Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

gamer trolls harming game development

interesting reading, the long and short of it, is that people flaming/trolling/threatening game developers is actually starting to have an effect on game development.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/15/462...support-groups

apologies if this has been posted before
    <insert witty signature here>

Deleted
    Dear god;

WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE BEING HARASSED
    1. Do not retaliate

2. Keep evidence of all harassment

3. Alert your work

4. Contact police

5. Report abuse to service providers such as your cellphone service provide, Twitter and Facebook

6. Contact an Attorney about a possible civil suit

7. Speaking with trustworthy friends about what you are going through could be cathartic

8. Do not befriend the cyberbully

9. Block the cyberbullying at its source

10. Change your e-mail, phone number, or online account completely as a last resort

Source: Cyberbullying Research Center

What the actual fuck now, internet? Grow a thicker skin and stop being a whiny faggot.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-08-20 at 01:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post
    Dear god;

What the actual fuck now, internet? Grow a thicker skin and stop being a whiny faggot.
    Take a chill pill mate
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Turkskanaattori hits the nail on the head there.

Game developers should just ignore trolls, as they are trolls whatever they suggest is just a way of trolling so it's not even close to constructive feedback.

Said trolls will buy their games anyway, to keep on trolling...

I sure hope theydont take them too seriouse...

@Moon Blade; Maybe it's time to have internet police. Death threats should be taken as seriouse on the internet as in real life.
    Last edited by aevitas; 2013-08-20 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aevitas View Post
    Turkskanaattori hits the nail on the head there.

Game developers should just ignore trolls, as they are trolls whatever they suggest is just a way of trolling so it's not even close to constructive feedback.

Said trolls will buy their games anyway, to keep on trolling...

I sure hope theydont take them too seriouse...
    Some do. Like that lady from Bioware. She recently left too citing "family reasons". But we all know she really left because she was harassed and got death threats. Disgusting.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

Thanks for the free demonstration of internet bully.

There's a lot of fucked up and outright insane people around who are stalking game developers IRL and even sending them death threats. Those things need to be taken seriously.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

The problem is that it's "easy" to sit infront of your computer and be a f*uckwad. There is virtually no consequence. Online harassement should be treated as any other type - harder punishment. Would this help? Yes. It all about feeling the consequence

Most trolls and Internet heroes sit at home and feel all powerful and have no idea that their public IP address is being stored whenever they post. Of course there are some who post from public libraries or sit behind proxies, but most are thinking they post anonymously.

Having written that - the main problem is for law enforcement to allocate ressources to deal with it. I'm pretty sure that Internet bullying and harassment is the most widespread "crime" in the world.

Z.

What the actual fuck now, internet?
    >diminishes others with use of a the word faggot
    >has an anime avatar

15+ Year Old Account

To those who say that this is a thing, you probably somehow went trough school with a cloak of invisibility, or you were lucky. Real bullying gets people to kill themselves each year. This is NOT real bullying. I repeat, this is not, real bullying. Some kid who is angry that you nerfed his gun in call of duty isn't going to do anything to you, except press a few keys and write some dumb shit. Like the LoL player who got thrown in jail for saying he's gonna shoot a school and eat children.
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute scroll through twitter." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarles Malarkey View Post
    >has an anime avatar
    Just got back from 4chan, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarles Malarkey View Post
    >has an anime avatar
    Haha, great.

New sig, brilliant.

Deleted
    Dear god;

Or; Please, please, internet, continue allowing me the anonymity to say things to people from behind a keyboard that I would never dream of saying to their face. Better pre-empt the reports by calling them "whiny faggots" in the hopes that will embarrass them to keep their mouths shut allowing the bullying to continue without consequence. Viva la internet!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Srg56 View Post
    [IMG]Real bullying gets people to kill themselves each year.
    I stopped reading right there. Go Google Rehtaeh Parsons, then disconnect your Internet and never go online again.

Z.

I think most of the anger directed at Developers is due to "nerfs" which is quite literally lazy or incompetent developers failing and making their entire customer base pay for it.

The just toss crap out there and see what sticks then remove what doesn't later our customer base be dammed style of programing that Ghostcrawler is the grandfather of or at least can be given credit for making main stream is the worse thing to ever happen to the gaming industry.

This style of developing has removed any and all responsibility from developers, placed the entire burden of dealing with their mistakes on their customer base. It is only natural that there will be loss integrity and trust of their respective companies and anger by their consumer base because of it.

They simply can't expect to be treated any different than they treat, most every bit of anger directed toward them they earned.

The fix is simple no more nerfs!

Once anything is moved off of test servers on to live servers it is a done deal, live should be buffs only. This would shift the burden back to the developers where it belongs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhira View Post
    I stopped reading right there. Go Google Rehtaeh Parsons, then disconnect your Internet and never go online again.

Z.
    Edgy.

I did google it, and failed to see how that case is relevant to this discussion, which apparently is about "cyber bullying", not rape and bullying in real life. The case of Parsons you mentioned was 100% real life, and not ones and zeroes, "angry words" on a forum or twitter.

I'm trying to figure what went trough your head when you wrote that, other than feigning righteous indignation.
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute scroll through twitter." - Winston Churchill

Deleted
    Dear god;

Interesting how you think that everyone else should grow a thicker skin, rather than you should not post insulting comments?

Dear god;

Did you actually read the article and read the examples of what people are saying? They're death threats and threats to rape the developers wives. This is not 'grow a thicker skin, internet'. This is serious stuff, that is really harmful. It makes our community seem immature, violent, and awful, which feeds all the ignorant news stories about gaming.

How on earth can you expect gaming to be treated seriously, with respect, when there's people within our community who refuse to show any respect to anyone else?

Yes, they're words on a screen. But they have a very real effect, and this problem needs to be taken seriously. Or those examples of people losing their jobs, cancelling games, etc? Those will become widespread, and our beloved past time will be reduced to nothing. Nobody will want to develop games when all they get is constant hatred. How can you think that's ok?

10+ Year Old Account
    As painful as it is to agree with someone with an anime avatar, people seriously need to stop acting like such, excuse the word, bitches. Some 13 year old CoD player, or disgruntled WoW player or whatever, most likely isn't going to act on any sort of comment they post online. Is it immature? Sure, but there's no use in catering to the oh-so-delicate feelings of others just to police some idiots. Chances are the people that would actually go through with a "Death threat" wouldn't be posting it online anyway. I also have to laugh at the absolute smugness of Zhira, there's a huge difference between saying some not-so-pleasant things on the internet, and rape, one's a crime, the other isn't and shouldn't be. Disagree? Fight me IRL.

Quote Originally Posted by Srg56 View Post
    To those who say that this is a thing, you probably somehow went trough school with a cloak of invisibility, or you were lucky. Real bullying gets people to kill themselves each year. This is NOT real bullying. I repeat, this is not, real bullying. Some kid who is angry that you nerfed his gun in call of duty isn't going to do anything to you, except press a few keys and write some dumb shit. Like the LoL player who got thrown in jail for saying he's gonna shoot a school and eat children.
    Not real? Read the article in the OP. Specifically, this part:

For Toulouse that consequence-free harassment even included swatting, essentially tricking a law enforcement agency to respond to a person's house for what they think is a violent confrontation.
    Getting ARMED POLICE SENT TO YOUR HOUSE isn't real? How god damn scary would that be? You honestly think that has no effect on a person?