don't think it will end up being an issue in reality, but I could see why someone might be worried.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |