Quote Originally Posted by Charecters View Post
    I have a question about jobs, Is there any downside to not getting a job? For example I want to play an archer as DPS but they go into Bards and a lot of people have been telling me Bards are Support but some people have also said they might be top dps. I don't want to play Bard as support because I wanna play a DPS class could I just stay archer or do I have to go into a Bard?
    Bard is played as a DPS class with minimal supporting ability. It had the highest DPS of any class / job in phase 3. I would say that there is no reason not getting it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stayfrostee View Post
    damn, i did the same thing because i thought it was just useless and i didnt need it once i got the upgrade

I am sooooo buying the players guide for the game, gonna be at DragonCon next week, so i wont be playing much on releae (servers will probably be screwed so no biggie there) so on my downtime i plan on studying the book, so i have a clue about what im doing
    Really?! But... the internet is like... right there. *points to everything*
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Ok, playing into beta currently and spending much more time than my previous attempt I have to say that I like it very much. Combat feels awesome and the characters are very beautiful. Since the first post is not updated, is there any Fansite that have guide/Faq on class/jobs/crafting, e.t.c.? Only I found is http://eorzeareborn.com/ which is good, but looking for more ty
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Whelp, I'm glad they did extend the beta, allowed me to add level 17 CNJ to my other 3 level 20s. Now if I ever need to raise someone I can actually do it =p

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    There's a monthly fee as well, isn't there? It was pretty much the only thing keeping me from really getting around this game.
    I'm aware of that, as well as Yoshida's statement concerning it. It's half the reason I'm even considering playing this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickyz View Post
    Now, i have a question:

In order for me to become a White Mage, i need to have Conjurer at lvl 30 and Arcanist at 15 right?

Kind Regards,
    Didn't see this get answered back there: yes. 30 CNJ, 15 ACN. You'll also pull skills from THM later on but it's not required to get the job unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    So now that beta is coming to an end and some new folks got the chance to try the game out.. what are peoples general thoughts on the game? Does it have potential to be a major player in the MMO market?
    To answer that second question right off the bat: that is a big fat flat freaking NO. This MMO may top out at 1mil subs, but that is about the best it will do. It is catering to a very niche market. On the flip side, XI shows it doesn't need 12mil subs to stay strong. I'm sure that if XIV has as much care and support that XI got, it'll last just as long.

As for my thoughts on the game: it's exactly what I wanted (and what it should be), a multiplayer Final Fantasy game. Sure the game has a lot of MMO elements to it, but they take a backseat to all the Fanfare Square Enix provides. For anyone who loves Final Fantasy, this game is worth playing.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    any idea if the toons we created during the beta will remain until Saturday ?
    Haven't heard anything about a wipe so far, so for now it's safe to say that, yes, they'll be there Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    If Bard plays the same as it did in FFXI - Then it is probably one of the greatest support classes in the game. It didn't do much in a DPS Role but its ability to debuff mobs and buff parties and raids was highly sought after.
    BRD is strictly DPS, as in, they only have 4 support spells currently. 3 auras, and 1 shout CD.
    Last edited by Jarinolde; 2013-08-19 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    But, but, player's guides are more fun to read :O
    I have so many for final fantasy actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    This game has ruined WoW for me >.<
    I agree. Going back to WoW right now feels gross, but hey! Only a week to go!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    Ok, playing into beta currently and spending much more time than my previous attempt I have to say that I like it very much. Combat feels awesome and the characters are very beautiful. Since the first post is not updated, is there any Fansite that have guide/Faq on class/jobs/crafting, e.t.c.? Only I found is http://eorzeareborn.com/ which is good, but looking for more ty
    I found this website very helpful http://www.ffxivinfo.com/
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarinolde View Post
    To answer that second question right off the bat: that is a big fat flat freaking NO. This MMO may top out at 1mil subs, but that is about the best it will do. It is catering to a very niche market. On the flip side, XI shows it doesn't need 12mil subs to stay strong. I'm sure that if XIV has as much care and support that XI got, it'll last just as long.
    I imagine that 1,000,000 players in a subscription-based MMO would be considered extremely successful, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    i can read my players guide on the toilet

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmalya View Post
    Well Pvp will have its own skill set one day and i hope they put a good thought in that because right now there is a hug cap in balance between certain classes.
    Esp with casters that can keep sprint on cd while putting out really terrifying dmg. Archers shooting on the run. I really can't see melees having any fun in pvp yet
    PVP won't even be implemented until the first patch. Open beta was the only time you will ever get to use your PVE abilities in PVP.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    Problem with WoW is that with their new concepts (tight enrage timers for raid bosses, etc.), everything is balanced to death around hc raids, leaving no room for anything else (like same alternative advancement).

That's why I am still waiting on buying FF XIV, just to see what max level will be about. I am afraid it gonna be same like WoW, with everything being balanced around raids as cornerstone. With all the consequent issues.
    But what I said does not only happen to Heroic raids or professional raiding...people complain about regular guilds too that usually outgear the content they do and shouldn't have problem about 3-5% dmg

Quote Originally Posted by dennisdkramer View Post
    imo it sort of depends on the focus of the game. GW2 for example is completely imbalanced, but its okay because its such a casual game with no competitive endgame. I'm not sure what FF14 is going for, but if there is going to be raiding, for example, the classes need to be at least *sort of* balanced. WoW has done pretty good with class distinction - people do cry about it but at the end of the day a mage plays completely different from a warlock, etc etc.. its actually the balance that blizz has failed at lately, with some classes doing as much as 20% less damage than others in real-world scenarios.
    The problem with wow is that the only thing matter in raids is Damage balance. Since everyone can bring everything, the choice criteria is damage and gear. In TBC Shadow priest may did much less damage than a rogue for example, but they did bring awesome mana regen to the group. Shamans had the heroism, mage had the cc, Pala had the aoe tank, e.t.c. Now you don't chose classes depending on their uniqueness but depending on their damage output. So, yes it hugely depends on game design at the end

Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    I found this website very helpful http://www.ffxivinfo.com/
    Thanks a lot, I ll check it out
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    I imagine that 1,000,000 players in a subscription-based MMO would be considered extremely successful, yeah?
    Yes, I would consider that a "major player" in the market. You can't judge everything by WoW's standard of success: it's an outlier that no other game has come anywhere near to matching.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 7seti View Post
    Yes, I would consider that a "major player" in the market. You can't judge everything by WoW's standard of success: it's an outlier that no other game has come anywhere near to matching.
    McDonalds has sold over a billion people, still crap food, Gordon Ramsays restaurants haven't sold as many but it's better food in other words I would rather have the better quality and deal with less success than WoW.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarinolde View Post
    Whelp, I'm glad they did extend the beta, allowed me to add level 17 CNJ to my other 3 level 20s. Now if I ever need to raise someone I can actually do it =p

I'm aware of that, as well as Yoshida's statement concerning it. It's half the reason I'm even considering playing this game.

Didn't see this get answered back there: yes. 30 CNJ, 15 ACN. You'll also pull skills from THM later on but it's not required to get the job unlocked.

As for my thoughts on the game: it's exactly what I wanted (and what it should be), a multiplayer Final Fantasy game. Sure the game has a lot of MMO elements to it, but they take a backseat to all the Fanfare Square Enix provides. For anyone who loves Final Fantasy, this game is worth playing.

Haven't heard anything about a wipe so far, so for now it's safe to say that, yes, they'll be there Saturday.

BRD is strictly DPS, as in, they only have 4 support spells currently. 3 auras, and 1 shout CD.
    How in the world did you get 3 20s? Did you play non-stop or is there some secret fast leveling method?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    How in the world did you get 3 20s? Did you play non-stop or is there some secret fast leveling method?
    The XP gain for alts is MUCH higher, and people were churning through levels by doing fates in Middle La Noscea.

I saw this on Reddit.....

Last edited by mmoc3f9c23ccd2; 2013-08-19 at 03:58 PM. Reason: thumbnailed

Quote Originally Posted by Yowser View Post
    The XP gain for alts is MUCH higher.
    How?! I know you get 50% more XP from killing NPCs and from Fates. On my first ALT, I ran out of quests at level 10. My hunting book level 1 was already completed and it still took me like 5 or so hours just to hit level 15... This guy has all level 20s in 3 days? lol.

Deleted
    How?! I know you get 50% more XP from killing NPCs and from Fates. On my first ALT, I ran out of quests at level 10. My hunting book level 1 was already completed and it still took me like 5 or so hours just to hit level 15... This guy has all level 20s in 3 days? lol.
    For alts you do all the side quests, levequests, guildleves, hunting logs and Fates.

The person with nearly all level 20's description on Reddit was :

1-8 hunting log + 2 class quest
    8-16 grinding FATE in Middle La Noscea
    16-20 Qing for dungeons while lvling next class, 2nd hunting log, 2 others class quests, continuing main quest when I had the lvl for it (I finished it with my second to last class) and doing quests around the main quest area

Quote Originally Posted by Yowser View Post
    For alts you do all the side quests, levequests, guildleves, hunting logs and Fates.
    So you're saying I can easily level by just doing main quests on my main class? Because I went around doing every quest I can find on my main class until I hit 20. You're saying all I needed to do was the main story quest?

lol. I was wondering why I was getting +50% xp for everything lol

I got my Arcanist to 13. Explored the rest of the time. Solo'd a few of the fates on my BLM (lvl synced down to fate level +5). I believe I have most of the Aetherpoints and chocobo porters.

Farmed a lot of crafting stuff. Made about a mil. Got a few pets. Did all 5 dungeons that were open.

Cant wait until headstart to do more.

Im on Balmung.
    Last edited by babalou1; 2013-08-19 at 04:06 PM.

Deleted
    So you're saying I can easily level by just doing main quests on my main class? Because I went around doing every quest I can find on my main class until I hit 20. You're saying all I needed to do was the main story quest?
    Yeh, I avoided nearly all the side quests on my First class, so I could save them for alts, and on my combat alts I didnt do the inner-city side quests, so I can save them for crafting alts as they are all non-combat style quests.

I didnt get to play most of sunday (Server full msg) and ended with :

LCN - 20
    MRD - 20
    PUG - 15

MNR - 10
    ARM - 10
    Last edited by mmoc3f9c23ccd2; 2013-08-19 at 04:08 PM.