Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Just curious but how does Miami not have the best starting lineup in the league? You have the best player in 30 years, the best SG in basketball, a solid PG who is clutch, a top ten PF and probably Anderson or Battier, both good players.
    Agree with your overall point, but minor quibble - Harden's a better player than Wade at this point of their careers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Nets win 3/5 positions in my book
    I'd agree with the Nets having 3/5 positions, but the thing is that the gap between Lebron and any Net is enormous. Like, enormously enormous. It's almost impossible to overstate just how valuable Lebron is. Also, even though the Nets look good on paper and are presumably unselfish veterans, I want to see that unit in action before I'm totally sure they'll be as good as advertised. I'm a bit worried that they'll fall in love with jump shots for big stretches of games.

I don't know about that. Harden was the number one option in Houston and put up a 25/5/5 while Wade has James/Bosh and put up a 21/5/5. Harden the better 3 pt shooter but Wade shot 52% overall. I admit I did not watch a lot of Harden but he did not seem to make a lot of clutch plays at the end of those playoff games while you know Wade is going to show up when it matters. For one more year at least I am still taking Wade.
    Check out the TS% for each guy - Wade was at 57.1% last year, while Harden was at 60% with a much higher usage rate. Harden's raw FG% isn't that impressive, but he generates a ton of free throws that he makes at a very high rate and takes a ton of threes as well. He's also one of the most efficient pick and roll scorers in the league, and that should only get better now that he has a big that can catch the ball. I don't think it's a hands down huge gap, but if I'm picking between the 24 year old guy that doesn't look to have peaked yet or the 32 year old guy that's on the way down, and they're pretty close, and I'm going to put my money on the young guy.

Tomorrow. Well....*looks at time*

Today. Tuesday. 6 PM. NBATV. Schedule is released. Be there or be square.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/the-unequa...le-of-82-games

Decent breakdown of some of the schedules quirks. The Bulls and Knicks are on national tv 33 times this year. 30 for the Thunder, 29 for the Lakers and Clippers, 27 for the Heat. The Lakers are going to be on ABC, ESPN, or TNT 25 times this season. Those games are either going to be completely unwatchable because the Lakers suck ass, completely unwatchable because Kobe is hurt, or amazing because Kobe will be gunning for the single season scoring record. The Raptors and 6ers play all of once on national TV, which includes NBATV. Poor Raps.

Kind of surprised by that. Chicago obviously big market and solid team, just didnt expect them to be tied with the lead for national TV games when the Heat/Lakers are out there. NY not surprising, biggest city in the US and they are at least somewhat relevant.

Curious who you guys have coming out of the west this year. Thunder, Clippers, Rockets, Spurs, Grizzlies, and Warriors can all make decent cases for having the best season. I think as of right now I would lean toward the Thunder, but I dont feel very confident about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    Kind of surprised by that. Chicago obviously big market and solid team, just didnt expect them to be tied with the lead for national TV games when the Heat/Lakers are out there. NY not surprising, biggest city in the US and they are at least somewhat relevant.

Curious who you guys have coming out of the west this year. Thunder, Clippers, Rockets, Spurs, Grizzlies, and Warriors can all make decent cases for having the best season. I think as of right now I would lean toward the Thunder, but I dont feel very confident about it.
    I think on a night in and night out basis, the Thunder should get the 1st seed in the West. Having two top 10 (or 15 depending on where you put Westbrook), should give them the advantage in most regular season games. I don't see them being all that successful in the playoffs though when they start lining up against the same team game after game. I could see the Clippers getting the 1 seed also for basically the same reason. I'd say that they have a better chance at going deeper in the playoffs to although that is really dependent on Griffin and/or Jordan not being shit from the free throw line so they can produce at the end of games. San Antonio and Memphis will be around for sure. I love Golden State. God damn it are they going to be fun to watch this year. Their success is going to come down to health though. If Bogut and Curry can manage to not shatter, they are going to be awesome. I have no idea how good Houston is going to be, but Harden alone is good enough to get them in the playoffs. There is no excuse at all for the Wolves to not be a playoff team. They have a very good PG and arguably the best PF in basketball in Love. Pek is a top 5 center. The supporting cast isn't terrible and they have a solid coach. Barring massive injuries, again, the Wolves should not only be a playoff team, they should be able to compete with whoever they match up against.

So that is six teams I'd pencil in as locks and one that absolutely should be a lock. Which leaves the Lakers, Nuggets, Blazers, and Pelicans for the last spot. The Nuggets are a mystery. The Lakers could be mediocre if Kobe plays 60+ or fucking awful (well that could happen even if Kobe plays 60+ games). The Pelicans are something. Their jerseys are hideous. Their roster is all over the place, but there is talent on it. Portland massively, massively improved their bench. How committed LMA is to being a Blazer probably shifts where they land in the standings. Hopefully they don't have to dump him and can get something quality in return when they inevitably trade him. Dallas just gave Monte Ellis roughly $11 million. That roster is a mess. But Dirk could be enough to get them into the playoffs. I'd probably bet on Portland being the 8th team in the West though.

1. OKC
    2. LA Clippers
    3. Golden State
    4. Houston
    5. San Antonio
    6. Minnesota
    7. Memphis
    8. Portland
    9. Lakers (because Kobe will do everything he can to get a playoff spot and fall just short because the Lakers suck)
    10. Dallas
    11. Pelicans
    12. Nuggets
    13. Sacramento
    14. Phoenix
    15. Utah
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-08-07 at 03:22 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just curious but how does Miami not have the best starting lineup in the league? You have the best player in 30 years, the best SG in basketball, a solid PG who is clutch, a top ten PF and probably Anderson or Battier, both good players.
    The best SG in basketball? That's a joke, maybe 3 years ago but not anymore. Also, I'm curious you say Lebron is the best in 30 years, who exactly is stopping you from saying Lebron is the best of all time? I'm just ignoring the fact for now that elevating Lebron above Michael is incredibly ignorant, but with that statement it's clear that even before Lebron you didn't give Michael the distinction of greatest of all-time.

Saw this article on Bleacherreport discussing the fathers of NBA advanced statistics.

I'm fucking jealous, why do none of you want to work with me and we'll do something cool?!

I was thinking of a way to use that new shot chart technology to determine how good a defender is by showing how close he is to his guy when a shot is taken.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and Clippers are gonna rank 1 lol. I don't see it for Thunder, sorry. KD and Westbrook aren't getting younger and they have no bench.

Guys I'm not fucking around. I need to do something or find someone who's dick I can suck so I can get 2015 All Star tickets. It's in New York and its between Knicks and Nets so...

How do I get tickets to State Farm All-Star Saturday Night?
    Tickets to State Farm All-Star Saturday Night are managed by the NBA for use by the NBA for its guests including players, teams, corporate partners and the media from around the world.
    I'm already pissed off I missed Sper Bowl in NY 2014, don't make me miss this too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Guys I'm not fucking around. I need to do something or find someone who's dick I can suck so I can get 2015 All Star tickets. It's in New York and its between Knicks and Nets so...

I'm already pissed off I missed Sper Bowl in NY 2014, don't make me miss this too.
    To get seats I imagine you either need to:
    1) Pay way to much money on Ticketmaster/Stubhub
    or
    2) Similar to the NHL's corporate circlejerk, I mean All Star weekend, become a corporate sponsor of the league. That will get you the good seats.

Live football is the most overrated experience in sports. Football is the only major sport that is significantly worse live than on television (Hockey is significantly improved live, baseball is better on the radio than live or on tv, and basketball is great either way). Missing out on the Super Bowl was probably a blessing. Tickets cost a shitton of money, most of the game is spent in down time thanks to extended tv breaks, the halftime show is a pain in the ass, everything is massively overpriced even more than usual, and the view is freaking terrible. Yay I have to watch the game through binoculars! Fun! Oh also you can no longer bring any sort of bag into a football stadium so football continues to get worse in person.

Stay home and watch the Super Bowl on tv with some friends, eat a ton of delicious snacks, drink some alcohol, enjoy the commercials, flip over to the puppy bowl at halftime, and not die trying to get out of the stadium following the game. Print a fake ticket and make up a story to tell your kids and grand kids someday about how you were there lol. You'll save roughly $5000 and the experience is vastly improved.
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-08-13 at 07:31 PM.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with Con NFL is so much better on TV then it is live its the other way around for NHL and MLB I think. I would rather go to the WS or Stanly Cup then go to the Super bowl hell I think most people that go to the SB are casual rich fans and media guys.

I am not a hockey fan really, just casually watch the Blackhawks when I can but I definitely agree. Hockey live is an awesome experience whether you are big into the sport or not. Its a lot better than on TV. Basketball I find I miss the commentators when I am at the games, yet I gain more appreciation for what freaks of nature these dudes are. So I think its good either way, its also the most high class experience of any of the sports if you are willing to fork over the dough. Baseball has a nice casual experience at the games, its a place to go with friends and just talk and eat, not so much to watch the sport itself which isnt necessarily a bad thing.

And then theres football which is just pretty bad, hard to see whats going on a good amount of the time especially if you arent sitting by the 50 yard line. Being live you really miss the yellow first down lines, a lot.

So I think we all mostly agree here
    NBA - TV or LIVE
    MLB - LIVE
    NHL - LIVE
    NFL - TV

Even if you ignore the experience of watching the game itself, NFL crowds just suck. It's this mass of drunken barely contained violence that scream obscenities for no reason. I'm not a guy who is squeamish about colorful language either, but it's too much. My kid isn't quite old enough to sit through a whole game yet, but when I do take him to a game my preference is: hockey>basketball>baseball>soccer>women's soccer>lacrosse>badminton>water polo>bowling>poker>tiddlywinks>jump rope>football.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like Antawn Jamison will sign the Bulls. I think he can still contribute for like 12-15 minutes a game.

10+ Year Old Account
    If that's true I hope he's on a one year contract.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that it hasn't happened yet makes me think Antawn is trying to get more than he deserves (which is vet minimum in my opinion).

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Jordan was in the nba in what 84? So that would be 30 years...... well.
    30 years from his ROOKIE season. You know he kinda of played and dominated the league after that for another decade or so. You chose poor words in making your statement, which is more acceptable then what I originally thought you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    You chose poor words in making your statement, which is more acceptable then what I originally thought you meant.
    Yeah, I read that and was just like... uh, pass. I'm generally one of the more anti-Jordan guys around (I just flatly don't like the man), but I'm surely not interested in shrugging him off like he didn't happen.

The NBA's bad in general with players attaining mythical, unquestionable status. The "Bill Russell is the the greatest winner EVER" thing is more or less unquestioned and unquestionable at this point, but it's predicated on the idea that the league as it was in the '60s is remotely relevant.

I'd generally rather compare players to their contemporaries than across eras. Things change too much. Jordan's the great player of the 80s and 90s. Lebron's the best player I've watched in the post-Jordan era, and I say that as a huge Duncan fanboy. Comparing the two seems semi-pointless to me. I don't think anyone in the modern game could generate the volume of high percentage shots that Jordan did, defenses just aren't really built to allow that now. By the same token, I doubt a 1980s version of Lebron would have bothered to develop his 3-point shooting. The game's just different.

Ya I read through everyone's "fuck watching NFL live" comments and I suppose you're right, but the NBA All Star game seems fun to see in person. Not the celebrity/rookie game and not the slam dunk contest night. I like seeing replays, and it's probably more comfortable sitting on my couch and probably splurging and eating some nice snacks. But the actual All Star game. I wanna go. :O hopefully it's in MSG because I doubt I can get in Nets stadium as easily (those dicks never respond to anything).

You guys heard Ty Lawson is in trouble, eh?

Well. I've been thinking. And I don't know why people are placing Rockets so high in playoffs lol. Sure, they're good, but the way people talk about them being so amazing that they're like the 3rd most likely team to win championship. I respectfully disagree.

In fact, here's a list of teams I think are more likely to win a championship than Houston:
    -Heat
    -Indiana
    -Bulls
    -Nets
    -LAC
    -Spurs

I actually think OKC is worse than Rockets.

Best SG (other two are old and injured for this conversation) + Best center >>> 2nd best player in league (2nd best SF) + 5th best PG

Although, this says nothing about win/loss record at end of season.