Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

LGTB in online gaming..

In the last 4 years I've known or been friends with 3 people who've committed suicide within the LGBT community. Two of the three came out as being transgender and the other was gay. Now, I will say that I live in Utah and the hatred towards this segment of our community is beyond words. I have never understood why people have such hatred towards another human being in how that other person loves and expresses themselves. Whom you love or how you look doesn't define you as a person, how you treat yourself and those around you very much defines you and your character.

The question is, within the scope of online gaming do you come across those who would fall into this group and if so do you treat them with the same respect and kindness you would anyone else? Or do you shy away from actually gaming because you're worried that someone may hit on you or that some how magically you're going to find yourself in that group?

I've played WoW on and off since 2009, I've never come across in-game anyone who was openly apart of the LGBT community and I wonder if there is as much far of being abused in-game as there is in everyday life. I would imagine so and that's so sad to me.

For the record, I am transgendered. Yes, let the trolling begin. I have known ALL my life that I am different and that something went horribly wrong as my body formed and my brain wired itself. It isn't a choice, just as you choosing to be straight or your heart beating isn't a choice. Imagine waking up every single day and hating the body your in so much that it causes physical pain and suffering. Imagine hating your body so much that you don't want to bathe yourself. Imagine hating yourself so much that the ONLY way to be happy in life is either change or kill yourself.

That's a very small insight into what it is like being transgendered. Then you throw the hatred the world piles on you on top of that, it's pretty easy to see why people kill themselves.

I keep my private life very, very private and very few of my friends know that I've changed my outside to more align with my inside. That doesn't make me a bad person, what would make me a bad person is being bad to other human beings or not taking personal responsibility for my life.

I am not telling you who I am to either get you to accept me or the LGBT community, that's your choice. But what I would hope is that when you come across someone who is in the LGBT community in-game consider that they are people too, that they have feelings the same as you do and that their life choice doesn't make them a bad person and that folks in the LGBT community love gaming as much as you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really pay attention to who is or isn't gay. I've met nice gay people and I've met jackass gay people. I was in a LGBT-friendly guild for a long time, and most of them started out really nice, and then a couple of them became absolute assholes because they wanted to become a raid guild and started treating people like shit.

People are people, I don't care who you like to doink, I'll treat you like I treat everyone else.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

As for as sexual orientations are concerned (and no harm is done e.g. pedophiles molesting children), no it's irrelevant.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    I don't really care who, or what you are.

That probably already distinguishes me from the majority of online gamers, but i think very little actually harbor any real feelings of hatred towards gays and the likes.

It's just them parroting words others use, such as "Nigger" "fag" and all the "Get in the kitchen" stuff.

-

I saw a study though, about transgenders and their life expectancy - it was somewhere around 30, and the top cause of death was suicide. It made for grim reading, but i'll dig it up and see.

10+ Year Old Account
    i don't care what/who you are, i don't even want to know your orientation while playing!!
    dragonmaw - EU

One of my toons is in an "LGBT" guild, I'm straight myself but my former guild disbanded and I along with a few friends joined the guild, they're really cool people. Personally I'm indifferent to your sexual orientation/religion/race etc, if you're cool and treat me with respect I'll do the same.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

The issue at it's most simplified threatens the core of the belief system that assuages their(the bigots) fear of death.

Do not expect it to change in our lifetimes, they will always want their safety blanket.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    i don't care what/who you are, i don't even want to know your orientation while playing!!
    That's true for me also, but sometimes it slips out - like talking of a partner, speaking of a day IRL.

And then some people in online gaming, foster close relationships with others; and discuss stuff much more indepth with each other.

Generally speaking though, i agree with you - keep your sexuality behind the door while we raid...

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    this is exactly how i feel. when i'm playing wow, i don't picture my fellow guildies as people. i picture them as their race and class in game. to see a picture of them as a person just blows my mind.

and in regards to the transgender life expectancy of the 30s, i wonder how much of that has to do with being oppressed by people who believe in an all knowing, loving being.

i dont care

sticking your cock in another mans arse has nothing to do with slaying dragons

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psynyx View Post
    In the last 4 years I've known or been friends with 3 people who've committed suicide within the LGBT community. Two of the three came out as being transgender and the other was gay. Now, I will say that I live in Utah and the hatred towards this segment of our community is beyond words. I have never understood why people have such hatred towards another human being in how that other person loves and expresses themselves. Whom you love or how you look doesn't define you as a person, how you treat yourself and those around you very much defines you and your character.

The question is, within the scope of online gaming do you come across those who would fall into this group and if so do you treat them with the same respect and kindness you would anyone else? Or do you shy away from actually gaming because you're worried that someone may hit on you or that some how magically you're going to find yourself in that group?

I've played WoW on and off since 2009, I've never come across in-game anyone who was openly apart of the LGBT community and I wonder if there is as much far of being abused in-game as there is in everyday life. I would imagine so and that's so sad to me.

For the record, I am transgendered. Yes, let the trolling begin. I have known ALL my life that I am different and that something went horribly wrong as my body formed and my brain wired itself. It isn't a choice, just as you choosing to be straight or your heart beating isn't a choice. Imagine waking up every single day and hating the body your in so much that it causes physical pain and suffering. Imagine hating your body so much that you don't want to bathe yourself. Imagine hating yourself so much that the ONLY way to be happy in life is either change or kill yourself.

That's a very small insight into what it is like being transgendered. Then you throw the hatred the world piles on you on top of that, it's pretty easy to see why people kill themselves.

I keep my private life very, very private and very few of my friends know that I've changed my outside to more align with my inside. That doesn't make me a bad person, what would make me a bad person is being bad to other human beings or not taking personal responsibility for my life.

I am not telling you who I am to either get you to accept me or the LGBT community, that's your choice. But what I would hope is that when you come across someone who is in the LGBT community in-game consider that they are people too, that they have feelings the same as you do and that their life choice doesn't make them a bad person and that folks in the LGBT community love gaming as much as you do.
    I understand you completely and I fully agree with you, I don't understand all the hate either. It's illogical and always based on ignorance.

I don't care what faith you have, who you love or who you vote for, you can still be a good person. Or a bad person.

I don't see the point of hating someone for their sexual orientation. It is just childish and immature. Personally I'm an equal opportunist. I hate everyone equally.

religion is a cancer that kills those who are different

Infracted: Please refrain from religion bashing.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-08-18 at 07:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most gay people I've met have had attitudes. Thankfully I analyze it as outliers.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly OP, you shouldn't let anything get to you when playing an online game. Everyone is an asshole, not just in WoW that's just the side effect of an online community with little to no accountability.

I don't give out special treatment to anyone I play with. I don't care if you are gay, transgender, black, asian, hispanic, white, furry, w/e. If you piss me off because you do something stupid or aren't listening I'll be mean/yell at you. That said, I have played with gay people before countless times, I have nothing against them. Some of the nicest people I've ever met where a lesbian couple in my guild; we use to run Uldar and other old raids almost every week. As long as people have some level of maturity I don't care who they are. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Masochist View Post
    i dont care

Also this +1; rofl.
    Last edited by Fullmetal89; 2013-08-18 at 06:30 PM.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Most gay people I've met have had attitudes. Thankfully I analyze it as outliers.
    I've met more cool ones than douchey ones on WOW, but it seems like the ones with attitude only have it as a defensive mechanism.
    I personally couldn't care less about a person's orientation or gender identity. That kind of of personal information should be irrelevant to the gaming experience but, unfortunately, for some people, it just plain isn't. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

It's because mormons are backwards... Silly Utah.
    Last edited by nomorepriest; 2013-08-18 at 06:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am part of that group, being bi myself. If someone else is part of the LGTB community, good for them, I'm not going to treat them any differently than if they weren't. If they're dicks, I'll ignore/report them, if they're nice, I'll still play with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masochist View Post
    i dont care

you put that so elegantly.
    dragonmaw - EU

Quote Originally Posted by Psynyx View Post
    I'm as open as it gets, maybe you're just unlucky.