Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

You know vanilla races are in dire need of an update..

... when you notice how your battle pets have better graphic quality then you do

(pandas not included in this)

Really, I just think when blizzard spends more time on making up to date mini pets and enemy mobs before the actual long time races, it begs the question, if they can produce races in mists that are origanal and unique, with updated models, and even its mini pets... why is it taking this long for vanilla ones?
    Last edited by Trassk; 2013-08-20 at 03:47 PM.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    the Polygons are burning my retina's. ouch!

your pet is so cute!!! i want one
    Hi

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, some people have wanted to see their chracters age in the game.

It's happening, so I guess there is not much to discuss. But I agree. Plants in MoP look better than my character.

And the worst part of the new models are the new skeletons they require/will include. The direhorn minipet model has the direhorn skeleton, the new frog has the old frog skeleton, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierra85 View Post
    the Polygons are burning my retina's. ouch!

your pet is so cute!!! i want one
    i love when pets and mounts match skin tone!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    It's happening, so I guess there is not much to discuss. But I agree. Plants in MoP look better than my character.
    I know right . when I'm fighting mantid on my troll or orc, its just makes me cringe, killing something that looks more updated then I do.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    ... when you notice how your battle pets have better graphic quality then you do

(pandas not included in this)

Really, I just think when blizzard spends more time on making up to date mini pets and enemy mobs before the actual long time races, it begs the question, if they can produce races in mists that are origanal and unique, with updated models, and even its mini pets... why is it taking this long for vanilla ones?
    Enemy models often have way less emotes and animations than the full suite required to update a vanilla race.
    Vanilla races also include varying skin tones, hair/jewlery/facialhair styles, and fixing any serious clipping issues that might occur with the vast number of armor pieces, weapons and mounts.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    They say they are working on them... as to when we'll see them, "Soon™"

http://wowpedia.org/Soon

Deleted
    Yeah thats pretty horrible

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Enemy models often have way less emotes and animations than the full suite required to update a vanilla race.
    Vanilla races also include varying skin tones, hair/jewlery/facialhair styles, and fixing any serious clipping issues that might occur with the vast number of armor pieces, weapons and mounts.
    I'll correct you on that, usually it seems blizzard worries far less about clipping issues then before.
    You know which race has the least clipping issues to it? Human. Because there straight up a fashion model for armor sets, making all other races that hutch over or have odd proportions have clipping issues, including worgen when they carry 2h weapons with a cape up -_-
    #boycottchina

I'll correct you on that, usually it seems blizzard worries far less about clipping issues then before.
    You know which race has the least clipping issues to it? Human. Because there straight up a fashion model for armor sets, making all other races that hutch over or have odd proportions have clipping issues, including worgen when they carry 2h weapons with a cape up -_-
    My point was not that clipping problems don't exist, but that they have to be considered far more than with a custom modeled NPC.

Jin'rokh, for example, never had to be tested on nether rays, carpets, and other weird mounts, or any mount at all. Nor did he have to have various shoulder checked to insure they don't blatantly stick through his head.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    as long as we can until we get Titan out".
    Titan and Starcraft Ghost
    Hi

Deleted
    Human. Because there straight up a fashion model for armor sets, making all other races that hutch over or have odd proportions have clipping issues, including worgen when they carry 2h weapons with a cape up -_-
    I do agree that some clipping issues are just pathetic. I find it silly how some races suffer clipping issues. Your Worgen example is brilliant, because their cloaks clip with ANYTHING that goes on your back. I feel nothing but pity for Worgen protection warriors. It seems the only class that is completely unaffected by the Worgen clipping is the Rogue, only because none of their weapons go on their back. Staves, shields, and all ranged weapons demand that you hide your cloak. It even limits character choice a little - I love wearing cloaks, so on my Worgen Warlock I refuse to equip staves simply because I'd have to hide my cloak.

I've given more examples of clipping below. Only on males, unfortunately, because I haven't played female characters to see their model faults.

- Draenei males with long hair styles - like "Braids" - I LOVE that hairstyle, but I can't use it since it bobs in and out of my Shaman's shield EVERY time I move. I'm limited in what styles I pick because of the accursed piece of metal on my back, which I love to wield but hate because of this.

- Most Night Elf males with long hair styles, like ponytails.

- Long male Pandaren cloaks.

- Blood Elf males with long cloaks - because of their stance, the end of the cloak points out awkwardly at the lower legs. Long staves and two-handed swords go straight through it.

It's sad how it seems every piece of armour and every form of weapon is tested on a human (fe)male. Heck, look at the bow animation - Human males are one of the few racial genders in game that actually shoots an arrow PROPERLY. None of the "Lol, I can shoot a target without even aiming" crap races like male Night Elves and male Worgen do.

This is one of the reasons I do not play a tauren anymore. They are SO bad now its horrible. That and walking anywhere that has a roof makes your camera angle hit the floor.

Moment Tauren get a new model I am going DK tauren again + Tauren shaman,

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NatureDrake View Post
    I do agree that some clipping issues are just pathetic. I find it silly how some races suffer clipping issues. Your Worgen example is brilliant, because their cloaks clip with ANYTHING that goes on your back. I feel nothing but pity for Worgen protection warriors. It seems the only class that is completely unaffected by the Worgen clipping is the Rogue, only because none of their weapons go on their back. Staves, shields, and all ranged weapons demand that you hide your cloak. It even limits character choice a little - I love wearing cloaks, so on my Worgen Warlock I refuse to equip staves simply because I'd have to hide my cloak.
    Saying that, look at the picture of my troll monk, notice how the belt he has on, which blizzard hyped so much about having a unique form of animation to anything before it... yet it clips into my trolls leg.

I mean, do they even test any armor, at all, on any other race, or do they just slap it on a human model and say 'right, that looks good on them that'll do'.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    My point was not that clipping problems don't exist, but that they have to be considered far more than with a custom modeled NPC.

Jin'rokh, for example, never had to be tested on nether rays, carpets, and other weird mounts, or any mount at all. Nor did he have to have various shoulder checked to insure they don't blatantly stick through his head.
    They've never done that for anything. Vanilla races have vanilla sets where shoulders go through their heads, where weapons dig into the ground, weapons that don't attach to their arms, etc.. So do blood elves. And probably every other race. Blood elf males even have THEIR OWN BEARDS CLIP INTO THEIR CHESTS. Have you seen blood elf female cloaks and how those behave? It's almost perverse. Never mind all the hair clipping that's ridiculous on everything.

Anyway, clipping is clearly super way down on the list of things to care about.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

What is REALLY REALLY bothering me isn't the long time it's taking. It's that they constantly claim it's a WIP, but ABSOLUTELY AVOID to show any progress.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope they bring different races/styles of characters as well.
    Dark Iron dwarves come to mind or maybe a diff race of trolls that you can play as.
    Not only would it be fun to play as different races but it would be AWESOMESAUCE for RP.

Also tattoos plz

To be honest as a game designer I'm glad they are not showing their designs yet to avoid uneducated criticism. Personally I am in love with all of my WoW Characters both in how they look and how they animate. I've had them how many years now? haha

I'd rather them take their time with these new models and nail it.

As far as clipping goes. Clipping is often a better solution to animation in a low polygon setting than some of the alternatives. Having a character model be both low polygon and look natural when animating is no easy feat and I'd say bliz has done wonders with the resources available to them.

That's not to say some of the clipping issues cannot be addressed with these new models.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They've been "working" on the new models for years now.

So I expect to see new characters and new textures in old gear, or at least no clipping anymore. But that takes long for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rafal View Post
    To be honest as a game designer I'm glad they are not showing their designs yet to avoid uneducated criticism. Personally I am in love with all of my WoW Characters both in how they look and how they animate. I've had them how many years now? haha

I'd rather them take their time with these new models and nail it.

As far as clipping goes. Clipping is often a better solution to animation in a low polygon setting than some of the alternatives. Having a character model be both low polygon and look natural when animating is no easy feat and I'd say bliz has done wonders with the resources available to them.

That's not to say some of the clipping issues cannot be addressed with these new models.
    I totally agree with you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Buu View Post
    What is REALLY REALLY bothering me isn't the long time it's taking. It's that they constantly claim it's a WIP, but ABSOLUTELY AVOID to show any progress.
    They probably want to show them all together instead of showing just Dwarves and then having everyone who plays other races bitch "why aren't you done with MY race yet?!?!?!?!?"
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.