Ideal 10 man comp for 5.4

Hey guys, I'm getting some friends together and we're going to start raiding again, and we're looking to put together as an efficient group as possible. For those who have tested the fights on the PTR, do you have any insight on what classes are better suited for whats ahead?

Thanks in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanks - Prot Paladin, Brewmaster
    DPS - Mage, Warlock, Ele Shaman, Hunter, Boomkin, Priest
    Healer - Resto Shaman, Holy Paladin, Priest

That'd give you the choice of running Holy+Disc for the priest, or Holy/Disc + Shadow.

Whilst melee are still looking fairly solid, there are always fights where melee struggle and there are rarely fights when ranged struggle. If you must take a melee, Ret Paladin is still looking fairly decent and provides great all round utility as well.

Just my opinion of course!

Could always run with 5 Warlocks and a Mage for Heroism of course

It's all fairly subjective though I guess!

- - - Updated - - -

... Any balanced group is going to work well from a DPS perspective. Warlock and Mage are really pwning at the moment and Prot Paladin and Brewmaster are looking like they are going to stay on top for tanks next tier as well. Holy Paladin/Resto Druid/Priest provide a strong mixed style healing team and will continue to do so as well.

Just try not to stack multiple of the same class unless it's mega OP! :P
    <Judge> Alonsus-EU. 6/8M Uldir
    Prot Paladin
    RECRUITING FOR BFA!

http://raidcomp.mmo-champion.com/?c=...00000000000000

As I've stated before in other topics like this -
    The main complaint every 10 man seems to have is loot-wasteage. This comp optimizes loot:

Spirit-cloth - Priest.
    Hit-cloth - Warlock.
    Int leather - Boomkin.
    Agi leather - rogue (+daggers/axes).
    Agi mail - hunter (+ranged weps).
    Int mail - Ele shammy.
    Str haste plate - prot pally.
    Str crit plate - prot warr.
    Str tank plate - DK.
    1H str - Prot/Warr, shields for pto.
    2H str - DK.
    Int plate - Hpally.

Along with this, the vast majority of the raid has raid CD's - the only ones without would be the Hunter (theoretically the lock unless you count Healthstones, which I'd say you should).

You've got the option of any of the 3x hybrids being a healer with no damage to the buff/debuff setup - want a resto shaman+pally, go for it, you lose nothing. Same goes for resto druid+hpally, or if you want a third healer (either shaman or druid).

Decent multi-dotting capabilities (boomkin+afflic+spriest is the "best" you can get, with shaman/pally healing).

This is, of course, based entirely on the strength of the setup in terms of progressing. We don't really know which classes will be stupidly OP yet, as Blizz is now in process of tuning classes. With the above setup, you can't really go wrong, though :3.

Don't go in shaman forums, they would have u believe ele and enhance are being nerfed into the ground.

Dk tank is very viable, be nice to pair with brewmaster. They will get blood charges and crit with avoidance stats

I would imagine something like:

Tanks: Pally/DK/Warrior (in order of preference), Brewmaster/Druid (in order of preference)
    Heals: Holy Pally, Disc Priest, Resto Druid or Mistweaver Monk
    DPS: Hunter, Mage, Warlock, DK/Warrior, Ele Shaman

No wasted loot (well, other than tank plate not being optimal, but it's not really "wasted" if it's a large upgrade), some competition (Mage/Warlock). Not sure on pure min/max performance though since I'm not sure how Ele Shamans are.

If you wanted raw power probably run another Lock w/different spec in place of the Shaman.

In my case though we can't be choosy so my guild will use: Prot Pally, Bear, Holy Pally, Disc Priest, Resto Druid, Mage, Warlock, Enh Shaman (presumably) and probably 2 Hunters as that's who we have.
    Last edited by Nobleshield; 2013-08-14 at 02:41 PM.

Deleted
    I would without a doubt bring a restoration druid considering the buffs they are getting in 5.4, resto druids are going to be awesome. I would have a core heal team consisting of priest+druid, with probably a resto/ele shammy for 2 heal fights.

I wouldn't discount Disc/MW simply for the raw DPS output you can get, their nice CDs, and their lack of real mana issues.

We 2-healed nearly every HC progression fight (3 healed Meg and Qon when learning IIRC, maybe twins on first kill too) easily with ProtPal/BrM + MW/Disc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    That is true, though druids are getting 'atonement' with wrath, so druids will also be able to dish out a decent amount of damage now on those low throughput fight. Either that, or going heart of the wild or those fights that are 7+ minutes, adds a ton of raid damage aswell.

All in all, disc + mw or resto druid seems like a very safe bet for the first 2 healers, the third should preferably be someone with a dps off spec, or even better, a dps with healing off spec.

If you do not have any agility users you could go for a disc+resto druid+mw/ww monk, otherwise disc+mw+moonkin/resto works great too. It creates a bit of gear overlapping, yes, but nothing that is out of control. It is still only 8 items that are shared between your armor type, 5 of which can be gotten through tier which is shared anyways. So you are not really gimping yourself that hard.

You still share trinkets, rings, necks and weapons regardless of what healers you got.

Out of curiosity given the healing combo of Disc Priest/Holy Pally/Resto Druid, which one would swap out to DPS? On one hand, the Resto Druid could have a Balance o/s and ranged is always better than melee, but if Disc+Resto is going to be a very good combo it might be worth it to add another melee. Since Resto Shamans still don't seem to be good on 10s, other than the Priest/Druid you'd have a melee DPS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    Out of curiosity given the healing combo of Disc Priest/Holy Pally/Resto Druid, which one would swap out to DPS? On one hand, the Resto Druid could have a Balance o/s and ranged is always better than melee, but if Disc+Resto is going to be a very good combo it might be worth it to add another melee. Since Resto Shamans still don't seem to be good on 10s, other than the Priest/Druid you'd have a melee DPS.
    I would in all honesty swap out the holy paladin completely in favor of another class, but if you are stuck with a paladin, I would have either the paladin or the druid swapping to dps, whichever feels the most comfortable doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    I would in all honesty swap out the holy paladin completely in favor of another class, but if you are stuck with a paladin, I would have either the paladin or the druid swapping to dps, whichever feels the most comfortable doing so.
    In favor of what (under ideal circumstances that you could get anything you want ofc)? Shaman? Mistweaver, even if there's overlap with the Resto druid?

Curious only because at one point our Holy Pally wanted to play his Monk (Windwalker) and we made him go heals because we had to replace a Mistweaver that wasn't performing adequately at all (not enough heals, not using CDs properly, etc.). I don't keep up too much with the state of healers to know what is good/bad at any given time.
    Last edited by Nobleshield; 2013-08-14 at 03:58 PM.

In favor of what (under ideal circumstances that you could get anything you want ofc)? Shaman? Mistweaver, even if there's overlap with the Resto druid?

Curious only because at one point our Holy Pally wanted to play his Monk (Windwalker) and we made him go heals because we had to replace a Mistweaver that wasn't performing adequately at all (not enough heals, not using CDs properly, etc.)
    Unless you have an Spriest, I'd say Shaman, and use him as the swing-healer. Get Spell Haste that way, and Anhk is always nice. Plus, on 2heal fights, Ele is shaping up to be stronk again.

We're likely going to use MW/Disc + HPal swing again, simply because we don't have other options (our Sham quit) and it will definitely still be doable, but I kind of agree that Disc/RDruid + NOT paladin would be a good setup. MW wouldn't be bad, but the shaman brings strong direct heals instead of more hot-blankets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    I would probably pick a mistweaver or shaman as the third healer yes. If you pick up shaman, he needs to have dps off spec. If you pick up a monk either him or the druid needs it.

Edit: Yeah, what nairobi said aswell.

The two most solid healer comps are probably

Disc + Druid/Monk + Resto/Ele shammy
    or
    Disc+druid+monk

Shammies just make for a great third healer, since they dont really share armor class with anyone and have a great dps off spec which got nice utility.

Anything with a holy paladin is fucked, Disc priests have kinda fallen out of flavor but they are still very strong healers but they lost a lot because of the legendary not doing anything for shields and tons for druids, shaman, monks

Tank: Prot pala, Brew monk
    Healers: Rdruid, Rshaman
    DPS:
    Mage(Always good)
    Warlock(group portal is always needed)
    Rogue(They can avoid a lot of mechanics with smoke bomb and cloak. They are also decent melee dps)
    Shadow priest(with Disc OS)
    Hunter(usually good to have a hunter that can cover extra buffs)

Rest is kinda open I would roll with 2 more range so you have normally 1 melee and 2 on all 1 tank fights
    elemental shaman is decent because they have a lot of off-healing and strong AoE but they got screwed this build so dunno
    boomkin, ele sham or 2nd mage I would say

I guess there might be a weird fight that you might wanna have 3 tanks on for some reason like dark animus or amber shaper so throwing in a warrior as last dps might be okay but you will run into a lot of problems on 1 tank fights that dont favor melee because running 3 melee on a lot of fights is really bad

If you are planning on just killing normal modes and not touching HCs just do whatever and if someone has a geared char never reroll in MoP unless you already have the legendary on the alt and decent gear. Any 540 healer with legendary can beat a 520 disc without legendary so don't reroll is my tip
    Last edited by Axelond; 2013-08-14 at 04:08 PM.

Excellent, will keep that in mind. We had our SPriest switch to Mage and we have 2x Hunters.. it's an odd situation for our guild as we could let her go back to Spriest and get a Mage to replace one of the Hunters (good DPS but not that good with awareness), but said Mage left before when the guild was struggling on Horridon and doesn't get along with the other Hunter or the Holy Pally (who is 12 and the Mage doesn't like children). Anyways won't derail the thread with my guild drama lol more or less curious since I'm the only one who looks at raid comp as a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Axelond View Post
    Anything with a holy paladin is fucked, Disc priests have kinda fallen out of flavor but they are still very strong healers but they lost a lot because of the legendary not doing anything for shields and tons for druids, shaman, monks
    What have you been smoking, the meta not doing anything for disc shields? It completly negates the mana cost, just like any other spell. Heck, time a Halo with it, 40K mana saved (most expensive healing spell I can think of).
    If you're talking about the rapture change, that's still just 1 shield every 12 seconds it returns the mana cost of - and even then, if you cast that shield under the meta, you'll spend 0 mana and get 13.7K back.

I also don't really see the issue with Holy Paladins in a 10 man enviroment. Sure, EF has been nerfed, but their mastery in general hasn 't - rolling Sacred shield on a third of the raid instead of EF, while still providing big direct absorbs isn't as bad as you'd think.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    I also don't really see the issue with Holy Paladins in a 10 man enviroment. Sure, EF has been nerfed, but their mastery in general hasn 't - rolling Sacred shield on a third of the raid instead of EF, while still providing big direct absorbs isn't as bad as you'd think.
    Paladins provides a lot lower damage done compared to mistweaver, priests and druids. Their raid cds are also a lot worse, their mobility is worse than druids and priests, their healing throughput is worse, their tank support cds are worse.

Also say a druids symbiosis allows you to do some cool stuff on certain fights.

All in all, paladins work, all healers work, but a paladin is in no way superior to any of the mainstream healers other than in some rosetinted eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    What have you been smoking, the meta not doing anything for disc shields?
    I think he meant the legendary cloak proc.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would imagine something like:

Tanks: Pally/DK/Warrior (in order of preference), Brewmaster/Druid (in order of preference)
    Heals: Holy Pally, Disc Priest, Resto Druid or Mistweaver Monk
    DPS: Hunter, Mage, Warlock, DK/Warrior, Ele Shaman

No wasted loot (well, other than tank plate not being optimal, but it's not really "wasted" if it's a large upgrade), some competition (Mage/Warlock). Not sure on pure min/max performance though since I'm not sure how Ele Shamans are.

WoW... Thats exactly our actual comp: prot pally + bear druid ... disc priest, mw monk, resto druid.... dk, ele shammy, hunter, lock and mage.

Hope it works for 5.4!
    Violence awaits. You can burn with me in hell. Viva la hate!