Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Hey again,

I've just ordered the stuff, I was just wondering the max amount of memory I could have as at the moment I have 8GB and was wondering how much it would cost to go to 16GB if the new stuff can handle it.

It's definitely not worth doing, basically nothing uses more than 8GB at the moment, with the few exceptions being mostly very heavy rendering applications, so you're not going to feel the performance increase. It would be about 40-50£ anyways.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    It's definitely not worth doing, basically nothing uses more than 8GB at the moment, with the few exceptions being mostly very heavy rendering applications, so you're not going to feel the performance increase. It would be about 40-50£ anyways.
    oh ok, so I guess it would be better for me to just save the extra money

Quote Originally Posted by CerkieGaming View Post
    oh ok, so I guess it would be better for me to just save the extra money
    Yeah, indeed. Chances are that when that amount of RAM will be needed we'll already have DDR4 out.

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted
    Right so finished putting all the parts in to my computer with a bit of struggle and I've got some questions I need aswering..

1. When installing the motherboard there is these little metal spacers where you screw the motherboard in to on my old motherboard it only had 8, but on the new one I had 9, is it ok to leave one out or will it do my computer harm.

2. When will I know if I did something wrong?

3. The new cooler is actually touching the side of my case I've linked a picture to show you guys, I'm scared it will melt the plastic.

4. I also have this all the time on both my monitors now.

Last edited by mmoc40dbe8f16e; 2013-08-13 at 03:23 PM.

The windows thing is because you'd be better off reinstalling everything due to having changed motherboard. Don't worry too much about the 9th screw, it's not gonna compromise physical stability. Do you mind taking a picture with all the rig so I can see if fans are set up correctly?

Deleted
    The windows thing is because you'd be better off reinstalling everything due to having changed motherboard. Don't worry too much about the 9th screw, it's not gonna compromise physical stability. Do you mind taking a picture with all the rig so I can see if fans are set up correctly?
    So should I just open the side up and take a overview picture of it? also do you mean just reinstall windows as I don't have a windows box

So should I just open the side up and take a overview picture of it? also do you mean just reinstall windows as I don't have a windows box
    Yes to both questions.

Deleted
    Yes to both questions.

I don't have a windows installation disk to re-install windows is there another way I could do it?

If you have the serial key just download a copy and use your serial key. You might need to call microsoft to have them make it usable again.

Deleted
    I only bought this computer around 6 months ago so hopefully it's still active, so I just go to Microsoft and download it from there I guess?

I took a few pictures just incase

From what I'm seeing your PSU is top-mounted? You might want to turn the fan outside if so, right now it's blowing hot air right into the CPU.

Also, most people usually have the CPU cooler going from the front of the case to the back instead of from bottom to upper side. Not that it makes a world of difference but it should run a few degrees cooler the first way.

Deleted
    Here's the picture of the otherside

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/egfn.jpg/

The CPU is at the bottom under them pipes.

I checked a video on the internet of someone installing it and by the looks of things one fan pushes the air in ---> | | ----> and the other one drags it out.
    Last edited by mmoc40dbe8f16e; 2013-08-13 at 04:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 99% sure you have the Havik cooler installed the wrong way. It should point the fans towards the back, not up/down. The entire cooler needs to be dismounted and rotated. Double check the instructions.

- - - Updated - - -

fan pushes the air in ---> | | ----> and the other one drags it out.
    Correct... But it should be like this:

Back of case) <---||<--- (Front of case
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm 99% sure you have the Havik cooler installed the wrong way. It should point the fans towards the back, not up/down. The entire cooler needs to be dismounted and rotated. Double check the instructions.

- - - Updated - - -

Correct... But it should be like this:

Back of case) <---||<--- (Front of case
    I actually tried fitting it that way but the bar that holds the fan in place seem to be too long and I couldn't get it to fit.
    If I have indeed fitted it the wrong way I could try to get it to fit

10+ Year Old Account
    What exactly 'doesnt fit'? The plate that is near the motherboard, or the clips that are attached to the fan itself?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Hooray! I got it to fit, here are some new pics.

I also just noticed there are arrows on the side of the fans to show you which way up they go and which way they push air

^> | | ^>

Now all I am worried about is how close the top of it is against the plastic on my computer case.
    Also do I need to re-install windows and how would I do it without a disk?

10+ Year Old Account
    Now all I am worried about is how close the top of it is against the plastic on my computer case.
    Is it actually touching? I know my EVO is either within millimeters of my panel, or maybe even gently resting against it.
    Also do I need to re-install windows and how would I do it without a disk?
    Remind me, as this is 3 pages long now, what your situation was? You upgraded the CPU/GPU and now need to reinstall windows 8 but don't have the CD?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Is it actually touching? I know my EVO is either within millimeters of my panel, or maybe even gently resting against it.

I think it is like 1mm away or something if you slightly press the case you can hear it tap on the top of the fan.

Remind me, as this is 3 pages long now, what your situation was? You upgraded the CPU/GPU and now need to reinstall windows 8 but don't have the CD?
    I upgraded my Motherboard,CPU and FAN - Fluorescent0 said it would be better if I re-installed it all. Yes I don't have the CD for windows as I bought the PC ready built and it never came with the CD

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have the license key, you should be able to download the Win8 ISO and either put it on DVD, or flash drive.