Thread: (5.4) PVE Specs

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

(5.4) PVE Specs

which specs you will be using for raiding in 5.4 patch?
    Due the UVLS nerf I'm seriously considering keeping affliction and destruction as my 2 specs.
    And u guys?
    Ghostcrawler is gone, time to celebrate!

Deleted
    Affliction + Demo.

The UVLS nerf hurts but demonology will still be viable. A crit heavy spec has been reported to perform quite competitively.

Destruction is currently one of the worst specs on the PTR except in a few very niche situations. Still waiting on the promised buffs to see if it will be worth playing, as I do quite enjoy the spec.

Demo and Affliction, most likely Affliction for 85-90% of the encounters, Demo for any fights with short, bursty aoe situations.

Hopefully a build that will allow somewhat easy swapping (mast-haste build) and not require an entire re-gem session.

I'm going into the patch with aff/demo and 9880 haste. What I'm most curious to see is the dps difference between a full crit demo build vs aff and the hybrid demo. Not being a min/maxer it's not really an option for me to regem between fights, so unless demo with crit turns out to be dominant it looks like it's aff all the way on current ptr.

Quote Originally Posted by Active8 View Post
    I'm going into the patch with aff/demo and 9880 haste. What I'm most curious to see is the dps difference between a full crit demo build vs aff and the hybrid demo. Not being a min/maxer it's not really an option for me to regem between fights, so unless demo with crit turns out to be dominant it looks like it's aff all the way on current ptr.
    If you are able to get them over the next couple weeks and into 5.4, you could always just swap trinkets. Something like Wush/Breathe/Bindings for affliction and Cha-ye/Timeless Isle trinket for demo (if the crit build ends up being the correct path).

But the affliction players will reforge to mastery + haste (like destro) and demon players will reforge full crit... There is more logical (in my opinion) to keep affliction + destro due to the similarity in reforging... or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Biruta View Post
    But the affliction players will reforge to mastery + haste (like destro) and demon players will reforge full crit... There is more logical (in my opinion) to keep affliction + destro due to the similarity in reforging... or not?
    One little problem...Destro has been gutted and there has been no compensation minus a 10% buff to immolate....atm Destro is not a viable spec for 5.4 minus a couple niche situations...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBGreene View Post
    One little problem...Destro has been gutted and there has been no compensation minus a 10% buff to immolate....atm Destro is not a viable spec for 5.4 minus a couple niche situations...
    This is true, but because of the huge stat variation difference between affliction and demo my current plan is to use aff for everything except probably spoils and galakras. Atm, I can gem full mastery and just reforge for the 9778 haste breakpoint for affliction. This way I can be aff + destruction and only need to reforge when I change specs as I don't have the gold to regem just for 1 fight. Although, I plan on keeping my eye on how a crit demo set-up performs and will swap to that if it seems to be doing really well but I REALLY REALLY REALLY do not want to be doing demo + UVLS come 5.4.

If you thought demo w' UVLS on live was frustrating in terms of RNG dps variance the ptr/5.4 version will make you rage. I'd love to get a wush and hydra before 5.4 but so far our raid hasn't seen hardly any (only coined and not by me lol) so if that doesn't happen I'm aiming for demo w' amp + isle trinket or isle trinket + chanye (if luck really sucks). Maybe aff is strong enough to go off the trinkets I have but we'll see.

Destro has always been flexible in terms of its itemization (at least compared to demo/aff) and I'm hoping blizz pulls some fixes out very soon so we can at least have an offspec.

Quote Originally Posted by Werst View Post
    If you thought demo w' UVLS on live was frustrating in terms of RNG dps variance the ptr/5.4 version will make you rage.
    Wish more people would find this out for themselves, I have been trying and trying to tell people to just drop the UVLS for 5.4, especially if you have any version under HTF.

I have Wush and Breath (while not H nor HTF) so I hope to be in good position. Still a couple weeks left to get at least H Wush and I will be coining Immersus like crazy. The other positive is at least in the first week and going forward we get technically 2-3 shots at the amp trinket from all 3 difficulties. Obv the normal version is the most desirable, but for someone in my position (a little behind the curve of hm progression) I will settle for any of the 3 versions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBGreene View Post
    Well, those "niche situations" are exactly where you would want to use your offspec, aren't they? I guess my mainspec will also be Affliction with Destruction as second-spec for those few encounters where it outperforms the rest. That's kind of what an offspec is used for.
    Guess that's better than a gutted demo-offspec due to bad gems and gear in general.

as long affli is stongest specc most fights i see no problem going mastery/hast-build, with demo offspecc, since you will only usedemo in aoe-heavy fights, where mastery should outshine crit anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Violetti View Post
    as long affli is stongest specc most fights i see no problem going mastery/hast-build, with demo offspecc, since you will only usedemo in aoe-heavy fights, where mastery should outshine crit anyway
    I have done slightly better playing as destruction in aoe-heavy fights than demo.

So far all raid testing ive done I am mostly on top as demo over the 2 affliction warlocks, with a 8100> Mastery build. Saying demo is gutted is an understatement, it's still going great guns and any fight with adds in it, Mammoths Fury and demo is OP. I aint sold on the crit build yet either, I need to test it though.

I'll probably be MS'ing Demo with an Off-spec Aff.

Maybe respeccing to Destro for fights where it's actually better on due to mechanics.

Destro and Afflict

I stayed with you though Cata while outperforming other afflict, demo locks and other "top DPS specs"

Never gonna give you up Destruction~!

Deleted
    Affly only. I don't like the other specs and I doubt any small % in dps will make me play something else, even if my plans to go HC come true.

Deleted
    Affliction, demo for OS - some fights it performs really good.

Deleted
    im gonna go with afflic as MS, as for off specs im still undecided, it will prolly end up being destro as it fits a bit better in terms of gemming and reforging.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lichanator View Post
    So far all raid testing ive done I am mostly on top as demo over the 2 affliction warlocks, with a 8100> Mastery build. Saying demo is gutted is an understatement, it's still going great guns and any fight with adds in it, Mammoths Fury and demo is OP. I aint sold on the crit build yet either, I need to test it though.
    no1 is saying demo is gutted, they are saying destro is gutted.

has anyone done any testing really on what they feel strong as far as trinket suggestions for 5.4? I know stacking two of the 5.4 trinkets on a test dummy and currently live and on there i'm 549 item level and the dps on single target doesn't look too hot. Could also be b/c my skada could possibly be bugged too due to it being ptr.

Any opinions would be awesome what they have seen