Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    yes, mindblasting on cooldown is what you want to be doing. the only thing i would ever delay a mindblast for on horridon would be a SWD snipe on an add - and that's just for 1 gcd and only b/c that opportunity to get that SWD orb may not come again that DP cycle.

also, remember that in world of logs you can hit your name, then buffs cast and hit the # link to see when/how you are using your cooldowns, pots, and DP/insanity.

so much of our damage comes from DP/insanity burns that you always want to use your CDs for this. it doesn't look that way in your skada, but you have to factor in that you're getting only 20%ish uptime on your DP/insanity.

Deleted
    Hello,

I'm raidlead of a 2-month old 10 heroic raid (3/12).
    We got a new Shadowpriest recently and he is struggling in damage or atleast he is feeling that way. I would really like to help him fix it or atleast get a new perspective of what SPs are able to deal.

Itemlevel: 519
    Armory: eu. battle. net/wow/en/character/onyxia/V%C3%BArin/simple
    WoL: worldoflogs. com/reports/rt-0zytfxbm1dyyky3o/sum/damageDone/?s=6661&e=7061
    worldoflogs. com/reports/fgril1gqelqumdrq/sum/damageDone/?s=10103&e=10657
    WoL Guild Page: worldoflogs. com/guilds/269912/

The first IDs we claimed it on the Ilvl (was around 505 at the beginning) but now I'm starting to wonder how well SPs scale and if/what he is doing wrong.

Help would be really appreciated.

Cheers
    Schabs

I have never had anyone comment about my dps so I have no idea if I am good or not
    I've been our 10 man guilds only shadow priest for so long, so I can't compare my dps to anyone.

Edit: I have always played priest as main, since 2008 and I have "self-learned" shadow

Ilvl 545
    armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Atfirst/simple
    Last Raid WoL: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-i7ouqfnwwmew1po4/
    note: that was first raid with Lei Shen trinket, just got it last week
    Guild WoL page: http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/243387/

I quess im doing fine? any comments?
    CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x | Heatsink: Noctua NH-U12S | Mobo: Asus PRIME X570-P
    GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 Superclocked | PSU: Corsair 650W RM650x (2018)
    RAM: Corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) Vengeance LPX, DDR4 3200MHz CL16
    M.2: Intel 1TB 660p 1800/1800 MB/s | SSD: Samsung 750 EVO 500GB | HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black
    Case: Fractal Design Focus G | OS: Windows 10 64-bit

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...kzomn/advanced
    So, I'am a raid leader and there is this shadowpriest on my core, I just want to know if he's doing the right gem/reforge things.
    Would you please make this clear to me because im not a shadowpriest indeed.
    He is the lowest DPS on my core and then The higher ilvl.
    I don't know what hes doing wrong. HALP.

Sry bad english, its not my mother tongue.

he should be gemming for socket bonuses for yellow/red sockets at least. he's somewhat stuck over hitcap, and his trinkets are pretty bad. he lost a few mindblasts on the logs i saw on his raidbots, but it wasn't that bad. also, he should be reforging for crit instead of mastery. you stick with crit until you get the UVLS trinket from lei shen, when mastery becomes stronger.

one thing i noticed, though, was that he is using power infusion poorly. if you go to buffs cast on your world of logs, and hit the '#' next to devouring plague and power infusion, he doesn't always seem to be using PI for his devouring plagues. also, he should be using his 2nd potion (and if possible, another power infusion) for his first DP in execute range. since you get SWD orbs in execute range, you're able to get a 2nd DP/insanity burn with the buffs.

Item Level:517
    Expectations: I guess, increasing my dps abit
    Armory Link:http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...l/Philu/simple
    Worldoflogs Link:http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=1169&e=1412

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aminance View Post
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...kzomn/advanced
    So, I'am a raid leader and there is this shadowpriest on my core, I just want to know if he's doing the right gem/reforge things.
    Would you please make this clear to me because im not a shadowpriest indeed.
    He is the lowest DPS on my core and then The higher ilvl.
    I don't know what hes doing wrong. HALP.

Sry bad english, its not my mother tongue.
    His gemming's all wrong, having sub 9k haste at his 532 ilevel is pretty off.
    Above ~505 ilvl:
    Red Sockets:Reckless Vermilion Onyx = (187.2 PP)
    Blue Sockets:Energized Wild Jade = (200 PP)
    Yellow and Prismatic Sockets:Quick Sun's Radiance = (214.4 PP)
    taken directly from http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1701

Can he get the VP trinket? It's better than 522 wooshoolay's - he should check out a gear list - http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php...=3857#iTrinket

Personal preference but I find it hard to do without pandaren speed boot enchant and mindflay glyph. Any type of moving is super crappy for shadow and minimizing the time you do move can only help.

That's just gear stuff anyway, make sure he puts priority on orb-generating abilities and doesn't use the 2nd SW. Just quick random things that he may or may not be doing right. There's really a lot of info. on howtopriest.com and in these forums, tell him get off his butt and read :P Good luck.

Edit - oh yea, here's the haste chart too - http://warcraft.twintop-tahoe.com/?p=577

Item Level: 538
    Expectations: Not to embarrass myself in every way against the other dps
    Armory Link: us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malganis/Delial/simple
    [B]Worldoflogs Link: worldoflogs.com/guilds/266370/

My guild has been working on heroic Lei Shen for quite some time now. I know that, on 10-man in particular, shadow priests are not particularly strong on this fight. That being said, however, people have made comments to me about my dps, and I'm frustrated that it is where it is. I have fixed some things on this fight, but feel "stuck" at this point. I am a healer by preference and habit, but have worked hard this expansion to try to perform well at shadow, and this is demoralizing. Can you see some areas where I might improve?

Can't post links as I just registered, but hopefully what I have is ok.

Item Level543
    Expectations:Improve DPS
    Armory Link:us.battle.net/wow/en/character/misha/Iamstardust/advanced
    Worldoflogs Link:worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-2eksbw3k9259uqqn/
    Raidbots: raidbots.com/epeenbot/us/misha/iamstardust/

So my guild is hitting a wall with heroic Lei Shen. Partly because of low dps on p1, as such, we are required to use heroism. Shadow priests seem to be getting the most blame. I am not perfect, I am looking for help to improve my dps. Same with improving gear with gem/enchant/reforge. Wondering what I can do better.

Thanks for all and any input.

cant post links =(

if you guys can't push p1, you're not going to kill the fight. the only thing that really jumped out at me from your logs was that in all your pulls, you only got 3 SWDs off total. getting SWDs on diffusion chain adds can help a lot. other than that, p1 dps is mostly a matter of coordinating your insanity burns with thunderstruck. your third spriest (lolcomp) is really low dps - idk if he's undergeared or what, but he's doing about half your boss damage on average, which is something you should sort out w/ him.

also, if you're having dps/push issues you should have your holy priest go disc - that's another 20-25k dps on top of another painsup for sitspam. are you guys using /sit spam for your tanks vengeance early in the fight? your tanks' dps seems pretty low, and that would be a big increase right there.
    Last edited by snaxattax; 2013-08-19 at 04:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snaxattax View Post
    if you guys can't push p1, you're not going to kill the fight. the only thing that really jumped out at me from your logs was that in all your pulls, you only got 3 SWDs off total. getting SWDs on diffusion chain adds can help a lot. other than that, p1 dps is mostly a matter of coordinating your insanity burns with thunderstruck. your third spriest (lolcomp) is really low dps - idk if he's undergeared or what, but he's doing about half your boss damage on average, which is something you should sort out w/ him.

also, if you're having dps/push issues you should have your holy priest go disc - that's another 20-25k dps on top of another painsup for sitspam. are you guys using /sit spam for your tanks vengeance early in the fight? your tanks' dps seems pretty low, and that would be a big increase right there.
    Yea. Our 3rd priest is undergeared compared to the rest. And yes our comp isnt ideal. The adds get taunted to melee who stand near the conduit to avoid ranged thunderstruck. So I am never in range to sw:d unless transitioning after thunderstruck. But I do dot them when in range.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yssergil View Post
    Item Level: 538
    Expectations: Not to embarrass myself in every way against the other dps
    Armory Link: us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malganis/Delial/simple
    [B]Worldoflogs Link: worldoflogs.com/guilds/266370/

My guild has been working on heroic Lei Shen for quite some time now. I know that, on 10-man in particular, shadow priests are not particularly strong on this fight. That being said, however, people have made comments to me about my dps, and I'm frustrated that it is where it is. I have fixed some things on this fight, but feel "stuck" at this point. I am a healer by preference and habit, but have worked hard this expansion to try to perform well at shadow, and this is demoralizing. Can you see some areas where I might improve?

Can't post links as I just registered, but hopefully what I have is ok.
    Nothing really looks wrong for your gear, you ditch a lot of socket bonuses - but I can understand the desire to stack haste. A few missing socket bonuses aren't going to significantly change your DPS.

Unless I'm reading the WoL wrong, it looks like you killed H Lei Shen on August 8th? Then killed Ra-den on the 9th? It's pretty confusing actually, it looks like two guilds using the same WoL guild thing - since one group looks to be like 6/13H, and the other is 13/13H?

The top 2 shadow parses for 10H Lei Shen are from Hexn and Aysenqt.

They out-gear you - which is non-trivial - gear is super important in MoP.

You are all using the same talents (Insanity, Divine Insight, Halo), and you all have comparable DoT uptime (your dot uptime is actually marginally higher than either of them). You got 10-12 fewer DI procs than they did however, which is 3-4 extra Devouring Plagues for them. Let's look at DP damage:
    Delial: 8.1M
    Hexn: 13.7M
    Aysen: 13.6M

So that's interesting - because while they had 25% more DP's than you, they did far more than 25% more DP damage than you. I suspect this means they have much higher mastery than you do somehow, since they are likely getting more DI procs off mastery ticks, and they are getting more DP damage every DP, via mastery ticks on DP. Since they have higher DP uptime on you, and you all run Insanity - they will also have more insanity damage:

Insanity Damage
    Delial: 4.4M
    Hexn: 9.4M
    Aysen: 10.5M

So again, despite having only 25% more DP's than you, we're seeing a huge difference in Insanity uptime - more than we would expect for the relatively small discrepancy in extra DP's they had. My guess is you are consistently clipping your third Insanity ticks somehow - which combined with the extra DP uptime they have, is resulting in ~half Insanity damage output.

It's also always important to note AoE damage, since it can change from guild to guild who is in charge of that:

Halo and Mind Sear (+Mind Sear mastery) damage:
    Delial: 3.3M + 3M + 1M
    Hexn: 2.4M + 4.5M + 1.6M
    Aysen: 3.7M + 4.3M + 1.4M

So it appears as though they get more opportunity in their raids to AoE than you do (consistent with their raids parses, since they both aren't competing with as strong a DPS line-up as you are). With that said, you are doing a better job of sweetspoting Halo than the worlds top Shadow parse did - so that despite your lower Sear damage, your Halo damage is making it comparable.

UVLS:
    Both Hexn and Aysen are averaging 50%+ crit on their Shadow Word: Pain's, while you are averaging ~35%. This suggests to me they are making much better use of their UVLS procs than you are - use Weak Auras - make it gaudy so you cant possibly miss it - try to get up VT+Pain during it everytime. You can also see if the raid is willing to give you a closer position to the boss - to shorten the walk-distance of your Appariations and up your refresh chains (sometimes quite dramatically). Remember that gear is also a huge issue here though, not only do they both have higher crit than you - but their average non-crit Pain ticks are over 4k (25%) higher than yours - that adds up really fast over ~500 pain ticks a fight.

Lets take a look at Mind Blast:
    Delial: 7.1M, 32 casts
    Hexn: 9.2M, 35 casts
    Aysen: 10.9M, 44 casts (Aysen got super luck on DI procs however)

So note that despite comparable number of casts to Hexn, you did 2 million less damage overall - that's mostly just gear (+3 casts). Aysen was the luckiest with DI procs, and it shows - he got significantly more MB's than either of you (and yet, it didnt translate too significantly into DP's, which is interesting: he may have been MB/DI'ing at 3 orbs?). For the number of casts, Hexn's only 1.5M behind Aysen's damage - but has 9 fewer casts - it could be Aysen is less geared and just very lucky, while Hexn is just out-gearing both of you significantly.

SW: Death
    Delial: 8
    Hexn: 9
    Aysen: 11

It could be that Aysen is double-tapping, or that her spent longer in execute range - but it appears comparable

Look at the graph data too - Hexn and Aysen are both maintaining DPS through the transitions, while your DPS stops during them - so they are still killing adds while your group has cleared them already (this could also explain the higher AoE they have). They also have spikes to 700k DPS off the pull, while you went to 430k - so improving your initial pull will make that spike bigger.

For the rest of the fight - during the times you are DPS'ing - you are pulling just under 200k DPS. Hexn sine waves between 200-300k (gear), Aysen hangs out at 150-250k (gear + more Orbs than either of you).

During execute, your DPS doesn't shift upward like it should - but Hexn leaps to ~300-350k the whole sub-20%, while Aysen spends the whole phase averaging 400k. There are a lot of mechanics and movement to master during that, and honestly Lei Shen execute phase movement is a good deal of luck for how often you will need to move. Aysen appears to have been able to turret the whole thing without needing to dodge stuff, Hexn had to move but out-gears you both - you appear to have had to move so much that you weren't benefitting from the higher Orb generation of MB+DI+Death very well.

Recap:
    - improve gear (obvious
    - try to improve UVLS dot-applications
    - move closer to the boss (for Appariations)
    - don't clip your Insanities if you can help it (for Orb generation it is of course necessary)
    - Mind sear harder if you can
    - work on your execute phases / movement

There doesn't seem to be anything glaringly wrong though - everything generally looks in order - it's just a combination of being out-geared by Hexn, out-lucked by Aysen - and slightly outplayed by both of them: but your playing very well generally speaking Hopefully the list above gives you pointers on where to improve!
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2013-08-19 at 05:38 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Item Level: 533
    Expectations: Verify if I'm playing correctly or if not what the issues are
    Armory Link: us#battle#net/wow/en/character/sargeras/nixe/advanced
    Worldoflogs Link: www#worldoflogs#com/guilds/118868/

Please replace # with . in the above

Some of the logs are from when I was disc, please disregard. I've also gotten UVLS recently and my meta recently.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Item Level: 528
    Expectations: Would like to find areas for improvement and any minor/major things I am missing
    Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ucena/advanced
    Worldoflogs Link: http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/74268/

Thanks

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixe View Post

Some of the logs are from when I was disc, please disregard. I've also gotten UVLS recently and my meta recently.
    Gear looks fine

Can you give me a date and fight that you were Shadow on? I dug through like 3-4 days of your parses and couldn't find a single fight on which you were Shadow for the kill?
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

really low insanity per DP - are you refreshing dots during your DPs or something? i see a lot of gaps in your buffs cast for insanity, so either you're casting other spells (i didn't see DI procs) or aren't chaining your mindflays together. you want to re-cast your mindflay before the previous mindflay ends so that you avoid these gaps - the only exception is your last insanity cast before your DP falls off.

your haste is somewhat low, which skews this a bit, but you're averaging 4-5 insanity per DP on many fights which is just extremely low. also, if you use phantasm instead of body and soul on iron qon, you can use it to clear the frozen blood debuff from the last spear. it can be useful when getting to people with lightning storm and for moving out of a dead zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Gear looks fine

Can you give me a date and fight that you were Shadow on? I dug through like 3-4 days of your parses and couldn't find a single fight on which you were Shadow for the kill?
    8/5, 8/2, 7/26. I got vision on 8/12, meta on 7/30.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by snaxattax View Post
    really low insanity per DP - are you refreshing dots during your DPs or something? i see a lot of gaps in your buffs cast for insanity, so either you're casting other spells (i didn't see DI procs) or aren't chaining your mindflays together. you want to re-cast your mindflay before the previous mindflay ends so that you avoid these gaps - the only exception is your last insanity cast before your DP falls off.

your haste is somewhat low, which skews this a bit, but you're averaging 4-5 insanity per DP on many fights which is just extremely low. also, if you use phantasm instead of body and soul on iron qon, you can use it to clear the frozen blood debuff from the last spear. it can be useful when getting to people with lightning storm and for moving out of a dead zone.
    Hmm which fight are you looking at?

I also just recorded myself going through the rotation for a few minutes. I didn't bother with fiend/halo just to show the normal rotation.

www#twitch#tv/catastrophy12/b/449381909
    Last edited by Nixe; 2013-08-21 at 11:54 PM.

Item Level: 542
    Expectations: Find, verify and fix my flaws
    Armory Link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...opina/advanced
    WorldOfLogs Link: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...gy/details/17/

Hi
    Before you check my armory and wol, I'd like to point out 2 somewhat important things:

• I'm playing on a laptop and most of the times I'm playing at 15-20 FPS (exceptions are )
    • On Jin'Rokh, Megaera, Primordius, Dark Animus, Iron Qon, Lei Shen and Ra-Den I'm experiencing quite high input lag and sometimes lag-spikes caused by that input lag

Now, I'm no expert at logs, but I have a few assumptions why I'm underperforming:
    1. Low Shadow Word: Death usage
    2. Not enough Devouring Plagues
    3. Not enough Insanities
    4. Sometimes breaking Insanity for powerful DoT refreshes

I'm assuming that part of the problem with Insanity ticks per DP is my lag. I try to clip it, but due to higher lag, my Gnosis bar's latency boxes are pretty wide, so I guess I'm not clipping some part of them correctly. This becomes a problem during BL or under other heavy haste/casting speed buffs when my Insanities are really low-channel time and lots of it gets lost.

As for Shadow Word: Death, I'm probably not sniping enough adds. And I sometimes forget :shy:

I see Yvaelle is giving a lot of constructive criticism, so I'd like to be a target of it as well, please.

Also, is there a Shadow Priest guide with tips and tricks for ToT encounters anywhere? I think that might help me as well.

Ty for your time

you need to mindblast on cooldown. that is why your dps is low. on your horridon fight, you barely cast half of your possible mind blasts. as far as some of the other fights, a lot comes down to your individual guild's approach - things like cascade on durumu if the ice walls are up long enough for two casts, though having 3 warlocks and an ele sham make me think the walls don't stay up very long. also, mouseover macros and some sort of nameplate mod like tidyplates (though it is a bit of a resource hog on 25) for SWD help a lot for sniping.

as far as re-casting insanity goes, you can just spam mindflay to keep from getting gaps between your ticks during lust. as long as you re-cast it before the last tick goes off, the game treats it as one continuously channeled mindflay - the only downsides to the button bashing are spending slightly more mana and potentially delaying a DI mindblast by up to 1 gcd.

Hmm which fight are you looking at?
    go to your wologs, and look at the # of insanity ticks and divide it by the # of DP's cast. you're averaging 5 to 5.5 on most fights. also, go to buffs cast and look at insanity - hit the # link and it will show you on your graph where you cast the spell. it should be a contiguous bar, save for DI procs or UVLS swp. there were several points where you had gaps in your insanities but no active DI proc, and you don't have UVLS. if your dots fall off during insanity, keep doing insanity and recast them after you're done with insanity/mindblast. in practice, you want to be vigilant about dot refreshing when you have 2 shadow orbs, so that once you get your third you can DP->insanity without worrying about anything else.

also, as shadow you want to pot in execute range. you get more out of execute range than you do out of a non-execute bloodlust. the only exception here are fringe cases where a boss goes from execute to dead so fast that you can't get multiple DP's in with the pot. pretty much the only time this happens is on very fast jinrokh kills.
    Last edited by snaxattax; 2013-08-24 at 04:10 AM.

Hi you lovely priest community,
    we had some horrible wipes on Jinrokh this week because of a missing core group but I notice that our shadow priest DPS isn't performing really great, as he is very low dps wise. He complains that his lack of DPS is because he doens't have the legendary meta or a great gear but I feel like he should be able to push a lot more DPS.

Can anyone give me a quick look down on the priest named Daie and perhaps throw a few tips?
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-u6hy2fpttre1xf94/
    Jamshield - Silvermoon EU