Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Your Back and You (While Playing WoW)

Urgent Message brought to you by one WoW player to another! There's a "TL;DR" at the bottom, so if this looks too lengthily to you - by all means - scroll on down to get the quick overall message I'd like to convey to you.

My Message To You

Whether you're a hard-core raider, an intense pvp'er, a casual gamer, or a role player extraordinaire - you're *more than likely* sitting in a chair.

Now, sitting in a chair can be a great way to "take a load off" or grab a worthy moment of rest. But once you start sitting there for lengthy time periods such as that 1-3 hour PvE raid, those 15-30 minute PvP battles, farming hours for achievements etc. - you become what is called sedentary. Becoming sedentary, quite literally, kills you.

Think about the average office worker’s day: They commute to work, sitting. They spend four hours at their desks in the morning, sitting. They have an hour lunch break, sitting. They wrap up their workday with four more hours at their desks, sitting. They commute home, sitting. They eat dinner, sitting. They watch a few hours of TV, sitting. That’s a whole lot of sedentary time! Does it sound uncomfortably similar to your own workday?

Furthermore..

On top of that, now you're playing WoW, sitting.

Phantom back pain is the #1 Health Problem in the workplace, and it directly carries over into your lifestyle if you're playing WoW for extended periods of time!

I don't want to bore you with statistics, non-correlational findings, or slide-shows drilling you with why you shouldn't be sitting. What I want to do is challenge, no, IMPLORE you to break up long periods of sedentary sitting to improve your quality of life and overall muscle, tendon, and skeletal health.

There's a reason sitting "Indian style or as the Asians Do it" has been around for thousands of years. These people figured out that sitting in a 90 degree angle chair doesn't give you "better back support", it RUINS your back and causes a myriad of problems that become a trickle-down effect.

Doing Something About It

You may ask, "Well okay..but how can I change my routine to limit my sedentary sitting habits?" Here is a list of things for you to try, and I guarantee you will feel better about yourself, feel healthier, and have a better outlook on life.

-Instead of a chair, use a Core Medicine Ball as commonly seen in gyms. It activates your core, stabilizes your spine, gives you a WORKOUT while sitting and it's fun..you can bounce around!

-While you're in that Dungeon, Battle-ground, or Looking-For-Raid que - Get up and do some push ups, pull-ups, jumping-jacks, or jog in place!

-Instead of taking a prescription from a doctor for your "Phantom Back Pain", visit a Chiropractor. They will do wonders for your skeletal system. Don't believe me? Research it yourself!
    __________________________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________

TL;DR

Sitting RUINS your back, degenerates your muscle structure surrounding your back and organs, causes a myriad of health problems, and is completely unnecessary. Exercise, breaking sitting routines with intermittent jumping jacks, push-ups, pull-ups etc. can and will increase your mental/physical health greatly. WoW is a hell of a game, and loads of fun; have that fun carry over into your mental/physical health by doing these simple things each day in your routine.

From one WoW player to another, may Elune shine on you, Lok-Tar Ogar, and stop SITTING!
    Last edited by TheWorkingTitle; 2013-08-29 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Needs more Pizazz to attract viewers apparently

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I do have back pain. Have had it for awhile now.

But I periodically get up for breaks and enjoying life- you know, stuff other than WoW. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Inb4 "Anecdotal evidence blahhhhhhhh!"

But I sit in front of a computer for 10 or more hours a day up to 3 or 4 hour sessions. My eyes don't bother me and my back and neck, while not in optimal condition don't warrant any thought. So I'd say this is an exaggeration.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Inb4 "Anecdotal evidence blahhhhhhhh!"

But I sit in front of a computer for 10 or more hours a day up to 3 or 4 hour sessions. My eyes don't bother me and my back and neck, while not in optimal condition don't warrant any thought. So I'd say this is an exaggeration.
    I've been sitting 10 hours a day or more in front of the computer for the past 5 years or so....
    Only now did I notice my eyes a bit ''tired''? and a bit of pain on my shoulder/neck area.

"Inb4 "Anecdotal evidence blahhhhhhhh!""

I tried to steer clear of the statistical breakdown of the matter. I just wanted to bring up some food-for-thought substance to being healthier while playing WoW.

"But I sit in front of a computer for 10 or more hours a day up to 3 or 4 hour sessions. My eyes don't bother me and my back and neck, while not in optimal condition don't warrant any thought. So I'd say this is an exaggeration. "

Just because it doesn't warrant any thought from you right now doesn't mean you can't alter your regimen to lay down a better foundation for health later in life. I'm glad you aren't experiencing anything worthy of distraction health wise!

10+ Year Old Account
    computer chair and posture are very important.

try to sit correctly and stand up after every wipe, stretch, look around etc
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    "Inb4 "Anecdotal evidence blahhhhhhhh!""

I tried to steer clear of the statistical breakdown of the matter. I just wanted to bring up some food-for-thought substance to being healthier while playing WoW.

"But I sit in front of a computer for 10 or more hours a day up to 3 or 4 hour sessions. My eyes don't bother me and my back and neck, while not in optimal condition don't warrant any thought. So I'd say this is an exaggeration. "

Just because it doesn't warrant any thought from you right now doesn't mean you can't alter your regimen to lay down a better foundation for health later in life. I'm glad you aren't experiencing anything worthy of distraction health wise!
    Probably, but (very, very) unfortunately for me I've lived my entire life by living in the present, so though I make stupid choices every day I can't be bothered to regret them or do anything about it. lmao

I'm no doctor so I have no idea if this is relevant but I very rarely sit in the traditional way. Usually with both legs propped up and leaning back or (almost always) with one leg crossed beneath the other on the chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    I've been sitting 10 hours a day or more in front of the computer for the past 5 years or so....
    Only now did I notice my eyes a bit ''tired''? and a bit of pain on my shoulder/neck area.
    To alleviate your shoulder/neck pain do neck stretches (lean your head forward, back, and rotate very slowly intermittently), and look down at your posture while sitting to make sure your shoulders aren't slumped forward (This puts massive pressure on your neck and vertibrae)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Probably, but (very, very) unfortunately for me I've lived my entire life by living in the present, so though I make stupid choices every day I can't be bothered to regret them or do anything about it. lmao
    That's rather unfortunate that you don't plan ahead. There's a quote that goes along the lines of - "Nature gives you the face you have at 20. Life shapes the face you have at 30. But at 50 you get the face you deserve.". - I think the same can be said for your body. I'd urge you to give it some thought!

Please do not respond to threads or posts with reaction images, reaction gifs, etc. MMO-Champion isn't intended to be an imageboard-style site, so use your words! Thanks.
    Last edited by Daetur; 2013-08-29 at 03:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does this mostly apply for those who sit in a "proper sitting position" all the time? Because I don't know how people even do that, I'm frequently moving around in this chair and "sitting" in positions an employer prob wouldn't approve of (which kind of worries me a little if I could find a sit down job like that).

Really the only trouble I've had was hand/wrist/lower arm pain, though work (not a computer job) in particular was helping to aggravate that on top of extensive computer use at home (not just gaming), but wrist rests for the mouse and keyboard helped a lot after a bit.
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2013-08-29 at 03:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone's different. I for one have never had back problems from sitting. And if I did, all I had to do was move around some. Best medicine there is for back pain.

Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    Does this mostly apply for those who sit in a "proper sitting position" all the time? Because I don't know how people even do that, I'm frequently moving around in this chair and "sitting" in positions an employer prob wouldn't approve of (which kind of worries me a little if I could find a sit down job like that).
    The thing is, there is NO proper sitting position. The 90 degree angle of a chair is bio-mechanically terrible for your spine. Imagine standing up. Your spine has a natural curve, like a wave. Now imagine bending yourself to sit in a chair - that's virtually crunching your body in half into a C-shaped Slump.

The best thing you can do to help your back is to sit on a medicine ball because it activates your core (abdominal muscles, lower back etc) and stabilizes your spine!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    Everyone's different. I for one have never had back problems from sitting. And if I did, all I had to do was move around some. Best medicine there is for back pain.
    You did exactly what I'm suggesting. You stopped sitting and became active/mobile! Aka, you weren't sedentary anymore!

-Instead of a chair, use a Core Medicine Ball as commonly seen in gyms. It activates your core, stabilizes your spine, gives you a WORKOUT while sitting and it's fun..you can bounce around!
    http://vimeo.com/21800285

All I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    That's a funny satire! Although I'd point out there are whole work offices where they no longer have chairs but use medicine balls and have time periods of stretch/aerobics in between.

Schools are JUST now switching from chairs to medicine balls. Sitting in a chair is horrible for your back. Have you ever sat in a chair for a while and noticed yourself slumping or sliding down the chair (so your legs become straight)? That's because your back is telling you to straighten itself out, because it's in a C-shaped slump for far too long!

Sooooo.....what you're telling me is.....Blizzard needs to get WoW working with the Occulus Rift and Omni?

Quote Originally Posted by Destroxo View Post
    Kids nowadays *sigh*

Back in my day, WE BUILT FORTS WITH STICKS AND WE LIKED IT! /shakes cane

On topic: I use a posturepedic chair and work out my back, working out regularly definitely helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Sooooo.....what you're telling me is.....Blizzard needs to get WoW working with the Occulus Rift and Omni?
    Excuse my ignorance..what are the Occulus Rift and Omni? Would love to comment further..but I have not a clue what that is :\

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Kids nowadays *sigh*

Back in my day, WE BUILT FORTS WITH STICKS AND WE LIKED IT! /shakes cane
    Hahaha! A lost art..fort building. Up in trees, in the woods. Now people see them and wreck them. This could start me on a whole other tangent about getting proper sunlight(3 hours minimum of real sun!) for your eyes..but I think that's for another time

Excuse my ignorance..what are the Occulus Rift and Omni? Would love to comment further..but I have not a clue what that is :\
    Heheh

Occulus Rift is a new device being developed that offers 3D display through a wearable headset. Response so far has been extremely positive, though you'll need to google for all the technical details on the method it uses for displaying 3D, though I know it's a separate display for each eye to give it the impression. Turn your head left, you look left in game.

The Omni is an omni-directional treadmill which means you walk = your character walks in game. You turn = character turns in game.

Omni is kinda loud, though.

That's a funny satire! Although I'd point out there are whole work offices where they no longer have chairs but use medicine balls and have time periods of stretch/aerobics in between.

Schools are JUST now switching from chairs to medicine balls. Sitting in a chair is horrible for your back. Have you ever sat in a chair for a while and noticed yourself slumping or sliding down the chair (so your legs become straight)? That's because your back is telling you to straighten itself out, because it's in a C-shaped slump for far too long!
    Because animals aren't designed to sit in for long periods of time.
    It has nothing to do with chairs vs other sitting objects.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    You must be different than everyone else in the world.