Thread: Feral and RoR

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Feral and RoR

Hey all. New Feral kitty druid here.

I just got ahold of RoR and I'm wondering what about my rotation changes with the acquisition of this trinket?

I'm currently not using DoC HT rotation because I'm still just familiarizing myself with how to play feral. I'm aware it is a huge dps increase when played well, but the margin for error is massive and I'm just not there yet with the rotation. Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    The best thing you can do for yourself is make a large aura to trigger for when it procs.

Other then that, the only thing you will want to change about the normal rotation is to re-apply a RoR buffed Rake as the proc is expiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Paloro View Post
    The best thing you can do for yourself is make a large aura to trigger for when it procs.

Other then that, the only thing you will want to change about the normal rotation is to re-apply a RoR buffed Rake as the proc is expiring.
    Rip immediately, if your other trinket procs Rip again. Of course its preferred get off a Rake during RoR with your other trinket procced and with Tigers Fury but that doesn't happen often and especially with the RPPM nerfs. But absolutely you definitely need an Aura for both trinkets.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drweird View Post
    I'm currently not using DoC HT rotation because I'm still just familiarizing myself with how to play feral. I'm aware it is a huge dps increase when played well, but the margin for error is massive and I'm just not there yet with the rotation. Thanks!
    It's not. I'd imagine that you are not very well geared, so playing DoC is a bit more challenging and "slow" (less PS procs and stuff) for you. Combine this with RoR and you've got a spec that relies very heavily on RNG.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Paloro View Post

Huh? This is not true. For example you are very likely to want to override your current Rip even if it has a long duration left. You also want to start use Rake as a combo generator (as long as you are not overriding a stronger rake). For AoE you want to spam thrash instead of swipe etc. Lots of other small stuff you can change to get more out of it as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by inferior2 View Post
    Huh? This is not true. For example you are very likely to want to override your current Rip even if it has a long duration left. You also want to start use Rake as a combo generator (as long as you are not overriding a stronger rake). For AoE you want to spam thrash instead of swipe etc. Lots of other small stuff you can change to get more out of it as well.
    Basically what you said sir.

• Use rake as CP generator until you clip the current one with a weaker one
    • Get up a strong Rip under the duration, (during normal circumstances it's even worth to 4cp apply a RoR buffed Rip if you won't make it to 5cp.)
    • And optimally for single target when achieved the above try to get a thrash with RoR buff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inferior2 View Post
    I suppose I assumed that everyone knows that Rip needs to be refreshed during the proc duration.

The other things you mentioned generally aren't a dps gain. For instance, a 4p buffed Swipe does more damage then a RoR thrash for AoE. Also, using Rake as a combo generator isn't always a good thing during a RoR proc because you might get an unlucky string on non-crits and you won't be able to apply a RoR buffed Rip within the proc duration. In this case, it is much better to use TF and activate your 4p and use mangle (since you will have 40% increased crit).

So overall, for a beginning player (which the OP is), the only other trick (other then the obvious) would be to refresh Rake before the proc ends.

Don't forget your 1:1:1 reforge for rune! Just using the trinket isn't enough. I highly recommend getting Catus.

Quote Originally Posted by Etapicx View Post
    Basically what you said sir.
    (during normal circumstances it's even worth to 4cp apply a RoR buffed Rip if you won't make it to 5cp.)
    Wow really?
    whats difference between 5 cp rip with no RoR vs 4 cp with RoR in dmg?

In my opinion the best advice you can get is from downloading Ovale, and combining it with an Addon called Nerien's Scripts. Set ovale to use the Leafkiller script, and learn the rotation from that. It'll get you using the right abilities at the right time for a single target fight. It will also teach you feral faster than trying to remember exactly what to do in each individual situation.

According to the current build of the Leafkiller script, it's not always true that you want to over write the already existing rip.

Quote Originally Posted by Skadovsk View Post
    Wow really?
    whats difference between 5 cp rip with no RoR vs 4 cp with RoR in dmg?
    Depends on your secondary stats. I remember testing the numbers on the MoP PTR, and a 4cp Rip + DoC was about the same as a 5cp Rip (so the last combo point would be roughly a 25% damage increase for the duration). When RoR procs, depending on your secondary stats distribution, your bleed damage could roughly double. Simple method would be to calculate your mastery levels with and without RoR procs and scale it down by combo point for Rip.

I don't have my Weakaura's in front of me, but I have two that tell me the power difference between Rip and Rake on my targets and the power of a Rip and Rake I could potentially put up with my current buffs/procs/AP/combo points. I'm sure a simple search could yield the WA's or something similar, that's all I really did since Feral is my off-spec and it got rather annoying estimating the values on the fly in my head.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2013-08-26 at 09:57 PM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    I don't have my Weakaura's in front of me, but I have two that tell me the power difference between Rip and Rake on my targets and the power of a Rip and Rake I could potentially put up with my current buffs/procs/AP/combo points. I'm sure a simple search could yield the WA's or something similar, that's all I really did since Feral is my off-spec and it got rather annoying estimating the values on the fly in my head.
    Sorry for going off-topic, but could you give me the export of those weak auras? The one I am using is currently not showing Rip for some reason.

Originally wrote this for someone else but I figure it's applicable here too-

Once Re-Origination procs, the minimum you should do is to make sure you get a rip up and to cast rake at least once during the proc. Ideally you apply rake at both the beginning and end of the proc and also use it for direct damage as much as you can manage -- but if you have T15 4-piece charges remaining and need combo points, then you'll want to mangle instead for the 40% increased crit chance. Obviously, also avoid using rake for direct damage if it'll replace a stronger rake with a weaker rake. If you can spare the energy, it's also good to thrash during the proc (just don't do this if it'll cost you a rip). If your second trinket is not Renataki (and not on ICD), try to wait to apply rip until the end of the proc in case your other trinket procs. Similarly, if TF will come off cooldown during the proc, you can hold off on rip until you have TF up.

Outside of a proc, you should generally try to keep your energy and combo points at such a level that if Re-Origination were to proc, you would be able to get a rip up. This means that whenever you have 10+ seconds on the TF cooldown, you should try to use your finishers at high energy and avoid using thrash at low CP. The idea is that you don't want to sit at simultaneously low energy and low combo points. I did the math on this a while back and as long as you have over 70 energy at the start of a Re-Origination proc -- regardless of how many CP you have -- you're almost guaranteed to get a rip up during that proc. If you have combo points, of course, then you can afford to drop below 70 energy. Also, if TF is coming off cooldown soon, you can just spend energy and CP freely because casting TF during a Re-Origination proc also virtually guarantees that you get a rip up, regardless of your energy/CP state. (Some people actually prefer to save TF for procs, but I don't think this is worth it.)

Incidentally, most of this applies to any 10-second proc, not just Re-Origination -- so in 5.4 it'll apply to Renataki's, Juju, and Haromm's Talisman as well. Even the part about using rake as your primary combo builder still applies for agility procs, for due to its superior attack power scaling, rake's direct damage beats mangle with as few as 3-4 stacks of the Renataki proc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Karlzone View Post
    Sorry for going off-topic, but could you give me the export of those weak auras? The one I am using is currently not showing Rip for some reason.
    Possibly this?

Quote Originally Posted by FeralSynapse View Post
    Don't forget your 1:1:1 reforge for rune! Just using the trinket isn't enough. I highly recommend getting Catus.
    I have Catus but it says that my hit/expertise combo is not an option or something along those lines.... its weird.

I have used Zephyrus for my monk with no issues whatsoever but Catus is giving me a ton of trouble. Any ideas?

this is my armory (yes, I'm aware I have bear tier) http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hikin/advanced
    Last edited by Girthmonster; 2013-08-27 at 10:16 AM.

Deleted
    I have Catus but it says that my hit/expertise combo is not an option or something along those lines.... its weird.

I have used Zephyrus for my monk with no issues whatsoever but Catus is giving me a ton of trouble. Any ideas?

this is my armory (yes, I'm aware I have bear tier) http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hikin/advanced
    Increase the overflow allowance to something higher then 100 (or whatever the defualt is)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aseyhe View Post
    Possibly this?
    I was using the one from OP in that thread, but my rip doesn't seem to work. I'll try out yours. Thx

Increase the overflow allowance to something higher then 100 (or whatever the defualt is)
    I tried that up to about 400 and got the same result.

Deleted
    I tried that up to about 400 and got the same result.
    Can you link your armory by any chance?

Can you link your armory by any chance?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hikin/advanced

I am still gemmed and reforged for bear because maintenance happened before I could change my gems and enchants and such.

Deleted
    Hit: 2550
    Exp: 2551
    Mastery: 4678
    Haste: 4659
    Crit: 4671

RoR proc: 18660 Mastery

Reforges (506g 8s 80c): 12 differences
    Head: None => Critical Strike > Expertise
    Neck: Haste > Hit => Haste > Expertise
    Shoulder: None => Critical Strike > Hit
    Back: Hit > Expertise => Hit > Haste
    Wrist: Critical Strike > Mastery => Critical Strike > Expertise
    Hands: Haste > Mastery => Haste > Critical Strike
    Waist: Haste > Mastery => Expertise > Critical Strike
    Legs: Haste > Mastery => Hit > Critical Strike
    Feet: Haste > Mastery => Hit > Expertise
    Finger 1: Haste > Expertise => Mastery > Critical Strike
    Finger 2: None => Mastery > Haste
    Main Hand: None => Mastery > Expertise

Enchants: 1 difference
    Back: Enchant Cloak - Superior Critical Strike => Enchant Cloak - Accuracy

Sockets: 2 differences
    Chest/Bonus: None => +120 Mastery
    Main Hand/Socket#2: None => White

Gems: 15 differences
    Head/Gem#2: Smooth Sun's Radiance => Deadly Vermilion Onyx
    Chest/Gem#1: Crafty Vermilion Onyx => Delicate Primordial Ruby
    Chest/Gem#2: Smooth Sun's Radiance => Glinting Imperial Amethyst
    Wrist/Gem#1: Smooth Sun's Radiance => Delicate Primordial Ruby
    Hands/Gem#1: Crafty Vermilion Onyx => Delicate Primordial Ruby
    Hands/Gem#2: Smooth Sun's Radiance => Delicate Primordial Ruby
    Waist/Gem#1: Crafty Vermilion Onyx => Delicate Primordial Ruby
    Waist/Gem#2: Smooth Sun's Radiance => Deadly Vermilion Onyx
    Waist/Gem#3: Smooth Sun's Radiance => Delicate Primordial Ruby
    Legs/Gem#1: Smooth Sun's Radiance => Deft Vermilion Onyx
    Legs/Gem#2: Jagged Wild Jade => Glinting Imperial Amethyst
    Feet/Gem#1: Crafty Vermilion Onyx => Delicate Primordial Ruby
    Feet/Gem#2: Crafty Vermilion Onyx => Delicate Primordial Ruby
    Main Hand/Gem#1: Smooth Sun's Radiance => Deft Vermilion Onyx
    Main Hand/Gem#2: None => Delicate Primordial Ruby

Main Hand/Gem#2 The program assumes that you have the extra socket available but if you don't this will still give you proper optimization