Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    On the PTR it was 510 for wing 1, 520 for wing 2, 520 for wing 3. My guess is wing 4 should be tuned for 530 ilvl.

SoO LFR is 496 (confirmed in the "gearing up for 5.4" blue post).

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Yes, seriously. Read again... why should someone who takes time off have it EASIER when it comes to gearing. As easy? Sure - do the same stuff as I did to get the same gear. Hell, I don't even care if they increase drop rates from the prior tier's LFR a bit. But *easier*? What the fuck is the rationale for making it actually a better gearing strategy to skip months at a time because when you come back you'll have some super easy way to gear? Lemme, guess, you don't have an answer which is why all you did was mouth off.

FYI, I've played since late Vanilla, so, you know, the whole thing about actively disliking playing just makes you sound like an idiot.
    Why do you think Blizzard should "punish" players who take time off? In what possible way could that benefit anyone in a subscription game?

Anyone, that is, except for bitter old Vanilla curmudgeons who walked uphill both ways in the sand to Silithus.

If you enjoy playing the game, you will not find it a problem that you have something to do if you stay subscribed continually. If you enjoy playing the game, you won't want to drive returning players away by making their experience suck for them and then taunting them about it.

Can you run flex a limitless number of times per week? (even though you only get loot from the first run through) (this would also mean that you can guarantee getting the meta mount on the first week)

And also if your a 13/13 raider is it reasonable to expect a full clear of flex in the afternoon on launch day before normal raid time starts?
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    Why do you think Blizzard should "punish" players who take time off? In what possible way could that benefit anyone in a subscription game?

Anyone, that is, except for bitter old Vanilla curmudgeons who walked uphill both ways in the sand to Silithus.

If you enjoy playing the game, you will not find it a problem that you have something to do if you stay subscribed continually. If you enjoy playing the game, you won't want to drive returning players away by making their experience suck for them and then taunting them about it.
    How is it a punishment? You do the exact same things everyone did before. Nobody is asking you to run tot lfr twice the amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Can you run flex a limitless number of times per week? (even though you only get loot from the first run through) (this would also mean that you can guarantee getting the meta mount on the first week)

And also if your a 13/13 raider is it reasonable to expect a full clear of flex in the afternoon on launch day before normal raid time starts?
    There will only be the first wing open, so sure it is.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

10+ Year Old Account

You're not very bright are you? Requiring someone who took time off to put in the same effort to get gear as someone who didn't take off any time is punishment... how? Oh and you STILL didn't answer my question. But then.... not the brightest bulb in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post

The first 4 bosses on Flex are faceroll with 530+ ilvl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keashaa View Post
    Flex mode of wing 1 was tested with item level scaling to 510, so I'd assume that will be the min item level required.
    510 ilvl, with 90% of the testers being premade guild groups.
    99.99% of your usual pugs won't have ANYWHERE NEAR the skill level of a premade guild group.
    520 is my vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're not very bright are you? Requiring someone who took time off to put in the same effort to get gear as someone who didn't take off any time is punishment... how? Oh and you STILL didn't answer my question. But then.... not the brightest bulb in the house.
    Requiring someone who took time off to put in the same amount of effort as someone who has been playing all along in order to catch up is horrible for the game.

It's horrible for the players who can't catch up to "what the cool folks are doing" and it's horrible to the cool folks because they can't find two more people who are geared for their 10 man raid. It's horrible for Blizzard because both groups of people become frustrated and quit.

If you are only playing the game to collect gear, and gearing is how you measure your success in the game, then ultimately WoW is not going to be that much fun for you, because gearing is not awesomely fun by itself. And anyway, gear is a tool, and a tool that's required to do things in the part of the game that focus is on these days (current level 90 content), and people who pay their $15/mo have a right to expect relatively "fair" access to the tools they need, to play the part of the game they expect to play.

I'm not sure why you chose to insult me instead of posting a thoughtful reply, but whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guys and Gals, the topic was created by OP to discuss the minimum ilvl for FLEX. Arguing how to catch up, who's played the game more etc - derails the thread. Please get back on topic.

PS, if you wish to argue with someone, you can do it via PMs.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The thing is, I don't think anyone can know now exactly what ilevel a pug will need to be reasonably successful in Flex, because no one knows the final numbers Blizzard will tune it to.

However, I think that in the case of a group of friends (who don't mind wiping a few times, just not 10 or 20 times per boss), who haven't done any normal mode content, Blizzard probably expects an average ilevel of 502-505. It's possible to hit 520 or higher without ever setting foot in normal mode but that's not the target audience.

Now, a pug will need better gear to compensate for the lack of friendliness and also the impatience with wipes that groups of quasi-strangers have. So, if a 502 group of beer-drinking buddies can clear the first wing of Flex, you will probably want 510-515, or even 520, from the group of impatient poorly socialized basement-dwellers.

However, I think that in the case of a group of friends (who don't mind wiping a few times, just not 10 or 20 times per boss), who haven't done any normal mode content, Blizzard probably expects an average ilevel of 502-505. It's possible to hit 520 or higher without ever setting foot in normal mode but that's not the target audience.
    No way. Flex drops ilvl 540 loot.

And what do you mean the target audience doesn't have 520+ ilvl, or even implying they haven't set foot in normals. The target audience *is* doing normals at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post

And what do you mean the target audience doesn't have 520+ ilvl, or even implying they haven't set foot in normals. The target audience *is* doing normals at the moment.
    This. Plus don't forget about timeless isle and the gear you can get from there. Free 535s (albeit kinda grindly).

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

I'm running a flex raid with my guild on the first night. Our guild has two raid teams who have cleared Lei Shen normal and done a couple heroics, and a bunch of people who have only done LFR or who haven't raided this expansion. I'm asking for everyone to bring their best-geared character on the first night, but I'm not going to require a minimum for our social members. I don't plan to exclude any social members. I figure to get 12-15 of our raiders and 5-10 non-raiders.

I'm not excluding anyone due to gear.

I think I'll let my experiences of the first week guide my decisions for second and subsequent weeks. I'll probably put a limit of once to carry a non-raider in low gear, and a limit of how many below-500s we'll carry. But part of the joy of flex is the guild's new ability to gear up someone's fresh alt. I don't want to throw that away, I may want that for myself some time.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post

/facepalm

The target audience is 1/12N. The raiders who are progressing in normal have ... normal ... and have no reason to be in flex at all other than for fun runs with their friends.

If a group of beer drinking buddies can't clear the first wing in 3-6 hours starting in 505 or at most 510, Flex has no reason to exist.

If it turns out to be too hard for that, I guarantee you Blizzard will nerf it hard within 1-2 weeks, till it is doable under those conditions, and quite possibly within 3-4 days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    500 should be fair, i doubt flex will be that hard.

This is coming from someone with 521 item level and 3/12 ToT Normal progress. (I would have done more but i caught a cold and missed the the last few raids my guild did before disbanding).

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    This. Plus don't forget about timeless isle and the gear you can get from there. Free 535s (albeit kinda grindly).
    What is "free" about "grindy"?

It's free but you have to work for it?

Free as in not free?

What sort of wiring do you have in your noggin anyway?

What is "free" about "grindy"?

It's free but you have to work for it?

Free as in not free?

What sort of wiring do you have in your noggin anyway?
    Because three to four days for a FULL SET (one hour / one and a half per item) is too hard. Geez that's like heroic dungeon speed in acquiring items. Guess they should be available at a vendor which pays you to get them.
    Last edited by Fluorescent0; 2013-08-29 at 06:36 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    Because three to four days for a FULL SET (one hour / one and a half per item) is too hard. Geez that's like heroic dungeon speed in acquiring items. Guess they should be available at a vendor which pays you to get them.
    No one who needs that gear is going to be getting a full set of it 4 days after release even on PvE servers.

Blizzard might figure that someone should be expected to pick up one piece of 535 before going into Flex, but that's about it.

Blizzard intends 502 per their PTR testing, but realistically I would expect group leaders to set requirements to hover around whatever it currently takes to get into ToT pugs on your server. This would be about 520 here.
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2013-08-29 at 11:16 PM.

510+, ideally 515-520.

Rationale:

I'm in a mix of normal ToT gear, ToT LFR and a couple of pieces from T14 (dont ask...). Not everything is upgraded, but a lot is and I'm 520.

500... I'm sorry, but if you're around 500 right now you're either very recently dinged or incredibly lazy since ToT has been out for 5 months and LFR gear from there is 502.

So, somewhere between 500 (lazy) and 520 (some experience in regular ToT probably) feels right as a minimum.
    Lazy ? Having 9 toons between 500 and 510ilvl I don't see how I'm being lazy. Also I can guarantee I can out preform most people @ 520ilvl with all my characters. Pugs are hit and miss, on my server I know mostly who's good, and the rest will be trial and error I'm not going to reject people just because they're not 520ilvl+. How ever I will remember / blacklist people that are trash no matter the ilvl and not invite them in the future. Also let's be real a pug hardmode LFR is nothing compared to real pugging.