Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Legendary cloaks underwhelming?

So far most of the steps in the legendary quest line have been pretty cool. The gem for the sha touched weapon as well as the eye of the black prince were pretty cool but nothing amazingly special but since they were just the first two steps the nice little bonuses they provided were pretty cool. Then the legendary meta came out and omgawesome. Huge dps increase and an amazing contribution to your arsenal. Same thing with the epic cloak. The ilv increase is just amazing and it brings a really high amount of dps especially since it doesn't have any stats like hit/exp (which most rogues are overflowing in) and is all damage.

Now the legendary cloak doesn't get any ilv increase. Doesn't get any stat budget increase just gets a spiffy little proc and some particle effects. In SoO gear assassination rogues could very well have ~50k ap or so with combat having a lot more but for ease of math lets just say that an assassination rogue is sitting at 50k ap. The cloak hits everything in front of you (I'm assuming it's every .5 seconds and not ever 5 seconds for 3 seconds and is just a typo atm) for 1+20% ap which means it hits with 50k ap is 60k damage when it procs but it only has a proc rate of 1.5 ppm which means that the legendary cloak... the end item of this expansion... the amazing thing that everyone has been waiting for will give all of a ~1500 dps upgrade single target. I'm thinking that most pieces of gear going form ToT lvel to SoO are going to give higher dps upgrades than that. Granted if it procs on an aoe pack it'll be amazing (think of those mass aoe packs in HoF before the first boss... would be seriously an insane proc there) but since it'll only proc less than 2 times a minute and most of the time rogues are single target the vast majority of our awesome cloak is going to be a very small upgrade. Hell the legendary meta hits for around that much and procs ~20 times a minute... It seems like they balanced the proc around it's aoe component rather than single target which makes it over all kinda bunk.

I dunno. For the grand finale of the legendary quest line instead of an amazing display of fireworks it seems like they're ending on a bottle rocket.

Opinions?

Agreed, but can you really consider it "legendary" anyway. I farmed more for blues so what does that say about them...

Quote Originally Posted by theherecy View Post
    Agreed, but can you really consider it "legendary" anyway. I farmed more for blues so what does that say about them...
    I dunno about that. Never been an item it took an entire expansion to farm for at least in my experience.

I liked the quest chain and thought it added a lot of fun flavor. It did kind of take away from the expereince but at the same time not really. Usually only one person in a raid gets that experience sometimes multiple depending on how long the patch goes for but frequently entire classes are completely left out of it. Hell the hunters legendary was hardly used before they replaced it with blues in the next xpack. So it's been nice that everyone can participate in an expansion long quest for an orange reward at the end.. hell just think of the hours farming everything to get it it's no small feat! Just the end of the quest is pretty bleh.

I dunno, I thought it was an incredibly lame quest chain with a lame legendary... gems and a cloak compared to weapons isn't even close. I suppose it is a little more interesting than just having it drop directly from a boss though. I really don't see how the repeatable rep grind, dailies, raid dropped collectable makes for a decent quest chain. Its also really annoying in terms of people who took a break or switched mains mid expansion...

Also, to me the point of a legendary is that it needs to be fairly exclusive and something that involves your whole guild in an extra and enjoyable experience. The other legendaries for the most part were about you and your guild. This one is just about you and you alone which makes it lame.

I think you are selling the proc short a bit though because its proc rate should scale with haste and don't forget the fairly large difference in damage if it goes off with agi procs up.

The meta gem is absolutely amazing, at least for casters. The cloak looks like it should be pretty awesome too. I think people are just butthurt that you can get orange loot in LFR.

Quote Originally Posted by Raintola View Post
    The meta gem is absolutely amazing, at least for casters. The cloak looks like it should be pretty awesome too. I think people are just butthurt that you can get orange loot in LFR.
    I suppose you could put it that way because LFR is essentially a solo experience. But really this legendary chain is nothing but a glorified solo quest... and solo quests are the thing I hate most about wow (with repeatable solo quests, dailies, at the very, very bottom).

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop, reread the OP, then try posting again.

~1.5k single target increase? Oh boy, sounds like fun. I get why they did it, if they make the cloaks too strong then they are nigh-on required for progression... but making them so weak feels like a waste. At that damage they might as well have made the meta gem the "legendary", it's certainly stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    I suppose you could put it that way because LFR is essentially a solo experience. But really this legendary chain is nothing but a glorified solo quest... and solo quests are the thing I hate most about wow (with repeatable solo quests, dailies, at the very, very bottom).
    Oh please, like farming random drops in your regular raid group for the umpteenth time was any less of a solo experience. Hell, except for the daggers and Tarecgosa, they all are solo experiences now. At least now you don't have to wait on one guy to finish his before you can start your's.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Stop, reread the OP, then try posting again.

~1.5k single target increase? Oh boy, sounds like fun. I get why they did it, if they make the cloaks too strong then they are nigh-on required for progression... but making them so weak feels like a waste. At that damage they might as well have made the meta gem the "legendary", it's certainly stronger.
    You're complaining about free damage and a crap ton of stats? Every other legendary had some sort of mindless auto-pilot proc, I don't see what the difference is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by theherecy View Post
    That the word Legendary has nothing to do with rarity. At all. Look it up.

I seem to recall this 'Legendary Questchain'' giving..

+500 stat gems for specific weaponry
    + a free socket for all Sha + ToT + SoO weaponry
    A meta gem with a proc
    A massively overleveled cloak which can then be upgraded to possess a scaling proc, that improves with your stats as well as access to an exclusive World Boss.

That's a damn sight more than Fangs, Warglaives or Tarecgosa's did. All without fucking up PvP as was the staple until now. I'm considerably whelmed.
    Last edited by mmoc52fe769775; 2013-08-11 at 09:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post
    I'm considerably whelmed.
    I am as well, it's a lofty comparison to previous legendary (chains or drops). That said, the legendary cloak itself is underwhelming. The sha gem was HUGE. The meta was HUGE. The cloak was HUGE. The cloak enchant is... lackluster. I know it's the one part that we won't be grinding for, but the other upgrades have been gargantuan, and if you get stuck in the quest somehow between epic and legendary cloak, it's no big deal (by comparison). People in like 522/530 cloaks going to 600/608 cloaks are adding a full equipment slot of stats. ~750 secondaries or whichever it was and 1k secondary stats >>>>> 1.5k DPS.

The only epic in the line is by far a larger jump than going to the final product. Irony.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugajak View Post
    I am as well, it's a lofty comparison to previous legendary (chains or drops). That said, the legendary cloak itself is underwhelming. The sha gem was HUGE. The meta was HUGE. The cloak was HUGE. The cloak enchant is... lackluster. I know it's the one part that we won't be grinding for, but the other upgrades have been gargantuan, and if you get stuck in the quest somehow between epic and legendary cloak, it's no big deal (by comparison). People in like 522/530 cloaks going to 600/608 cloaks are adding a full equipment slot of stats. ~750 secondaries or whichever it was and 1k secondary stats >>>>> 1.5k DPS.

The only epic in the line is by far a larger jump than going to the final product. Irony.
    That's exactly what I was posting about.

The quest chain in it's entirety was a really enjoyable processes that brought about many fun and some extremely powerful items along the way. Usually in quest chains or just stuff in life in general people save the best for last. The grand finale. The thing that everything has been building for. Stuff usually culminates in a gigantic explosion of awesomeness and screaming Japanese fan girls. Everything about this quest chain made me thing that the final legendary item was going to continue in the same manner of greatness that the previous quests had been up until then. It just seems like a little bit of a let down.

And personally I'm fine with the cloak. It still allows for weapon drops even if they're only epic to be amazing (think of a heroic gurthalak which some considered down right legendary itself). It wouldn't have made sense to be a tier piece, boots and belts rings and amulets are all bland and don't have a visual that stands out. Trinkets are probably the most "flavorful" items so it makes sense to not take up a trinket slot. So over all the cloak works for me. Granted a legendary weapon would have been cool but I think that a legendary weapon everyone got would be kinda meh.

I think it'd be nice to be able to use the eye of the black prince and put the legendary gem in the cloak as well. Would "complete" the legendary and have everything come together ya know?

Few things to point out SoO gear is only going to get me 3k ap? Anyway the cloak has been buffed for some time now. Its 40% of ap and hits every .3 secs (4 more attacks) also before it was buffed to this lvl it was bugged and couldn't crit that has been fixed. Single target its more a dps boost than the meta its about 7-9% of your dmg as assassination depending on rng (rppm fun..).

Also to add currently its dmg gets boosted by find weakness as it does do physical dmg and is higher % of your dmg as sub than assassin.

And because someone may ask the cloak doesn't proc against players at all so balancing on this will be fully pve.
    Last edited by Wow; 2013-08-12 at 12:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    Few things to point out SoO gear is only going to get me 3k ap? Anyway the cloak has been buffed for some time now. Its 40% of ap and hits every .3 secs (4 more attacks) also before it was buffed to this lvl it was bugged and couldn't crit that has been fixed. Single target its more a dps boost than the meta its about 7-9% of your dmg as assassination depending on rng (rppm fun..).
    That sounds a whole lot better. I've been way behind on my 5.4 stuff from a bunch of RL complications =( so I really appreciate everyone else keeping up with it better than I have, especially with actual testing. 7-9% is quite respectable.

Oh please, like farming random drops in your regular raid group for the umpteenth time was any less of a solo experience. Hell, except for the daggers and Tarecgosa, they all are solo experiences now. At least now you don't have to wait on one guy to finish his before you can start your's.
    Yeah, it is less of a solo experience. You had to be part of an organized raid. The staff had a raid event you had to do. Shadowmorne has special stuff you needed to do during the fights, a couple of which needed to be worked out with your raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    You had to raid for the items, so they are not solo quests.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I am a massive fan of the legendary quests in MOP.

There is nothing worse for me than giving one or two people the legendary so that, whilst they feel special and do ridiculous damage or healing, everyone without the weapon feels underpowered and has no chance in ever competing.

I WAY prefer the MOP model for legendaries.

The only thing I don't like is that the Sha-Touched gems and Prismatic sockets could not be used until the end of the expansion. That would have been great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Before we get into it, let's not debate whether or not the LFR is solo or raid content. That doesn't have any place here.

I think the most significant part of this discussion is in the power of the cloak's enchant, first suggested by Warstar, and with clarification on PTR-live effect by wow.

I'm thinking some of you are forgetting one of the most important factors of this legendary cloak...

GIVES YOU ACCESS TO A WORLD BOSS with new loots.
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

Quote Originally Posted by pimpeddakota View Post
    I'm thinking some of you are forgetting one of the most important factors of this legendary cloak...

GIVES YOU ACCESS TO A WORLD BOSS with new loots.
    Not sure how I feel about this feature. I play on a pretty dead server that's to the point that if you don't get in a Nalak/Oondasta kill on tuesday there's a good chance you won't find a group at all for it. With the limitations on the requirement of having the cloak that'll drop potential group people down a lot. It seems like the fight is meant to be a harder one than the loot vendor that is Nalak with having people have to gear up and play enough to get the cloak but then it's also available to their alts which kinda shoots the idea of having geared people to do a hard boss.

Well.. then again with the new virtual realms maybe this will solve those problems.

The VFX of the cloaks are very mesmerizing.
    Way more than any other legendary before.

It feels underwhelming because it's a cloak and not a weapon.

I can understand that, but all the story/lore connected to it, the big chain quest throughout all the expansion and the actual item are all good things. This time the legendary is something everyone can manage to get, people who started before have an advantage and doesn't require you to search for a guild or such.

Rewards are a definite dps increase, and even if you don't like the fact it's a cloak, it's still a 608 ilvl with a proc that grants you a decent chunk of damage.

I don't know what people expects more
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.