Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

What is the point of Raiding?

What is the point of raiding when your gear is going to be reset every few patches? It just makes everything you did a huge waste of time, i understand that playing the game is itself a waste of time, but when you bang your head on your keyboard for hours trying to down a boss for a BiS item only to have it replaced...then whats the point of even trying?

To be the envy of your peer group.

For fun, it's a game O.O
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are a lot of perks:

- Making friends. I found my first raiding guild and signed on as a tank in Ulduar by joining a pug group that was mostly them
    - Extending your own skills, honing yourself to a razor edge in normal/heroic content
    - The joy of downing that bastard of a boss to finally get that upgrade you wanted!
    - The fun of playing with those friends, beyond just making them. I have a lot of great memories of fun times with my raid teams in both current and old content

So you can scream at people with worse gear then you and call them bad in LFR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every few patches is a long time. Don't you ever have fun fighting the bosses in the meantime, and getting gear so you can keep going further and fighting stronger bosses?

If not... then, yeah, you might want to pass on raiding.

This is crazy but i raid for fun and entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Zervek View Post
    What is the point of raiding when your gear is going to be reset every few patches? It just makes everything you did a huge waste of time, i understand that playing the game is itself a waste of time, but when you bang your head on your keyboard for hours trying to down a boss for a BiS item only to have it replaced...then whats the point of even trying?
    Duh... Games are entertainment, always has been, always will be. That's all the point there is to it, and all the point there need to be.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Because gear is not the reason I raid. I enjoy the intense boss battles, and once you kill the boss it's such a great feeling. It's definently worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The point of raiding is to acquire internet ego so you can flex your epeen and make the plebs mad.

In all seriousness though, if you didn't have something to look forward to there wouldn't be any point in playing once you hit level cap. Gear progression certainly isn't as fun as level growth but its something to look forward to for a lot of people. Personally I'm over raiding, and PvP is too broken for me to bother. Once I hit level cap I play casually and mostly spend my time exploring, running old dungeons for mounts etc. The thrill of raiding with a group of friends/guild died off for me after ICC.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Duh... Games are entertainment, always has been, always will be. That's all the point there is to it, and all the point there need to be.
    And to add to that, non-MMO's never update, never continue forward so everything you get becomes pointless in the end. That doesn't stop you from playing and enjoying the game anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    To play the game.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Yeah, I think I'm playing this game for fun even If I gemmed my crappy ilvl 483 helmet then 15 minutes laters I dropped a 502 ilvl
    Same thing after I dropped a ilvl 476 pants then two days after I looted a 522 you know those Angerhide leg armor enchant are expensive

So yeah for fun

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    To be the envy of your peer group.
    This cannot be the overall purpose of raiding, since it can only apply to a minority of those playing. A game based on this value proposition would be a like a ponzi scheme, and would be unsustainable.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

to get bigger numbers (go to 4:20 in video)

10+ Year Old Account
    well like any content in this game it's ultimately designed to entertain a segment of the audience. In an even broader sense it's ultimately to make money for the developers.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Gear and special snowflakiness. It is also fun if your team is fun to hang with.

It's fun and challenging for people, you get to participate in epic battles against fearsome enemies and most often than not kill them. Plus the titles and mounts and all that other junk that comes along side it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The point of raiding is fun.

Entertainment, Socializing, gear.

Doesn't have to be in that order but thats about it.