Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Selt Built PC Won't Power On

Hello!

I'm building a PC and I believe that I have connected all the right cords and everything, but when I plug in my PSU and push the power switch, nothing happens. Linked below is the build that I have bought.

CPU: Integrated with Motherboard
    Motherboard: ASRock E350M1 Mini ITX E-Series E-Series E-350 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
    Storage: Western Digital Scorpio Blue 320GB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN727N 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
    Total: $324.91

One clue as to why my PC isn't turning on is that I have a cord running out of my PSU that leads to a six pin cable in a 3x2 format and a 2 pin cable. These aren't plugged in and I cannot find any matching pins on the motherboard. The six pin cable is labeled PCI-E and the two pin is labeled CPU. On the PSU itself where the cord comes out, it has text that reads "6+2 PCI-E & 4+4 CPU".

Could I get some help? Thanks!

The two pin plugs into the motherboard most likely.

PCI-E will most likely plug into the PCI-E slot on the video card depending on what you have.

I'd make sure to look at your motherboard's manual and the power supply manual to make sure all your connections are correct.

It sounds to me though that you do not have the power running to the motherboard.

I'll take another look at the manual and at the motherboard, but I didn't see any two pin slots. I thought that the 24 pin connector to the motherboard is what provided power.

After using Google to find an image of your motherboard I see an ATX slot near the RAM slots. This is a big white rectangle part with square and house openings on it.

Make sure that you have the power supply hook up to that 24 pin connector.

If I am looking at the right picture then I do not see where a 2 or 4 pin would go to power the motherboard.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/E350M1USB3(m).jpg

Is there a green light on your Mobo when its plugged in?

It's possible that you may not have the power button/reset button etc plugged in right.

I at least assume you have the 24in power connector plugged in, and that's the only power plug for this mother board (Which is insanely strange).

In this image: http://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/E350M1USB3(m).jpg if you notice on the bottom there's a long white plugin, it's 24pins that's where your power goes.

Other than that, there is the system panel, which is right beside the 24pin power connector.

I assume you have the manual but if you don't ftp://66.226.78.21/manual/qig/E350M1USB3_multiQIG.pdf and search for "System Panel Header" and just make sure your power buttons and such are plugged in properly.

Double check every single connection you have made. IF you are frustrated, STOP, go take a break and come back. Often you will find the problem. I made the same mistake building mine. :P

Thank you for the replies, everyone.

Yes, I've plugged in the 24 pin connector into the 24 pin slot below the RAM in the pictures that have been linked. I've read through the manual and nothing has popped out at me. I've plugged in the chassis power button and LED cords into the system panel pins as well. There are no lights lit up anywhere on the motherboard or chassis.

I've just tried plugging in the system panel connects backwards, upside downs, and inside out. Nothing. Quick note, there is one pin on the system panel that says "DUMMY" and I do not have it connected to anything. Is this done correctly? I assume so, since the manual says "DUMMY"

You get no lights on the mobo at all? If you don't at least see something either solid/flashing then it is definitely a no power to the mobo thing.

Deleted
    a common first-time error is that you skip/forget to put those "thingies" between the motherboard and the case. it causes a short-circuit. might be the problem.

Alright with that information, I'd recommend testing the PSU on a working PC if you have access to it. It's always possibly the PSU was dead on arrival.

If that works, or you don't have something to test it on, remove everything and only plug in the bare minimum (PSU and Motherboard, no ram or anything and the system panel) and see if you get anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Angella View Post
    You get no lights on the mobo at all? If you don't at least see something either solid/flashing then it is definitely a no power to the mobo thing.
    Well to be honest I don't even see any lights at all on the motherboard, on or off. I don't know if there would be any lights to be turned on anyway.

Other than that, here's what I see as could be the problem...

1. Dead outlet. I've outruled this by plugging in my phone charger and it works.
    2. Dead PSU. I assume it works since it just came out of the box, but it could be dead?
    3. Bad connection? I've tried unplugging and plugging in the 24 pin connection, but I can try again.
    4. ...?

Try loosening the screws mounting the mobo to the case, if they were screwed in too tightly, that could cause it to not power on. That happened to me on the first system I built. Don't know the details but I'm assuming it grounded or something.

Quote Originally Posted by elegorn View Post
    a common first-time error is that you skip/forget to put those "thingies" between the motherboard and the case. it causes a short-circuit. might be the problem.
    Wait those bronze things? I did in fact forget to put them in at first, but since I have put them in, I tried turning it on without the bronze thingies between the mobo and the case. What do you mean by short-circuit, it didn't break my board did it?

Quote Originally Posted by Carb View Post
    Wait those bronze things? I did in fact forget to put them in at first, but since I have put them in, I tried turning it on without the bronze thingies between the mobo and the case. What do you mean by short-circuit, it didn't break my board did it?
    ngghh... if you forgot to put in the standoffs and turned on the mobo while all the soldered leads were all touching the same piece of metal you might have fucked yourself. >:|

Quote Originally Posted by Charo View Post
    ngghh... if you forgot to put in the standoffs and turned on the mobo while all the soldered leads were all touching the same piece of metal you might have fucked yourself. >:|
    As in, the board is broken? Hmm, but how would I determine for sure this is the issue? I don't want to buy another motherboard and try it out and end up discovering the problem was something else entirely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are the standoffs in there NOW?

It also might be worthwhile to do the 'paperclip test' on the PSU
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Are the standoffs in there NOW?
    Yes there are, and it is still not turning on.

Quote Originally Posted by Carb View Post
    Those things are essentially there to protect the motherboard, otherwise it sits on the case chasis and any static around it can shock the board and take it out. As long as your case isn't sitting on like carpet it might be ok, it's not often that it will take out the motherboard but sometimes it does unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    Those things are essentially there to protect the motherboard, otherwise it sits on the case chasis and any static around it can shock the board and take it out. As long as your case isn't sitting on like carpet it might be ok, it's not often that it will take out the motherboard but sometimes it does unfortunately.
    During the entire build I had all components sit on a wooden table and while I do not have one of those fancy braclet connections, I tied my wrist to a pie of rope connected to the case during the build.