Any good racing games in the style of Gran Turismo? (PC)

Not much of a racing game fan but I did enjoy Gran Turismo. Beefing up your car to win more prestigious races and then using the prize money to buy better cars etc was really fun. Looking for a recentish PC title that has this element, preferrably with controller support. Haven't seen anything that struck my fancy so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shift 2: Unleashed is the only thing I'd recommend that's available on PC. It's almost identical to Gran Turismo.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Pro Street, Underground 1 and 2 we're all really good too imo, a bit older. Shift 2 is by far the closest to GT tho.
    Last edited by Varyk; 2013-08-12 at 09:55 AM.

Test Drive Unlimited 1 & 2.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gegalfo View Post
    im looking for some PC game with good story decent combat and not too cartoony graphics. i have played DA:O DA 2 ME 1-3 Fallout NV SWKotOR 1-2 i have tried getting into skyrim but just couldnti have played Borderlands 1-2 Saints row 2-3 (please do not suggest GTA). any star wars game is welcome ( have played force unleashed 1-2, jedi knight outcast and academy empire at war+ xpac and a couple of classes in SWTOR) else something along the lines of previously mentioned games would be nice
    Kingdom's of Amalur: Reckoning, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Witcher 2, and Darksiders II you might be interested in. The assassin's creed games are all pretty good, not really RPG's but really good gameplay.

Also, Dragon Age Origins: Awakening if you haven't played it already, it's basically a continuation of Origins, aftermath-ish.
    Last edited by Varyk; 2013-08-12 at 11:05 AM.

Gran Turismo : Basically a massive catalogue of moddable cars with a simulation aimed physics model, in a sandbox type racing game world. There is nothing like it on the PC.

Shift 2? It is a linear semi-sim or "simcade" racing game, it does have customisable cars but the car catalogue is small and I'd argue the gameplay is weaker. It was a game that the developers were essencially forced to release under pressure from EA. Those same developers are now working on a new game on the same engine as a kickstarter project. The new game is called Project CARS and it is what Shift 2 should have been had EA not been involved. Shift 2 is worth a shot, but it isn't really a Gran Turismo style of game.

Test Drive Unlimited 1-2
    : Completely different type of game to Gran Turismo. It is an arcade style freeroam open world racing/driving game. You have a decent (tho still tiny compared to GT) list of cars and an island to drive around, if you appreciate the gameplay quality and physics of Gran Turismo then this game really is not for you. It is a fun game (though TDU2 is buggy and rushed as hell) but it isn't anything like Gran Turismo.

You could try Simraceway : Free to play online racing simulator with a fairly large catalogue of cars (around 100 and growing), aswell as a strong selection of tracks. But by being F2P it means you have to buy cars. You start off with 3 cars and earn credits for clean racing that you can use to spend on other cars to enter new events, or you can buy cars with your own money (some of them are very expensive and realistically need to be paid for like this). Along with that you can win real cash prizes if you're good, making it possible to earn all the content from playing.

Gameplay wise Simraceway is right up there, but it takes some skill (as does GT), but it isn't a sandbox style single player racing game, but rather a multiplayer focussed racing game based around the competition and based around building your SQ (SkillQuaint) rating, progressing your skills in a real world sense and competing with others.

Otherwise your only option is to buy a PS3 for GT5 (or the soon to be released GT6!), or get an Xbox 360 and buy Forza 4. Forza is the closest thing you're going to get to GT.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just going to put this out there:

I fucking hate this thread. Not because of what is going on (requesting/suggesting games, I love that) but because it gets holed up into a single sticky where its easy to lose games that are suggested while the main Video Game subsection is still just as jacked up looking as before but now has [Megathread] in front of 90% of the thread titles.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Just going to put this out there:

I fucking hate this thread. Not because of what is going on (requesting/suggesting games, I love that) but because it gets holed up into a single sticky where its easy to lose games that are suggested while the main Video Game subsection is still just as jacked up looking as before but now has [Megathread] in front of 90% of the thread titles.
    I agree, but that's the way the mods want it so not much we can do :/

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    So I just saw the movie Pacific Rim (LOVED it), and I am now itching to play a good mech game. Or just any game involving beating the shit out of big things with other big things. You get the idea. I'm having trouble finding anything because I've never really ventured into that genre before, so I'm not sure what is good. If anybody has any recommendations, they'd be really appreciated!
    Friendly bump. Still looking!

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Friendly bump. Still looking!
    RAD: Robot Alchemic Drive for the Playstation 2.

The controls are very unique and take getting used to, but it is a lot of fun. The storyline is pretty much "RIP OFF ALL THE KAIJU/MECHA MOVIES!" and the voice acting is painful, but this game is pretty much the best mechs punching monsters in the face type of game I've ever played.

The main thing behind the game is that you are controlling a regularly sized human who is remote controlling a giant robot. Your vantage point is that of the human, so you have to find somewhere safe to stand so you're out of harm's way but are able to see the battle. Fortunately you can kind of fly/levitate and the only real danger to you on the field is the enemy monster.
    Last edited by unholytestament; 2013-08-13 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    RAD: Robot Alchemic Drive for the Playstation 2.

The controls are very unique and take getting used to, but it is a lot of fun. The storyline is pretty much "RIP OFF ALL THE KAIJU/MECHA MOVIES!" and the voice acting is painful, but this game is pretty much the best mechs punching monsters in the face type of game I've ever played.

The main thing behind the game is that you are controlling a regularly sized human who is remote controlling a giant robot. Your vantage point is that of the human, so you have to find somewhere safe to stand so you're out of harm's way but are able to see the battle. Fortunately you can kind of fly/levitate and the only real danger to you on the field is the enemy monster.
    I have no idea why I've never heard of this game before, but it looks great. Totally going to be trying this one out. Thanks for the recommendation!

Looking for a new MMO

I play WoW a lot, and I played fallen earth up to about level 15. I also played Star Wars Galaxies and The Sims Online when they were online. I want to play a different one. Unfortunately I do not have a good graphics card. I was wondering if there is a good game with sandbox features like player cities and stuff that doesn't require a good graphics card.

Games that have too high of a graphics requirement for me include Wurm, Mortal Online, Darkfall Unholy Wars.

Deleted
    Can anyone tell me the cons and pros of Thief: Deadly Shadows? Just saw it has a discount on Steam so I'm wondering if it's a good game or not.

Looking for an MMO(RPG)(New or Old)

I know this site mostly WoW content but...

Hello I have been playing MMOs on and off for years dating back to time when Ultima Online and EverQuest reigned supreme. I am looking for a new MMO (as is everyone here) and I will try and be as specific as possible in hopes someone with MMO knowledge can help me out.

I quit WoW just after MoP came out mainly because all my friends left and that was what was really holding me in there in the first place. I would like to return to the MMO scene, at present I have no friends currently playing an MMO so I am wide open to a new or old game.

I realize at present WoW is still ranked very highly but I would like the game to be free-to-play or hybrid model as I cannot justify a monthly subscription with so many games making the transition. The most fun I have had in an MMO is in EverQuest because of the friends I had playing. It might be too outdated to return and may ruin my nostalgia. I am looking for a game that is populated as dead servers/games are not fun. I mainly solo and enjoy PvE much more than PvP.

Due to time restrictions at the moment I can usually hop on for an hour or two a day during the week (might change in the future) which I don't mind but chances are I won't be raiding. I would like the leveling process to be more fun than a grind (if that exists) and need end content for a more casual player.

Thanks in advance.

You can give Star Trek Online a try. It's pretty casual friendly. The lvling process is pretty fun imo.

As a solo and leveling game, I would say SWTOR is easily the best MMO there is.

I recommend Star Wars: The Old Republic. The people still playing are loyal as f*ck, so you'd probably find an engaging community on the biggest server. The leveling game is really fun and the endgame is so-so, good for someone not looking for something hardcore, so it seems right for you.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

The Secret World has a great leveling experience. If you're only looking at questing content and story, I would recommend it over even TOR. Its endgame is almost nonexistent though.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Can anyone tell me the cons and pros of Thief: Deadly Shadows? Just saw it has a discount on Steam so I'm wondering if it's a good game or not.
    I played the games a long time ago but they're very fun. Well worth it if they're discounted. They're like a precursor to the AC games. Everything is done using stealth.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    The Thief games are awesome. Deadly Shadows is personally my favorite. They haven't aged super well, but they're definitely still playable.

Deleted
    Thanks for the answers.

Also, is there a different between Thief™ Gold and Thief: Deadly Shadows? I'm not sure if I should buy both if they're the same game.