Deleted

Mage coming back after break

Hey there.. As the title says, I took a break from WoW for health reasons and I'm now planning to come back.
    This is my Character armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...r/Tripz/simple

Planning to come back I came here to the forums to check how's mage doing and went to my old friend Simulationcraft
    Noticed many changes on mage since last I played:

Living bomb was not used because it pretty much sucked compared to NT for ST and FB for AoE.. Now it seems to be used for all 3 specs in pretty much all situations.. what happened to LB? :O

Any changes on the requirements to be able to rely properly on Fire RNG? before it was like 38-40% crit self buffed
    Glyphs, etc stays the same I assume? or any major changes on glyphs for any of the specs?

How's Mage state overall in Raid atm?

I'd appreciate any feedback about this.

Thanks
    Last edited by mmocdae70863cd; 2013-08-06 at 12:30 PM.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    LB was changed in 5.3, it's now ~350% SP on a single target at no haste compared to NT's ~292%. It lost the explosion's power, though. NT remains king for multidot situations, as the cleave is stronger in addition to not having a target cap.

I'm not huge on fire, but that sounds about right. Some might say higher, some might say ~535 ilvl, but it really comes down to which crit pieces you get.

Glyphs haven't changed. I guess there's the glyph of armours thing for fire if you're doing the mage armour from pull to your first combustion thing that was being discussed a while back. Check the fire sticky, I'm sure there's some mention either in the guide itself or in the last few pages.

We're in a fairly good spot, contrary to what a lot will tell you. Warlocks will wreck you on a lot of things, but we're fairly solid. I managed third behind our two tanks on 25H Lei Shen this week, and the entirety of P3 is movement.
    Last edited by Kuni Zyrekai; 2013-08-06 at 12:50 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks for the answer

Just one more thing.. Noticed the change in RoP - the increased range on the rune.. But is it worth taking now over Invocation? Speaking atm as a Frost Mage in ToT but would like to know if its worth taking in ToT for any of the specs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tripzter View Post
    Thanks for the answer

Just one more thing.. Noticed the change in RoP - the increased range on the rune.. But is it worth taking now over Invocation? Speaking atm as a Frost Mage in ToT but would like to know if its worth taking in ToT for any of the specs.

Thanks
    That change is not till 5.4 even then don't ever, ever take RoP unless you are Arcane. Way too restrictive to use in a spec that doesn't need regen

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know people would probably advise against this but i sit at 45% crit without molten armor so i just started using mage armor all the time lol :3

Quote Originally Posted by byZodi View Post
    I know people would probably advise against this but i sit at 45% crit without molten armor so i just started using mage armor all the time lol :3
    I hope you are joking because if not that may be one of the worst things a fire Mage has said, right up there with "I scorch spam instead of fireball...you know, because its faster".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenbud View Post
    I hope you are joking because if not that may be one of the worst things a fire Mage has said, right up there with "I scorch spam instead of fireball...you know, because its faster".
    Or not. On fights like Tortos or Council where you BL on the pull to get a huge Combustion off, it's not a horrible idea to start out in Mage armor.

I don't really bother mostly, but if we BL on the pull, I'll do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
    Or not. On fights like Tortos or Council where you BL on the pull to get a huge Combustion off, it's not a horrible idea to start out in Mage armor.

I don't really bother mostly, but if we BL on the pull, I'll do it.
    Dude read his post. He said he runs Mage armor all the time just because he has 45% crit, what you are talking about is armor swapping and it is a dps increase with enough gear. I mean I'm not theorycrafting expert but a crit based spec giving up 6.5% crit for 3k mastery seems to me would be a dps loss. So read before you tell me I'm wrong.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Crit does run into DR on itself, so at some point I wouldn't be surprised to see Mage Armor being stronger for fire.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenbud View Post
    Dude read his post. He said he runs Mage armor all the time just because he has 45% crit, what you are talking about is armor swapping and it is a dps increase with enough gear. I mean I'm not theorycrafting expert but a crit based spec giving up 6.5% crit for 3k mastery seems to me would be a dps loss. So read before you tell me I'm wrong.
    While running it all the time isn't optimal, leaving it on for the full duration of a fight, on some fights, isn't as suboptimal as you make it sound. On top of that, your analogy is worthless, since there are diminishing returns to stacking crit. I'll concede however that we aren't reaching those points. Yet.

Then again, who am I to deny you the highlight of your day, when you can take your passive aggressive stance to the forums and pretend to be a hot shot.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2013-08-07 at 04:15 PM.

Then again, who am I to deny you the highlight of your day, when you can take your passive aggressive stance to the forums and pretend to be a hot shot.
    Oh the irony.

While running it all the time isn't optimal, leaving it on for the full duration of a fight, on some fights, isn't as suboptimal as you make it sound. On top of that, your analogy is worthless, since there are diminishing returns to stacking crit. I'll concede however that we aren't reaching those points. Yet.
    Thank you for not only agreeing with me but also contradicting yourself in one condescending post. If its even the slightest bit suboptimal then why do it? Since I never gave any numbers, my analogy it's 100% valid because scorch spam is suboptimal but you can still do it, just like running full time Mage armor. Also seeing how I am posting this now and not 3 months in the future when we are in full BiS SoO gear when crit can apparently DR on itself, I again am correct in saying more crit is better. And as for being passive aggressive I was pretty clear and to the point when I said "one of the worst things a fire Mage has said" so passives gone and I telling some they are wrong is being aggressive then these forums are full of assholes and anyone who posts looking for advice is a sadist. Did I miss anything chief?